IGNORED

All Things My Lady Bibliophile

alba

Have you guys heard of Swallows and Amazons? One of the characters is called "Titty". Yup. It was published in like the 20s/30s when names like "Fanny" were OK. Apparently it was short for Titania. In subsequent modern versions she's been renamed "Kitty". Actually i think it was just one BBC adaptation, but still. Different times, y'all.

• Upvote 3

Have you guys heard of Swallows and Amazons? One of the characters is called "Titty". Yup. It was published in like the 20s/30s when names like "Fanny" were OK. Apparently it was short for Titania. In subsequent modern versions she's been renamed "Kitty". Actually i think it was just one BBC adaptation, but still. Different times, y'all.

When I was a student we read a novel by one Frances Burney. It seems Frances preferred to be known as Fanny, so much so that academics writing about her often refer to her as Fanny Burney. Yup, I got a good few giggles at that in the library.

For our American friends, "fanny" in the UK is a somewhat ruder term in the US referring to the female genitalia. In other words, Fanny Burney doesn't sound so much like a sore bottom as it does a venereal disease.
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@Shoobydoo, that woman at  Red Rest probably gets the vapors at the end of Gone With the Wind when Clark Gable says his most famous line.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a dingleberry! :P 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Shoobydoo, that woman at  Red Rest probably gets the vapors at the end of Gone With the Wind when Clark Gable says his most famous line.

You know, I seem to run into a lot of surprisingly conservative people at Renaissance Festivals. I wonder how they deal with the suggestive pickle merchants.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Well the Emily books are a lot darker than Anne of Green Gables. I'm not shocked that she hasn't reviewed Emily. 

Not to mention Emily's "second sight," which plays a pivotal role in all three of the Emily books; the discovery of Ilse's mother in the first book, the whereabouts of the lost child in the second, and the warning she gives Teddy in the third book. Add to that Emily's relationship with Dean Priest, the relationship between Ilse and Perry and Teddy, and all the other stuff, it's no wonder she dislikes Emily! There is no real way to sanitize the Emily books from the (what she would find) objectionable elements. Personally, as much as I do love Anne, I was a huge Emily fan from the first. Montgomery really took a chance with Emily, and the results are so different from the Anne books.

• Upvote 4

I don't know if I made a typo of if I can blame my mistake on autocorrect or not but I didn't catch that I'd written Red Rest for Res Fest.

• Upvote 2

I can't even wrap my head around an adult feeling the need to censor their reading, or worrying about words being a stumbling block for their faith. Like, if reading a book that contains Different Ideas is enough to demolish someone's religious beliefs, perhaps it's time for them to do some serious soul-searching about what they believe and why it can't hold up against mild exposure to other ways of thinking... :my_confused: 

Also, talk about reading comprehension issues. I can't tell whether it's a willful ignorance of other aspects of these books, or whether it's all just going over the reviewer's head. Or a little of both. 

• Upvote 12

20 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

She must seriously spend a long time censoring books. This quote is four years old, so who knows how many yards she has gone through since?

I have gone through approximately 35 yards of correction tape in my literary quest to blank out foul language, which amounts to 105 feet and 1,260 inches. This distance is about the length of a city block.  Needless to say, dealing with dirty words is an important topic to me, and one that I think is taken entirely too lightly among Christian bibliophiles. 

This bit about the correction tape makes me laugh.  I went to a performance of The Book of Mormon yesterday.  How would she deal with that?  Air horn, I imagine.  And I suppose she'd do this to The Book of Mormon

:angry-extinguishflame:

• Upvote 4

She's whiting out the "language"* so she can pass the books onto her hypothetical kids.  From her series on "how to deal with dirty words":

I Have a Dream
I have a dream that one day I can hand my children my favorite authors unpolluted with profanity. I have a dream that one by one, I shall white out every book in my library, so that they can read them. I have a dream, not to hide evil from them, but to show them how to cast down imaginations and wage war upon evil. I have a dream that someday, somehow, I can see my favorite authors ranged on my shelves without any white-out in them, because they will be published with nothing to hide. I have a dream that this blessing will not extend simply to my children, but to their children after them, and not simply to my family, but to the body of Christ around the world. I have a dream that rank on rank of believers will join together not to increase of their knowledge of evil, but to increase the dominion of good in the literary world. I have a dream that every lover of books will be equipped to take their shelves captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ.

Having no words for the fact she has chosen swearing as the subject of a riff on Martin Luther King Jnr's "I have a dream" speech.  Shows how incredibly narrow her world is, that this is the biggest issue for her.  I can't even get into how THIS is the big issue she wants for her children, and her children's children, but just imagine my rage, dear FJers.

(Can I get really BEC for a moment and say how much I HATE "language" as a word for swear-words, or offensive language?  Using 'language' to mean something only negative is such a bad use of the English language!  It also implies to me someone who'll never even think of learning another language...)

• Upvote 9

So I read the review of the 2011 NIV study Bible. Apparently even a Bible can make this girl question her beliefs! I feel bad for her because I can understand where she's coming from. Before I went to college I was anti choice, anti LGBTQ, etc.. when I went to college (a libreal Methodist school) I ended up questioning everything and most of my opinions and beliefs DID change and are still changing many years later. It's a scary journey, but I have come out of it a more loving person and I believe a better Christian. God wants us to love him woth all our heart , soul, and MIND. He doesn't want blond followers. He wants us to explore Him and His ways.

• Upvote 8

But won't the kids notice the white-out? Or at least that there are words missing? Then they'll ask what they are. She'll say "oh, it's bad language", but kids are persistent little buggers. They will want to know what the words are. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, EmiGirl said:

So I read the review of the 2011 NIV study Bible. Apparently even a Bible can make this girl question her beliefs! I feel bad for her because I can understand where she's coming from. Before I went to college I was anti choice, anti LGBTQ, etc.. when I went to college (a libreal Methodist school) I ended up questioning everything and most of my opinions and beliefs DID change and are still changing many years later. It's a scary journey, but I have come out of it a more loving person and I believe a better Christian. God wants us to love him woth all our heart , soul, and MIND. He doesn't want blond followers. He wants us to explore Him and His ways.

Well, many American fundies won't like that. Who knew god had hair color preferences? :my_biggrin: 

I know that was a typo, but thought was funny. 

• Upvote 8

25 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

But won't the kids notice the white-out? Or at least that there are words missing? Then they'll ask what they are. She'll say "oh, it's bad language", but kids are persistent little buggers. They will want to know what the words are. 

This is what I was wondering.  I've always been much more curious about things I wasn't allowed to know anything about, than things I was explained about.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Lurky said:

She's whiting out the "language"* so she can pass the books onto her hypothetical kids.  From her series on "how to deal with dirty words":

Having no words for the fact she has chosen swearing as the subject of a riff on Martin Luther King Jnr's "I have a dream" speech.  Shows how incredibly narrow her world is, that this is the biggest issue for her.  I can't even get into how THIS is the big issue she wants for her children, and her children's children, but just imagine my rage, dear FJers.

(Can I get really BEC for a moment and say how much I HATE "language" as a word for swear-words, or offensive language?  Using 'language' to mean something only negative is such a bad use of the English language!  It also implies to me someone who'll never even think of learning another language...)

I hate that she said about her favourite authors being place on her shelf with nothing to hide, the authors already have nothing to hide. It's her that has a problem with the swearing or what she deems to be swearing. This has nothing to do with the authors, not everyone subscribes to the same beliefs as her. If I see in a book that someone says "Oh fiddlesticks" when they hit their toe or bang their elbow, I roll my eyes. Yeah maybe some people can do that but for me I swear like a sailor. So books shouldn't be tailored for her, so that they can be unreadable for the rest of us. 

• Upvote 2

Having to use whiteout will prevent her from reading ebooks or using the library. Since so many of the fundies appear to be lower-income due to level of education and number of kids, that process would inhibit many budding readers. 

• Upvote 5

On 11/20/2016 at 7:03 AM, bjr70 said:

When it's been challenged in libraries the biggest beef has been the lack of God. (I'm studying Library Science and did a short analysis of this for a class.) There is no mention of God or prayer in the books at all. It appears to be an entirely secular society.

Then they really would enjoy The Handmaid's Tale, I'm sure.

/irony

1 hour ago, crawfishgirl said:

Having to use whiteout will prevent her from reading ebooks or using the library. Since so many of the fundies appear to be lower-income due to level of education and number of kids, that process would inhibit many budding readers. 

Not just that (the bolded) but because they're trying to live on one income. It might work if the earner is in one of the higher-earning professions, but otherwise it's a struggle. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

it's no wonder she dislikes Emily! There is no real way to sanitize the Emily books from the (what she would find) objectionable elements. Personally, as much as I do love Anne, I was a huge Emily fan from the first. Montgomery really took a chance with Emily, and the results are so different from the Anne books.

MLB quotes scenes from the Emily books a lot, which makes me think that she likes them (or was affected by them) more than she lets on.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

It's like this one English teacher we had in junior high.  She was serving as the librarian for a year or two.  She'd tape pieces of paper over the pictures of naked women in National Geographic.  The Geographics got taken from the shelves a lot and the paper lifted up.  Those junior high boys wanted to see naked ladies!  This teacher  gave me detention a few years later because I put Rosemary's Baby on my reading list.

Fortunately, we had a real school librarian by the time I was in junior high.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Have you guys heard of Swallows and Amazons? One of the characters is called "Titty". Yup. It was published in like the 20s/30s when names like "Fanny" were OK. Apparently it was short for Titania. 

Oh, I used to read those! My sister was kind of obsessed with them. They got her building model ships.

Also, my mom had a friend who once had a school teacher named Fanny O'Rear. Fanny was born around 1900.

• Upvote 2

Eh, I wouldn't put it past her to use white-out in library books. My mum works in a library and she came across a book where someone had crossed out all the "language". She said she was glad that patron hadn't gotten their hands on something like Trainspotting!
  • Upvote 1

There are services like VidAngel that let people filter movies however they want. I wonder if there's a market for something like that with ebooks?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, dairyfreelife said:

Well, many American fundies won't like that. Who knew god had hair color preferences? :my_biggrin: 

I know that was a typo, but thought was funny. 

Dang it. That's what I get for commenting with my phone. It always thinks it knows what I want to say better than I do.

• Upvote 3

@EmiGirl, at least you can blame your mistakes on your phone!  I can only blame mine on bad typing and not proofreading thoroughly.

I'm watching an episode of the Murdoch Mysteries aka The Artful Detective on Ovation.  Dr Grace just apologized to Murdoch for using the word "doozy".  Was doozy was swear word at one time or was it always slang?  

It used to be that the word "pee" was considered somewhat unacceptable, but I don't think that the case anymore.  The same is true for "butt".  Btw, my grandmother always called those spigots on the cow's udder "tits" not teats.  As many cows she milked -by hand!- in her lifetime she was entitled to call them anything she darn well pleased!

I've even seen "fart" used more often nowadays.  It used to be a word you didn't say in polite company, or by anyone over the age of 12. :pb_lol:

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 1

On 11/20/2016 at 3:33 PM, nickelodeon said:

The irony is that one of his female students was the keenly clever and critically-minded Diana Wynne Jones, who has some funny anecdotes about Tolkien's classroom and how he would give deliberately obfuscating lectures to scare off all his students - all except Jones. So, sorry J.R.R., but I'm calling poppycock on your sexism.

This is amazing