IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 6

happy atheist

Perhaps I could have used a different word than castrated or maybe I'm not explaining myself well. Let me try again.

It's not that I didn't think they are masculine males. It's that many of the men seem to have been amassing all the cutesy things and put more emphasis on that. Not as a way to spoil or surprise their wives, but almost like they want to incorporate every last one of these gestures into one celebration.

Ugh. I still feel like I'm not putting down what I'm thinking.

Jessa's boyfriend is young, and I have to chalk some of this up to that. When he talked about attending the wedding he said he was watching all the different rituals to get ideas. Perhaps part of it is even the males are kept in a bubble to some extent, and the fundy weddings are the only ones they have for comparison. On the flip side of that, the rest of the world is watching Four Weddings, Platinum Brides, etc., as well as attending weddings that don't have so much emphasis on that sacred first kiss. And the show may be pushing a lot of it for the sake of the show.

I'm all about romantic gestures, and my husbands have been known to come up with some beautiful ones. (First husband died young, married to #2 still.) So it's not that I think every romantic gesture strips a man of his masculinity.

I fear I still haven't been able to express myself on this. So until I can word it better, I'm going to give up this. lol

I think I got what you meant - I read it as you saying they seem to think these romantic gestures are the way to be a good courter/fiance/husband. Not that they are just nice (but sometimes important) gestures that add to the relationship. It's no different to me than a woman getting so caught up in having the perfect wedding as if that's the most important thing, and not spending time thinking about what the marriage will be like.

The symbols become more important than the substance - in this case because they're not allowed the opportunity to get into the substance ahead of time; it's all keeping sweet and keeping chaste.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody else who seems 1000X more legit said Bill isn't there.

Yeah, they have always tiptoed around naming anything IBLP related outright on the show, but now they seem to really be avoiding it.

But they haven't managed to hide that they are in ATI altogether. I remember in one of the episodes (it may have been a special before the series started... I'll see if I can find it), they were going to the ATI conference and they had a big handwritten sign taped to the back of the trailer they were pulling that said "ATI BOUND"

3isDJQ2nTR8 Go tp 4 minutes 6 seconds in the video.

But they haven't managed to hide that they are in ATI altogether. I remember in one of the episodes (it may have been a special before the series started... I'll see if I can find it), they were going to the ATI conference and they had a big handwritten sign taped to the back of the trailer they were pulling that said "ATI BOUND"

Go tp 4 minutes 6 seconds in the video.

I've seen a few of the boys wear ALERT t-shirts on the show too. They talk about ATI all the time (the 'homeschooling' conference, character qualities) even if indirectly.

I was looking at Josh & Anna's website, and they list ATI, IBLP, JTTH, etc. on their resource page, so I suspect the Duggars do the same on theirs. Josh & Anna have this little disclaimer on theirs though:

"While it is our goal to recommend the best resources available, we do not agree with every position each ministry or resource may present. We encourage you to seek out what God’s will is for your family and trust that He will lead your family in the path He has for you as you seek Him with your whole heart!"

I wonder if that's new? :think:

You know, looking back the D&P 2nd kiss (getaway car kiss) was, IMO way grosser than the 1st.

His mouth looked like an octopuses sucker. Just nasty.

So the entire population of the world could fit in Jacksonville....

Let's say that each person needs only one square yard. There are about seven billion people in the world, so that would be seven billion square yards, or 7 X 10^9.

Jacksonville has an area of 874 square miles, or 8.74 X 10^2. One square mile contains about 3,100,000 square yards, or 3.1 X 10^6. So multiplying those two numbers together gives the total number of square yards in Jacksonville, which is 2.71 X 10^9.

Even assuming that each human being needs only one square yard to exist, less than half the current population of the world could fit in Jacksonville, FL. Idiots.

I think I got what you meant - I read it as you saying they seem to think these romantic gestures are the way to be a good courter/fiance/husband. Not that they are just nice (but sometimes important) gestures that add to the relationship. It's no different to me than a woman getting so caught up in having the perfect wedding as if that's the most important thing, and not spending time thinking about what the marriage will be like.

The symbols become more important than the substance - in this case because they're not allowed the opportunity to get into the substance ahead of time; it's all keeping sweet and keeping chaste.

They are people engaged in relationships that will likely lead to marriage in the near future. Of course if they go to a wedding they are going to be thinking about ideas for their own wedding. They are courting or getting engaged or having a wedding or are newly weds. Of course that is when we are going to see them acting romantic and talking about plans and proposing and picking out bedspreads and paint.

They are on television and/ or have blogs and post to social media. So of course they will share the cute photos and talk about their romances. That doesn't seem to have anything to do with their belief system ( except, of course, they aren't living together or intimate before marriage, so there are more firsts all at the same time ).

Not everything they do is pathological. Sometimes a pink Princess room is just a pink princess room.

Well, I look at it like this; my dh is not a romantic gesture kinda guy. He also gives zero fucks about how the house is decorated, so long as it's functional and comfortable. If I did a pink bedroom, he wouldn't care so long as there was action happening. It's just how he is. It doesn't matter to him, but if a pink bedroom is what I wanted and it made me happy, he'd say he loved it just because of that.

I figure Chad is probably the same way. Some guys are natural born romantics, but I can promise he probably doesn't care about the bedroom, but if it makes Erin happy then he's happy.

I don't think there needs to be deeper meaning in it. She has (albeit questionable) a certain taste and decorates accordingly.

Just watched the episode of Cherin's wedding on Youtube. I have to admit, I wasn't expecting Chad's voice to be so... wispy.

I also just don't get the whole trashing the car thing. Sardines? Mothballs? In a rental car? They (Cherin) seemed to take it well, but I would have been livid.

Sadly, I missed any Rodrigues family sitings. I wonder if they were invited to Josiah's graduation party. Everyone else was...

So the entire population of the world could fit in Jacksonville....

Let's say that each person needs only one square yard. There are about seven billion people in the world, so that would be seven billion square yards, or 7 X 10^9.

Jacksonville has an area of 874 square miles, or 8.74 X 10^2. One square mile contains about 3,100,000 square yards, or 3.1 X 10^6. So multiplying those two numbers together gives the total number of square yards in Jacksonville, which is 2.71 X 10^9.

Even assuming that each human being needs only one square yard to exist, less than half the current population of the world could fit in Jacksonville, FL. Idiots.

I don't think the Mullet was saying people could exist and was packing them in like sardines or a Japanese train. Her point, I think, was to demonstrate for us idiots how small a space humans could fit into. It's no different than when the popups say "And the Duggar family eats 500 pickles per month!!!!"

I don't think the Mullet was saying people could exist and was packing them in like sardines or a Japanese train. Her point, I think, was to demonstrate for us idiots how small a space humans could fit into. It's no different than when the popups say "And the Duggar family eats 500 pickles per month!!!!"

But, that doesn't make the comment any less idiotic. If that is what she meant, then she wasn't addressing the question at all. The question of over population is about sustaining the population, not how tight you can pack them in. I am sorry but the Duggars don't think at all, they just spout off talking points that they have heard from others.

I don't think fundies realise how much resources you can realistically expect each person to share. After all, they feel that it is appropriate to stack kids on beds made from shelves, nine to a room, fit 14 people into a 3 bedroom house, stretch 2 chicken breasts to feed a family of 10...

But, that doesn't make the comment any less idiotic. If that is what she meant, then she wasn't addressing the question at all. The question of over population is about sustaining the population, not how tight you can pack them in. I am sorry but the Duggars don't think at all, they just spout off talking points that they have heard from others.

I agree. They personify thoughtlessness...or thoughtiness :angry-banghead:

I don't think the Mullet was saying people could exist and was packing them in like sardines or a Japanese train. Her point, I think, was to demonstrate for us idiots how small a space humans could fit into

. It's no different than when the popups say "And the Duggar family eats 500 pickles per month!!!!"

I get that. The idea that one square yard will do for one person is in itself ludicrous. My point was that even making the most ridiculous assumption doesn't make the claim even close to being true.

Just watched the episode of Cherin's wedding on Youtube. I have to admit, I wasn't expecting Chad's voice to be so... wispy.

I also just don't get the whole trashing the car thing. Sardines? Mothballs? In a rental car? They (Cherin) seemed to take it well, but I would have been livid.

Sadly, I missed any Rodrigues family sitings. I wonder if they were invited to Josiah's graduation party. Everyone else was...

me tooooooo! kind of sounds like michael jackson.

crossmap.christianpost.com/blogs/19-kids-and-counting-michelle-duggar-on-continuing-education-after-homeschooling-4915

For the girls, Jana and Jill have been working really hard on their midwifery skills. Ginger has gone on to study photography and now she shoots weddings, babies and even births. It's kind of neat because she works with a lot of the moms who Jana and Jill have worked with in their midwifery training. Our girls also play music and you'd be amazed at how much harp and violins are in demand at events. One day we got a call asking if the girls would be interested in doing music for an event. And I was like, "Go for it." You've gotten the training. You can do this.

As for the older Duggar boys, our oldest Josh is in Washington, D.C. working in politics now. Joseph is working at the Fire Department and getting more life skills, training in first aid and first responding. He just loves that kind of thing. And John-David is training to be a pilot now, as well as a fireman and a police officer.

A real pilot, fireman AND a police officer? That gets paid?

Is it "Studying" photography or "chatting with Scott the camera guy and picking up tips"?

She's decent and I wouldn't HATE having her be my photographer, but when you see what can be done with serious study and high quality gear, Jinger really pales in comparison. She'd probably be pretty damn good if she was allowed to leave the compound and pursue it full time.

And again with the music stuff. The older girls are not BAD, but then you hear even Erin Bates play and they really don't stand up. I'm not discrediting the work these girls have put into this, because you don't get to their skill level without a ton of practice, but Michelle is passing it off as if their work is worthy of post secondary education when it so obviously is not.

Same goes for the boys. Being in a volunteer fire department is not going to put food on the table. If Joseph really wants to pursue that he needs to be in Little Rock.

crossmap.christianpost.com/blogs/19-kids-and-counting-michelle-duggar-on-continuing-education-after-homeschooling-4915

A real pilot, fireman AND a police officer? That gets paid?

WTF? Are we to believe this was written by Michelle, when her own daughter's name is spelled without the much-worshipped JJJJJJJ?

Um, it was spelled out in the book that even though Jinger is the usual family photographer Jessa does the birth shoots because Jinger freaks out at the sight of blood.

What exactly does Jessa do? She wasn't mentioned at all in that quote.

twirls hair while facetiming ben bob. duh. she's too busy for any other duties. :roll:

Same goes for the boys. Being in a volunteer fire department is not going to put food on the table. If Joseph really wants to pursue that he needs to be in Little Rock.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surely there would be some church family that Joseph could board with in Little Rock and he could train to be a firefighter there. Other ATI families have allowed there adult children to stay with the Duggars. Can't the Duggars have theirs stay with like-minded families if that is a concen?

What exactly does Jessa do? She wasn't mentioned at all in that quote.

She took over all homeschooling after Josie. Until recently she did the packing for most of the family.

Archived