IGNORED

Does anyone care what Josh and Anna name their daughter?

JMO

There are a lot of families where the boys get lovely, traditional, properly-spelled names and the girls get nothing but glittery, poorly spelled, made up crap. I think it comes down to sexism in these families: boys need serious names because they have to be taken seriously, but girls are just decorative and their names reflect that. See Joseph, Joshua and James vs. Jordyn, Jinger, and Josie. Not to mention Jubilee. :ew:

This was my hub's approach. He did not care what a girl was named, but the boy had to have a traditional name. I never thought he was sexist... I think he just did not want to saddle a male with a unique name. He did have 2 brothers with different names- one changed his.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my hub's approach. He did not care what a girl was named, but the boy had to have a traditional name. I never thought he was sexist... I think he just did not want to saddle a male with a unique name. He did have 2 brothers with different names- one changed his.

Yeah, but why is it only "saddling" when it's a boy? Girls need credibility too. If an employer had two resumes in front of them, they'd be more likely to take Rebecca and Gabrielle seriously over Destynee and Madysynn any day. I say this as a woman who was saddled with a trendy crap name who goes by her more traditional middle name; believe me, these "unique" names are not doing girls any favours.

Yeah, but why is it only "saddling" when it's a boy? Girls need credibility too. If an employer had two resumes in front of them, they'd be more likely to take Rebecca and Gabrielle seriously over Destynee and Madysynn any day. I say this as a woman who was saddled with a trendy crap name who goes by her more traditional middle name; believe me, these "unique" names are not doing girls any favours.

Personally, neither of our kids (girl and boy) was going to be given a unique name, so it was not relevant, but something I think many are missing is that 25 years, when today's kids are hitting the serious job market, unique might just be the norm.

Although my daughter and 3 nieces/nephews had babies in the last year and only 1 has a unique name.

So I found the perfect name for the latest addition. What about Manna? It's the perfect combination of biblical, tribute to Anna, and starts with 'm'.

Personally, neither of our kids (girl and boy) was going to be given a unique name, so it was not relevant, but something I think many are missing is that 25 years, when today's kids are hitting the serious job market, unique might just be the norm.

Although my daughter and 3 nieces/nephews had babies in the last year and only 1 has a unique name.

I don't know. As per Neil Gaiman, "People named Tinkerbell name their daughters Susan." I hope that we come back around to more traditional fare for girls. All the little Olivias, Isabellas and Sophias I'm meeting are a great start, in this snob's opinion. ;)

I don't know. As per Neil Gaiman, "People named Tinkerbell name their daughters Susan." I hope that we come back around to more traditional fare for girls. All the little Olivias, Isabellas and Sophias I'm meeting are a great start, in this snob's opinion. ;)

Funny-- as someone with a very common/popular name (everyone and their sister has my name!), I want to name my children something more uncommon. Now, I hate the trend of weird names, so seeing the trend swing back to traditional names being popular breaks my heart. All those wonderful names that I can't use because they are now a dime a dozen! :cry:

Funny-- as someone with a very common/popular name (everyone and their sister has my name!), I want to name my children something more uncommon. Now, I hate the trend of weird names, so seeing the trend swing back to traditional names being popular breaks my heart. All those wonderful names that I can't use because they are now a dime a dozen! :cry:

I have no problem with less popular names. For example, Scarlett or Theodore

I do not prefer made up names. Apple is not a name.

I also do not like unique spellings- who would doom a kid to forever having their named misspelled?

I really hope they pick a nice name that's not too ridiculously trendy. Meghan, Mariah, Miriam, Mary, Mary-Beth/Kate/Jane/Anne/Lynn, Melissa, Madeline, Meredith, Maribel, Marie, Marianne/Mariana, Marion, Macy, Maisie, Margaret, Marjorie, Mariel, Melanie, Mae, Melody (see? Trendy but still classy), or even McKenna (I kinda like that name).

But knowing them it's probably going to be something with gratuitous Y's and will sound ridiculous when she's 60.

Personally I vote for Maeby. Because Josh is as hilariously inept and delusional as Tobias Funke, so it's only fitting.

So I found the perfect name for the latest addition. What about Manna? It's the perfect combination of biblical, tribute to Anna, and starts with 'm'.

Wow, that certainly is paper perfect. I admit I actually laughed out loud when I read this. Manna. AHAHAHaaaa yes indeed, poor kid, it is really the perfect name for M4.

I really hope they pick a nice name that's not too ridiculously trendy. Meghan, Mariah, Miriam, Mary, Mary-Beth/Kate/Jane/Anne/Lynn, Melissa, Madeline, Meredith, Maribel, Marie, Marianne/Mariana, Marion, Macy, Maisie, Margaret, Marjorie, Mariel, Melanie, Mae, Melody (see? Trendy but still classy), or even McKenna (I kinda like that name).

But knowing them it's probably going to be something with gratuitous Y's and will sound ridiculous when she's 60.

Personally I vote for Maeby. Because Josh is as hilariously inept and delusional as Tobias Funke, so it's only fitting.

That is hilarious, and I agree abt Tobias/Josh. That show was something else.

Manna Maeby. I think we are on to something!

As an aside... I have a normal name as do my siblings. All our kids have normal, rather traditional names like Robert. Or at least spelled normally. I call my kids by their name, not even nicknames. I just like their names! If I had a Robert, he'd be Robert, not Bobby.

Having a very popular name (Amanda). I gave my girls uncommon names. Morgan and Ellie. I think Anna and Smuggar will probally either name her Madisyn or Madelyn.

Manna Dugggar sounds like a drag queen name. The irony of two homophobes like Smuggar & Smuganna giving their daughter that name would be amusing.

Manna Dugggar sounds like a drag queen name. The irony of two homophobes like Smuggar & Smuganna giving their daughter that name would be amusing.

Manna Heaven Duggar.

Having a very popular name (Amanda). I gave my girls uncommon names. Morgan and Ellie. I think Anna and Smuggar will probally either name her Madisyn or Madelyn.

Not sure Morgan is so uncommon. I had three in one classroom recently.

Not sure Morgan is so uncommon. I had three in one classroom recently.

I myself have noticed a lot of Ellies--a lot of them short from Eleanor, which has become popular amongst the Hipster crowd. (I think a famous blogger has a daughter named Eleanor?)

I myself have noticed a lot of Ellies--a lot of them short from Eleanor, which has become popular amongst the Hipster crowd. (I think a famous blogger has a daughter named Eleanor?)

I've had Ellies in primary, too. And there are more Ellas in primary lately, too.

I love the name Maeve. Old fashioned but pretty! This name won't ever be used though, its not trendy enough. Unless if you spell it Mayve or Mayvy.

I just know that they will go with the trendy M names. Madysen or Madelyn. It has to have the Y option.

Here's all the spelling options of Madison:

Madysen

Madisyn

Madyson

Maydsyn

Madaysen

Madisyon

These are versions I have seen and they get to be pretty bad.

I love the name Maeve. Old fashioned but pretty! This name won't ever be used though, its not trendy enough. Unless if you spell it Mayve or Mayvy.

I just know that they will go with the trendy M names. Madysen or Madelyn. It has to have the Y option.

Here's all the spelling options of Madison:

Madysen

Madisyn

Madyson

Maydsyn

Madaysen

Madisyon

These are versions I have seen and they get to be pretty bad.

Met a middle schooler named "Madysyn" last month. Because more y's are better.

I'm fine with "made-up" (because all names were made up at some point because all words ever spoken are made up) names for the most part, but I loathe unusual spellings of common names. If people want to be different they should go all out and give their kid an unusual name instead of butchering the spelling. Nothing annoys me more than Kaytelynn or whatever. I have an usual name for this country, so I expect people to not know it and ask how to spell it--I would be so annoyed if I had to forever correct people's perfectly reasonable assumptions about how my name is spelled because my parents decided to be asinine and go with Ginnyffer or something when they knew better.

I wonder if Josh and/Ana are regretting going with the one-letter theme. When they got married the show wasn't as big as it is now and so didn't get so much mainstream attention...I think that lead them to believe that the one-letter thing was cute and charming. Plus Ana was a bit of a Duggar fangirl early on so she probably loved everything they did. Now that they must know that most people find it stupid I wonder how they feel about it. Jill has said she won't do it, and she's the type that would love that crap. I don't think any of the other Duggars will do it either (maybe Jessa as a "Fuck you, haters," because she's the type that would cut off her nose to spite her face). I don't think Josh and Anna would change things now because it would be admitting they were silly, but I like to imagine them dreading their naming options.

Something a bit different: anyone else driven crazy by people who have a name that is spelled a certain way and has a common pronunciation because of its spelling, but is actually supposed to be pronounced differently due to the whims of the parents who did the naming?

I once knew a woman named Alicia. A-lee-cee-uh or A-lee-shah for pronunciation, right? Nope, she pronounced it as Alyssa (A-liss-uh). And then she got mad at people regularly when they didn't pronounce her name correctly. Sweetie, I'd blame your parents, not the rest of the planet when they meet you for the first time. :lol:

Manna Heaven Duggar.

Manna Nevaeh. Biblical and trendy.

Something a bit different: anyone else driven crazy by people who have a name that is spelled a certain way and has a common pronunciation because of its spelling, but is actually supposed to be pronounced differently due to the whims of the parents who did the naming?

I once knew a woman named Alicia. A-lee-cee-uh or A-lee-shah for pronunciation, right? Nope, she pronounced it as Alyssa (A-liss-uh). And then she got mad at people regularly when they didn't pronounce her name correctly. Sweetie, I'd blame your parents, not the rest of the planet when they meet you for the first time. :lol:

YES. A Hannah whose name was pronouced Honna.

YES. A Hannah whose name was pronouced Honna.

If you use Hebrew pronounciation, Hannah is pronounced Honna, like how Leah (Lee-uh using American English pronunciation) is Lay-uh. I guess using the Hebrew pronunciation doing so adds some extra Biblical street cred. But in general, people need to stay away from unorthodox spellings and pronunciation when it comes to baby names.

Archived