IGNORED

Bengi graduated from collage. Jessa tweeted.

Justme

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what gets me, and yes, I'm kinda bitchy about these things: Everyone's announcing Bin graduated from college. But he got an AA from a community college. It's great, and it's a step in the right direction. But isn't graduating college getting a BA/BS? Or completing a terminal program, like nursing or welding?

IDK, my brother went to CC for an AS, then a UC for a BS, THEN had his graduation party. He didn't call himself a college graduate until he got his BS; he was a transfer student until then, as in, transferring to a school that offered Bachelors degrees.

My fear is that we'll now hear JB and Michelle crow about their two college-educated sons-in-law, when the two men have vastly different levels of education AND when they've denied most of their sons (Joseph is the only exception thus far) and ALL of their daughters any opportunity for advanced education.

I think it's great Ben got his degree and I do believe he can say he graduated from college, even though it's a community college. He worked for it and should be proud of himself. Yes it may not nevessarily help in a job search but he started and finished something that may help him in the future. A real secular education. It is more than any of the Duggars have ever done. Makes me wonder if he would have kept going if he was not now a Duggar. Someone in his family obviously pushed education, which were know is against the laws of Duggarland. As for so many people being there, i always had almost 30 people at my graduation. I think graduates were given six or eight tickets. I did what a lot of other did, I bought tickets from students who weren't going to use these. Ben could have done that, although I doubt it.

I don't believe that Ben is going to get a real job any time soon. A real job won't allow him to be away from work every week while he travels with the dog and pony show. I doubt Jessa wants him to spend time away from her everyday.

Congrats, Ben. An AA is great, and hopefully it will help you get a good, steady job for raising your new family. And you and Derick can be role models to your brothers and sisters-in-law as a devout Christian who got a degree from a secular institute of higher education and did not lose his convictions.

Also, what was his major/area of study?

Congrats, Ben. An AA is great, and hopefully it will help you get a good, steady job for raising your new family. And you and Derick can be role models to your brothers and sisters-in-law as a devout Christian who got a degree from a secular institute of higher education and did not lose his convictions.

Also, what was his major/area of study?

Judging from his recent 'interviews' it wasn't in broadcast journalism.

I think it's great Ben got his degree and I do believe he can say he graduated from college, even though it's a community college. He worked for it and should be proud of himself. Yes it may not nevessarily help in a job search but he started and finished something that may help him in the future. A real secular education. It is more than any of the Duggars have ever done. Makes me wonder if he would have kept going if he was not now a Duggar. Someone in his family obviously pushed education, which were know is against the laws of Duggarland. As for so many people being there, i always had almost 30 people at my graduation. I think graduates were given six or eight tickets. I did what a lot of other did, I bought tickets from students who weren't going to use these. Ben could have done that, although I doubt it.

I don't believe that Ben is going to get a real job any time soon. A real job won't allow him to be away from work every week while he travels with the dog and pony show. I doubt Jessa wants him to spend time away from her everyday.

IDK, it's working for D Dillard- and he works for a less than generous company.

Filmed for the show- Were Jill and Izzy there?

I didn't see them in the pics from Guinn's fb.

FWIW, JD flew to Houston yesterday and the flight was before the ceremony started. An FJer suggested that JD flew Derick to a friend's wedding and we've been talking about it in the Duggar Aviation thread. In any case, if Derick went to a wedding, he would probably take Jill, right? Speculation on top of speculation!

I think it's fair to call Ben a college graduate. He did graduate from an institution classified as a college. I also do understand how it could be annoying to Derrick if they were both regularly lumped together as the "college educated sons-in-law." The program I'm enrolled in now is really time consuming and rigorous, and it can be frustrating knowing that it's all lumped together under the umbrella of "college" when I'm in the library studying molecular synthesis problems until 3 a.m. while the group that was in the library earlier working on their poster on "The Gender Implications of Legally Blonde" wrapped up 6 hours ago.

I think it's fair to call Ben a college graduate. He did graduate from an institution classified as a college. I also do understand how it could be annoying to Derrick if they were both regularly lumped together as the "college educated sons-in-law." The program I'm enrolled in now is really time consuming and rigorous, and it can be frustrating knowing that it's all lumped together under the umbrella of "college" when I'm in the library studying molecular synthesis problems until 3 a.m. while the group that was in the library earlier working on their poster on "The Gender Implications of Legally Blonde" wrapped up 6 hours ago.

Yeah, I know some (most?) of my irritation is personal and based off the very different requirements of certain programs. I come from a family where the graduates of community colleges are seen as on par with the graduates from 4-year universities, as touted by our wonderful (no snark, seriously, she was one of the greatest women ever) matriarch Grandma. It irritates me still, even though I know my grandma understood the differences and probably didn't want the some kids to feel like they'd accomplished less than the others...even though certain programs required far less to complete. ETA: Two years/the equivalent is less than four years/the equivalent...part of me really wants that recognized.

The rest of my snark still stands, though: I don't want to hear JB and Me'chelle brag about their college-educated sons-in-law when they don't allow their own children (sans Joseph-- learn from him, J'kids/slaves!) the same opportunity.

Best case scenario: this event might open some doors for some of the younger Duggars. At the very least, it exposes them to secular education and they'll probably notice no one is consumed by sin/obviously in league with Satan.

Good for Ben for finishing his Associates Degree.

He could have easily dropped out.

You have to have the first two years of college to get to the next two years. It all builds. So I don't take anything away from him just because it is "just" a two year degree".

I believe he is 20 years old, so an Associates Degree at 20 years of age is not behind the curve at all.

Most community college credits transfer to a 4 year University BS or BA programs. I hope he continues his education. He could have BS or BA by 22 yrs of age if he chooses to pursue that option.

I also hope that it encourages the Dugger 19 to pursue higher education.

Yeah, I know some (most?) of my irritation is personal and based off the very different requirements of certain programs. I come from a family where the graduates of community colleges are seen as on par with the graduates from 4-year universities, as touted by our wonderful (no snark, seriously, she was one of the greatest women ever) matriarch Grandma. It irritates me still, even though I know my grandma understood the differences and probably didn't want the some kids to feel like they'd accomplished less than the others...even though certain programs required far less to complete.

The rest of my snark still stands, though: I don't want to hear JB and Me'chelle brag about their college-educated sons-in-law when they don't allow their own children (sans Joseph-- learn from him, J'kids/slaves!) the same opportunity.

Best case scenario: this event might open some doors for some of the younger Duggars. At the very least, it exposes them to secular education and they'll probably notice no one is consumed by sin/obviously in league with Satan.

I feel you there. My siblings go to a technical college, and by go to a technical college, I mean regularly waste my parents' money failing their classes at a technical college. I'm a straight A student at a university in what is a difficult program to many if not most of the people who enroll in it. But yeah, we're all college students! I do understand the frustration in a family situation like that.

I hate to be a party pooper, but I never understood the value of an associate's degree. /cc dropout whose plan was to transfer

Depends on what the associate's degree is in.

Get one in automotive repair, nursing, heating/ventilation/AC/refrigeration tech, paramedic, etc...and you will likely make more money in your first few years working than I ever did as a teacher with a four year degree and many grad hours.

Get one in political science on the other hand and never transfer to finish a bachelor's degree...well, then you're going to need your father-in-law to maintain a reality show that will pay you for airing your wedding and what not.

I need to find me a father-in-law with a reality show so I can call my B.A. in English gold and call it a day. I'm tired of school.

So are we going to talk about the fact that there's a mystery girl next to Joseph in one of the graduation pictures pickles posted? Should that have it's own thread? Maybe he met someone at clown college

So are we going to talk about the fact that there's a mystery girl next to Joseph in one of the graduation pictures pickles posted? Should that have it's own thread? Maybe he met someone at clown college

She looks like Tabitha Paine, but I don't think it's her. I think I saw the guy in the red shirt in the Duggar's Silver Dollar City photos(Can't see his face in the graduation photos). :think:

Here's what gets me, and yes, I'm kinda bitchy about these things: Everyone's announcing Bin graduated from college. But he got an AA from a community college. It's great, and it's a step in the right direction. But isn't graduating college getting a BA/BS? Or completing a terminal program, like nursing or welding?

IDK, my brother went to CC for an AS, then a UC for a BS, THEN had his graduation party. He didn't call himself a college graduate until he got his BS; he was a transfer student until then, as in, transferring to a school that offered Bachelors degrees.

My fear is that we'll now hear JB and Michelle crow about their two college-educated sons-in-law, when the two men have vastly different levels of education AND when they've denied most of their sons (Joseph is the only exception thus far) and ALL of their daughters any opportunity for advanced education.

Stop looking down on community colleges,for some that's all they can afford. Yes, I realize Bin isn't one of those people but I hate when peoplr act liked CC doesn't count. It does.

Stop looking down on community colleges,for some that's all they can afford. Yes, I realize Bin isn't one of those people but I hate when peoplr act liked CC doesn't count. It does.

It's not that I'm looking down on CCs, which I fully support and think are awesome, it's just that I think there's a big difference between the two goalposts: AA/AS and BA/BS. It totally counts, but it's not equivalent to a BA/BS, due to the hours/time involved. The BA/BS involves twice as much time, on average. An MA/MS is not equivalent to a PhD, either. Totally fine. Just notice that they're different.

FTR, I would LOVE to see Bin take it further to a BA/BS then a JD or MA/MS (sort of -- another part of me is concerned that he'd use any paperwork to move up the political ladder to make laws to discriminate against others). But I do like to see people pursue higher education. I think it's better in person, compared to online, but part of that depends on the instructor, as well.

Don't take me as classist, though. I respect everyone pursuing higher education. I just like noticing different labels and their different meanings.

She looks like Tabitha Paine, but I don't think it's her. I think I saw the guy in the red shirt in the Duggar's Silver Dollar City photos(Can't see his face in the graduation photos). :think:

She looks like the girl in Jessa's IG pic from several months ago..I think at the time people were speculating her and JD might be courting...

Comparision:

https://instagram.com/p/xsXV0Djfpk/ (from Jessa's IG - going out for ice cream)

https://www.facebook.com/26918191318062 ... =1&theater (at Ben's graduation/birthday party this weekend)

She looks like the girl in Jessa's IG pic from several months ago..I think at the time people were speculating her and JD might be courting...

Comparision:

https://www.facebook.com/26918191318062 ... =1&theater (at Ben's graduation/birthday party this weekend)

That totally looks like the same girl.

Also, I noticed Ben had a gold cord. Did he graduate with honors? If so, very good for him!

Comparision:

That's Tabitha Paine in Jessa's IG photo . She's 30.

ETA: I think that was Jonathan Hortano it the Silver Dollar City photo.

Comparision:

That's totally Tabitha. I had my doubts in the profile shot behind Jackson, but entering the auditorium it's really clear.

ETA: Where is Pickles getting these pics? She really should be giving credit.

It's not that I'm looking down on CCs, which I fully support and think are awesome, it's just that I think there's a big difference between the two goalposts: AA/AS and BA/BS. It totally counts, but it's not equivalent to a BA/BS, due to the hours/time involved. The BA/BS involves twice as much time, on average. An MA/MS is not equivalent to a PhD, either. Totally fine. Just notice that they're different.

FTR, I would LOVE to see Bin take it further to a BA/BS then a JD or MA/MS (sort of -- another part of me is concerned that he'd use any paperwork to move up the political ladder to make laws to discriminate against others). But I do like to see people pursue higher education. I think it's better in person, compared to online, but part of that depends on the instructor, as well.

Don't take me as classist, though. I respect everyone pursuing higher education. I just like noticing different labels and their different meanings.

I've always wanted to take an online class just to see what it's like, but I've never had the opportunity to. Most of my classes are lab classes these days, and those aren't usually offered online for obvious reasons. I tried to take a summer calculus class online, but it filled up within a split second. I'll admit that there's a part of me that is less impressed by someone's degree they earned entirely online than a degree someone earned attending to classes in person. I just have a hard time fitting the image of someone sitting in front of a computer for years into my concept of what college looks like. I might have a different perspective had I ever had the opportunity to complete a class online, though.

Depends on what the associate's degree is in.

Get one in automotive repair, nursing, heating/ventilation/AC/refrigeration tech, paramedic, etc...and you will likely make more money in your first few years working than I ever did as a teacher with a four year degree and many grad hours.

Get one in political science on the other hand and never transfer to finish a bachelor's degree...well, then you're going to need your father-in-law to maintain a reality show that will pay you for airing your wedding and what not.

Yeah, I can see that. I do have friends who majored in poli sci and got good jobs after graduation, but this was at a well-regarded four-year university and they networked like there was no tomorrow. And most if not all of them are either finishing law school, in law school, or studying for the LSAT now. As I said further up, good on Ben for getting his degree, since I'm sure it took hard work and dedication and if the gold cord is any indication he did a good job academically, but he is going to have a hard road ahead of him finding a good job.

Also, considering NPCC is secular, I'm sure Ben was loads of fun in his political science classes. Part of me really hopes there was one ultra-liberal gay atheist in one of his classes. If I were the professor I'd just offer a topic to discuss and sit back with a bag of popcorn and watch the fun.

Archived