IGNORED

Does anyone care what Josh and Anna name their daughter?

JMO

Something a bit different: anyone else driven crazy by people who have a name that is spelled a certain way and has a common pronunciation because of its spelling, but is actually supposed to be pronounced differently due to the whims of the parents who did the naming?

I once knew a woman named Alicia. A-lee-cee-uh or A-lee-shah for pronunciation, right? Nope, she pronounced it as Alyssa (A-liss-uh). And then she got mad at people regularly when they didn't pronounce her name correctly. Sweetie, I'd blame your parents, not the rest of the planet when they meet you for the first time. :lol:

I went to college with a girl named Eve.

The Profs always called her Eve (as in Christmas Eve, 12/24).

She'd get so pissed off.

I guess her name was Ev, like the beginning sound of Ev-e-lyn

One prof told her that her parents had spelled it wrong, if they had intended on calling her Ev. I loved that response!

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone with a not terribly uncommon but old and traditional name that is constantly misspelled, it's not that big of a deal. I'm used to it and it doesn't even bother me anymore. Just look at Meghan/Megan. Or Sara/Sarah. Ann/Anne. Ana/Anna. Trevor/Trever. Carry/Carrie/Keri/Kerry. Cori/Cory. And then there's the different names that are similar and are constantly mixed up. Like Anne/Annie/Anna. Kerilyn/Carolyn/Caroline. Kirsten/Kersten/Kristen. (I use to joke I was going to have identical triple girls and name them Kirsten Kersten and Kristen :lol: ) My point is that having a unique spelling of a name isn't all that bad. Within reason. Naming a child Teen-uh is fucking stupid. EmmaLeigh isn't.

They should just name her Mommy so her future siblings and children can call her by her first name. Saves time.

She'd get so pissed off.

One prof told her that her parents had spelled it wrong, if they had intended on calling her Ev. I loved that response!

I get so irritated when people with bizarre names get all pissed off if you pronounce their name even slightly incorrect. Rarely ever do they politely inform that you're saying it wrong. My last name could go a few different ways, but I'd rather someone just say it wrong that make a big fuss about it.

Don't even get me started on bizarre spellings for common names. I'm almost on the side of it being against the law! :mrgreen:

She'd get so pissed off.

I once had a teacher tell me that my literally phonetically spelled first name (Emmaline, literally Emma with a line after. Not Emmaleen or Emmalyn) was spelled wrong to be pronounced the way it's pronounced.

Morticia Duggar has a nice ring to it, too. :twisted:

Morticia, please God let them name it Morticia! :lol:

She'd get so pissed off.

Of course. the British, IIRC, don't pronounce Evelyn as Ev-e-lyn, but as Ee-ve-lyn as in Evelyn Waugh. If anyone isn't familiar with Evelyn Waugh, he was a guy and a writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Waugh

Of course. the British, IIRC, don't pronounce Evelyn as Ev-e-lyn, but as Ee-ve-lyn as in Evelyn Waugh. If anyone isn't familiar with Evelyn Waugh, he was a guy and a writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Waugh

And to be fair to her parents, in French, "Eve" is pronounced as "Ev." Perhaps that's what they were going for?

I once had a teacher tell me that my literally phonetically spelled first name (Emmaline, literally Emma with a line after. Not Emmaleen or Emmalyn) was spelled wrong to be pronounced the way it's pronounced.

And Emmaline is such a pretty name, too. That's terrible that your teacher said that to you. :( I've never seen the name Emmaline pronounced any way but Emma-lyne, the way you pronounced it.

I was once friends with/had a class project in college with a James, Jamie, and Jamison. Whenever one of them would call and my husband would answer the phone, he could never keep them straight. It would drive him crazy, and the following conversation would always take place when one of them called:

Hubs: There's a Jame-someone on the phone for you.

Me: Well, who is it? Is it James, Jamie, or Jamison?

Hubs: *scowling* Take this phone before I beat your butt with it. :lol:

Many centuries ago, when I was in university, there was a girl in one of my classes named Cindy. Now I always thought it was a nickname for Cynthia. Anyhow, the class had been split into 4 lab groups and the list was up for each group. I go looking for my name and I come across ' Cinderella' and last name. I remember thinking who the hell is that. OMG! It was Cindy! Poor girl. I cannot imagine...

Many centuries ago, when I was in university, there was a girl in one of my classes named Cindy. Now I always thought it was a nickname for Cynthia. Anyhow, the class had been split into 4 lab groups and the list was up for each group. I go looking for my name and I come across ' Cinderella' and last name. I remember thinking who the hell is that. OMG! It was Cindy! Poor girl. I cannot imagine...

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

I used to babysit for a family with a mom whose name was Merry Christmas Lastname. She was born on Christmas and her parents thought it was cute. She did not.

I used to babysit for a family with a mom whose name was Merry Christmas Lastname. She was born on Christmas and her parents thought it was cute. She did not.

Ugh, I hate it when people go with stupid, punny, cute names they think are clever. Like North West. Such a silly name for such an adorable child, who will have to grow up with a name her parents thought was clever. If you want to use a punny name, you should get a pet and name them it. They don't care what you call them.

North West is unforgivable. People have one chance to name their children. Punny names just scream for mean comments. Horrible and embarrassing family names are usually inherited but doesn't someone have the brain to change them as an adult before spawning kids? In my birth country, I swear on Jessa's grave, people live with family names that literally mean: cum, pussy, butthole, panties, testicles etc. The worst part of it that they are old-fashioned named, spelled in old fashioned, somewhat noble ways. It hasn't occurred to them, ever, to change their names to something less outrageous than "cum"? The one with the "cum" originates in a particular area where nobles owned lands. They even spawned a few versions of it, since one part of that area was called Little "Cum", the other part was called "Main" or "Large" Cum, so the ones with the little- prefix have a family name that means that they are a little sneaky fucks (cum also has a meaning of being a sneaky, rotten fuck), and the ones with the big- prefix have a family name that means "one huge load of cum".

I get so irritated when people with bizarre names get all pissed off if you pronounce their name even slightly incorrect. Rarely ever do they politely inform that you're saying it wrong. My last name could go a few different ways, but I'd rather someone just say it wrong that make a big fuss about it.

Don't even get me started on bizarre spellings for common names. I'm almost on the side of it being against the law! :mrgreen:

Yeah, it's a bit unreasonable to get annoyed the first time someone mispronounces your name, but when someone is repeatedly corrected and justs refuse to pronounce a name correctly, that's fucked up. That professor sounds like a total asshole and I would have risked my grade to tell him off.

Something a bit different: anyone else driven crazy by people who have a name that is spelled a certain way and has a common pronunciation because of its spelling, but is actually supposed to be pronounced differently due to the whims of the parents who did the naming?

I once knew a woman named Alicia. A-lee-cee-uh or A-lee-shah for pronunciation, right? Nope, she pronounced it as Alyssa (A-liss-uh). And then she got mad at people regularly when they didn't pronounce her name correctly. Sweetie, I'd blame your parents, not the rest of the planet when they meet you for the first time. :lol:

I have a co-worker who's name is Candace pronounced Can-day-sea instead of Can-diss. She's always pleasantly corrects people who get it wrong though.

Edited to add: I have a sister named Alisha pronounced just how it looks: Ah-lih-shah. When I was in college I knew someone named Alisha, but pronounced Ah-lee-shah. Every time I see her name, to this day, I pronounce it wrong at first.

Maybe Cynthia Jueb should have met this woman when she was naming her first two daughter :angry-banghead:

i guess anything with a K and at least one Y - both insanely popular in the south in the past 10 years or so.

McKaylee, for example. Anything that can be said with a super twang. Rylee, Konnor, Kyler, Keelee, etc. I've known/known of kids with all those names. Except that i can't remember how Keelee's was spelled, that's just how it was pronounced.

no offense to fellow southerners. I'm originally from Oklahoma, i can get away with making fun of our accent. :D

So I found the perfect name for the latest addition. What about Manna? It's the perfect combination of biblical, tribute to Anna, and starts with 'm'.

Manna from Heaven :lol:

[bBvideo 560,340:3ukzt00z]

[/bBvideo]

Manna from Heaven :lol:

[bBvideo 560,340:o4qn1vv5]

[/bBvideo]

LOL! That reminds me if The Muppet Show song "Mahna Mahna" . The Smuggars can name M4 Mahna.

[bBvideo 560,340:o4qn1vv5]

[/bBvideo]

No shit. I recently changed jobs so I don't work with her anymore but I had a co-worked named Lauren who insisted it be pronounced La-ren, a la Sophia Loren. Sure honey, whatever. Then your parents should have spelled it the way it's intended to sound, like Laurenne.

As an Emily who actually spells it E-m-i-l-y can I get in on this law? I shouldn't be asked to spell out my first name every time I give it, the Emileighs of the world should have to. Sorry not sorry. My parents thought they were doing me a favor giving me an easy to spell, not so common (at the time) name considering our last name is easily mispronounced and very easily misspelled. But then my first name took off and lead the baby name game for two decades and got the youneek treatment.

As someone with a not terribly uncommon but old and traditional name that is constantly misspelled, it's not that big of a deal. I'm used to it and it doesn't even bother me anymore. Just look at Meghan/Megan. Or Sara/Sarah. Ann/Anne. Ana/Anna. Trevor/Trever. Carry/Carrie/Keri/Kerry. Cori/Cory. And then there's the different names that are similar and are constantly mixed up. Like Anne/Annie/Anna. Kerilyn/Carolyn/Caroline. Kirsten/Kersten/Kristen. (I use to joke I was going to have identical triple girls and name them Kirsten Kersten and Kristen :lol: ) My point is that having a unique spelling of a name isn't all that bad. Within reason. Naming a child Teen-uh is fucking stupid. EmmaLeigh isn't.

You mentioned my name above (I won't specify it, but it's in a Neil Diamond song). It's constantly mixed up with another (on your list) and it (to this day) is a battle that sometimes I don't even bother to fight. I got detention in 6th grade for insubordination because I corrected the pronunciation of my name to my teacher. (And the song does not seem to help with pronunciation).

It's not a big deal to me anymore (I've gotten used to it) but someone said my name wrong in front of my mother and she flipped a lid.

Saw Jhasyn the other day. Took me a good twenty minutes to figure that one out.

My daughters name is unique, but it's also a real name. When we went to Springdale for the yard sale, the motel we stayed in the guy said my daughters name was frequently used in one of those P countries that I can't remember the name of... down in South America I think.

Its a Hebrew name and my great grandmothers. I gave her a normal middle name in case she ever wants to go by that instead.

I'm fascinates by all the people pronounce it wrong. Its very simple to pronounce but geez

Archived