IGNORED

American Horror Story

darareaksmey

How'd you guys feel about the first episode?

It didn't blow my socks off, but I am intrigued enough to keep watching. I'm particularly interested in getting to know the younger witches better ( I really hope their characters get expanded A LOT more), and I'm really looking forward to watching Kathy Bates play crazy and murderous cause she's great at it.

I found the rape scene to be very intense/triggering. I really didn't see that coming (until the guy got the pills) and I'm interested in seeing the larger repercussions.

I'm also a little disappointed they're using the "Intellectually Disabled Person Who Knows More Than She Should" trope again.

Does anyone know what Zoe's 'gift' is? I didn't catch it if they named it and I don't really know what to call causing death via sex

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How'd you guys feel about the first episode?

It didn't blow my socks off, but I am intrigued enough to keep watching. I'm particularly interested in getting to know the younger witches better ( I really hope their characters get expanded A LOT more), and I'm really looking forward to watching Kathy Bates play crazy and murderous cause she's great at it.

I found the rape scene to be very intense/triggering. I really didn't see that coming (until the guy got the pills) and I'm interested in seeing the larger repercussions.

I'm also a little disappointed they're using the "Intellectually Disabled Person Who Knows More Than She Should" trope again.

Does anyone know what Zoe's 'gift' is? I didn't catch it if they named it and I don't really know what to call causing death via sex

I thought the episode was ok. The premieres for seasons 1 and 2 were better. I think some of the upcoming episodes will be much better because the characters will be fleshed out more.

About Zoe

I think her gift hasn't been completely revealed. I think she is kind of sucubus type character who drains people she has sex with, but she doesn't know how to stop it before it kills them.

I wasn't blown away either, but I liked the first 2 seasons a lot so I trust the show will pick up steam as it goes along.

I agree I'm kind of over some of the tropes. Jessica Lange essentially plays the same character just in a slightly different context. I think she's GOOD playing that type of character, but I'm kind of wish she would do something different. I like that they feature characters with intellectual disabilities but again, they seem to cast them as the same character, different setting.

I love that Kathy Bates is in this season, and with Jessica Lange they make a formidable pair!

But in all, this season already has a slightly different tone than the first two, so I look forward to the next episode. I think it's a tall order to outdo Asylum (which IMHO was nothing short of excellent) and I don't really expect it to reach those heights.

Angela Bassett is gorgeous.

The Kathy Bates scenes were very difficult to sit through.

There's something weird about the editing style and/or film stock in the modern day parts. I'm trying to figure out how to describe it. They seem to be imitating something, but I can't place it. It seemed to be strangely framed close-ups, and oddly timed edits. Did anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

Angela Bassett is gorgeous.

The Kathy Bates scenes were very difficult to sit through.

There's something weird about the editing style and/or film stock in the modern day parts. I'm trying to figure out how to describe it. They seem to be imitating something, but I can't place it. It seemed to be strangely framed close-ups, and oddly timed edits. Did anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

I also found the Kathy Bates scenes a bit disturbing since her character is based on a real person. I agree with you on the editing of the modern day part. I thought the frat party scenes looked weird.

I'm liking season 3 more than I liked season 2. Season 2 was a let down for me when compared to the first season.

Kathy Bates alone is worth tuning in each week. I find her character to be the most frightening.

Kathy Bateses Attic of Horrors aside (I can't look when they go up there) I'm liking this season's tone! I like the lighter tone, more like Murder House than Asylum, which had lots of nutbaggery but not a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I am LOVING IT.

And the funny thing is that I hang out with some vodouisants and rootworkers and they love it, too. The show is so clearly creepy fiction and over the top weird awesomeness that even people who'd normally be HUGELY critical of white showrunners using African and African-American religion and folk magic for entertainment are digging it. Nitpicking, yes, but also doing the "OMG ANGELA BASSETT HOLY SHIT" stuff, too.

GOD I'm such a baby. I turned it off after the first five minutes and what I did see haunted me for days. I just couldn't handle that display of brutality. FUCK do I miss out on a lot of great entertainment because of this tendency.

I miss Season 1, when it was a total mindfuck and incredibly creepy but not really gory at all.

GOD I'm such a baby. I turned it off after the first five minutes and what I did see haunted me for days. I just couldn't handle that display of brutality. FUCK do I miss out on a lot of great entertainment because of this tendency.

I miss Season 1, when it was a total mindfuck and incredibly creepy but not really gory at all.

Are you talking about the first episode of season 3? If you are, I agree that scene was pretty brutal.

You are NOT a baby. People's brains and emotions and nervous systems are all different; you may not flinch at things that would have me sick as a dog.

This is the first series of the three I've tried to watch. I think I need to pay more attention, because I usually watch while I do something else and I think I my have missed some things. I have a question I'm posting under a spoiler tag, but anyone who has watched all the episodes and might know the answer, please clue me in.

The guy who was in the hotel with the vending machine soup woman is Cordelia's husband/partner right? Do we have an explanation as to why he did what he did to VSM woman? Did I miss it, or do you think this is something that will develop as the story progresses?

Thanks!

Are you talking about the first episode of season 3? If you are, I agree that scene was pretty brutal.

Yup, that's the one.

This is the first series of the three I've tried to watch. I think I need to pay more attention, because I usually watch while I do something else and I think I my have missed some things. I have a question I'm posting under a spoiler tag, but anyone who has watched all the episodes and might know the answer, please clue me in.

The guy who was in the hotel with the vending machine soup woman is Cordelia's husband/partner right? Do we have an explanation as to why he did what he did to VSM woman? Did I miss it, or do you think this is something that will develop as the story progresses?

Thanks!

Answers:

Yes, that was Hank, Cordelia's man. We do not have an explanation for his actions. Maybe the fertility ritual she tried with him let something evil into him?

Answers:

Yes, that was Hank, Cordelia's man. We do not have an explanation for his actions. Maybe the fertility ritual she tried with him let something evil into him?

I'm thinking the same thing about the ritual making him evil.

I'm thinking the same thing about the ritual making him evil.

The one thing that makes me think that maybe isn't what's going on is that I don't think it's been very long since the ritual. I don't know if he would have had enough time to start trolling Thomas Kinkaid appreciation sites, choose a victim, woo her, and get her to agree to meet him at a hotel.

The one thing that makes me think that maybe isn't what's going on is that I don't think it's been very long since the ritual. I don't know if he would have had enough time to start trolling Thomas Kinkaid appreciation sites, choose a victim, woo her, and get her to agree to meet him at a hotel.

I think maybe he was planning previously to have an affair with the woman from the Kinkaid site, but the ritual made him evil and he killed her.

I think maybe he was planning previously to have an affair with the woman from the Kinkaid site, but the ritual made him evil and he killed her.

That could be.

Thanks for your answers; they really made me think. I was wondering if he was some kind of mole placed by Angela Bassett's character. I dvr-ed tonights episode, so maybe I can watch it more attentively than the others.

Holy chainsaw Batman!

I could have used less of the flickery lights in the hospital. That got old quickly.

I can't decide if Myrtle really was the one who attacked Cordelia, or if it was a total frame. Did Fiona really see her in the elevator?

So is Zoe the new Supreme? Her new power is just a different manifestation of her ability to kill, so maybe not.

I think Zoe being the new supreme is way too obvious. I hope it's Nan. :)

The horrible hospital with seemingly no staff (the baby just in there with the grieving mother? No nurse or counselor? No husband, mother...no one?) seemed off. The scene itself was beautiful, but I am wondering if Fiona, in her drugged out brain, imagined it?

Here's hoping one of the girls can heal Cordelia. And if Myrtle didn't do it, why did she go along with being burned at the stake?

I love Nan. Jamie Brewer is an amazing actress, and I'd love if they gave her a central role in this season's developments.

Archived