IGNORED

Overspending for no reason

MarblesMom

My coworkers almost dropped their teeth when they found out how much the puppy is going to cost.  But that is what I choose to spend my money on.  Personally, I could never see myself buying expensive wine, cars, electronics, or eating at expensive resteraunts.  But people do, and get enough pleasure from it to make the experience worth it.  So who am I to judge?  I dont' pay their bills, and if they have to go without other things to afford it, then that's their problem.

I find posting the receipt tacky, and am mystified about ice farming, but whatever. 

If people want expensive designer clothes and restaurant meals and can afford them, more power to them. It's not how I would spend my money, but it's not my business. What does get to me are a few friends and relatives who seem to feel that they "must" have the trendiest labels and newest electronics, and then complain that they are broke.

On 6/8/2016 at 9:11 AM, turquoise said:

If people want expensive designer clothes and restaurant meals and can afford them, more power to them. It's not how I would spend my money, but it's not my business. What does get to me are a few friends and relatives who seem to feel that they "must" have the trendiest labels and newest electronics, and then complain that they are broke.

My sister-in-law. She has designer purses, designer clothes, now travels to purchase said clothes because what is available here is not good enough. She is now obsessed with buying $80 a bottle olive oil. She has a pair of $1500 designer sunglasses but wears regular glasses and never actually uses the sunglasses. She is (her own word) "entitled" to always drive a new car and is so upside down in car loans it is completely absurd. She can't teach yoga in anything but LuLuLemon. I could keep going. 

And when we aren't hearing about her latest expensive purchase (new hoodie was a bargain on sale for only $259!!), we are listening to endless monologues about how she has no money and can barely pay her bills. Or monologues about how she has to work too much to make ends meet. She currently works 10 hours one week and 13 hours the next, alternating. 

11 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

My sister-in-law. She has designer purses, designer clothes, now travels to purchase said clothes because what is available here is not good enough. She is now obsessed with buying $80 a bottle olive oil. She has a pair of $1500 designer sunglasses but wears regular glasses and never actually uses the sunglasses. She is (her own word) "entitled" to always drive a new car and is so upside down in car loans it is completely absurd. She can't teach yoga in anything but LuLuLemon. I could keep going. 

And when we aren't hearing about her latest expensive purchase (new hoodie was a bargain on sale for only $259!!), we are listening to endless monologues about how she has no money and can barely pay her bills. Or monologues about how she has to work too much to make ends meet. She currently works 10 hours one week and 13 hours the next, alternating. 

I was watching America's Test Kitchen a few weekends ago and my jaw-dropped when they suggested that people should buy only the expensive bottles of olive oil is they planned to use it only as a salad dressing.  $80 seemed to be on the low end of the scale.    I think my $8 bottle is expensive enough and tastes just fine to me!  

I like my red wine, but I have a personal rule to keep it under $12/bottle.  3 years ago, for my birthday, I set aside $50 for one bottle.  I got help from the store to choose it, and it was better than my usual picks, but I haven't done that since. 

@MatthewDuggar, I can't tell the difference between $8 and $80 olive oil, either.

Archived