IGNORED

Texas Public Schools Teaching Creationism, 'End Times

doggie

As someone very not religious, of course I find this (and so many other Texas politics) disturbing. However, two things. In that article are interesting...one is what the SMU prof mentions about these classes potentially causing legal issues for the districts offering them. That gives me some hope that some liberal group might take up the charge against this. (However, because there are only 57 districts offering there type of electives, perhaps not. That sounds like a lot but honestly, in Texas, that's a drop in the bucket. The DFW metroplex area easily has 20+ school districts alone.) if these classes were taught as impartial religious studies (I myself had some great classes in this at SMU), that'd be great; as it is, many districts are barely scraping by with basic academic standards.

I have three kids in Texas public schools--grades 12, 10 and 6--all have been in the public schools since kindergarten. We are in one of the better urban districts in our city, and my children have been getting a wonderful education. Their science classes are actual science, and if there's a Bible elective at the high school, I haven't heard about it--I suspect not, however.

Judging by my high school senior son's SAT and AP test scores, not to mention the wide range of his intellectual curiosity, he could hold his own with any high school student from any school, anywhere in the U.S.

There is a world of difference between the good urban school districts and the poor, small rural districts where you are more likely to find such blatant violations of the separation of church and state. Not to excuse the crazy but even in Texas, we're not all crazy.

That Independent Lens show was fascinating. It was like real scientists vs people who had no scientific understanding. They were saying, you never get anyone coming in challenging the theory of gravity, or anything like that. But when it comes to evolution suddenly everyone has an opinion. Scientific theories are tested and undergo a process that cannot be used on creationism. So creationism is not a scientific theory so why is it in a science textbook?

• 2 weeks later...

well lets hope so as they dictate what text books contain.

http://www.big1059.com/cc-common/news/s ... e=10806921

The head of the Texas Board of Education has provided assurances to Democrats in the State Senate that only Darwin's Theory of Evolution will be taught in public school science classes in the state, 1200 WOAI news reports.

"I do not want in the textbooks Creationism or Intelligent Design," Barbara Cargill told Senators who are considering her renomination as Chair of the 15 member board. "It is all the science, so, yes, I will stand by the position that those should be taught at home or in the church."

Archived