IGNORED

Does anyone care what Josh and Anna name their daughter?

JMO

Saw Jhasyn the other day. Took me a good twenty minutes to figure that one out.

My daughters name is unique, but it's also a real name. When we went to Springdale for the yard sale, the motel we stayed in the guy said my daughters name was frequently used in one of those P countries that I can't remember the name of... down in South America I think.

Its a Hebrew name and my great grandmothers. I gave her a normal middle name in case she ever wants to go by that instead.

I'm fascinates by all the people pronounce it wrong. Its very simple to pronounce but geez

My son with either love me or hate me, but his name is William. However, instead of Will, he is Liam. WilLIAM. My name is Margaret but I go by Meg, so perhaps it only seemed clever to me. I like it and I wanted my son to have strong name and a semi-trendy nickname.

ok so for MK4 I think, due to popularity and such these days, there is a high probability of the M'blessing being named:

Madison (or some variant thereof)

McKinley

Makenna

Marissa

Maybe Megan. I would hope for a Morgan or Morganna or Morganne or Morgaine. Especially for Morgaine.

I vote Melanie because I love GwtW. And I vote Margaret because yeah, it's my name. :dance:

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mentioned my name above (I won't specify it, but it's in a Neil Diamond song). It's constantly mixed up with another (on your list) and it (to this day) is a battle that sometimes I don't even bother to fight. I got detention in 6th grade for insubordination because I corrected the pronunciation of my name to my teacher. (And the song does not seem to help with pronunciation).

It's not a big deal to me anymore (I've gotten used to it) but someone said my name wrong in front of my mother and she flipped a lid.

I share the Neil Diamond song name. I get it. It's fucking annoying but, as you said, I got over it. I had fun annoying the teachers in school with it since there was another girl with the other commonly confused name with it, and would constantly ask if they meant me or her since they called me by her name and her by my name. (Really?) Now that I'm older it doesn't bother me anymore. And it didn't stop me from giving my children uncommon names. Not stupid names, but uncommon. My daughter has lee/leah/leigh/ley/ly in her name and she's asked how to spell it a lot but she seems to have fun with that and actually likes spelling her name for people so whatever.

Although these names all end with the same sound, they're all spelled differently:

Emily

Haley

Baylee

Kileah (saw that one today)

Leigh

And aside from the one I just saw today, those are mostly traditional spellings for those names.

I know a Faye but I also know a Fae. I've known a Mae and everyone spelled it May. (June and April and August are spelled like the months, why wouldn't May?) Of course the Gaelic spelling is Maigh.

So, apparently, one of the most common girls names in DC in 2013 was Genesis. Obviously, it wouldn't be a first name, but I could totally see them going with Genesis as a middle name.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/cgi-bin/namesbystate.cgi

Going based off popular DC names, I'm going to say:

Maya Genesis

Mia Sofia (I could actually see them doing this, and possibly even calling her by her full name)

Madison Serenity

Madeleine Elise

So, apparently, one of the most common girls names in DC in 2013 was Genesis. Obviously, it wouldn't be a first name, but I could totally see them going with Genesis as a middle name.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/cgi-bin/namesbystate.cgi

Going based off popular DC names, I'm going to say:

Maya Genesis

Mia Sofia (I could actually see them doing this, and possibly even calling her by her full name)

Madison Serenity

Madeleine Elise

I like Madeleine Elise and that has nothing to do with Smug & Smuganna. They'd probably screw up the spelling: Madylyn Elys.

I knew a girl named Blakely when I was in school. I'm cool with that name. I always loved it.

Anyway, a friend of mine on facebook was talking about her son, and someone replied something about their daughter.... Blaykleigh.

Look, even spell check thinks Blakely is acceptable, why in the WORLD would you spell it the above way? God that looks like something Ashleigh (the "blogger who went to Jessa's wedding") would come up with.

How about Militia Magdalene?

They could pronounce it "Mill Lee Tee Ah". I'd be worried that those idiots with give the baby a gun and a bandolero of bullets for her first birthday, take pics of baby with said items, go onto instagram and twitter, and talk about their future 2nd Amendment freedom fighter against the evil liberal gun grabbers.

How about Militia Magdalene?

I don't think Magdalene would pass Duggar muster...

Considering the story of Mary Magdalene.

I knew a girl named Blakely when I was in school. I'm cool with that name. I always loved it.

Anyway, a friend of mine on facebook was talking about her son, and someone replied something about their daughter.... Blaykleigh.

Look, even spell check thinks Blakely is acceptable, why in the WORLD would you spell it the above way? God that looks like something Ashleigh (the "blogger who went to Jessa's wedding") would come up with.

I dunno. I like the leigh spelling of leigh/lee/ley/leah/ly. I'm not sure I like Blaykleigh but maybe Blakleigh. The Y throws it all off. I've seen Baylee spelled Baileigh and I like that spelling a lot better. Or Bailey.

In Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Mike's granddaughter is Kalee :shrug:

I dunno. I like the leigh spelling of leigh/lee/ley/leah/ly. I'm not sure I like Blaykleigh but maybe Blakleigh. The Y throws it all off. I've seen Baylee spelled Baileigh and I like that spelling a lot better. Or Bailey.

In Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Mike's granddaughter is Kalee :shrug:

Blakleigh would have a completely different pronunciation than Blakely. There's nothing in Blakleigh to make the a long, so it would be black-lee.

I think Blakelee would be the best option if you're going to spell the ending differently. I think -leigh tends to have an air of trying too hard to be different.

In an elementary school yesterday, I heard a teacher call a boy "break-in". She said it twice, so I'm pretty sure I heard it right. No idea how it was spelled.

Blakleigh would have a completely different pronunciation than Blakely. There's nothing in Blakleigh to make the a long, so it would be black-lee.

I think Blakelee would be the best option if you're going to spell the ending differently. I think -leigh tends to have an air of trying too hard to be different.

Perhaps this is a regional thing, but I don't pronounce ly/lee and leigh as the same sound.

To me

"leigh" is closer to "lay"

"ly/li/lee" is "lee"

"lia/leah" is "lee-ah"

So basically, I would pronounce "Blakely/Blakelee/Blakeli" all as "Blake-lee" (though the last one I might say as "Bla-kelly"), "Blakeleigh" as "Blake-lay", and "Blakeleah/Blakelia" as "Blake-lee-ah".

Similarly, Ashleigh I pronounce closer to "Ash-lay" than "Ash-lee".

Kind of OT, but kind of not. Does anyone know when or why the trend for replacing E sounds with Ys in baby names came from?

I care in that I'll be curious to see what the name is. I'm not on the edge of my seat or anything, though.

^^^ Basically.

Kind of OT, but kind of not. Does anyone know when or why the trend for replacing E sounds with Ys in baby names came from?

According to this article:

How the 60s and 70s May Have Advanced the Trend of Different Spelling of Names

It is interesting to note that the trend to create-your-own spelling has really taken root in the past 30 to 40 years. Before then, standard spellings were fairly consistent. However, if I had to pinpoint the names that seemed to start the ball rolling on spelling deviations, I would head to the late 60s and early 70s. Can you guess the names that may have started it all? I'll give you a hint, it would seem that originally varitions began on the long e sound at the end of some names.

Tracy, Stacy, Kimberly. I blame you. These three names were hugely popular at that time, and parents began adjusting the spelling of the ending syllable. Traci. Tracey. Tracie. Tracee. What began 40 years ago has now turned into a huge trend in varying (sometimes mutilating, if you ask me) spellings in order to have a name that appears to be different, but sounds the exact same. The different spelling of names trend has gone to an entirely new level.

http://baby.about.com/od/welcomingbabyh ... -Girls.htm

Saw this elsewhere and liked it

Maddox

Maddie for short

Maddox sounds like a male name, IMO-

Maddox sounds like a male name, IMO-

Maddox is a male name made popular by Angelina Joli. I have never heard it for a girl. Personally, I'm not a fan of it in general, but I much rather it be used on a boy than a girl.

actually I would spell Emmaline as Emmalene :think: unless it is Emma-line (as in the german diminutive line (compare gretchen with the German diminutive -chen(the proper name in German would be Grete or Greta )) How about Magda for a name or Micah(mycah) I think Mykah would fit mackynzie

I once knew a Rebykah.

*drops mic and walks off-stage*

You don't even want to know the version my parents saddle me with. I can't really spell it but lets just say its umm quite unique and I get lots of questions. Thank god, the y thing wasn't around when I was born because I'm pretty sure my dad would have added one in for good measure. :o

Archived