IGNORED

Lenexa church opposes young sex crime victims remaining anonymous in civil lawsuit

clueliss

I'm familiar with this church.  Lenexa is on the Kansas side of the Greater Kansas City area.  And this is a mainstream/evangelical church. 

The perpetrator plead guilty to the criminal charges.  In question here is the fact at the two victims - now under 16 and under 14 at the time of the abuse - remain anonymous during civil proceedings against the church. 

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article88327962.html

In the civil case, the two girls, along with their guardian, sued the church last month, saying that Westside knew Lichtenegger — who was 17 at the time of the crimes — had a history of sexual abuse and still allowed him to volunteer at a church Vacation Bible School event. Church officials deny the allegations and have said they had no knowledge of any criminal convictions.

If true - I find the quoted appalling.  I have volunteered in children's ministries.  I have undergone background checks to serve in this manner.  And have been part of at least one ministry where the attempt was made to always have a teacher and helper with kids at all times.  Where teens have been monitored. 

Freethought Today made mention of this in the "Black Collar Crime Blotter" section.

There are some succinct comments regarding the church's approach to this.  It's CYA time at Westside "Family" Church.The church wants the case refiled, with both parties (the girls and presumably the church) remaining anonymous.  

Looks like this is a hip kinda church with a lot of guitar music and casual attire, but stringent doctrinal (the usual) beliefs.  Lot of age segregated activities and church services. 

• 10 months later...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article151986727.html

An updated on this case.

Looks like there was a settlement between Westisde Family Church in Lenexa KS and the family.  

The civil case did not go to trial but instead has been settled through mediation that included a nondisclosure agreement, preventing the church, the family and the attorneys from discussing the terms. The financial amount of the settlement was also not disclosed, but in Kansas the cap on non-economic damages is $250,000.

Archived