IGNORED

Anna Duggar - Merge

bunnybunz

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where are Anna and the kids these days? In DC?

Where is Josh?

This is exactly what I have been wondering. If they are in DC I'd imagine the police and security would be surrounding them for protection. For some reason, I have a feeling that one of their friends swung by their DC home, "rescued them" and drove them all the way down to JB & Michelle's and they are all holed up down there or living in the other part of Jill's mansion... Or maybe this friend drove them to a different, more secret location... There is no way they took a plane because the paparazzi were interrogating them the last time they were at the airport a few days ago...

I would imagine they're packing up the house since they're obviously done living in DC.

My daughter has speech issues. She gets speech therapy through the school system even though she isn't in school yet. If anyone is concerned about a preschool look into what services are available in your area.

This is exactly what I have been wondering. If they are in DC I'd imagine the police and security would be surrounding them for protection. For some reason, I have a feeling that one of their friends swung by their DC home, "rescued them" and drove them all the way down to JB & Michelle's and they are all holed up down there or living in the other part of Jill's mansion... Or maybe this friend drove them to a different, more secret location... There is no way they took a plane because the paparazzi were interrogating them the last time they were at the airport a few days ago...

John David's plane landed in Tulsa (from Springdale) two days ago and is still there. Things that make me go hmmmmmm. flightaware.com/live/flight/N68SY/history

I think Mac has a speech problem and I also think Marcus is speech delayed. I've never heard him make one single sound.

I don't think Anna is capable of teaching pre-schoolers the very basics, even, she is so dumb.

My son was speaking in 3-4 word sentences by 9 months, and was reading simple childrens' books by 13 months. By 24 months, he could read the newspaper and then explain what the article was about.

He is an exceptionally smart person, but his early skills, including language, were fostered by intensive interaction with him from birth. No one ever talked baby talk to him- we hate it.

I took him to the supermarket and would read food labels to him as I shopped. He learned instinctively because his world was saturated with FUN bonding experiences with his parents and my parents. All of us are college- educated, my ex-husband and I having multiple college degrees.

It's obvious to me that J and A's kids are getting the bare bones to just get by from their uneducated parents, IMO.

I think Mac has a speech problem and I also think Marcus is speech delayed. I've never heard him make one single sound.

I don't think Anna is capable of teaching pre-schoolers the very basics, even, she is so dumb.

My son was speaking in 3-4 word sentences by 9 months, and was reading simple childrens' books by 13 months. By 24 months, he could read the newspaper and then explain what the article was about.

He is an exceptionally smart person, but his early skills, including language, were fostered by intensive interaction with him from birth. No one ever talked baby talk to him- we hate it.

I took him to the supermarket and would read food labels to him as I shopped. He learned instinctively because his world was saturated with FUN bonding experiences with his parents and my parents. All of us are college- educated, my ex-husband and I having multiple college degrees.

It's obvious to me that J and A's kids are getting the bare bones to just get by from their uneducated parents, IMO.

I would say your son is unusual if he could read at 13 months- that's just not anywhere close to the norm.

I do agree though, baby talk does more harm than good.

I would say your son is unusual if he could read at 13 months- that's just not anywhere close to the norm.

I do agree though, baby talk does more harm than good.

Actually, baby talk is shown to have no effect whatsoever on developing speech and language skills. There are some societies/communities that baby talk, there are some that do not use baby talk, there are some societies that do not talk to the baby directly AT ALL until they are speaking in sentences. In all cases, children are shown to develop speech and language at the same milestones.

What is needed is a healthy linguistic environment, which is essentially exposure to as much language as possible. When THIS is not present, you start to see delays in language and speech development across the board. Isolation is almost always a poor linguistic environment. The issues we are seeing with the M kids are typical of toddlers, but not of children their age.

Generally, around ages 3-5, a child enters a wider linguistic environment. They begin to do things outside their family unit. They begin to interact more independently with the world. School, playdates, sports, increased activities...normal things for 3-5 year olds to be involved in that require them to use language more, and all things the M kids are denied. This spurs standardization of speech and accelerates mastering "tricky" sounds (though r's are not considered issues until the child is around 7). (One of) the issues is that the M kids have the linguistic environment of a toddler: they are isolated within the family unit and do not socialize independently.

It's a complex issue, however, having worked with kids with diagnosed speech and language issues, I do not see that with the M kids (though mind you, my sample is talking heads which are incredibly poor samples). I think their speech issues are due to their environments, and if you put them into school/daycare/or another environment where they had to socialize with peers and adults independently of their family unit, their speech would standardize fairly quickly.

I have never heard of a two year old reading the newspaper and then explain the article. :pink-shock:

I think TLC should do a show on your family! :mrgreen:

I have never heard of a two year old reading the newspaper and then explain the article. :pink-shock:

I know right! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, baby talk is shown to have no effect whatsoever on developing speech and language skills. There are some societies/communities that baby talk, there are some that do not use baby talk, there are some societies that do not talk to the baby directly AT ALL until they are speaking in sentences. In all cases, children are shown to develop speech and language at the same milestones.

What is needed is a healthy linguistic environment, which is essentially exposure to as much language as possible. When THIS is not present, you start to see delays in language and speech development across the board. Isolation is almost always a poor linguistic environment. The issues we are seeing with the M kids are typical of toddlers, but not of children their age.

Generally, around ages 3-5, a child enters a wider linguistic environment. They begin to do things outside their family unit. They begin to interact more independently with the world. School, playdates, sports, increased activities...normal things for 3-5 year olds to be involved in that require them to use language more, and all things the M kids are denied. This spurs standardization of speech and accelerates mastering "tricky" sounds (though r's are not considered issues until the child is around 7). (One of) the issues is that the M kids have the linguistic environment of a toddler: they are isolated within the family unit and do not socialize independently.

It's a complex issue, however, having worked with kids with diagnosed speech and language issues, I do not see that with the M kids (though mind you, my sample is talking heads which are incredibly poor samples). I think their speech issues are due to their environments, and if you put them into school/daycare/or another environment where they had to socialize with peers and adults independently of their family unit, their speech would standardize fairly quickly.

My daughter's pediatrician scolded my SIL for "baby talking" to my GD- the baby was maybe 8 mos old at the time. Now my GD does live in a bilingual home (one parent tri-lingual, one parent who only speaks one language), so maybe the MD had some concerns, IDK. My GD is 13 mos and has a few words in both English and Spanish.

Yup, as a teacher i'm pretty sure the M'kids "speech issues" are due to their poor environment and isolation, i just had a kid in my class with real speech issues and they don't have the same pattern although i would have to see more of them to have a better approach to their issues. My fundie cousin had the same speech as Mac at her age and when her parents put her in Christian School she normalized very quickly.

Maltesebaby, your son is incredibly brilliant IMO. A kid reading and comprehending an article at two is exceptional... And i thought i was smart because i could read at three :lol:

Considering Anna is so stupid, clearly any spawn of Bin and Jessa have no hope at all.

Guinness Book of World Records material.

John David's plane landed in Tulsa (from Springdale) two days ago and is still there. Things that make me go hmmmmmm. flightaware.com/live/flight/N68SY/history

What is in Tulsa for a Duggar to visit??

My daughter's pediatrician scolded my SIL for "baby talking" to my GD- the baby was maybe 8 mos old at the time. Now my GD does live in a bilingual home (one parent tri-lingual, one parent who only speaks one language), so maybe the MD had some concerns, IDK. My GD is 13 mos and has a few words in both English and Spanish.

MDs aren't trained in linguistics, though, and sometimes are quick to scold about such issues. Most in the field of linguistics have no issues with baby talk -- it seems to be some odd human instinct. I have heard of kids having interesting speech patterns in multilingual homes, but it all seems to usually smooth out by age 5..and kids from multilingual homes have strong advantages.

All that to say -- kids have variations in linguistic acquisition and can very easily catch up if caught early. We have limited footage of the M'kids. Hopefully they'll see more of the outside world, but we certainly can't diagnose problems with them with our very limited and highly edited exposure.

This sounds extremely contrived. I am not sure if standing in a supermarket reading food labels constitutes fun bonding experiences for a young child. I have a 15 month old and having him sit in a cart for the duration of a food shopping trip without getting bored and cranky is next to impossible. I can't even imagine attempting to make him read labels while shopping.

Aren't the Paine's (Chad's parents and siblings) in or near Tulsa?

Guinness Book of World Records material.

I didn't make my son read anything. I would tell him, for example, what the spaghetti sauce contained and show him the label with the words and pictures ( tomatoes, onions, mushrooms) as we went to the next aisle. He was a baby and young child who was interested in everything. He wanted to know how and why about everything under the sun. My mother says I was the same way. We weren't little sleepyheads in the shopping cart or at the malls. He was exceptionally alert and advanced from a very young age, walking around 8-9 months of age as well as talking in sentences. No one knows exactly why some children are gifted, but he had two smart parents, and my mother, who kept him while I worked, and I both taught him about things in his environment and read to him throughout the day every day.

I know it seems impossible, but he did hit milestones years ahead of any other child I've known about. Friends of ours who had found out that he could read and do math would stop us to get him to read things to them or add or subtract for them. He loved the attention at that time. His pediatrician was a friend of mine and strongly suggested that we get IQ testing done, which we did when he was very young. He was/is a genius, and he was told at a very early age that he is. ( big mistake).

No, I would never have put my child on display in any way. People found out about his reading, verbal and math skills purely by talking to him and interacting with him when he was very young. They were usually astounded by his early and complex verbal skills... I'm not sure how many people knew he could read when he was so young. We first became aware of it when he was sitting in the back seat of the car on a trip, and thought he was talking to himself. Since he never did this, I turned off the car radio and we listened to him. He was reading the various signs on the freeway. ( not stop signs and that sort, but the informational ones about construction hazards and detours and such). We knew he was reading children's books, which was all we had given him, but the words on the signs were quite different, of course. It was quite shocking to be in the car or out shopping with him for a few years, LOL. I remember taking him to my favorite candy store, where he picked out his own chocolate covered hand- dipped candy. He was maybe two years old at the most, as I had to hold him up to read the small descriptions on the top shelf, but the signs in front of the many various pieces were very easy for him to read. The owner of the shop was a friend of mine who had 4 children, and she was so shocked she kept asking him to read things. It was like that for a few years. But, he was a child, not a parlour trick.

I'd like to point out that I think I could have taken almost any child and done the exact same thing with their early learning experiences IF they were engaged with me, as he was. A long-time family friend who has known me since I was a pre-teen pointed out at my father's funeral a few years ago that when I babysat their children as a teenager, they loved me and learned quite a lot with me because I never treated them as " kids" but interacted with them on an equal basis. It's my style.

This is where I think Anna falls short. I don't think she knows how to not overly " baby" a growing child instead of helping them find new and exciting learning experiences. Interactive teaching/ learning was instinctive for me, and would become so for her over time, I believe.

I'm tired of my son being made fun of, as I am telling the truth and those who have known him for many years know the truth and he knows.

I won't be responding to any further troll-ish comments about my son.

I didn't make my son read anything. I would tell him, for example, what the spaghetti sauce contained and show him the label with the words and pictures ( tomatoes, onions, mushrooms) as we went to the next aisle. He was a baby and young child who was interested in everything. He wanted to know how and why about everything under the sun. My mother says I was the same way. We weren't little sleepyheads in the shopping cart or at the malls. He was exceptionally alert and advanced from a very young age, walking around 8-9 months of age as well as talking in sentences. No one knows exactly why some children are gifted, but he had two smart parents, and my mother, who kept him while I worked, and I both taught him about things in his environment and read to him throughout the day every day.

I know it seems impossible, but he did hit milestones years ahead of any other child I've known about. Friends of ours who had found out that he could read and do math would stop us to get him to read things to them or add or subtract for them. He loved the attention at that time. His pediatrician was a friend of mine and strongly suggested that we get IQ testing done, which we did when he was very young. He was/is a genius, and he was told at a very early age that he is. ( big mistake).

No, I would never have put my child on display in any way. People found out about his reading, verbal and math skills purely by talking to him and interacting with him when he was very young. They were usually astounded by his early and complex verbal skills... I'm not sure how many people knew he could read when he was so younBg. We first became aware of it when he was sitting in the back seat of the car on a trip, and thought he was talking to himself. Since he never did this, I turned off the car radio and we listened to him. He was reading the various signs on the freeway. ( not stop signs and that sort, but the informational ones about construction hazards and detours and such). We knew he was reading children's books, which was all we had given him, but the words on the signs were quite different, of course. It was quite shocking to be in the car or out shopping with him for a few years, LOL. I remember taking him to my favorite candy store, where he picked out his own chocolate covered hand- dipped candy. He was maybe two years old at the most, as I had to hold him up to read the small descriptions on the top shelf, but the signs in front of the many various pieces were very easy for him to read. The owner of the shop was a friend of mine who had 4 children, and she was so shocked she kept asking him to read things. It was like that for a few years. But, he was a child, not a parlour trick.

I'd like to point out that I think I could have taken almost any child and done the exact same thing with their early learning experiences IF they were engaged with me, as he was. A long-time family friend who has known me since I was a pre-teen pointed out at my father's funeral a few years ago that when I babysat their children as a teenager, they loved me and learned quite a lot with me because I never treated them as " kids" but interacted with them on an equal basis. It's my style.

This is where I think Anna falls short. I don't think she knows how to not overly " baby" a growing child instead of helping them find new and exciting learning experiences. Interactive teaching/ learning was instinctive for me, and would become so for her over time, I believe.

I'm tired of my son being made fun of, as I am telling the truth and those who have known him for many years know the truth and he knows.

I won't be responding to any further troll-ish comments about my son.

Uh, you do realize this is a snark site about a reality TV show? :hand:

Maybe you should go brag about your OMG genius baby on some mommy board, because you are a moron to post a wall of text about it here. No one cares.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for the life history of your son, MalteseBaby.

Probably you should go find someone who cares.

This topic is supposed to be about the decidedly un-genius Anna Duggar.

But I actually do feel sorry for Anna. I am wondering how she is coping, and I hope she is shielding Mac, Michael and Marcus as best she can. It's going to be rough for those kids (even if they don't reach the genius status of Maltese Baby's son!) and they are innocent babies in all this :(

Now I know to read the labels of food packages to my future child. AND back to Anna...

Actually many early childhood experts say that baby talk is a good thing. The repetition and sound play help the babies learn human speech. It seems mommies instincts aren't always wrong.

I really can't imagine the Duggar girls had anything to do with dropping this bombshell to the media. Actually, it couldn't have come at a worse time... Anna Duggar is heavily pregnant now, and who knows how the stress of this situation might be negatively impacting her pregnancy and birth plans. She was planning to give birth in DC, but those plans may have changed now? The same could be said about Jessa's unborn... it must be causing foetal distress... and I am sure Jill was not anticipating being a brand new mum under these circumstances.

Maybe he has an Okie lady friend whose family he's visiting while the shit storm rages at home. I know I wouldn't want to be involved in that Jim Bob-led weepy prayer-fest in the TTH.

Whether Josh and family are hiding out in Tulsa or somewhere in Arkansas, the paparazzi will find them eventually. Unfortunately for Anna and the kids.

Archived