IGNORED

Anna Duggar - Merge

bunnybunz

No, he was paying $3,500 a month for that house.

Yeah I understand that from the article. But they linked the ad for the house from Zillow. Zillow does something called a zestimate which is what they estimate the house to be worth based on the market and comparable houses. Zillows estimate for the house is $2,346. I don't know how accurate the zillow estimate is though.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I understand that from the article. But they linked the ad for the house from Zillow. Zillow does something called a zestimate which is what they estimate the house to be worth based on the market and comparable houses. Zillows estimate for the house is $2,346. I don't know how accurate the zillow estimate is though.

I wonder what kind of salary FRC was paying him in order for him to rent $3,500 a month. He was unable to afford the DC area though.

I wonder what kind of salary FRC was paying him in order for him to rent $3,500 a month. He was unable to afford the DC area though.

Right. It's always been a little irritating for me that they refer to them as living in DC. It's prince George's county in Maryland. They wouldn't have been able to afford anything in a safe area in DC. And I wouldn't say that their neighborhood is exactly what the Duggar's are used to.

Right. It's always been a little irritating for me that they refer to them as living in DC. It's prince George's county in Maryland. They wouldn't have been able to afford anything in a safe area in DC. And I wouldn't say that their neighborhood is exactly what the Duggar's are used to.

Oh PG County...

People who live in the DC-Metro area tend to say they're from DC. If someone asks where you're from and you say DC (or the DC area) people know where that is more than some random town. Also we wanna pretend to be cool.

Yeah, DC is one of those weird places where people who live there are impoverished or bajillionaires.

Edited for riffles

Oh PG County...

People who live in the DC-Metro area tend to say they're from DC. If someone asks where you're from and you say DC (or the DC area) people know where that is more than some random town. Also we wanna pretend to be cool.

Yeah, DC is one of those weird places where people who live there are impoverished or bajillionaires.

Depends on how hard you look and what you want. My husband and I definitely NOT bajillionaires, but we lived near Georgetown Law School and the rent was about $2300 for a 1 bedroom loft with an outside entrance. I was able to walk to work and it was close to the Metro. When you're looking at living in the city, time spent on the commute is a big part of the decision. Time it wrong, and you're in traffic hell for an hour or more each way.

Whenever I think of Oxon Hill, I think of dirty strip malls. The entire DC area is so weird. You can be somewhere completely safe, and 2 blocks away is shady and full of crime.

We moved to the Midwest at the end of March, and I'm so happy to be away from that hot mess of a city. :dance:

Depends on how hard you look and what you want. My husband and I definitely NOT bajillionaires, but we lived near Georgetown Law School and the rent was about $2300 for a 1 bedroom loft with an outside entrance. I was able to walk to work and it was close to the Metro. When you're looking at living in the city, time spent on the commute is a big part of the decision. Time it wrong, and you're in traffic hell for an hour or more each way.

Whenever I think of Oxon Hill, I think of dirty strip malls. The entire DC area is so weird. You can be somewhere completely safe, and 2 blocks away is shady and full of crime.

We moved to the Midwest at the end of March, and I'm so happy to be away from that hot mess of a city. :dance:

I'm just waiting for my husband to get orders so we can get out of here! :pull-hair:

Eh, that's not odd at all.

I live in a suburb of Houston. It is 30 miles away from downtown. Day to day, I will tell you straight up where I live. The Greater Houston area is so big... You could live 2 hours away from a suburb on the other side of town.

But when traveling, or talking to out of state friends and family, I say I live in Houston. My specific suburb is no reasonable point of reference for anyone out of state. "Houston" they understand.

I've never been to the DC area. For someone to say they live in Prince George County Maryland would mean nothing to me. I have zero point of reference. But to say they're from Washington DC, I can understand that.

I don't assume they live in the dead center of town. I live 30 miles from the dead center of Houston, but I still claim Houston as home when talking to people not from here.

I once lived in a town SW of Ritzville but north of Connell on highway 395. If you know what I'm talking about, good for you! That is a perfectly accurate description of where I lived. But if you don't have any point of reference, all that information is crap to you. That's how being told Josh lives in Prince George County would sound to me.

I live in a suburb of Houston. It is 30 miles away from downtown. Day to day, I will tell you straight up where I live. The Greater Houston area is so big... You could live 2 hours away from a suburb on the other side of town.

But when traveling, or talking to out of state friends and family, I say I live in Houston. My specific suburb is no reasonable point of reference for anyone out of state. "Houston" they understand.

I've never been to the DC area. For someone to say they live in Prince George County Maryland would mean nothing to me. I have zero point of reference. But to say they're from Washington DC, I can understand that.

I don't assume they live in the dead center of town. I live 30 miles from the dead center of Houston, but I still claim Houston as home when talking to people not from here.

I once lived in a town SW of Ritzville but north of Connell on highway 395. If you know what I'm talking about, good for you! That is a perfectly accurate description of where I lived. But if you don't have any point of reference, all that information is crap to you. That's how being told Josh lives in Prince George County would sound to me.

Oh i get why they say it, especially on the tv show. And it certainly sounds better and is more relatable than nowhere, Maryland. It still grinds my goat but that's something personal :lol: :lol:

Imagine20 - yeah I exaggerated a bit lol but $2300 is expensive for a 1 bedroom loft. It would be really hard to find something affordable to comfortably raise a family. It's just insane to me that a 1 bedroom apartment in DC is the same rent as a house in other places. Price you pay for convenience, I guess. But I agree with how weird DC is and how quickly you can go from a really nice neighborhood to crime central. Same with Baltimore.

Lol flyingxhanges sounds like you can't wait to leave. The main thing I don't like about living outside DC is DAMN TOURIST SEASON. And how hot and muggy it gets during the summer dyyyyying.

That's like the San Francisco Bay Area. You can be 3/4ths of the way to Sacramento and still say you're in the San Francisco Bay Area... it's something like 7,000 sq miles.

That's like the San Francisco Bay Area. You can be 3/4ths of the way to Sacramento and still say you're in the San Francisco Bay Area... it's something like 7,000 sq miles.

Vacaville here we come!

No one wants to say they're from PG county haha

I grew up in PG county. Born in Fairfax County,over on the VA side.

If people asked where we are from,we were taught to just say DC.

But I do have an uncle who still lives in Falls Church for 80+YEARS and he refuses to say he is from DC.

it's a weird and expensice place to live regardless , and you can literally think you're in a nice place and go for a few blocks and have the shady experience.

My ex MIL grew up in Oxon Hill, back in the day, it was pretty swanky I hear.

I didn't make my son read anything. I would tell him, for example, what the spaghetti sauce contained and show him the label with the words and pictures ( tomatoes, onions, mushrooms) as we went to the next aisle. He was a baby and young child who was interested in everything. He wanted to know how and why about everything under the sun. My mother says I was the same way. We weren't little sleepyheads in the shopping cart or at the malls. He was exceptionally alert and advanced from a very young age, walking around 8-9 months of age as well as talking in sentences. No one knows exactly why some children are gifted, but he had two smart parents, and my mother, who kept him while I worked, and I both taught him about things in his environment and read to him throughout the day every day.

I know it seems impossible, but he did hit milestones years ahead of any other child I've known about. Friends of ours who had found out that he could read and do math would stop us to get him to read things to them or add or subtract for them. He loved the attention at that time. His pediatrician was a friend of mine and strongly suggested that we get IQ testing done, which we did when he was very young. He was/is a genius, and he was told at a very early age that he is. ( big mistake).

No, I would never have put my child on display in any way. People found out about his reading, verbal and math skills purely by talking to him and interacting with him when he was very young. They were usually astounded by his early and complex verbal skills... I'm not sure how many people knew he could read when he was so young. We first became aware of it when he was sitting in the back seat of the car on a trip, and thought he was talking to himself. Since he never did this, I turned off the car radio and we listened to him. He was reading the various signs on the freeway. ( not stop signs and that sort, but the informational ones about construction hazards and detours and such). We knew he was reading children's books, which was all we had given him, but the words on the signs were quite different, of course. It was quite shocking to be in the car or out shopping with him for a few years, LOL. I remember taking him to my favorite candy store, where he picked out his own chocolate covered hand- dipped candy. He was maybe two years old at the most, as I had to hold him up to read the small descriptions on the top shelf, but the signs in front of the many various pieces were very easy for him to read. The owner of the shop was a friend of mine who had 4 children, and she was so shocked she kept asking him to read things. It was like that for a few years. But, he was a child, not a parlour trick.

I'd like to point out that I think I could have taken almost any child and done the exact same thing with their early learning experiences IF they were engaged with me, as he was. A long-time family friend who has known me since I was a pre-teen pointed out at my father's funeral a few years ago that when I babysat their children as a teenager, they loved me and learned quite a lot with me because I never treated them as " kids" but interacted with them on an equal basis. It's my style.

This is where I think Anna falls short. I don't think she knows how to not overly " baby" a growing child instead of helping them find new and exciting learning experiences. Interactive teaching/ learning was instinctive for me, and would become so for her over time, I believe.

I'm tired of my son being made fun of, as I am telling the truth and those who have known him for many years know the truth and he knows.

I won't be responding to any further troll-ish comments about my son.

Damn, you are special. Contacted MENSA yet?

No, he was paying $3,500 a month for that house.

Don't forget they were filming quite a bit of national TV there, so you'd need a landlord cool with that and all the production lights, bunch of people there, and so on. They couldn't just rent anything. I wouldn't be surprised at all if TLC did that lease.

I don't really think that site is very accurate. I'd estimate that his net worth is lower. I don't think he made much at the car lot but then again, I am not sure how much he was paid by FRC (Although he was only there for like 2 years?). He was paying $3,500 rent on the Maryland house.

I also think his net worth could be lower. I also don't think he made much at the car lot in Arkansas and in the early seasons of the show, the Duggars might not have made much money per episodes. There was probably an increase per episode later on. Josh might have made some extra money via residuals from DVD sales.

Great Post. I did not know much about that school. I honestly thought they went to secular school.

Very interesting and yes, that is probably where they were introduced, at least to the basics.

I may be mistaken, but I remember from when J&A announced their engagement that Anna has a bachelors degree in Christian education from some ultra conservative Christian college. Does this ring a bell with anyone else? Am I mis-remembering?

anna got married at 19 or 20....highly doubt she would have a BA even from a fake fundie school.

eta..their web site says she "graduated" from homeschool at 16 and taught Sunday school and AWANA.

Anna having a BA in early childhood education from an unaccredited online Christian college was mentioned quite a bit years ago. I can't remember the college's name. IIRC, Anna claimed she started working towards her BA at age 16.

Anna's BA might be similar to Jill's midwife degree and Jana being a concert pianist.

Anna probably took some online courses.

Since preparing the girls (beyond Jana) to be housewives and all things domestic has not really worked out that we can tell, I am surprised that the girls were not given real training (meaning from beginning to end) in some area where they could actually earn a living. JB seems all about the buck, yet his kids beyond JD aren't trained to do anything.

I am surprised that Gothard and the Duggars are so willing to support abject laziness and lack of marketable skills.

In order for the cause to grow and be sustainable, there needs to be a money source.

I remember reading about Anna's BA, too, but I think SassyPants may be right and it's on par with Jill's midwifery "education".

On a related note, how do fundies always seem to "graduate" homeschool at 16 (the only exception I can think of right now is Mary Maxwell)? In a normal family it wouldn't surprise me, because you can progress more quickly with one-on-one attention and a lot of homeschool families teach right through the summer, so over five years those extra two months add up to another entire year's worth of school.

With fundies, on the other hand, there isn't much one-on-one attention and, while they may teach through the summer, by grade seven or eight I imagine most kids, especially girls, spend a good chunk of their school day helping younger siblings rather than learning themselves. I imagine that most parents are just ready to give up on "educating" their kids by age 16, but don't they have standardised tests or other external evaluation? I really question the education people like the Duggars have received, without even going into the Wisdom Booklets and faux science aspects.

I remember reading about Anna's BA, too, but I think SassyPants may be right and it's on par with Jill's midwifery "education".

On a related note, how do fundies always seem to "graduate" homeschool at 16 (the only exception I can think of right now is Mary Maxwell)? In a normal family it wouldn't surprise me, because you can progress more quickly with one-on-one attention and a lot of homeschool families teach right through the summer, so over five years those extra two months add up to another entire year's worth of school.

With fundies, on the other hand, there isn't much one-on-one attention and, while they may teach through the summer, by grade seven or eight I imagine most kids, especially girls, spend a good chunk of their school day helping younger siblings rather than learning themselves. I imagine that most parents are just ready to give up on "educating" their kids by age 16, but don't they have standardised tests or other external evaluation? I really question the education people like the Duggars have received, without even going into the Wisdom Booklets and faux science aspects.

I believe is required by law for kids to go to school until they're 16 (unless they're geniuses who skip a bunch of grades), would that extend to homeschool?

Some probably take and pass the GED. I know kids in many public schools in CA take the test in sophomore year.

As someone else mentioned, it seems in some homes, education just ends in the early teen years, likely d/t to parents needing help with the physical work of running the home, caring for the gaggle of children or running a home business.

I just thought of something else, how many parents are qualified to teach the courses that kids would need or desire beyond age 16? Things like higher level math, lab courses or advanced foreign languages? I'd say not many, especially if they had attended a SOTDRT. Imagine Jill or Jessa teaching Jr and Sr level courses.

Omigod, SassyPants, can you imagine Jill trying to teach differential equations? Hell, can you imagine Michelle or Jim Bob teaching them to her in the first place?

I believe is required by law for kids to go to school until they're 16 (unless they're geniuses who skip a bunch of grades), would that extend to homeschool?

Oh, that makes sense. So they "officially" finish at 16 (after taking the GED or not), even when, as SassyPants mentions, they may have stopped really learning anything years before.

Archived