IGNORED

Texas education board to rekindle evolution debate

doggie

Can we teach norse creationism? Because I always loved the idea the world came about from a giant cow licking a giant ball of ice.

I was taught evolution in High School (I graduated in 2009) but then again my school was one of the most liberal in the state . I guess some people want to have another spokes monkey episode like it's 1925. I live in TX and I can safely say that not many people I know are very fond of Gov. Perry right now (if they ever were at all).

I wasn't taught evolution in school (this was 1975 and Mel and Norma Gabler had their stranglehold over textbooks). Yet again I am rather mortified to admit that my higher education (BA and law degree) came from Texas.

Governor Perry apparently doesn't care what you or other Texans think. He believes GAWD is calling him to run for president. :scared-yipes: Unfortunately, I now live in Arizona, where Know-Nothingism is rampant.

Can we teach norse creationism? Because I always loved the idea the world came about from a giant cow licking a giant ball of ice.

Always found it very interesting that it's only Christian creationism and never all the creation stories. Those who push for the equal time - approach - that kids should learn as much about the Garden of Eden as they do about The Origin of Species - are full of shit. They have zero interest in equal time. Getting Christian creation theory into the schools is the first step toward tossing out troublesome sciences that make the Christian agenda so hard for free thinkers.

Also, I worked for Harcourt/HMH before they laid off almost everyone in Austin. I don't know how much most people know about textbook production but a handful of states call the shots: Texas, California, Florida and New York. The science books Rhode Island buys for its schools are generally repackaged versions of whatever the big four demand. The don't have the money to demand that a publisher create a text for their specific demands and curricula. Once Texas or California insist on an "equal time" or creationist inclusion, it trickles down to affect other states. Don't even get me started on the horrific impacts Texas could have on American history texts if this crap is not stopped immediately.

I went to public school and college in Texas. My education in high school was excellent and my college education taught me to think critically. I graduated from college in 1994. It sickens me that this lunatic fringe is destroying that which took generations to build - good, standard, free education.

even if they got their way the fights over exactly what interpretations would just start up. if there is one truth in the world it is christians (all religions) cannot ever come to an agreement on much of anything.

I used to try to explain to them the idea of a common ancestor but it never works.

I've had pretty good luck by asking the fundy person (ususally a door-to-door conversionist) is they have any cousins. If they say yes, I point out that they and their cousin have the same grandmother or grandfather. I point out that even though they share the same grandparent, their cousin and they are very different people. Likewise, "monkies" and humans share the same evolutionary "grandparent", but they aren't the same animals.

Also, if they're going to be teaching ID in non-religious classes, I want to demand they teach other creation legends as well. I think the Egyptian one has a god ejaculating into the Nile river. After all, all those other tales of creation are exactly as likely as the Christian theory of ID.

Good news, lilwriter85. It's too bad that school boards have to get bogged down in these silly repetitive debates. Creationism has been rebuffed again and again, but they keep trying - wasting time and money as they go.

To whoever said "dumb as a Texas textbook" - mind if I use that?

I'd love for my kid to learn about creation stories, but not in science class.

Good news, lilwriter85. It's too bad that school boards have to get bogged down in these silly repetitive debates. Creationism has been rebuffed again and again, but they keep trying - wasting time and money as they go.

To whoever said "dumb as a Texas textbook" - mind if I use that?

I'd love for my kid to learn about creation stories, but not in science class.

I was a bit surprised that the board approved the pro evolution materials. I also wouldn't mind various creation stories being taught in a religion or cultures class but I agree definitely not a science class.

Believe me, I'm an anthropology major and I'm interested in paleoanthropology (AKA hominids that existed prior to Homo sapiens), so when people claim that we evolved from chimps I just shake my head and give up on them. I used to try to explain to them the idea of a common ancestor but it never works.

This is completely OT, but I think paleoanthropology sounds absolutely fascinating. I'm in my 30s and if we learned anything about evolution, I don't remember much. I've been spending the last year or so trying to catch up. I'm going to have to add this to my list of things to read more on.

This thread is actually one of the reasons why I'm glad we homeschool. I don't want folks like those in Texas mucking around in what my children are taught about any subject let alone science (or Oklahoma ala "Flock of Dodos" on Netflix). My oldest is in first grade this year and we're going to start with evolution as the foundation for science. I have no idea when he'd learn it in school and I'm thankful we'll be able to miss out on the "controversy"/selective editing. BTW, and this is also slightly OT, but for those with young kids, homeschooled or not, I highly recommend Charlie's Playhouse (http://www.charliesplayhouse.com). Their timeline is a huge hit with our kids.

I thought that rain was the clouds crying because they misbehaved, and thunder was god spanking them. My parents loved to come up with BS-stories like that. God farting. That's hilarious!

I'm all for teaching creationism in schools, but in a religious studies class that includes discussions on all sorts of world religions and not just Christianity. You don't teach Math in English so why teach Religion in Science?

Personally I favor a world religions class being taught in public schools because ignorance breeds fear, and knowledge breeds understanding. But no, won't happen on the widescale because of the Christians who think PUBLIC schools should promote CHRISTIAN ideas and ignore the rest of the public.

I also get extremely annoyed with people who want to teach Creationism in public schools. They tend to ignore that not all children in public schools are being raised in Christian households.

You think they care? What with Chuck Norris and other idiots wanting prayer to be mandated in public schools?

You think they care? What with Chuck Norris and other idiots wanting prayer to be mandated in public schools?

I agree they don't care. The guy I mentioned in my previous simply didn't care about non-Christian children in schools. I agree with you on the world religions being taught in schools, it would be a good thing but you like said I also don't think it would ever happen especially because the hate or misunderstanding of religions like Islam, Buddhism and others.

We had a world religions class in my high school as an option. I took it--it was fascinating. But I live in Canada. Do you mean to tell me something like that would never happen in the States?

We had a world religions class in my high school as an option. I took it--it was fascinating. But I live in Canada. Do you mean to tell me something like that would never happen in the States?

I could maybe see world religions classes being in taught in some parts of the U.S. I think maybe California would be the best bet. But I doubt places in the South would allow world religions classes.

This whole "debate" makes me want to cry and throw up. I was taught about evolution in sixth grade during the fucking Kennedy administration, for God's sake, and all of a sudden it's controversial?

Archived