IGNORED

Stabbing at the Jerusalem pride parade

AuntCloud

I probably didn't word it right :/

My friends get asked pretty often "Why does Israel _______________ ?"--as in, "Pls explain to me why Israel has these policies because you, as a Jew, must know why the government does them." My friends and partner all grew up in the US (usually in the South!) and have never been to the country, but bc of their faith it is assumed they have a say about what goes on in that country. I don't know if it's a phenomenon outside of university, but I hope it's not bc it's kind of annoying

Agh right! Yes I can see that being annoying. Mind you when I visited the U.S. I think some ( I mean a few lol) thought I was the spokesperson and similarly to you asked about certain politics historic events, that is so strange if funny also :lol:

I also mind you get asked similar questions where I live about Ireland they think I should know because....... My parents are Irish!!!

The stabbing is very criminal and horrible.

But a message on society culture of Jerusalem is that this city is special with tradition that general acceptance not in favor of events of private natures, like gay pride or heterosexual pride. Heredi have nothing to do with this, even though they trying to put orthodox religious laws everywhere in Israel. The general residents feel it cultural modesty not religious. Tel Aviv is very different. We have a very big LGBT parade every year. But the city is not special in culture modesty as Jerusalem.

I was not familiar with this chap but two or three articles later it would appear that your opinion that he poses no danger is not universally held by some in the U.S. Government. Interesting.

Netanyahu is a polarising character for sure, it is not just Obama who has a difficult relationship with him, his policies have made him deeply unpopular in Europe and I do think this amongst many other factors is causing the amount of ill-feeling generated toward Israel (used in the general obviously) following last year.

Israel (again general) has relied heavily on the U.S. historically. It is interesting what is happening there and also a bit concerning.

From the articles I've read, the US government could only oppose parole after he served 30 years if there was bad behavior behind bars, or if there was a reasonable chance that he'd commit more crimes. The opposition to granting him a pardon earlier was largely based on anger over the damage done to the intelligence community. As I understand it, he handed over raw data, so US intelligence had to assume that everything he touched was tainted. If you reveal not just "here is the location of target X" but "here is the location of target X, provided by undercover Agent Smith", you compromise that agent. Still, after 30 years in prison, he has no access to intelligence data anymore and you really can't argue that he'll offend again.

Long story short - he's being released because there is no legal justification to keep him in prison past November.

But a message on society culture of Jerusalem is that this city is special with tradition that general acceptance not in favor of events of private natures, like gay pride or heterosexual pride. Heredi have nothing to do with this, even though they trying to put orthodox religious laws everywhere in Israel. The general residents feel it cultural modesty not religious. Tel Aviv is very different. We have a very big LGBT parade every year. But the city is not special in culture modesty as Jerusalem.

Well, you're right that Tel Aviv and Jerusalem may be just an hour apart on the highway, but they are worlds away otherwise.

The Tel Aviv Pride events are HUGE, widely and proudly celebrated with no real protests. Everyone accepts that Tel Aviv is basically a secular city.

Emotions run a lot higher in Jerusalem. Still, I have a limited amount of sympathy for any argument that they are too sensitive and pure for this parade. What about sensitivity toward anyone who is LGBT? This extremist KILLED 16 yr old Shira Banki. You don't get to brag and insist you are so pure if you descend into hatred and violence and murder. IMHO, the only proper reaction is for everyone - secular and religious both - to condemn what happened and join together in solidarity.

Oh my goodness OIL! It's great to see you posting again!

Oh my goodness OIL! It's great to see you posting again!

laughing so much! I been too busy. I live in New York City now since two months, preparing to move to Alaska USA for 2 year work contract. Now I have time to relax for one or 2 month!

laughing so much! I been too busy. I live in New York City now since two months, preparing to move to Alaska USA for 2 year work contract. Now I have time to relax for one or 2 month!

Exciting! Good luck to you and I hope you post more often your posts are always interesting and bring a great perspective!

Welcome back oil! Hope to see more of you around. Holy cow good

Luck in Alaska...you may get in some good fundie sightings out there!

How dare you guys think that Israel is more than one big hive vagina with a single, dull opinion on anything?!

Yes, I'm being sarcastic for anyone who didn't get it. Israel is one very diverse, manifold country with lots of potential and lots of problems- like many countries in this world.

I'm very glad, though, that Israeli politicians condemned the terrible murder of the little palestinian baby. It's a horrible crime. May this little, innocent angel's soul rest in peace. :pray:

Archived