IGNORED

Bengi graduated from collage. Jessa tweeted.

Justme

It's a legit college, a community college. Associate Degree in Political Science, I believe. He finished earlier this year and the ceremony was today.

Wait; I thought I read awhile ago he was in school to become a pastor ???

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pouring over the pictures Pickles stole from idk where (though I did see the sourse linked here--I just don't remember what it was) and I don't understand why there's a still photographer taking candids and posting them on Facebook. Is it a hired photog who is in charge of the prop picture corner, too? TLC? Both? :think:

I'm pouring over the pictures Pickles stole from idk where (though I did see the sourse linked here--I just don't remember what it was) and I don't understand why there's a still photographer taking candids and posting them on Facebook. Is it a hired photog who is in charge of the prop picture corner, too? TLC? Both? :think:

I don't know about the rest but when there's a photo booth set up there's usually a photographer, and if it's like at a wedding, he or she is probably going around snapping pics of the festivities, too.

The person who posted them is a Seewald friend (I actually always thought him to be a family member but I can't recall the exact relationship) and community member who likes to post hot springs current events.

They may do all of that, but many people who earn them find that they're not very helpful in terms of finding employment on their own in the way that a vocational degree is. Many of the people who were in my classes back when I was an English major are now also going back to school for something else after unsuccessfully trying to obtain reliable employment for years. Many employers do value an English or other liberal arts degree, but not usually on its own. Not going to argue, though. I know this is a touchy subject for a lot of people, and I know what my experience as a liberal arts graduate looked like, and it wasn't pretty. It does work out for some, but many others need to obtain further education in another field or vocational training.

Everyone's experience is different. That was kind of my point. Just because some people have trouble getting a job with a liberal arts degree does not mean most people do. Also, getting a degree in technology, engineering and business does not guarantee a job either. Though anecdotal, I have two friends who are literally rocket scientists (it sounds better than aerospace engineers) who have been unemployed on and off the last few years because government funding for projects have dried up. I think the fallacy is that a degree gets you a job. It doesn't. Networking, community service, experience, and luck among other things get you the job. A degree is one of many necessary factors.

That's really interesting! I never really thought about the potential for those types of challenges. My thinking has largely just centered around that there's no professor around to prevent cheating from taking place (I know some classes require students to film themselves working, but I don't think that's common). I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to get an online class excited about the opportunity to pursue the material without engaging the students in person; I could totally see that.

Online education isn't for everyone. It requires a decent amount of self-discipline, as no one is there to remind you when your next assignment is due. However, the benefit is that you can complete courses on your own schedule (with certain parameters). Testing is usually done in an on-campus or proxy testing center so it is controlled and you can't really cheat - at least not any more than you can in a regular classroom. Essays are usually submitted in programs like Turn It In or Safe Assign that automatically check for plagiarism. I think it might be easier to cheat in a traditional classroom, especially if it is a large lecture with 200+ students.

I teach at a university that has entered the online-course market, and it annoys most faculty. High percentages of students can fail, and this is not something colleges would like to admit, so the success rates usually exclude online-only students if you look at the fine print. Most major universities I am aware of use it as a cash cow - a way to make more money to pay bloated administrators. Wow, that last bit sounded almost disgruntled :twisted:

As another aside, A.A./A.S. degrees are respected by my colleagues and I at a big state university. In my personal experience, transfer students are just as prepared and competent as their classmates who did not transfer, yet they saved about $20,000-30,000 in tuition. That's sound economic sense! Obviously, community colleges vary greatly in terms of quality, so perhaps my area is not a standard example. But it does bother me when people criticize community colleges. They offer accessible education, not 'easy' education.

Good for Bin, at least he finished it. It said he was taking classes before he met Jessa but I was certain it went out the window as soon as he became a ''permanent cast member'' on 19KAC. So I'm actually happily surprised he finished his degree. I guess I didn't have a lot of faith in him. Good thing he proved me wrong. As for the rest of his adult life... we'll see.

On a side note, am I the only one who keeps reading this thread as ''collage''. I know it's a typo, but I keep thinking ''Did Bin do a photo collage?'' :lol:

[quote="mpheels"

On the other hand, I love being a teaching assistant for online classes. When I TA for on campus classes, the professor does all of the talking, and the TAs are relegated to grading and dealing with logistics. With online classes (at least at my school), the TAs get to do more actual teaching because the classes are too large for a single faculty member to handle all questions. This term, I was responsible for a group of 20 students, and I loved having Skype meetings to discuss their papers. It's pretty rewarding to grade the final product when I've seen it grow from a rough outline to a 20 page research paper in just 8 weeks (yes, 8 weeks - my school is crazy, and we have four 8-week terms instead of normal semesters or quarters).[/quote=mpheels]

I am happy for Ben graduating and getting a ceremony - I am not familiar with what type of degree he got - but if he can do it at 19 - I can do it 20 years older than him :D yeah me :D

I won't be getting a ceremony - I completed all my assignments for my real estate course :D and I take my exam in September

I hope he uses it in a great way

We didn't have dual credit courses when I was in high school but I took some classes at the local community college. I was taking English Comp and the assignment for that class lined up with my high school course. I opted to do one paper and just turn it in for both classes. I got an A in my college course and a C- in my high school course. My high school teacher about passed out when I handed her my college paper. She was so disappointed. But the rest of them were pretty much on par with my other "real" college courses.

Congrats to Bin for earning a real degree at a secular school! Someone on the Seewald side should be encouraging him to keep up the momentum by transferring to a university. It is my hope that by completing community college debt-free and with his fundiness intact, Boob will reconsider this avenue for his brood. Bin's AS/AA is far more valuable than any paper from College Minus or U of Gothard.

[quote="mpheels"

On the other hand, I love being a teaching assistant for online classes. When I TA for on campus classes, the professor does all of the talking, and the TAs are relegated to grading and dealing with logistics. With online classes (at least at my school), the TAs get to do more actual teaching because the classes are too large for a single faculty member to handle all questions. This term, I was responsible for a group of 20 students, and I loved having Skype meetings to discuss their papers. It's pretty rewarding to grade the final product when I've seen it grow from a rough outline to a 20 page research paper in just 8 weeks (yes, 8 weeks - my school is crazy, and we have four 8-week terms instead of normal semesters or quarters).[/quote=mpheels]

My hat is off and my head is bowed to you and your 8 WEEK TERMS. Is that humane? Should we check the Geneva Convention?

I'm taking organic chemistry in an 8-week course lol. Both my general chemistry and calculus classes were 5 weeks long. Summer classes are so much fun. :P

I really think his dad or another relative payed for his college tuition. The reason I think this is because he said he had the opportunity to get a degree , so he might as well take it.

He was on the Deans list several Times.

NPCC does not have a poly sci or ministry degree. He went for business management. I realize one person saying that doesn't make it true, but he told someone else on Facebook (and I believe it is documented here) the same thing.

If he were going to pursue ministry or become a pastor, Champion Baptist College would be the local college in Hot Springs. I'm surprised Jim Bob didn't send Joseph there to be honest. Anyway, maybe as a Calvinist Champion wouldn't be a good fit for Ben.

I got a certificate in nonprofit management from the state university using all online classes. It took some getting used to, but I adapted. The worst experience was with a class that was designated as a Guided Independent Study. The class was structured so that you could not access the next unit until the professor graded the big paper or test from the previous unit. I was climbing the walls when the professor was increasingly late with the grades, then was unresponsive for two weeks while she dealt with a family emergency. I was worried that I wouldn't get my work done before the final deadline.

Well, congratulations, I guess!

He will think that he now is an intellectual and even more superiour to people not thinking like him than he already is. Most people on here are happy for him. He has a 2-year CC degree in political science which will place him ahead of most fundies his age. They probably hope he will be the next President and follow him like sheeple.

It also shocked me that a guy who does only speak one single language and has never left the country before he met the Duggars could get a degree in political science? I mean, in my country we have to learn at least 2 foreign languages fluently to get a f****** high school degree!!!

Before I enrolled the Bachelor's program in french language and literatur I had to proof that I could speak it fluently before I could even start the program (because they would only speak french during lectures, duh!) (oh, and I'm not french, btw).

I am so confused, is that normal in the U.S.? It's a sincere question. Or is there just such a huge difference between ivy league universities, state unis and cc? please, someone explain...

Ben, get the 4-year degree and learn a second language fluently, then I will be happy for you and will truely be able to think that you could go somewhere.

I'm taking organic chemistry in an 8-week course lol. Both my general chemistry and calculus classes were 5 weeks long. Summer classes are so much fun. :P

I'm familiar with accelerated summer courses (once I took 12 units in 6 weeks -- insane. But I did graduate in 4 years), but an entire YEAR of that style session? :pink-shock: Oh my goodness. My head would explode.

Well, congratulations, I guess!

He will think that he now is an intellectual and even more superiour to people not thinking like him than he already is. Most people on here are happy for him. He has a 2-year CC degree in political science which will place him ahead of most fundies his age. They probably hope he will be the next President and follow him like sheeple.

It also shocked me that a guy who does only speak one single language and has never left the country before he met the Duggars could get a degree in political science? I mean, in my country we have to learn at least 2 foreign languages fluently to get a f****** high school degree!!!

Before I enrolled the Bachelor's program in french language and literatur I had to proof that I could speak it fluently before I could even start the program (because they would only speak french during lectures, duh!) (oh, and I'm not french, btw).

I am so confused, is that normal in the U.S.? It's a sincere question. Or is there just such a huge difference between ivy league universities, state unis and cc? please, someone explain...

Ben, get the 4-year degree and learn a second language fluently, then I will be happy for you and will truely be able to think that you could go somewhere.[/quote=isarhenne]

ETA: I CANNOT seem to fix the quote here. Sorry. I obviously did not study coding at any point during my treks through various universities. :D

For an AA/AS, not having a second language is normal. I live in CA, and we have a tiered system which was excellent for decades and is slowly being defunded. The CCs are for EVERYONE and you can earn your AA/AS there. In CA, we also have CSUs (California State Universities) and UCs (University of California). The UCs are the best funded, most rigorous, and usually have well-funded graduate programs to the doctoral level; the CSUs are in the middle, funding-wise, and usually offer BA/BS and often MA/MS (ETA: they also offer certifications -- I got a TESL Certificate from a CSU, and know many teachers who were trained at CSUs, as well). You can't earn a PhD, MD, JD, etc, from a CSU.

My understanding is that many states have similar situations. The CC is kind of the ground floor, so to speak, on your way up through the education process. There are the State Universities, and then the University of the State. So while there are many differences between, say, a Michigan State and U of Michigan course of study, both will give a BA/BS to students who've earned them and both have some kind of foreign language requirement.

For a BA/BS from a CSU or UC, you have to have a second language. Each college determines the level of fluency required. I have seen very different upper division classes at the CSU and UC levels, personally, but don't have data to support that on all campuses. The Ivies and private colleges vary, but from what I've heard, they also have a foreign language req.

I really think his dad or another relative payed for his college tuition. The reason I think this is because he said he had the opportunity to get a degree , so he might as well take it.

He was on the Deans list several Times.

NPCC does not have a poly sci or ministry degree. He went for business management. I realize one person saying that doesn't make it true, but he told someone else on Facebook (and I believe it is documented here) the same thing.

If he were going to pursue ministry or become a pastor, Champion Baptist College would be the local college in Hot Springs. I'm surprised Jim Bob didn't send Joseph there to be honest. Anyway, maybe as a Calvinist Champion wouldn't be a good fit for Ben.

Lily and Ellie said it's business, too.

duggarfamilyblog.com/2015/05/ben-seewald-turns-20.html

Good luck getting a job with a 2 year political science degree! I have a Bachelor's in it from a Big 10 School, excellent grades and still had to get other qualifications to get a job with a somewhat living wage. I can't really see Ben as a librarian though!

I'm familiar with accelerated summer courses (once I took 12 units in 6 weeks -- insane. But I did graduate in 4 years), but an entire YEAR of that style session? :pink-shock: Oh my goodness. My head would explode.

*SNIP*

Yeah, the first term was a shock to the system, especially after seven years or working full time. Each 8 week term covers about 2/3 of what you would cover in a normal semester. There is a definite ebb and flow of energy, with the first two weeks of term being very relaxed and social, and by the end of term the only social interaction is sitting at the same table and studying quietly. We're required to take between 12 and 20 credit hours per term, and expected to have research and teaching jobs that take 20 hours a week. For contrast, the school I attended for my master's required 6-9 hours for graduate students, and recommended 15 hours/week of RA/TA work. It's a very good school (best of it's kind in the US, possibly the world), and they actually do emphasize teaching when hiring and promoting faculty, so it isn't too bad.

For an AA/AS, not having a second language is normal. I live in CA, and we have a tiered system which was excellent for decades and is slowly being defunded. The CCs are for EVERYONE and you can earn your AA/AS there. In CA, we also have CSUs (California State Universities) and UCs (University of California). The UCs are the best funded, most rigorous, and usually have well-funded graduate programs to the doctoral level; the CSUs are in the middle, funding-wise, and usually offer BA/BS and often MA/MS (ETA: they also offer certifications -- I got a TESL Certificate from a CSU, and know many teachers who were trained at CSUs, as well). You can't earn a PhD, MD, JD, etc, from a CSU.

My understanding is that many states have similar situations. The CC is kind of the ground floor, so to speak, on your way up through the education process. There are the State Universities, and then the University of the State. So while there are many differences between, say, a Michigan State and U of Michigan course of study, both will give a BA/BS to students who've earned them and both have some kind of foreign language requirement.

For a BA/BS from a CSU or UC, you have to have a second language. Each college determines the level of fluency required. I have seen very different upper division classes at the CSU and UC levels, personally, but don't have data to support that on all campuses. The Ivies and private colleges vary, but from what I've heard, they also have a foreign language req.

CSUs don't require a foreign language to graduate, at least not the one I attended and not in the program I completed. They require at least 2 years of foreign language to get IN* but not to get out (graduate). Also, some of them offer doctorates in education (Ed.D.) and doctorates in nursing (I don't know the initials for that one).

*This may be different for transfer students, but I don't know. I went to a CSU as a high school grad and had to have at least 2 years of foreign language. Fluency not required :D .

Congrats to Ben for graduating. The hard part now is to keep going and I hope he does keep going.

CSUs don't require a foreign language to graduate, at least not the one I attended and not in the program I completed. They require at least 2 years of foreign language to get IN* but not to get out (graduate). Also, some of them offer doctorates in education (Ed.D.) and doctorates in nursing (I don't know the initials for that one).

*This may be different for transfer students, but I don't know. I went to a CSU as a high school grad and had to have at least 2 years of foreign language. Fluency not required :D .

Congrats to Ben for graduating. The hard part now is to keep going and I hope he does keep going.

Thank you for explaining. I think growing up with your first language being English, it's not that big of a deal not to speak a second language. I wish it was my first language. It opens a lot of doors!!! We had to do 9 years of English and 7 years of a second foreign language (french, latin, italian or spanish) in high school (high school is 9 years here, age 9 to 18).

Some CSUs do- and some don't. My daughter's campus did. She ended up with a Spanish minor, went to an International School for her MA and had to pass written and verbal foreign language competency tests for admission. She lives and works in a Spanish speaking country.

My son's UC campus started the requirement when he was a JR- he tested out. I'm not sure if all the UCs have the requirement.

Interesting! I apologize for my inadvertent lies.

The CSU near me requires some amount of foreign language study, but certainly not to fluency. I got a BA from a UC, where we had to do quite a bit of foreign language study (I was dreaming in Spanish by the end!). I was an English major, so there could very well be differences in other fields, especially STEM. When I got my MA, I had to study another foreign language, but again I was studying English, so that could have been tied to my course of study.

Also, requirements have changed significantly during the last few decades. Sadly, most Americans don't especially value foreign languages and thus don't tend to make them requirements. I know there've been kerfuffles at both my alma maters, and requirements have changed. My undergrad program has been completed revamped and my grad program is heading that way (but in a slower fashion). I only finished my master's in 2012! But time's still racing by, demanding change.

Some CSUs do- and some don't. My daughter's campus did. She ended up with a Spanish minor, went to an International School for her MA and had to pass written and verbal foreign language competency tests for admission. She lives and works in a Spanish speaking country.

My son's UC campus started the requirement when he was a JR- he tested out. I'm not sure if all the UCs have the requirement.

I think all 4 year colleges in CA require a year of foreign language, but you can test out.

Archived