IGNORED

Woman writes open letter to man she went on Tinder date with

ShepherdontheRock

Where I live in Texas, it's sort of gotten to a point where many women address one another as ma'am in both casual and business settings, whether they are customer or clients, young or old. I've had older women get really upset with me in the past for addressing them as "ma'am" because they thought I was trying to make them feel old. But nowadays, it just seems when I walk into a store, and someone younger tries to help me, she'll say, "Can I help you, ma'am?" I'll get the help I need, and then at the end will say, "Thank you ma'am, I appreciate it." And nobody thinks anything of it.

I think where I live people don't really think about the use of ma'am denoting one's age, but simply tend to say it reflexively. I sometimes use it in conversations with friends. Friend: Did he really say that to you?! Me: Yes ma'am, you'd better believe it!

One time when I was in college, the word did come back to bite me. There was a young, good-looking guy sitting behind me, and I asked him a question. He answered it and said 'yes ma'am' at the end. The way he said it clearly indicated that he thought he was being respectful to an older woman (he was about 12 years younger than me). I gave him a dirty look and said, "Thanks, son!" The look on his face was priceless. That was the last time he ever did it. :lol:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where I live in Texas, it's sort of gotten to a point where many women address one another as ma'am in both casual and business settings, whether they are customer or clients, young or old. I've had older women get really upset with me in the past for addressing them as "ma'am" because they thought I was trying to make them feel old. But nowadays, it just seems when I walk into a store, and someone younger tries to help me, she'll say, "Can I help you, ma'am?" I'll get the help I need, and then at the end will say, "Thank you ma'am, I appreciate it." And nobody thinks anything of it.

I think where I live people don't really think about the use of ma'am denoting one's age, but simply tend to say it reflexively. I sometimes use it in conversations with friends. Friend: Did he really say that to you?! Me: Yes ma'am, you'd better believe it!

One time when I was in college, the word did come back to bite me. There was a young, good-looking guy sitting behind me, and I asked him a question. He answered it and said 'yes ma'am' at the end. The way he said it clearly indicated that he thought he was being respectful to an older woman (he was about 12 years younger than me). I gave him a dirty look and said, "Thanks, son!" The look on his face was priceless. That was the last time he ever did it. :lol:

I agree that this is the case where I am too. Once it's ingrained in you to a point, it's hard to forget- no matter who you're addressing!

Archived