IGNORED

jinder's Dresses 2: Duggar Wedding Gowns

Coconut Flan

22 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

Is she marrying Jesus? Because that whole look screams "nun".

Olivia Culpo was Miss Rhode Island USA and went on to become Miss USA and Miss Universe in 2012. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 7/6/2024 at 12:21 AM, Kiki03910 said:

Is she marrying Jesus? Because that whole look screams "nun".

Her reception dress says no. In an interview, she said that she wanted her wedding dress to be serious and not sexy. I think she wanted the attention on the actual wedding ceremony, not on her appearance. She seemed to love it which is all that really matters. Maybe she even anticipated that the plainness of her dress would attract a lot of post-wedding publicity.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.e4069b25ede9e6e52830a86ee6e32350.jpeg

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Her reception dress says no. In an interview, she said that she wanted her wedding dress to be serious and not sexy. I think she wanted the attention on the actual wedding ceremony, not on her appearance. She seemed to love it which is all that really matters. Maybe she even anticipated that the plainness of her dress would attract a lot of post-wedding publicity.

Hide contents

image.thumb.jpeg.e4069b25ede9e6e52830a86ee6e32350.jpeg

Ahh, I see. Just your bog standard attention whore [has anyone come up with a better phrase than that? I hate to use the word "whore"]. Extra points for the super dark leg bronzer and apparent trendy buccal fat removal. Oddly, I'd actually like the dress in a fun sort of way if the skirt weren't transparent, because those shorts look ... diaperish.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

On 7/4/2024 at 1:05 PM, JDuggs said:

There hasn’t been a Duggar wedding in two years! But I need to hear the opinions on Olivia Culpo’s wedding dress. I don’t even know who she is, I’m assuming actress, who married a football player. She didn’t want a sexy wedding dress. Well, I think she nailed that part. I just find it horribly plain. Like designer Amish.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.jpeg.4276f119bfcd62566b9e8a0e4a13418a.jpeg

I really like it. It’s not what I’d go for, but I think that extremely plain look can be very beautiful , especially with a gorgeous veil. I got the same vibe from Duchess Meghan’s. Especially if the bride has dark hair and eyes, so she doesn’t just kind of fade into the plain white fabric - if that makes sense. 

• Upvote 6

I like the neckline on Meghan’s so much more and how the bottom of the dress fit closer to her body compared to Olivia’s ball gown skirt. The top of Olivia’s reminds me of an athletic cut t-shirt. Katie Bates also had a classic, simple dress that was more of a ball gown, but it was sleeveless with a better neckline. Out of those three dresses, Olivia’s comes in third for me.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

If the speculation proves true and Jana is engaged, I wonder what kind of dress she'll pick. I can see her in something more subdued like the ones up above.

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EmiSue said:

If the speculation proves true and Jana is engaged, I wonder what kind of dress she'll pick. I can see her in something more subdued like the ones up above.

I could definitely see Jana going with something a bit simple and easy to wear. 

445E65B2-7581-45C9-9066-B6803BD1D119.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Olivia Culpo's veil was stunning though. I also liked the dress she wore to the welcome dinner they had more than then actual wedding gown. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I think in Olivia’s case the overall look doesn’t actually give a traditional feeling. Choosing a conservative/serious/modest dress for the wedding is not uncommon. Especially if you do a religious ceremony. Having more than one dress is anything but. The dress isn’t even plain per se. It has a very clear and striking cut (almost military hard if you get what I mean), a big skirt and is made to draw attention. It looked way better in the photos where there is some movements or good posing. I actually find that her hair and make up in addition with the dress made her look very edgy and modern. I mean, wearing frumpy or very modest cuts is incredibly on trend (the high t-Shirt neckline, wide pants, wider tops, long sleeves…). The „hard“ look is just very off from what most people think beautiful for a bride. And it’s just from some pictures. As I said in others it looks more flowy and traditional feminine. If she would have posted these first nobody would have batted an eye. 

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 4

On 7/9/2024 at 11:07 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I could definitely see Jana going with something a bit simple and easy to wear. 

445E65B2-7581-45C9-9066-B6803BD1D119.jpeg

If Jana is engaged it’ll be interesting to see what she picks post Josh Scandal/ Jim Bob losing control and post strict modesty standards. 

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Jana’s dress was gorgeous. And absolutely not fitting any former modesty standards! I think it’s my second favorite after Jessa’s. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

Jana’s dress was gorgeous. And absolutely not fitting any former modesty standards! I think it’s my second favorite after Jessa’s. 

Loved Jessa’s but Jana wins hands down. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

3 hours ago, VGL said:

Good catch! Maybe 

I liked her dress, and Jessa's, as well as Jingers veil & some aspects of her dress (need to look it up again; the sleeves definitely... not a fan of strapless... for me, btdt no lol )

• Upvote 4

My favourite dress: Jana 

Second: Lauren

Third: Jessa

Edited by Melissa1977
Didn't remember Lauren's name!
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

My favourite dress: Jana 

Second: Lauren

Third: Jessa

I am with you I also like The Wissman SIL Hannah's (???) I thought her dress was also pretty and the modesty conversion of filling in the bodice worked well. I thought it was very Elsa ish 

I did love Jessa's. I just didnt like that (IMO) it needed to be "cinched" tailored a bit more and I believe the alterations were purposely left to big to be more modest.

I noticed Jill's dress looked way better on the show when she was fitting it, because obviously the sales people know how to properly fit and taper in a dress for optimum looks.

On the wedding shopping episode, Jill's dress looked quite lovely, on the wedding day it lost shape and did not look properly tailored to her and I think made her look more frumpy than what was a pretty dress should have made her look. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, VGL said:

My daughter wore a similar dress when she got married a year ago. When the final alterations were done we picked up her gown and the skirt had wider visible seams where the skirt was taken in. We spoke to their alterations department at David's Bridal and were told it was company policy to leave the excess in place in case it needed to be let out last minute.  The day before the wedding I had to trim and finish those seams myself (I was terrified I'd ruin it!) because them being visible was driving her crazy.  When I read about Jana's dress being altered last minute I thought it might have been for something similar. 

I'm wondering if this is Jana's dress and the day before alterations were to modify the neckline.

https://www.davidsbridal.com/product/off-the-shoulder-satin-ball-gown-wedding-dress-wg3979?defining_size_family=126&defining_extra_length=1&defining_color=165

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, abcxs said:

If so this it was well done and not a franken modesty stein dress  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, VGL said:

I'm wondering if this is Jana's dress and the day before alterations were to modify the neckline.

InShot_20240818_1840407292.thumb.jpg.48e31e73c9212e44449266726679759d.jpg

Looks like you're right.

I actually prefer it with the modifications.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 18

21 hours ago, indianabones said:

InShot_20240818_1840407292.thumb.jpg.48e31e73c9212e44449266726679759d.jpg

Looks like you're right.

I actually prefer it with the modifications.

One key to this being a successful alteration, if that was indeed the original dress, it that it matches. The collar piece doesn't look like a random piece of lace or other mismatched fabric bit just stuck on there to "make it modest". It look like it belongs with the dress in color, fabric, and style. I wonder if the dress was originally too long for Jana and thus it was possible to trim some of the bottom fabric off to use to make the new neckline piece.

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

I think Jana's might be my 3rd favourite. Jinger is still my winner for that stunning double-layered lace train (and making three people carry it) 

Jana's dress actually kind of remind's me of Amy's - and like Amy I wish she styled it better and had a more ornate or at least better hemmed veil. Still very nice overall and lines up with her style. 

Seeing the progression of dresses, husbands and opportunities as the years have gone back really makes me feel bad for Anna. That girl got the short end of the stick in every aspect of life. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

On 8/19/2024 at 6:11 PM, metheglyn said:

One key to this being a successful alteration, if that was indeed the original dress, it that it matches. The collar piece doesn't look like a random piece of lace or other mismatched fabric bit just stuck on there to "make it modest". It look like it belongs with the dress in color, fabric, and style. I wonder if the dress was originally too long for Jana and thus it was possible to trim some of the bottom fabric off to use to make the new neckline piece.

I loved the simplicity - but also felt like that seam in the middle of the shoulder piece part - where it dips in the front? Makes me a little nuts. Like I would have liked it not to have a seam in the dead center of the point. And I would have liked a TINY little bit of sparkle. Like a small buckle on the waist - a bit of sparkly lace or something? Just something small. 

That said - it wasn't a franken-modest gown and I did love that for her. She won't look back on the dress and cringe.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 7/7/2024 at 11:40 AM, Kiki03910 said:

Just your bog standard attention whore [has anyone come up with a better phrase than that? I hate to use the word "whore"]. 

Attention seeker works just as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/18/2024 at 1:33 PM, VGL said:

Jana just dropped a video of venue and wedding dress shopping and it looks like this dress guess was absolutely spot on. And right in that video was the decision to change the neckline. Though that does make the timing of the alterations being the day before the wedding that much more more confusing.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2