IGNORED

Ian and Larissa ~ Where are they now?

Curious

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Curious said:

I am a tremendous person!  Thanks for noticing.  I'm doing what any good forum admin/owner would do.  Make things easier for members to contribute on a topic that is pertinent.

Really interesting that you think the lives of complete strangers is pertinent. To each his/her own, I guess. 

2 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Eta: Not directed at Curious for making this thread. This person is just- ugh.

1451427627551.jpg

And yet you took time to find a meme, then come back and post it?

5 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

Nah. It’s fine.

Just reiterating for you that your views mean nothing. 

Then why are you here telling us how much we suck.   Again, your game sucks and all you are doing is making people think that all is not right in Ian and Larissa Land.

These threads have been around for YEARS and they *just* found us?  I find that pretty hard to believe. 

You are protesting too much.  You are the one that brought them back to the forefront in some supposed way to help them.   You probably have I don't know how many people scouring the web for new info now.

We were not the ones that barged into someone's house and started telling them how wrong they are and that they suck.  People commented on the information that LARISSA provided.  She wrote a book, FFS.   You can't claim a right to privacy when you literally put your life up for sale.

2 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

Yep! I have nothing better to do tonight! 

4 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

Really interesting that you think the lives of complete strangers is pertinent. To each his/her own, I guess. 

Uh, that's what we do here.  Watch the lives of a fairly specific subset of people who put their lives on display in public.  You clearly did not read ANYTHING in our documentation before registering.

There are forums for virtually everything on the internet.  We happen to follow and discuss the damage that extreme religious practices cause to men, women and children.  We've been doing it, rather successfully, since 2005.

You aren't the first person to come barging into our house to call us names and tell us how wrong/stupid we are and you won't be the last.  This isn't our first rodeo.

(Counting down to either "Please delete my account" or "Can you delete these threads) :roll:

3 minutes ago, Curious said:

...all you are doing is making people think that all is not right in Ian and Larissa Land.

That’s a strange conclusion.

They happened to google themselves recently, and found this site. What should their reactions be to people scrutinizing their lives based on very little  information?

3 minutes ago, Curious said:

Uh, that's what we do here.  Watch the lives of a fairly specific subset of people who put their lives on display in public.  You clearly did not read ANYTHING in our documentation before registering.

There are forums for virtually everything on the internet.  We happen to follow and discuss the damage that extreme religious practices cause to men, women and children.  We've been doing it, rather successfully, since 2005.

You aren't the first person to come barging into our house to call us names and tell us how wrong/stupid we are and you won't be the last.  This isn't our first rodeo.

(Counting down to either "Please delete my account" or "Can you delete these threads) :roll:

Nope. I definitely read it. That doesn’t change my reasoning for defending them. 

Also, I haven’t seen many of your threads. Do you put all religions under the microscope?

They happened to google themselves recently, and found this site. What should their reactions be to people scrutinizing their lives based on very little  information?

Nope. I definitely read it. That doesn’t change my reasoning for defending them. 

Also, I haven’t seen many of your threads. Do you put all religions under the microscope?

I don’t I called names, did I? 

6 minutes ago, Curious said:

I don’t think I called anyone names, did I? Nor did I call anyone stupid. 

1 minute ago, Joplin4206 said:

When it was years ago?  Probably something like "well we did put our lives out on a public blog on the WORLD WIDE WEB and I did write a book about our lives, so I guess it makes sense that not everyone in the entire world would agree with us.  Fortunately, they haven't talked about us since the book was published." and then move on with their happy and fulfilling (according to some random person on the internet) lives.

But maybe that's just me.

It's understandable that they would be frustrated by people who have inaccurate perceptions of them. The best thing to do would be to just let it go. Why are you commenting here (assuming you're not actually Ian or Larissa)? If Ian and Larissa have found FJ it's likely they'll see your posts, and I can't imagine they would be happy someone is bringing this all back up.

5 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

I don’t know you and barely remember Ian and Larissa, but, yes, fundamentalists of all types.  You should look around. Everyone has something to learn from FJ. 

Give me a break. Someone who has written an autobiography and whose YouTube videos have 850k views only just googled themselves? Sounds more like some clueless friend or family member tbh.

1 minute ago, Curious said:

When it was years ago?  Probably something like "well we did put our lives out on a public blog on the WORLD WIDE WEB and I did write a book about our lives, so I guess it makes sense that not everyone in the entire world would agree with us.  Fortunately, they haven't talked about us since the book was published." and then move on with their happy and fulfilling (according to some random person on the internet) lives.

But maybe that's just me.

It is just you. I don’t know that the book is necessarily to be agreed with. I think it’s mainly just telling their story. But I guess everyone has their own interpretation and is entitled to it. 

14 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

I don’t think I called anyone names, did I? Nor did I call anyone stupid. 

Joplin4206

Posted 2 hours ago

Agreed. But it’s so hard to let clueless idiots get away with upsetting people you care about, especially when they have no clue what they’re talking about. 

bold mine.   I don't tend to call my friends "clueless idiots" but maybe your terms of endearment are different than mine.

And you're right.  You didn't use the word stupid, so I apologize for putting words in your mouth. Clueless Idiots is WAY better.  mea culpa

1 minute ago, Curious said:

bold mine.   I don't tend to call my friends "clueless idiots" but maybe your terms of endearment are different than mine.

And you're right.  You didn't use the word stupid, so I apologize for putting words in your mouth. Clueless Idiots is WAY better.  mea culpa

Well, I guess if the shoe fits. Jk

Joplin4206 - came to defend friends, stayed for the snark

18 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

We primarily discuss Evangelical and Fundamentalist Christian religions and the damage that they cause to men, women and children.   We do have threads on other religions.  We have an archive for those threads if there are not any current ones (I can't read the whole forum..it's just too busy...so I'm honestly not sure if we have any other specific religion threads active right now.) 

If you have a more specific question, I'll be happy to try and answer it.

18 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

It is just you. I don’t know that the book is necessarily to be agreed with. I think it’s mainly just telling their story. But I guess everyone has their own interpretation and is entitled to it. 

Well, I'd suggest you offer it to them as an option because it's much healthier.  People talk shit about me because I own this forum.   If I happen to come across it (I don't google myself that's what google alerts are for and I find it hard to believe that Larissa doesn't understand this given her media presence, the fact she wrote a book and she had a public blog.) I might bitch to my friends privately.  Sometimes I may post in public about how ex-members who can't quit us need to find a new hobby.  Then I move on.

Life's too short to worry about what some strangers on the internet think of me based on my posts on a forum I happen to own.

I hadn’t heard of these people before all the threads were bumped.

I googled but there’s not much about them online except information about their books. My googling didn’t turn up any FJ threads. I only had links to Christianity today, Desiring God, Huffpost, Oprah and some book sites.

I saw some interview video about this couple a couple of years ago. At least I think it was them. She did most of the talking, I don't remember what she was talking about. (This is just for the sake of complete disclosure: I fully confess that I have a very vague notion of who they are and don't really know anything about their daily life.)

But my general view is that if couples are both mentally competent adults and make an informed decision to  appear in interviews or write books and blogs about their lives then they must have taken it into account that strangers will inevitably happen to see the stuff that they chose to make public,  those strangers will inevitably be ignorant of many other aspects of their lives and will inevitably form opinions on the basis of whatever little snippet they happened to see. Anyone who chooses to put their life on the internet has to be prepared that people are going to have opinions about it and the chances are somebody will say something you won't like. It's only for the brave...

They asked for speculation by parading their story around the on the internet. I remember her making a big to do over at desiring god about how Ian was still her "head" and "spiritual leader of the family" and etc. 

I had more or less forgotten about them. Larissa decided to stop blogging and that was it for me.

It's a bit strange that suddenly a "friend" would come out of the woodworks to start the discussion and the snark again.
I now I do wonder if something went wrong for the little family.
This is like somebody running up to you, grabbing your collar and screaming "THE CAT IS FINE! NOTHING BAD HAPPENED TO THE CAT! YOU HAVE NO REASON TO WORRY AT ALL! DON'T BE STUPID!"
You might want to check on the cat then.

So my guess is that this is no friend at all. Or if it is a friend it is somebody who is really bad at being a friend.

When you put your life including very intimate details out in the public, not every one is going to love you, it's just how it is. It's a risk you take when you decide to be a public figure. As the kids say "haters gonna hate". You can either ignore it, defend it, or step out of the public. In this case they decided to ignore it and step out of the public until @Joplin4206 went back and stirred up years old posts. To say what? Absolutely nothing. I agree, not much of a friend. 

So I recently tried a new basecoat for my nail polish, Orly Bonder. My polish now lasts up to a week, where previously I got maybe three days. (I have short nails and am hard on them). I have had one case of some staining, with a super dark blue (china Glaze's New Year, New Boo, which is my new favorite color), but it's pretty minor on one nail, so who cares? I've also seen reviews that excess use can cause damage to nails, but I tend to take a break between applications, to avoid overly drying my nails and skin with acetone. 

12 minutes ago, Terrie said:

So I recently tried a new basecoat for my nail polish, Orly Bonder. My polish now lasts up to a week, where previously I got maybe three days. (I have short nails and am hard on them). I have had one case of some staining, with a super dark blue (china Glaze's New Year, New Boo, which is my new favorite color), but it's pretty minor on one nail, so who cares? I've also seen reviews that excess use can cause damage to nails, but I tend to take a break between applications, to avoid overly drying my nails and skin with acetone. 

I don't paint my nails, but I looked up the New Year, New Boo color, and I really like it! I think I'll do my toes in it.

Also, what should I make for dinner tonight? I made vegetarian baked ziti for my husbeast and kid on Monday, and ropa vieja for dinner last night, but I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment for new stuff to cook.

5 minutes ago, Sobeknofret said:

I don't paint my nails, but I looked up the New Year, New Boo color, and I really like it! I think I'll do my toes in it.

Also, what should I make for dinner tonight? I made vegetarian baked ziti for my husbeast and kid on Monday, and ropa vieja for dinner last night, but I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment for new stuff to cook.

Isn't it his turn to cook something for you?

Just now, AmazonGrace said:

Isn't it his turn to cook something for you?

You would think, but no. I cook our meals because botulism doesn't look good on me :my_biggrin:  Self-defense, really. He does the clean-up, so it all works out. 

2 minutes ago, Sobeknofret said:

He does the clean-up, so it all works out. 

Rule in my house growing up: whoever cooks doesn't have to clean up. I much, much prefer cooking.

Archived