IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 6

happy atheist

I don't think fundies realise how much resources you can realistically expect each person to share. After all, they feel that it is appropriate to stack kids on beds made from shelves, nine to a room, fit 14 people into a 3 bedroom house, stretch 2 chicken breasts to feed a family of 10...

My MIL would use 2 chicken legs to make her chicken and dumplings for 18-20 kids. My husband and his siblings talk about the excitement of finding a tiny piece of chicken in their bowl. growing up an only child I just didn't grasp the concept. I'll admit I was not a cook at all when we got married, so I bought a turbo cooker from an infomercial and made chicken and dumplings. The recipe called for 1.5lbs of boneless breasts and there were 3 people eating. You would have thought it was Christmas day when my husband found piece after piece of chicken in his bowl. Most of his siblings eat a very narrow diet(bland simple foods) so I rarely cook for them. I did make the chicken and dumplings for 4 of his siblings once and a decade later it is still talked about at weddings and family events. It is really sad to me that $6 worth of boneless chicken can make adults so happy and be remembered.

While my MIL encouraged college and choice, there is something about 20-25 people living in a single wide trailer(with basement) and one bathroom on one salary from a father that only finished 8th grade, that still haunts the siblings and makes them make some very off choices. Yes you can raise 23 kids over 30 years in 1300 sq ft , and yes some are very successful, but several have secret eating disorders or are hoarders because of how they were.

We saw how Josh ate his way to freedom. Now it will be interesting to see Jessa/Jinger changes. A house decorated like Erin, different eating habits, or how they spend money. My money is that Jill will be okay transitioning but Jessa will not. Jill and her husband have school, work, volunteering, a full life so they will have a small place to live and eat but will have a full life outside of the home. Jessa had really no life outside of the house or studies so being stuck in the house all day will leading to over-decorating, overspending, over cooking. She will have to do something with her 14 hours aday.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your husband was one of 23 children? Does J'Shell know about this? I think knowing there was a family larger than hers and a woman who produced more babies might do her in.

My brother in law's mother is one of 21. Rural Dominican Republic in the 1950-60's, and, to quote her father after being asked why so many kids, "We didn't have television." :wink-penguin:

Is it "Studying" photography or "chatting with Scott the camera guy and picking up tips"?

She's decent and I wouldn't HATE having her be my photographer, but when you see what can be done with serious study and high quality gear, Jinger really pales in comparison. She'd probably be pretty damn good if she was allowed to leave the compound and pursue it full time.

And again with the music stuff. The older girls are not BAD, but then you hear even Erin Bates play and they really don't stand up. I'm not discrediting the work these girls have put into this, because you don't get to their skill level without a ton of practice, but Michelle is passing it off as if their work is worthy of post secondary education when it so obviously is not.

Same goes for the boys. Being in a volunteer fire department is not going to put food on the table. If Joseph really wants to pursue that he needs to be in Little Rock.

The Duggar kids are horrible at the violin. They need real music lessons. These kids have real passions and want to do things but can't because their parents are afraid of evil influences. The evil influences are right in front of them.

Your husband was one of 23 children? Does J'Shell know about this? I think knowing there was a family larger than hers and a woman who produced more babies might do her in.

My husbands grandmother had a lot if kids. I think it was very common back then to have a lot of kids. Especially if you lived on a farm. I do think Jim Bob and and Michelle love to brag about how many kids they have.

Speaking of tight spaces, how many kids did the Duggars have in the 900 sqft house? I thought they started with 5 kids and maybe had 7 or 8 before moving to the 2000 sqft one.

While my MIL encouraged college and choice, there is something about 20-25 people living in a single wide trailer(with basement) and one bathroom on one salary from a father that only finished 8th grade, that still haunts the siblings and makes them make some very off choices. Yes you can raise 23 kids over 30 years in 1300 sq ft , and yes some are very successful, but several have secret eating disorders or are hoarders because of how they were.

I think this is the reason Josh gained so much weight. He no longer had to share with 18 other people. It is very telling as with eating disorders. Though eating disorders can happen in small fmailies, I can imagine growing up in this situation , one would be attention-deprived no matter how well they were taken care of. Anyone can have food and clothing laid in front of them. Taking care of kids extends beyond financial . Some larger families may seem to be well-off, but what about what the kids think.

It would not count, My MIL only birthed 13 kids. Then her husband died suddenly and she married a widower with 10 kids and on top of that they took in 7 additional kids over the years(4 after the parents were killed by a drink driver, and 3 foster kids). She never asked a daughter to cook or change a diaper. She loved babies and kids & was religious but her dreams were for each kid to get an education, college, trade or military.

Got to love how Josh is trying to re-brand the ATI Conference as the "Texas family conference" At least he's learning something from the FRC.

I read Otto Koning was a star at the Big Sandy ATI extravaganza. I guess all is proceeding as usual with whatever is happening with Bill.

I wonder if and when Ben will pop the question to Jessa. How will J'Chelle deal with Jill and Jessa being gone? The bigger question is, how will the younger girls deal without their moms?

I wonder if and when Ben will pop the question to Jessa. How will J'Chelle deal with Jill and Jessa being gone? The bigger question is, how will the younger girls deal without their moms?

Rotan hinted that he did at Christmas. If that's true, they may be holding off on announcing it til the season finale. It doesn't make sense that they announced Jill's engagement first though, unless Derrick declined to have the engagement filmed (which I find highly unlikely).

Rotan hinted that he did at Christmas. If that's true, they may be holding off on announcing it til the season finale. It doesn't make sense that they announced Jill's engagement first though, unless Derrick declined to have the engagement filmed (which I find highly unlikely).

I don't know if it's still up, but Jill had a picture of the engagement posted on her wedding site and there was definitely a camera crew there.

Which makes me wonder if the engagement happened off camera and they recreated it for the cameras, just like the entire Jessa courtship.

I don't know if it's still up, but Jill had a picture of the engagement posted on her wedding site and there was definitely a camera crew there.

Which makes me wonder if the engagement happened off camera and they recreated it for the cameras, just like the entire Jessa courtship.

Maybe they announced Jill's first because they're getting married this summer and they don't want it to look too shotgun like. If Jessa is waiting a little longer before the wedding, they can use that engagement announcement for ratings later.

(Haha. Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be if one of the J-slaves got pregnant before married?)

I briefly wondered about the pregnancy thing, cause one week Jill is courting. Then out of nowhere, she is engaged. She was already engaged when we found out she was courting, so I briefly wondered if something happened to make them jump the gun like that.

I highly doubt Jill Duggar is pregnant. But it would be interesting if she was. Not that she would ever admit to having premarital sex even if she had.

I would laugh my ass off if a Duggar got pregnant out of wedlock. Unless it was Famy. That wouldn't be surprising in the least.

Longtime lurker, first time poster! Love FJ!

Anyhoo...I am wondering if Jill and Derick's hasty engagement might be related to some travel plans he may have coming up. Perhaps they want to be married, so that Jill can accompany him on another trip. Wouldn't that be awesome...get married and then IMMEDIATELY get eleventy thousand miles away from TTH and everyone in it.

But there's enough land on the Duggar compound for them all to build houses there. I bet some will do that. I hope the J'Slaves move as far away as possible.

I briefly wondered about the pregnancy thing, cause one week Jill is courting. Then out of nowhere, she is engaged. She was already engaged when we found out she was courting, so I briefly wondered if something happened to make them jump the gun like that.

I highly doubt Jill Duggar is pregnant. But it would be interesting if she was. Not that she would ever admit to having premarital sex even if she had.

They jumped the gun because Free Jinger and a few gossip sites were speculating about Jill being in a courtship. I think they were trying to keep it for the show. They had been courting for at least 4 months when the rumours began. Jill and Derick's courtship/engagement/marriage timeline is normal for fundies. It doesn't seem rushed or hasty.

I read Otto Koning was a star at the Big Sandy ATI extravaganza. I guess all is proceeding as usual with whatever is happening with Bill.

I wonder if they all got to sit through another telling of the Pineapple Story.

This is a little unrelated to anything being discussed, but whoever posted the pic of Josh's instagram reminded me that I HATE the random hash tags Josh uses all the time. Like hashtagging his kid's name just because the kid is in the pic, or sometimes just hashtagging a random word mixed in with good hashtags (like '#men' on the previous page).

It makes me think of the E-surance commercial with the little lady saying, "That isn't how this works. That's not how ANY of this works!"

It also makes me want to channel my inner "?estlove" from The Roots, at the end of Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake's Hashtag skit: "Hey Josh?? Hashtag SHUT THE $#*!@ UP!"

There was some pretty bad tornado activity around Little Rock this weekend. I wonder if the Duggars will do something useful this time to help the victims.

Here is the Seewald family singing (audio only):

audioboo.fm/boos/2012128-not-all-the-blood-of-beasts?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Dad is the lead singer, mom and older daughters the harmony vocals and Ben the bass.

The hymn is:

A Hymn Commemorating the Sacrifice of our Saviour replacing the sacrifice of animals

More songs: audioboo.fm/a9seewald

This may have already been posted; I confess that I don't have time to read through every page of every post. If it has, please ignore or delete it, but it entertained me when I read it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_21061_5- ... dhood.html

A-ha!! Here you have two of my favourite things to do on the internet combined in one: Cracked.com and snarking about fundies! :dance: Thanks for sharing. The testimony is sad but great at the same time. She's quite spot on.

I'm glad this girl got away!

Archived