IGNORED

Does anyone care what Josh and Anna name their daughter?

JMO

A while back I made a list of some of the more 'interesting' Puritan names I came across while doing family tree research... here's a few (just first names):

Experience

Hepzibah

Love

Mehitable

Hepsibeth

Jerushai

Content

Shuah

Lurania

Zaruiah

Desire

Thankful

Ruhamah

Puella

Deliverance

Eliphalet

Shubael

Peleg

Gayer

Uriah (lol)

Grendel

Prince

Cromwell - he had a brother named Oliver, too

Coffin (using a family surname as a first name so not quite as crazy as it seems)

Gooking - this kid's full name was Gooking Greenleaf.

Ichabod

Zebulon

Barzillai

Zebdial

Leach (possibly another surname-turned-first-name? One can only hope...)

Puella? Seriously? That means "girl" in Latin. So every time that family calls her name they are literally going "GIRL! GIRL!"

People are weird.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend's family's original name from the Old Country was Fuchs - a nice, solid name. They changed it shortly after arriving to the New World...

As for unfortunate married names, I have heard of a Hazel who married a guy with the last name of Nutt, and a Terry/Sherry/Kerry who married into the Perry family.

I have a friend whose legal first name is Jenni. She was engaged to a guy whose last name is Furr. They broke up, over things other than the name, but she was relieved she didn't have to be stuck with that her whole life.

And my last name is also a fairly common first name for girls. So my brother of course had to go and marry a woman with that as her first name. I have no idea why she didn't just keep her maiden name, but she changed it, and is now the equivalent of "Mary Merry."

I have a friend whose legal first name is Jenni. She was engaged to a guy whose last name is Furr. They broke up, over things other than the name, but she was relieved she didn't have to be stuck with that her whole life.

And my last name is also a fairly common first name for girls. So my brother of course had to go and marry a woman with that as her first name. I have no idea why she didn't just keep her maiden name, but she changed it, and is now the equivalent of "Mary Merry."

The same thing happened to a relative of mine! She married a man whose last name was one consonant-sound away from her first name, so she ended up being the equivalent of Edna Erdna.

I know a guy whose parents gave him their last name as his first name. So he is basically the son of Sue and Rick Stevens, namely Stevens Stevens.

Yup, everyone who doesn't know either his first or last name thinks his Facebook is a fun account. :shifty:

Mind you, he's in his late 50s but still...

My husband has told me about a man he knew once named Travis T. Travis.

This has probably been said,

but do you think with all this stuff going on about Josh, and the M theme, that they may call her "Mercy"?

This has probably been said,

but do you think with all this stuff going on about Josh, and the M theme, that they may call her "Mercy"?

You're definitely not the first to suggest it and I'm sure you won't be the last -- has crossed my mind as well.

You're definitely not the first to suggest it and I'm sure you won't be the last -- has crossed my mind as well.

I'd honestly be surprised if they don't go with some sort of preachy name in light of the scandal. So Mercy could definitely fit (too bad, cause it's such a cute name!). Or perhaps a biblical M-name that somehow pertains to being absolved of a sin, etc.

I know a woman that chose to hyphenate her surname and husbands surname and ended up as... Eaton-Beaver. Not kidding.

Puella? Seriously? That means "girl" in Latin. So every time that family calls her name they are literally going "GIRL! GIRL!"

People are weird.

Well that's like the name Donna. Donna means woman in Italian.

I know a George George. Why do that?

A decade ago, when I was doing a research paper on adoptions, I ended up on an adoption photo listing site. There were 17 year old twins up for adoption named Jeffrey and Jeffery.

I'd honestly be surprised if they don't go with some sort of preachy name in light of the scandal. So Mercy could definitely fit (too bad, cause it's such a cute name!). Or perhaps a biblical M-name that somehow pertains to being absolved of a sin, etc.

Maybe they'll name her Mary Magdalen.

Maybe they'll name her Mary Magdalen.

I really hope they just name the kid whatever they were going to name her anyway. I feel like if you're planning to have upwards of a dozen kids, you've probably got a list of names already. Hell, I've got like, 6 names for my totally hypothetical someday-Corgi.

I really hope they just name the kid whatever they were going to name her anyway. I feel like if you're planning to have upwards of a dozen kids, you've probably got a list of names already. Hell, I've got like, 6 names for my totally hypothetical someday-Corgi.

Yeah, they probably will. But I bet we'll read into it no matter what it is... maybe this one is going to be baby Mary* after Grandma Duggar, but OMG, what a special pure virginal name that is!

*More likely: Marylynn/Marygrace/some youneeqke Mary variation/Marigold (actually sort of cute, but I doubt they watch Downton Abbey - so evil and secular!)

I hope they don't name their kid Mercy for the kids sake. Can you imagine that conversation. Why did you name me this? Because daddy did bad things to his sister and we wanted people to forgive him.

I feel like if you are gonna go with a theme name you might as well go all out and stick with Mac-k theme for girls:

Mackayla

Mackenna

Mackaylie

Mackyra

Mackacey

Mackallie

My husband has told me about a man he knew once named Travis T. Travis.

Wow. That really is a Travis T.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :dance:

Wow. That really is a Travis T.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :dance:

boooo.....

A while back I made a list of some of the more 'interesting' Puritan names I came across while doing family tree research... here's a few (just first names):

Experience

Hepzibah

Love

Mehitable

Hepsibeth

Jerushai

Content

Shuah

Lurania

Zaruiah

Desire

Thankful

Ruhamah

Puella

Deliverance

Eliphalet

Shubael

Peleg

Gayer

Uriah (lol)

Grendel

Prince

Cromwell - he had a brother named Oliver, too

Coffin (using a family surname as a first name so not quite as crazy as it seems)

Gooking - this kid's full name was Gooking Greenleaf.

Ichabod

Zebulon

Barzillai

Zebdial

Leach (possibly another surname-turned-first-name? One can only hope...)

I think "Deliverance Duggar" might do nicely. *cue the banjos*

My father had a physician whose last name was Doctor. I don't remember his first name but I remember vividly hearing him paged (this was a long time ago....no beepers or cell phones) while my dad was in the hospital: "Dr. Doctor, Dr. Doctor...please call" ext. whatever. It always made us smile to refer to Dr. Doctor.

Miriam comes to mind.

Talking about name lists - I have several for future kids (now I just need a daddy) and for future pets. Also, one for purebred puppy litter (now I just need to get their mum). But I'm kinda a name nerd.

My money's on Magdalena. Cleverly referencing Mary Magdalene ("God forgives sinners"), quite Italian-sounding ("the Duggars are well-travelled, which somehow confers intelligence") and just quirky enough ("Aren't we adorably different?")

And on the other topic, there were three guys called Patrick Fitzpatrick in my primary school class.

Three.

Also known as Pat Fitz, Paddy Fitz and Padraig Fitz (Irish people abbreviate EVERYTHING!)

My money's on Magdalena. Cleverly referencing Mary Magdalene ("God forgives sinners"), quite Italian-sounding ("the Duggars are well-travelled, which somehow confers intelligence") and just quirky enough ("Aren't we adorably different?"))

Magdalena has WAY too much of a Catholic vibe for them. The ATI/Got Hard crowd sees Rome as the Whore of Babylon. Which, btw would be a good post count title.

Archived