IGNORED

Bengi graduated from collage. Jessa tweeted.

Justme

amandaaries, my apologies, I didn't mean to imply you were lying :embarrassed:

In reply to you and sassy ETA: and DuggarsTheEndIsNear (just saw your post), it's quite possible that requirements have changed since I graduated. I certainly would've preferred foreign language over the required philosophy gen ed classes we HAD to take (no choice), but that's just me.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
amandaaries, my apologies, I didn't mean to imply you were lying :embarrassed:

In reply to you and sassy, it's quite possible that requirements have changed since I graduated. I certainly would've preferred foreign language over the required philosophy gen ed classes we HAD to take (no choice), but that's just me.

No worries whatsoever! I tend to be rather hyperbolic in general and it can be hard to discern that from a computer screen. Not offended at all. :D

And it did make me realize that I'm acting like a counselor who knows all the ins and outs of various schools, when really, they're all pretty unique. Even then, we all know one or two students who found a way to sneak through or by certain requirements, right?

I think we can still say that more foreign language emphasis would be better in American universities.

The problem is that we start studying so late compared to everyone else. Studying at high school and/or university is better than nothing, but earlier would be so much more helpful. Sadly, educational policies are often influenced/crafted by politicians who feel beholden to xenophobic voters. Rather than embracing new languages, we have several states with "English-only" instruction, which is harmful and damaging for students.

I want to weigh in on the language debate! As a teacher, I see students from multiple diverse backgrounds in a day and instruction needs to be in English. We have a lot of children that English is their foreign language and they need to spend as much time immersed as possible.

But, we also need foreign language opportunities earlier. It needs to be an elective and separated out.

A friend of mine just looked it up.

Political Science is one of the options for a required class for a degree. You can take that or history.

My theory is he took that class and somehow it was turned into Ben getting a degree in that. Who knows, it may have interested him and he considered furthering his education in that field.

I'm not sure where to begin with the quoting mess, so Re: 8-week courses year-round. Personally, I'd love that given my current situation since I'm only taking a few prereqs after finishing a bachelor's in an unrelated field. The sooner I finish this crap the better! :P But I definitely could see burnout being strong doing that year after year after year!

As for foreign languages, I don't think I'll ever be able to master one of them, sadly. My degree program required four semesters of Spanish. Aced all ofthem. Couldn't tell you much more than "hola" these days. :/

I want to weigh in on the language debate! As a teacher, I see students from multiple diverse backgrounds in a day and instruction needs to be in English. We have a lot of children that English is their foreign language and they need to spend as much time immersed as possible.

But, we also need foreign language opportunities earlier. It needs to be an elective and separated out.

That's the theory, and immersion is helpful, but most of those students wind up with a double assignment: learn English AND learn whatever information is being presented. A lot of students slip through cracks with English-only. We could definitely support them more, but we don't.

I have a friend who's a teacher in Canada. He speaks English, Spanish, and Korean. He (and the Canadian government) supports home languages and cultures. He is able to talk to the kids in different languages and ensure everyone is learning. The policies are very foreigner-friendly.

Here in the US, we could help support students with developing English skills by having aides who know their home language in the classroom to help review/augment lessons, but we don't want to spend our money that way. Some states have outlawed languages other than English in the classroom, which is absurd. I really think schools should strive to meet students at their current level and move onward and upward from there, but we'll need significantly more funding before that day arrives.

I'm taking organic chemistry in an 8-week course lol. Both my general chemistry and calculus classes were 5 weeks long. Summer classes are so much fun. :P

Heh- try teaching them. I taught general chemistry at a CC during summer night sessions. 101 and 102 during eight weeks, four nights a week, two hours a day. Lab three days a week for another 2.5. I'd get home a bit before 11, spend the next hour or two grading (with the pace of the course you had to get everything back the next day) then grab some sleep before going back to the day job.

I love teaching so it was tolerable but good grief was I exhausted by the end of it.

Heh- try teaching them. I taught general chemistry at a CC during summer night sessions. 101 and 102 during eight weeks, four nights a week, two hours a day. Lab three days a week for another 2.5. I'd get home a bit before 11, spend the next hour or two grading (with the pace of the course you had to get everything back the next day) then grab some sleep before going back to the day job.

I love teaching so it was tolerable but good grief was I exhausted by the end of it.

I couldn't imagine being the professor for those long lectures! My general chemistry II lectures were 3 hours long each, 5 days/week, on top of 3 hours in lab twice per week (a different professor taught the lab, though)..and they met at 8 a.m. for extra fun. On certain days, my calculus lectures were four hours long. I have no idea how on earth anyone can teach that long. I never slept the entire semester I took those damn classes. Taking a lecture exam on Thursday and then the ACS final, which covered all topics from both gen chem I and II, on Friday was the best part. Glad that semester is behind me.

I did OChem 1 in an 8 week summer course and it was rough.

I got a D+ in OChem 2 and that was honestly the absolute best I could have done. I poured everything I had into that class :(

I did OChem 1 in an 8 week summer course and it was rough.

I got a D+ in OChem 2 and that was honestly the absolute best I could have done. I poured everything I had into that class :(

I also got a D in Ochem 2. The only D I've ever earned. It was my last med school pre-requisite, and the last course I needed to have a minor in chemistry. I decided maybe med school wasn't meant to be, but took the class again anyway so I would have the minor. Got a B+ the second time around. It has actually served me well, if only as a conversation piece on my resume - not many people out there with a BA in anthropology and a minor in chemistry. :lol:

So in the most recent article on the DuggarFamilyBlog; Bin states how he loves traveling with the Duggars. Well, gee whiz, you associate degreed dim whit, who wouldn't? You travel, stay, and eat for free; while YOU have NO other responsibilities but to kiss Blessa and be proud you knocked her up.. Must be nice at 20!

I also got a D in Ochem 2. The only D I've ever earned. It was my last med school pre-requisite, and the last course I needed to have a minor in chemistry. I decided maybe med school wasn't meant to be, but took the class again anyway so I would have the minor. Got a B+ the second time around. It has actually served me well, if only as a conversation piece on my resume - not many people out there with a BA in anthropology and a minor in chemistry. :lol:

You guys are scaring me! I managed an A in ochem 1 but didn't actually deserve it unless the professor curved the entire class' grades by a good bit because my test average was only an 86. I think she took pity on me because I had an "I'm not smart enough for this :'( :( :(" meltdown in her office, lol. And also because she knew I spent my entire life working hundreds of problems for her class that semester. I had all of the wasted trees to prove it.

You guys are scaring me! I managed an A in ochem 1 but didn't actually deserve it unless the professor curved the entire class' grades by a good bit because my test average was only an 86. I think she took pity on me because I had an "I'm not smart enough for this :'( :( :(" meltdown in her office, lol. And also because she knew I spent my entire life working hundreds of problems for her class that semester. I had all of the wasted trees to prove it.

You will be fine. I struggled to get a B in the first ochem class. For the second class, the class average on the midterm was 42/100, so there was a substantial curve. My score was 14. :pink-shock:

ETA - another quick note - an 86 is just 4 points shy of an A on a ten point scale (the norm at most colleges/universities). That isn't much of a curve for any of the STEM classes I took. I'm now in a field that straddles the STEM-social science fence, and I would definitely give a 4 point bump to a student who is that close to an A and has put it a lot of effort. Students who skipped class and never bothered? They get B's.

On of my favorite stories to tell first year students is that I got the lowest grade in my class on my first Pchem exam- it was just dismal.

I have a Ph.D in physical chemistry from a rather well known school now. Some of that came from a lot of extra work with that professor. (speaking as the guy on the other side of the class, we do pay attention to the folks putting in the extra effort). It's ok to screw up once in a while- everyone does it and it's not the end of the world. But it should be a wake-up call that perhaps you need to pay a bit more attention

amandaaries what program are you in? That kind of course set up sounds like it would be amazing for me!

I agree with everyone who has said it's not where you go to school, but what you study. I've gone to college (more practical based training) as well as through a 5 year dual honours BA program at a highly recognized bilingual university (more theory and emphasis on academic thinking)... the college diploma was 1/4 the cost and there are actually jobs available in that field. If I want to do anything relating to my university degree, I'll need to save up for my MA or doctorate.

I also feel like the professors at my university unfairly used their students for research ideas and work. We essentially paid to complete their research for them.

amandaaries what program are you in? That kind of course set up sounds like it would be amazing for me!

I agree with everyone who has said it's not where you go to school, but what you study. I've gone to college (more practical based training) as well as through a 5 year dual honours BA program at a highly recognized bilingual university (more theory and emphasis on academic thinking)... the college diploma was 1/4 the cost and there are actually jobs available in that field. If I want to do anything relating to my university degree, I'll need to save up for my MA or doctorate.

I also feel like the professors at my university unfairly used their students for research ideas and work. We essentially paid to complete their research for them.

Did you mean me, for the MA and TESL? Or mcpheels with that crazy 8 week program?

mcpheels? I definitely meant the super high intensity program...

It's a public health graduate program - I'm happy to share details over PM if you are interested in the field. The school of public health is the only division within the university that uses this schedule.

Question. Are Bin's younger siblings homeschooled? I haven't heard it discussed here before.

I was a chemical engineering major. I went into my advisor's office at the end of the semester because I was concerned it was one of the classes you have to at least get a C in to graduate. It wasn't, because like I said, there's absolutely no way I could've done better. I was studying for that class alone 3-4 hours a day, had a tutor, etc.

So in the most recent article on the DuggarFamilyBlog; Bin states how he loves traveling with the Duggars. Well, gee whiz, you associate degreed dim whit, who wouldn't? You travel, stay, and eat for free; while YOU have NO other responsibilities but to kiss Blessa and be proud you knocked her up.. Must be nice at 20!

Woah. Hey. Stop. Your rant has NOTHING to do with his education, and an associates degree should never be used as part of an insult.

Question. Are Bin's younger siblings homeschooled? I haven't heard it discussed here before.

Yeah they are part of a home school co-op.

Yeah they are part of a home school co-op.

So it's real schooling? Not 6 hours bible study/brainwashing time?

So it's real schooling? Not 6 hours bible study/brainwashing time?

It's homeschooling, they just meet with others to do field trips and stuff. Ben played on a football team and some (one?) of the girls dances, so they at least are ok with sports and other people being around. But I'm sure they're all Christians.

Woah. Hey. Stop. Your rant has NOTHING to do with his education, and an associates degree should never be used as part of an insult.

First of all, my comment was not a "rant"! Secondly, the topic is Jessa's tweet that her man graduated from college. I would never insult anyone who has earned an associates degree; I'm very much pro higher education! However, when it comes to the Duggars, we all know how they are not supporters of college educations! And, when it comes to Bin, this degree could be questionable.

Archived