IGNORED

The Maxwells heading west

WonderingInWA

And as a side note, if it comes out of the ocean and is remotely edible, I will eat it. I live in what is probably the best city in North America for seafood lovers, and I suspect I will never be able to leave.

The only fish I dislike and will not eat are catfish, tilapia, and carp. And while they're tasty, I feel bad about eating squid and octopus because they're so freakishly smart, so I don't eat them very often.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about lobster is making me hungry! I like most seafood even though I didn't have much growing up (save for fish). However, my husband reaaaally loves seafood and so I've come to have a larger appreciation of them after we married. Lobster is quite expensive for a large family so I can believe that the Maxwell children have never tasted it. Then again, didn't they use to live in Washington state in the 80's?

Seafood can be an acquired taste for some. However, that's never been an issue with me. I LOVE shrimp and tilapia and crab and yes, my in-laws have even taught me the joy of lobster eating! This, despite living in a landlocked state. I'm glad I like seafood. It's healthier than beef and pork and offers an alternative to the meats they have in the midwest. I have never liked steak or hamburger meat. Give me some nice crab legs or juicy lobster any day!

Tilapia -- blech! There's a reason why it's cheap.

And yes, the Maxhells lived in the Seattle area when Stevie worked for Boeing, but lobster isn't caught here (it's available in the grocery stores, however). It's very expensive. I wonder -- is it as expensive on the east coast?

We eat a lot of Dungeness crab here, and salmon (wild only!), and cod and shrimp. I try not to think about the shellfish being bottom-feeders and how dirty the oceans are...

It's probably a relief to be able to just sit and do nothing, rather than be constantly busy doing things like polishing kitchen cupboards and cleaning ceiling fans. (Or maybe I'm just projecting-the 16 hr flight from Sydney to Vancouver without having to do anything or small children to attend to is my idea of a good time :shifty: )

I've always thought it'd be great to take a trip in a bus like Uriah, it's a house on wheels pretty much - because you're just rolling along without any tasks, BUT! you're also not crammed into a tiny seat where you can barely stretch your legs for hours and hours. (Chicago - Tokyo is more than quite enough for me, thanks!)

Just lounging around on the sofa, maybe reading some books in the bunk... listening to radio... oh wait I guess we'd be expected to be doing Bible studies.

Yeah I'd want to take a trip in a bus like Uriah but NOT on a Maxwell trip! :lol:

They probably find some way to make the bus ride not relaxing at all. They probably expect them to sit in silence and read the Bible, or pray the whole way there.

They probably find some way to make the bus ride not relaxing at all. They probably expect them to sit in silence and read the Bible, or pray the whole way there.

off to the Prayer Closet ILoveJellybeans, you forgot Stevie's back rub :penguin-no:

I always presumed Stevie's backrub was their code word for sex.

How many hours am I going to be in there for that?

I always presumed Stevie's backrub was their code word for sex.

How many hours am I going to be in there for that?

You'll be in there until they put up their next conference update. You might luck out and it won't be long (the blog has been silent -- I guess they're still in shock over Eagle Fun Days and all the heathens that come out in shorts and tank tops).

Go straight to the prayer closet now. Meanwhile, we'll figure out how to let you know when you can come out.

Okay, so maybe (good) lobster isn't as ubiquitous in landlocked Kansas as it is on the eastern seaboard or other coastal areas, but it's not exactly an exotic food (surely there are Red Lobsters in Kansas?) Only the Maxwells would make a big honkin' deal out of trying it. And what's with the down under bit?

Le Loobster...

titus2.com/blog/index.php/2008/10/03/a-delicacy-from-down-under/

For the record, I'm not a fan either, despite trying it numerous times and in various preparations from some of the best regional restaurants and food stands. I don't ever recall recoiling in horror however.

Thanks for the link! I don't remember seeing that post. I agree with whomever said that Steve prepared it in an awful way on purpose so the kids wouldn't like it. I'd wager he's had it prepared well in the past and liked it.

I've lived most of my life in the Midwest (Chicago area) and most everyone I know likes seafood, including sushi.

And as a side note, if it comes out of the ocean and is remotely edible, I will eat it. I live in what is probably the best city in North America for seafood lovers, and I suspect I will never be able to leave.

The only fish I dislike and will not eat are catfish, tilapia, and carp. And while they're tasty, I feel bad about eating squid and octopus because they're so freakishly smart, so I don't eat them very often.

God, I love seafood, too. I grew up in North Dakota so now that I live on the West Coast, I can't get enough. Won't eat cod, though.

God, I love seafood, too. I grew up in North Dakota so now that I live on the West Coast, I can't get enough. Won't eat cod, though.

Why no cod? That's a fave around here. Just curious if there's something I should know about it.

Why no cod? That's a fave around here. Just curious if there's something I should know about it.

Not sustainable.

What part of Nortk Dakota? I just moved to the Red River Valley last winter. Go Sioux!

I don't love / like fish (hives and eyes swelling shut after a lobster crab dish doesn't help) but hubs is also a KS farm boy, and he loves seafood and fish. Oysters on the half shell, sashimi, catfish, trouth, salmon, etc etc etc... he eats it all. And we live in the KC area. Leavenworth, where I gather the Maxwells live, a 30 mile drive to a city that has fresh and frozen seafood at most good grocers, restaurants ranging from Red Lobster to McCormick and Shmick and a multitude of Sushi restaurants. Half the steakhouses probably offer a surf and turf with lobster or crab on the menu. Seafood is flown in daily for several of the restaurants. Not the same in cost, certainly, as at the coasts, but always available.

One of my kiddos lived in the Plaza for around 7 years--lots of seafood options. I still don't do seafood!

When she was about 8, we were visiting friends who had grilled out. Her meat was pink and she asked the cook to please put it on the grill for a few more minutes. He gave her a hard time and she drew herself up and told him, "I'm from Iowa. We don't eat things competent veterinarians can resuscitate!!!" He finished cooking it for her. :lol:

They are awful quiet. Their "seminars" were on Fri/Sat and the next one isn't until Sat. I wonder if they are taking "what some may call a vacation". :roll:

Certainly there's got to be a bus story by now. It's hot in Idaho right now and Uriah has to have sprung a leak of some kind. I'm still secretly hoping a rattle snake snuck onto the bus while they were out prosthelytizing. Or maybe Teri ate another piece of cheese with the plastic still on it and they're working on typing up the story on that.

Weren't they on the East Coast for a seminar this summer? I know lobster rolls aren't that expensive. My mom and stepdad always ate them when they were in MA visiting family.

Steve's a poop.

Is it sad that I keep refreshing their page?

I mean, yes, my code IS compiling but... just gotta face my addiction maybe! :lol:

Is it sad that I keep refreshing their page?

I mean, yes, my code IS compiling but... just gotta face my addiction maybe! :lol:

The first step in getting help is admitting you have a problem.

Off to research -- thanks! :)

I miss cod :( Coley and pollock if you can get them where you live are excellent alternatives for cod and haddock and are sustainable.

I'm in the Seattle area -- certainly both of those must be somewhere. Bet I can get them at Central Market or Whole Foods.

I'm in the Seattle area -- certainly both of those must be somewhere. Bet I can get them at Central Market or Whole Foods.

Worth a try. Not sure if sustainability is an issue you have there. EU certainly has with cod. There are very few numbers allowed to be caught now. Expensive.

The first step in getting help is admitting you have a problem.

Off to the prayer closet. You're making Tit2 your idol.

Archived