IGNORED

Favorite Foods aka, I can entirely subsist on the following

Maggie Mae

ok unfortunately my husband and I strongly differ on thus: just for fun this is my husbands list:

grilled chicken

bovril on toast

eggy thing(soft boiled egg mixed with bovril on bread pieces)

boerwors

lambchops

roibostea

hot dogs

hamburger(proper ones)

red wine

beer

whiskey

I have to say the only food where our tastes converge is spag bol i get my carbs he gets his meat xD.

(he is English South African by the way,

I know I should just Google but...

What is borvil?

What is boerwors?

What is roibostea?

And what constitutes a proper hamburger?

This is a great thread. I think we should post some of the recipes :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all those who said Thai, try Cambodian too. It's amazing.

I'm with the corn tortillas group.

Chocolate

Ice Cream

Pizza with spinach and pepperoni

Yummy! I love this thread.

Ethiopian food (injera, minchet abish, yemisir wett, siga wett, awaze tibbs, zilzil tibbs, yemisir sambusa, yesega sambusa, I could go on and on)

Mexican food

sushi and sashimi

Pakistani food (especially pakora and biryani)

Vietnamese food

Oh, who am I kidding, most Asian food.

I cook Ethiopian food at home these days. Sadly, the nearest Ethiopian restaurant is too far away. I had to call in advance to the owners to get the true (non-western palate) appropriate spiciness even when I lived closer. Yes, they did know who I was and they warned the servers to give me "honorary Ethiopian" food. :lol:

I do blend my own berbere these days, but the Pensey's stuff really isn't bad. Actually it is more than passable.

I still can't give anyone a foolproof injera recipe (I use teff and that makes the injera look gross to many Western eyes). My current recipe now works approx. 2/3 of the time.

However, I think my doro wat (wett?) is pretty damn good. I also kick ass on veggie dishes. The aletchas do still need work. I need unpasteurized butter from grass fed Ethiopian cows to make them taste exactly "right." :lol:

I cook Ethiopian food at home these days. Sadly, the nearest Ethiopian restaurant is too far away. I had to call in advance to the owners to get the true (non-western palate) appropriate spiciness even when I lived closer. Yes, they did know who I was and they warned the servers to give me "honorary Ethiopian" food. :lol:

I do blend my own berbere these days, but the Pensey's stuff really isn't bad. Actually it is more than passable.

I still can't give anyone a foolproof injera recipe (I use teff and that makes the injera look gross to many Western eyes). My current recipe now works approx. 2/3 of the time.

However, I think my doro wat (wett?) is pretty damn good. I also kick ass on veggie dishes. The aletchas do still need work. I need unpasteurized butter from grass fed Ethiopian cows to make them taste exactly "right." :lol:

I have no idea what any of the food you mentioned is. I do have a habit on fixating on various world cuisines, searching recipes and cooking them weather I have ever eaten it or not. I often don't know how it is supposed to taste when I make it. I think this may be my next kick. I just got over my Peruvian kick. Before that I was all about Korean food. There are no Peruvian or Korean restaurants near me to know any better.

I forgot to mention cherries and I think pluots are like nectar from the gods plums and apricots mixed!

Most foods from Asian cuisines (this includes not only those of East Asia, but also South Asian cuisines (Indian, afghani, Pakistani, etc) and of the middle eat

Spaghetti carbonara.

Actually most things with bacon/pancetta.

Good mac n cheese.

Scones with strawberry jam and butter/clotted cream

Mince pies

Good steak frites.

Steak or fish tacos

Guacamole

Mediterranean yogurt dips/salads/lebneh

Good cheese

Kriek lambic

Good dessert

Cheez-its

Double stuf Oreos

Rugelach

Matcha green tea latte/ice cream

Nomnomnom

I know I should just Google but...

What is borvil?

What is boerwors?

What is roibostea?

And what constitutes a proper hamburger?

This is a great thread. I think we should post some of the recipes :)

bovril is beef extract similar to how vegemite is yeast extract.

boerwors is a coarse round pig and herbs sausage in RSA

roibos tea is tea of the roibos(a bush that grows in southern Africa. rich in vit C without caffeine)

A proper Hamburger is a homemade/restaurant one not the cardboard that is McD.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9oCs1nIcAAvZur.jpg

Authentic Mexican food. Any dish, side, appetizer....yum

Ah, so many good foods I love

Naan bread-my favorite bread to this day after a number of breads from many cuisines, naan is my favorite hands down.

Dosas with curry of any kind really. Especially masala dosa. Uttapams are yum too

Gobi Manchurian-stuff is da bomb

Pasta of any kind really-love pasta

Falafel...unless the restaurant puts it full of cilantro. Hate cilantro. Probably least favorite food to date

Hummus and baba ganoush

Pita bread

On note with others, I like Ethiopian food as well. Their vegetable soup is yum.

Veggie enchiladas, make them homemade

Wontons

Wonton soup

Hot and sour soup

Singapore noodles

Interesting to poster above saying Biriyani is Pakistani. BF is South Indian and that's like the thing there. Pakistani and Indian are a lot alike though. Pakora is good and is more Pakistani in my understanding than Indian. He loves vegetable biriyani. I can't say I love idli or sambaar or rasam. Just okay. I don't mind pani puri though. Daals are nice too. Homemade paratha, chapati, roti are good stuff. I love Indian food if can't tell :D

I love tasting new cuisines and mixed. I'm kinda with other poster on Thai vs other Asian countries food. Probably least favorite as well. Not sure why. Flavors just never caught on as well as others. I don't dislike it, but far from top of Asian or any other cuisines really. Indian is at top probably. Chinese following. Actual Chinese, not knock-off type, but can't say I don't like the knock-off either. I quite like Sarko's noodles. ;)

Oh my heavens. I just sent my daughter off for a week of fancy-schmancy summer school country club camp. They made lunch daily for the kids. I picked up my daughter and her friends one day for an afternoon of fun, and they all complained about their Mac and Cheese at lunch -- because it had been baked. They couldn't handle it. All of them were pining for Kraft.

I mean, I knew my daughter had mac and cheese issues. I've made it and baked it for her from scratch, and she hated the results of the baking. Since she hates my hard work, from scratch mac and cheese, the mac and cheese she does get is usually from trader Joe's packages.

All this to say that I have no idea how my daughter can turn down a cheese and pasta concoction like that, but she can and does. Taste buds are so strange.

That's reminiscent of Eddie Murphy's old bit about hamburgers: a family member would make those thick juicy burgers when he was a kid, and he hated and wanted the thin McD ones.

Don't know how I missed thread, lol!

artichokes

asparagus

spinach

lobster

Peking duck

Ossetra caviar on homemade sourdough toast, w/sweet cream butter, red onion, and fresh lime juice

Triple Creme Brie

very very rare prime rib

ma pa dou fu

belly lox on an egg bagel

quesadillas

cream cheese and olive on rye

roast pork

avocados

white chocolate Easter bunnies

crab

shrimp

NY cheesecake

flan

chili rellenos

Humbolt Fog

brains, tongue, liver, sweetbreads

really good cottage cheese

quiche

white stilton w.apricot

home grown strawberries

pears

hot & sour soup

avgolemono

spanakopita

moussaka

pickled pigs’ feet

raspberry dark chocolate

ramps

morels

shaggymane mushrooms

heirloom tomatoes

grilled cheese sammich—kraft on wonderbread

goubuli baozi

anything Afghani and most Indian curries

spices: garlic, basil, marjoram

favorite recipe: Summer Soup

one peeled cucumber, finely diced

one cup salad shrimp

one cup sour cream

one cup buttermilk

ground salt, ground pepper and

LOTS OF DILL WEED!!!

Of the above, and I could only eat one thing till I die, it would be the Ossetra.

Cheesecake, especially the white chocolate espresso from Milestones' restaurants

Cinnamon buns, the good ones with sticky sugar bottoms and gobs of cream cheese icing

Pumpkin seed chocolate bark

Cheese ravioli w marinara and good bread

...this is why I'm fat ;) carby-sugary goodness

I was in Malaysia for several months, and that became the country cuisine I could live with only eating. Great melding of Indian, Chinese, Malay cultures into food.

Don't know how I missed thread, lol!

artichokes

asparagus

spinach

lobster

Peking duck

Ossetra caviar on homemade sourdough toast, w/sweet cream butter, red onion, and fresh lime juice

Triple Creme Brie

very very rare prime rib

ma pa dou fu

belly lox on an egg bagel

quesadillas

cream cheese and olive on rye

roast pork

avocados

white chocolate Easter bunnies

crab

shrimp

NY cheesecake

flan

chili rellenos

Humbolt Fog

brains, tongue, liver, sweetbreads

really good cottage cheese

quiche

white stilton w.apricot

home grown strawberries

pears

hot & sour soup

avgolemono

spanakopita

moussaka

pickled pigs’ feet

raspberry dark chocolate

ramps

morels

shaggymane mushrooms

heirloom tomatoes

grilled cheese sammich—kraft on wonderbread

goubuli baozi

anything Afghani and most Indian curries

spices: garlic, basil, marjoram

favorite recipe: Summer Soup

one peeled cucumber, finely diced

one cup salad shrimp

one cup sour cream

one cup buttermilk

ground salt, ground pepper and

LOTS OF DILL WEED!!!

Of the above, and I could only eat one thing till I die, it would be the Ossetra.

Soul sister!

My latest obsession is Harvest Snaps Original Green Pea Crisps. I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat potato chips again.

Artichokes

Avocado

Olives

Mushrooms

Stir fries

Most Mexican food

Guac

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Crusty bread

Tomato sandwiches

Shrimp and grits

garlic cheese grits

Spinach

bacon

Rutabagas

Cabbage

Collard greens

turnip greens

mashed potatoes

expensive chocolate,dark is good,milk chocolate is good

cinnamon rolls

Right now?

Big Salads with mixed spring greens

Strawberry rhubarb crisp bars

Apples with peanut butter

Almond milk/coffee/ice whirled together into a frappe-sort of drink thing (totally loving these right now)

Watermelon -- all melon, but particularly watermelon

Kind Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew Bars (omg, these are like a little taste of heaven)

Baked sweet potato wedges with a sprinkle of spicy seasoned salt

Potatoes in any and all formats but especially mashed

Mac and cheese

Mozzarella

BEEF - but especially roast and meatballs

Pizza pizza pizza - thin crust with ham and pineapple.

And bread and butter. Give me bread and butter or give me death.

Archived