IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard, Derick Dillard, & Baby Israel - Part 2

happy atheist

The constant swaddling thing throws me off. Maybe that's because my kid hated being swaddled.

The stupid photos they took where they are lying on the bed outside their home and what not just irritate me even more. I have this irrational hatred towards the Dullards now. lol

#petty

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of my kids would stay swaddled after about ten days. They'd get those blankets off lickety split. She must have some giant blankets, or they must be tied in the back! :lol: I liked the little footie sleepers.. they'd be warm and able to move.

Swaddling does a lot of good for babies. I usually buy a sleep sack for babies. http://www.halosleep.com

There is a swaddle sleep sack for newborns and the sleep sack for up to 24 months. And it is great. I think swaddling has benefits for babies. I got recommended these as gifts from a nurse because they make swaddling in a pinch easy.

But Izzy probably needs to be in a sleep sack, he is a big baby!

Swaddling does a lot of good for babies. I usually buy a sleep sack for babies. http://www.halosleep.com

There is a swaddle sleep sack for newborns and the sleep sack for up to 24 months. And it is great. I think swaddling has benefits for babies. I got recommended these as gifts from a nurse because they make swaddling in a pinch easy.

But Izzy probably needs to be in a sleep sack, he is a big baby!

The miracle blanket is the way to go to keep the squirmers in a swaddle, especially when they are calmer for it.

FOr us, we usually only swaddled at night....

I have a granddaughter born last fall. When she is going to sleep or waking up she rubs her hands along the sides of her face. When she was itty bitty she would at times claw her face. She scratches her face with her nails, no matter how short her mother try's to clip them. She probably could clip them shorter but as a first time mom she is cautious.

She wore mittens for her first couple of months because her mom was trying to protect her face. I encouraged her mom to take them off when she could so she could explore with her hands but ever time she scratched herself the mittens went back on. She is six months old now and has finally stopped clawing at her face but she did it for months.

I don't know what is going on with Izzy and of course Jill is not inexperienced with babies, but sometimes mittens can be helpful. We only see short clips and a few pics of Izzy, he may spend plenty of his time unmittened.

My daughter clawed at her face like that too when she was a newborn. Yes, I as a first time mom was overly cautious with the nail clippers and I too often left mittens on her for a good portion of the time she was awake... it was either that or have her with her face scratched like she'd been battling an army of feral cats.

At the time, ex-Mr JFH and I lived pretty far away from our families and it took a visit from my mama and her showing me exactly how short I could safely clip her nails to get that right. Somehow I doubt Jill is getting that kind of instruction on caring for very young babies from J'Chelle (heck, we all know she doesn't care for newborns all that well herself. I keep going back to the feeding Jordyn flat on her back on the sofa as proof of that).

My daughter clawed at her face like that too when she was a newborn. Yes, I as a first time mom was overly cautious with the nail clippers and I too often left mittens on her for a good portion of the time she was awake... it was either that or have her with her face scratched like she'd been battling an army of feral cats.

At the time, ex-Mr JFH and I lived pretty far away from our families and it took a visit from my mama and her showing me exactly how short I could safely clip her nails to get that right. Somehow I doubt Jill is getting that kind of instruction on caring for very young babies from J'Chelle (heck, we all know she doesn't care for newborns all that well herself. I keep going back to the feeding Jordyn flat on her back on the sofa as proof of that).

I never did it, but some parents bite their baby's nails. I guess nibble would be a better word. :)

Some dudes just can't get glorious face-manes. I want to assume that Derick was just very optimistic and kept the beard going for a while to see if it would grow in more evenly, but it looks like he's wisely given up.

I think he actually looks better with the beard than clean shaven. And I recall Jill thinking the same. In the Nepal episode she tells him she likes both. In the talking head she says she prefers the beard. But perhaps his beard is scratchy when snuggling with his little baby.

Jill looks pretty good, n00bs are exhausting at the best of times, and I have been told that c-sections are harder to heal from than regular birth. I'm not sure why everybody jumped on the PPD wagon, just based on a few pictures, but hey it's FJ so I guess that's par for the course :lol:

He's still such a big baby, I feel for her. DS never even looked like a newborn to me, he was a week late but he was a big baby too.

And I also don't blame her for wearing maternity clothes, trying to figure out your body after having a baby is hard and maternity clothes are comfy, lol.

I agree...my body is so jacked up after having a baby. Even back to a normal weight, my clothes didn't fit right at all. My shape just changed. So annoying.

I think she looks good and the picture is cute. But maybe that's because I did similar photos like that with my kid.

They need to stop the constant swaddling and take off those mittens so he can move freely and start to manipulate his hands and fingers.

At first I thought they must leave him swaddled constantly but I thankfully have seen some photos of him free too. As far as the mittens, we put them on our son a lot. Even with keeping his nails short...when the mittens were off, his face looks like Edward Scissorhands'.

Looks like he's trying to get out of that ridiculous swaddle. My kids liked it for a week or two, tops.

I never got the hang of a good swaddle with a regular blanket. But I used these swaddle ones that had velcro. We'd really mostly do it when he slept. But around 1 month old, he started wiggling his arms part way out and getting pissed so we just stopped completely. Went to using sleep sacks instead. So much better. I had friends that swaddled a long time and then when it was time to stop, their kids had a hard time transitioning. I was happy we stopped when we did.

Calm yourself, padawan, by OT standards, J+D have to wait 40 days post birth (for a son, more for a daughter) to have relations again. I presume that's what above user is talking about.

Thanks! I missed the hand slapping that I got. I hadn't realized we weren't supposed to discuss the beliefs that the Duggars have been very open about.

I don't have to track crap, Jill makes it all public.

Thanks! I missed the hand slapping that I got. I hadn't realized we weren't supposed to discuss the beliefs that the Duggars have been very open about.

I don't have to track crap, Jill makes it all public.

Still creepy. You can discuss anything you want. Other people can share their opinion that it's creepy. Really, Jill discussed what day she and Derrik were going to have sex again? I must of missed that. Was it in People? Just an aside , but regardless of religious beliefs, there are also healing and comfort issues after major surgery. I was advised to wait 8 weeks after my first C- Section.

Still creepy. You can discuss anything you want. Other people can share their opinion that it's creepy. Really, Jill discussed what day she and Derrik were going to have sex again? I must of missed that. Was it in People? Just an aside , but regardless of religious beliefs, there are also healing and comfort issues after major surgery. I was advised to wait 8 weeks after my first C- Section.

There's a whole flipping thread dedicated to when will Jill be pregnant again but I'm the creepy one for mentioning it twice?!?!?! What the hell?!?! The Duggars have been very open about the whole 40/80 rule.

I find it odd that this thread had a whole meltdown over what we should be discussing and that many feel it should be their beliefs. I bring up the belief of the 40/80 rule but I'm the creep. :angry-banghead:

I have a granddaughter born last fall. When she is going to sleep or waking up she rubs her hands along the sides of her face. When she was itty bitty she would at times claw her face. She scratches her face with her nails, no matter how short her mother try's to clip them. She probably could clip them shorter but as a first time mom she is cautious.

She wore mittens for her first couple of months because her mom was trying to protect her face. I encouraged her mom to take them off when she could so she could explore with her hands but ever time she scratched herself the mittens went back on. She is six months old now and has finally stopped clawing at her face but she did it for months.

I don't know what is going on with Izzy and of course Jill is not inexperienced with babies, but sometimes mittens can be helpful. We only see short clips and a few pics of Izzy, he may spend plenty of his time unmittened.

I'm just going to pretend that he has to wear the mittens because he has Elsa-style ice powers and will bring forth an eternal winter in Arkansas if he doesn't wear them at all times.

I'm just going to pretend that he has to wear the mittens because he has Elsa-style ice powers and will bring forth an eternal winter in Arkansas if he doesn't wear them at all times.

This makes me a little sad because I wonder if he will ever be allowed to watch Frozen. :cry:

This makes me a little sad because I wonder if he will ever be allowed to watch Frozen. :cry:

He won't. Elsa's powers are like magic and magic is evil.

Also, the true love that breaks the spell is between two females. Sisters, yes, and i cried, it was beautiful. But some fundies invent things to get freaked out about.

Also, the true love that breaks the spell is between two females. Sisters, yes, and i cried, it was beautiful. But some fundies invent things to get freaked out about.

It is ridiculous what fundies get freaked out about. There is nothing wrong with some age appropriate television.

I was surprised the first time I watched the Harry Potter movies because I expected them to be a lot more evil.

It is ridiculous what fundies get freaked out about. There is nothing wrong with some age appropriate television.

I was surprised the first time I watched the Harry Potter movies because I expected them to be a lot more evil.

I remember reading some articles people wrote about how they didn't want their kids to see Frozen because apparently they thought it was a metaphor for how it's okay to be gay. People find excuses to find anything that is popular offensive.

They should really "let it go" and realize "love is an open door" :lol:

I remember reading some articles people wrote about how they didn't want their kids to see Frozen because apparently they thought it was a metaphor for how it's okay to be gay. People find excuses to find anything that is popular offensive.

I mean, I do see the parallels to someone coming out of the closet, especially in Let It Go ("Let it go, let it go, and I'll rise like the break of dawn, let it go, let it go, that perfect girl is gone! Here I stand in the light of day, let the storm rage on...the cold never bothered me anyway") and I really like that interpretation, but you can just as easily interpret it to be about any sort of self-acceptance, and the true overarching message is that running away from your problems won't solve them and that love for your family is the most important kind of love. Pretty good messages no matter your religious beliefs, IMO. They are missing out on a good movie because of their close-mindedness. Though they better be consistent and prevent their children from watching any Disney movie with songs by Howard Ashman, since he was openly gay (his husband accepted his posthumous Oscar for writing the songs for Beauty and the Beast) and there is speculation that The Little Mermaid is a metaphor for being transgender.

A note on the ear piercing. This is only one opinion, but when I was a kid my pediatricians office (and all the pediatricians in the practice) *strongly* advised my mom against getting our ears pierced before we were 10, and when we were 10 we got them pierced at the doctor's office. I'm guessing this was because by age 10 kids can take care of the piercings themselves and also express a real desire to have them done, whereas much younger kids really can't. I haven't done much research on the subject, but this is what I'm planning to do with my own kids.

Same with my sister and I, except no doctor involved. It was just a judgment call by our mother. After that we were allowed to experiment with makeup, starting with lip gloss at age 12 and gradually working up to full face makeup at 16-17. Having a beautician for a mother was fun.

Wow. I don't even know how they saw that in the movie. Anna and Elsa were sisters.

I mean, I do see the parallels to someone coming out of the closet, especially in Let It Go ("Let it go, let it go, and I'll rise like the break of dawn, let it go, let it go, that perfect girl is gone! Here I stand in the light of day, let the storm rage on...the cold never bothered me anyway") and I really like that interpretation, but you can just as easily interpret it to be about any sort of self-acceptance, and the true overarching message is that running away from your problems won't solve them and that love for your family is the most important kind of love. Pretty good messages no matter your religious beliefs, IMO. They are missing out on a good movie because of their close-mindedness. Though they better be consistent and prevent their children from watching any Disney movie with songs by Howard Ashman, since he was openly gay (his husband accepted his posthumous Oscar for writing the songs for Beauty and the Beast) and there is speculation that The Little Mermaid is a metaphor for being transgender.

I could see Let it Go applying to many of these fundie children. Stop trying to fit into the mold your parents are trying to force you to be and be yourself. Be free and be who you were meant to be.

Nut and Nutschelle appeared on the 700 club this morning. viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25811&p=939978#p939978

The part that's relevant to this thread is in the Duggar family bio on 700's website-- cbn.com/700club/guests/bios/Duggars_051515.aspx -- another birth story, with new details!!!!!! At least I think they're new. :?

Earlier this month, Jill gave birth to Israel after nearly 70 hours of labor. “We took on everything that happened during our labor with prayer,†says Jill. “We could feel that God was with us.†They settled into the bedroom where she planned to deliver with their midwife. Three hours into the contractions, the baby’s head was pointed downward, but the back of his head was against Jill’s back, known as the posterior position. This position makes delivery more painful and difficult. “We tried different positions to move him,†says Jill. After 20 hours of labor and contractions one minute apart, Jill wasn’t dilating. “There were times when I looked into her eyes during contractions where I wanted to cry,†says Michelle. “I did everything I could to not to break into tears.â€

Concerned, the family decided it was time to go to the hospital. Once at the hospital, Jill declined the Pitocin (hormone given to speed up labor) and the epidural (pain medication). Then Jill opted for both after she tried to get by without either. Then the baby flipped into a transverse breach position (sideways and upside down) and was experiencing irregular heart rates. He had still not yet descended into the birth canal. The doctor decided to proceed with a C-section. In the final minutes, Derrick scrubbed in and cut the cord. Israel weighed in at 9 pounds 10 ounces and set a length record (23 inches) at the hospital for 2015.

and

The day Israel was born, Josiah, 18, announced his courtship to Marjorie...

I don't remember it being the day Iz was born? *off to check* Edit: Okay, the courtship was announced April 13, but they stated it began on April 6. viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25619&p=913833&hilit=marjorie+jackson#p913833

Archived