IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard, Derick Dillard, & Baby Israel - Part 2

happy atheist

I can't believe she still wanted a home birth being GBS+.

Or do they bring iv antibiotics to home births?

We still have no idea if Jill even had a professional midwife attending her labor while she was at home. But, my current homebirth midwife, and every single one that I have interviewed this pregnancy, can administer IV abx for GBS+ women at home, during labor. That by itself is not necessarily a reason to transfer. But AGAIN - there is a whole criteria for assessing risks with GBS and Jill's labor was basically the entire list of "If you have these, your risks are doubleplusungood!!eleventy!!1!"

GBS+ by itself is really not a huge deal, but GBS+ plus early rupture of membranes plus meconium plus long labor plus plus plus (little or no professionals monitoring the situation?? she did appear to be getting IV abx, so someone was there?)...

Here's the California College of Midwives informed consent sheet on GBS. There's good info on risks involved with it. http://www.collegeofmidwives.org/colleg ... ent_05.pdf

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB mentioned Derick had a procedure done which made them miss an appearance on May 3, here: http://livestream.com/accounts/1340795/events/4022656 (appearance was discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25811&p=933794#p933794) but I'm curious where you saw a palate expander mentioned? I only watched the first few minutes of that video, so maybe it's in there.

Jill mentioned it in an article about her Mother's Day plans >> http://www.people.com/article/jill-duggar-dillard-first-mothers-day-exclusive.

If Jim Bob is right about Derick having the procedure done a few weeks ago, and not a few days as I had originally thought, does that mean Derick being clean shaven at Izzy's dedication this past weekend was for reasons other than surgery? :o Because I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of Derick as recently as last week and he still had a "full" beard then (LOL keep fooling yourself, Derick! ;) :lol: ). I know I'm shallow, but I hope he decided to shave because he or Jill finally saw how awful his scraggly, patchy beard was.

JB mentioned Derick had a procedure done which made them miss an appearance on May 3, here: http://livestream.com/accounts/1340795/events/4022656 (appearance was discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25811&p=933794#p933794) but I'm curious where you saw a palate expander mentioned? I only watched the first few minutes of that video, so maybe it's in there.

Sorry, I was a little bit off there. According to the People article from May 10 he had surgery to expand his palate. So not a palate expander per se.

Jill mentioned it in an article about her Mother's Day plans >> http://www.people.com/article/jill-duggar-dillard-first-mothers-day-exclusive.

If Jim Bob is right about Derick having the procedure done a few weeks ago, and not a few days as I had originally thought, does that mean Derick being clean shaven at Izzy's dedication this past weekend was for reasons other than surgery? :o Because I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of Derick as recently as last week and he still had a "full" beard then (LOL keep fooling yourself, Derick! ;) :lol: ). I know I'm shallow, but I hope he decided to shave because he or Jill finally saw how awful his scraggly, patchy beard was.

Some dudes just can't get glorious face-manes. I want to assume that Derick was just very optimistic and kept the beard going for a while to see if it would grow in more evenly, but it looks like he's wisely given up.

I didn't know who he was, so I'm glad she tagged him, though I don't understand why she did. I recently got instagram and I don't know the ins and outs yet. Something about Ronnie Floyd reminded me of HSN host Bill Green, for some reason! :lol: I used to watch him for hours at a time with an elderly relative who was all about home shopping. :shifty-kitty:

I remember back when there was the megathread on the Erin Bates/Chad Paine wedding, and there were pictures shown of Bill Gothard. There was one where he was standing next to his birthday cake (they had one for him at their wedding reception), and he was standing in profile, and Gothard looked just like this Floyd fellow, only Floyd looks a bit younger. I was having flashbacks for a second there!

Here is a picture of Bill Gothard. The resemblance might not be that close, but I couldn't help but compare. ;)

post-7337-14452000246003_thumb.jpg

I've stepped back from this thread because the arguments were getting a little heated for my taste (and I had nothing of substance to add), so I apologize if this has already been asked. Jill said something to the effect that the meconium staining was an emergency but not that much of an emergency (paraphrasing of course). My question is: can meconium staining be considered not a major emergency? I thought it was a thing that the baby needed to be out as soon as possible?

*note: this is not meant to be an attack on Jill or her birth plans. I'm asking as a woman who has never given birth/been pregnant, and am generally curious about what she meant by her statement.

Passing meconium in utero is usually a sign of fetal distress. It's the "fight or flight" response. You know the expression, "so scared I shit my pants."? That's what it is, essentially. If there are no other signs of distress, meconium by itself isn't usually a a big emergency. That's why one should be on a continuous fetal monitor when meconium is seen. Medical professionals will also qualify the meconium as thin or thick. Thin meconium--usually ok. Thick meconium is a problem--more likely due to distress and a lot more likely to lead to meconium aspiration syndrome. Timing is also important to consider, did the baby pass meconium before labor started or during?

Thanks for the People link; I hadn't seen it.

LOL I didn't even realize Derick had shaved for Izzy's dedication; I miss a lot, apparently. :D I don't know anything about palate expanders, but I guess nine days should be plenty of recovery time.

There have been a few aftershocks in Nepal today, per the USGS.

I had my ears pierced as a baby, glad I never had to fight that battle with my mom.

Same here. I'm glad my mum got mine pierced as a small child. I think I was three and I still remember crying about it lol. Years later I went and got my seconds and thirds done. If I have a daughter I will definitely get her ears pierced.

Question: is meconium staining an indication that a quick C-section would be advisable, just in case the baby is in distress?

Because if I ever got pregnant again, went into labor, and saw meconium when my water broke, I'd probably tell them to get the baby out as soon as possible just to be safe.

Question: is meconium staining an indication that a quick C-section would be advisable, just in case the baby is in distress?

Because if I ever got pregnant again, went into labor, and saw meconium when my water broke, I'd probably tell them to get the baby out as soon as possible just to be safe.

No- not in an otherwise healthy mom with a routine pregnancy.

Just another piece of information that must be taken into consideration. I'm not sure that I would professionally endorse a low intervention, limited monitoring, home birth for someone who has presented with MEC staining. Me personally, I would head to the hospital in that situation, which I believe the Dillards did do.

They just monitor the baby, if baby is fine they let labor progress. Ds had to have an internal monitor, but he was fine and I still delivered normally. Nicu team checked him out and he was fine. Every situation is different, but don't jump to c-section right away without knowing all the facts. A lot of babies do just fine even with meconium.

Derick shaved!! :cracking-up: Now can we get him back to getting his hair cut by a professional?

Derick shaved!! :cracking-up: Now can we get him back to getting his hair cut by a professional?

Why would the Duggars ever pay for a haircut? They own scissors. It's one of the great Duggar saving tips.

Slightly OT, but I was wondering about the average weight of the babies Venessa Giron delivers. I didn't do any math, and I know fuck all about baby weights, but I thought 8 pounds would be about average and would expect to see a wide range of mostly 7-9 lb babies. I wasn't paying close attention when I looked at A Mommy's Butterfly FB, but I got the impression that she delivered a lot of nine pounders. Could she be advising a particular diet, for instance, that results in bigger babies? I think I've seen high protein mentioned here a time or two.

ISB: I definitely think she could have made better diet choices that would have helped Izzy stay smaller. Surely she didn't eat the plate of sodium in the CB pic, but maybe she did. :shock: and other similar diet choices.

Could she possibly have had gestational diabetes..? There's no way of ever knowing, but just a random idea.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but were the Duggar kids themselves large babies or around average size?

A note on the ear piercing. This is only one opinion, but when I was a kid my pediatricians office (and all the pediatricians in the practice) *strongly* advised my mom against getting our ears pierced before we were 10, and when we were 10 we got them pierced at the doctor's office. I'm guessing this was because by age 10 kids can take care of the piercings themselves and also express a real desire to have them done, whereas much younger kids really can't. I haven't done much research on the subject, but this is what I'm planning to do with my own kids.

Could she possibly have had gestational diabetes..? There's no way of ever knowing, but just a random idea.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but were the Duggar kids themselves large babies or around average size?

This idea's been thrown out a bunch ever since Jill started showing big. I think I remember someone (Cathy?) saying Derick was a large baby, so it would make sense for Izzy to be large as well. Michelle's baby sizes varied a lot. Jessa was the largest baby at almost 10 pounds + I don't think Michelle ever had GD.

Edited to add an idea + for typos.

ISB: I definitely think she could have made better diet choices that would have helped Izzy stay smaller. Surely she didn't eat the plate of sodium in the CB pic, but maybe she did. :shock: and other similar diet choices.

ehhh, i may be called a leghumper for this, but blaming parents for how their babies are born (or not born) always bothers me.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this as well, when you're up for it. :)

Agree, please do share your thoughts when you have time!

Gotta say though, money drying up would limit their ability to influence things politically. :cracking-up:

ehhh, i may be called a leghumper for this, but blaming parents for how their babies are born (or not born) always bothers me.

no, you're right it depends on a ton of things, that's why i put ISB in there. :lol:

it's going to be something she'll pay closer attention to next time though, if she did eat the things she was pictured eating. Her babies all may be big, but healthier choices do help as much as possible.

no, you're right it depends on a ton of things, that's why i put ISB in there. :lol:

it's going to be something she'll pay closer attention to next time though, if she did eat the things she was pictured eating. Her babies all may be big, but healthier choices do help as much as possible.

Lol my great internet skills are failing me right now. I'm not sure what ISB means. I googled and all that's coming up is "I'm so bored" and "International School of Brussels" :?

Edit: Found it!... in the FJ dictionary. :embarrassed:

yep it was international school of brussels (sprouts) :lol: sorry, my corny sense of humor

really - Internet Speculation Bus :auto-swerve:

The Duggars diet is not great, let's be honest here. However, Jill and Anna both have shown interest in cooking healthier meals. Jill also seemed very intrigued by the food Derick brought along to the picknick. I don't think their diet will remain as unhealthy as it had been back in the TTH.

People call Jill smug for whatever reason, I think it's just as smug to "know" that she was on a bad diet during pregnancy and could've changed things had she eaten differently. Seriously, guys. :?

We still have no idea if Jill even had a professional midwife attending her labor while she was at home. But, my current homebirth midwife, and every single one that I have interviewed this pregnancy, can administer IV abx for GBS+ women at home, during labor. That by itself is not necessarily a reason to transfer. But AGAIN - there is a whole criteria for assessing risks with GBS and Jill's labor was basically the entire list of "If you have these, your risks are doubleplusungood!!eleventy!!1!"

GBS+ by itself is really not a huge deal, but GBS+ plus early rupture of membranes plus meconium plus long labor plus plus plus (little or no professionals monitoring the situation?? she did appear to be getting IV abx, so someone was there?)...

Here's the California College of Midwives informed consent sheet on GBS. There's good info on risks involved with it. http://www.collegeofmidwives.org/colleg ... ent_05.pdf

According to Arkansas scope of practice for lay midwives, they are not allowed to order medications. Vit K shots and eye ointment is obtained by the mother from a physician before the birth. Same goes with antibiotics. A visiting nurse comes to start an IV and administer the antibiotics during labor.

Archived