IGNORED

Kamala Harris: Madam Vice President

Destiny

53 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

CNN is reporting that the Veepstakes has been narrowed down to Walz and Shapiro.

I really wish Kelly was still in the running. I just feel like he'd be the one to worry Trump the most. There would be so little--if anything!--to attack him with.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurkerOG said:

I saw earlier. I still like Kelly, but anybody (who doesn't pull a Jvd implosion!) is good! Great how that's turning out for them 👏🙌 🛋️🧸🍊

Hmm ... There's office opening events in PA Thu and Fri 🤔 but none in MN... curious.. other places, too but a handful in PA (Source: campaign site - events)

• Upvote 2

I'm actually very happy about the choice. Originally, I wasn't too sure how I felt about Walz, probably because he never came across my radar, and I had no idea who he was really. Over the past weeks though, I've become fairly impressed!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

11 hours ago, LongTimeLurkerOG said:

Hmm ... There's office opening events in PA Thu and Fri 🤔 but none in MN... curious.. other places, too but a handful in PA (Source: campaign site - events)

I saw a lot of MN events this morning 

and just checked the news

Ok, let's go! 💙

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

image.thumb.png.3c5092f923dd8ac4876952ef94cb49b0.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 13
  • Love 1

Hoping Walz will help get Harris elected, and will be a good Vice President - he certainly seems like a great choice.

That's what the purposeful part of my thinking is. My Everything's a Song Cue Syndrome, however, went right to Rodgers and Sondheim, and is repeatedly singing at me:

Will I vote for Walz?
Yes, I will, I will vote for Walz!

Yes, I know it's not pronounced like "waltz." And no, I'm not going to write a parody - well, not yet. If they succeed, that "dancing in the street" line will be handy! 😁 :dance:

Spoiler

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurkerOG said:

I saw a lot of MN events this morning 

and just checked the news

Ok, let's go! 💙

Being a Minnesota resident (for now) I was happy to hear it's going to be Walz.  He's been a good governor for all of Minnesota and I voted for him in 2022 because of the good job he's done.  Plus if Harris and Walz win election, Walz will leave the Governor's office and be replaced by Lt. Gov Flanagan.  Then she'd have the incumbent advantage if she goes for a full term in 2026.  

• Upvote 13

I pretty much only know Walz from this:

dpguuip0xeoa1.thumb.png.9680244f7b1c3e5f04795830dfece6a7.png

He signed a law guaranteeing free meals to all school children around the same time Sarah Huckabee Sanders rolled back child labor laws. The photo comparison was quite something.

So he seems pretty cool.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 3

Another cool thing is if Walz resigns now to campaign or when he wins election to VP future Governor Flanagan will be the first Native American woman to serve as Governor.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz’s role as Kamala Harris’ running mate has the potential to create another barrier-breaking moment: If the Democratic presidential ticket wins the election and is inaugurated in January — or if Walz steps down to campaign — Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan will take  his place, becoming the country’s first Native American woman to serve as a state governor. 

Flanagan, who is a citizen of the White Earth Band of Ojibwe, is already the highest-ranking Indigenous woman serving in a statewide elected office and the first to lead the Democratic Lieutenant Governors Association. 

During her tenure, Flanagan, who was previously executive director of the Children’s Defense Fund Minnesota, worked to pass legislation on child tax credits and free breakfast and lunch programs for public school students, and to establish the country’s first Missing and Murdered Indigenous Relatives Office to support families in their search for missing loved ones.

And she would be a much better Governor than the covid sisters Kim and Kristi.

Edited by 47of74
put the link in
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

image.png.c6bbb384e411958e6181c9a2ff0a5590.png

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

I love the part where President Obama said Waltz’ signature ability is to speak like a human being and treat others with respect and dignity. 

You don’t suppose that was a shot at anybody in particular, do you? 🤔

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

He signed a law guaranteeing free meals to all school children around the same time Sarah Huckabee Sanders rolled back child labor laws. The photo comparison was quite something.

So he seems pretty cool.

This means so much to me. Throughout my career I've seen too many students whose families earned just a little over the threshold to receive help with for your reduced lunches and I know those families really struggle. I've seen too many families who have a medical bill or a car repair bill that makes it very difficult for them to be able to pay for school lunches or even send really good packed lunches. Having universal school lunches takes away the stigma of students being on free or reduced lunches. Trust me- students know about their peers.

In getting to know about Walz, there are some things I really like about him just from a personal standpoint. I like that he served in the National Guard. I like that he was a teacher and a coach. I like that when he was in Congress he was a moderate who was willing to work across the aisle to get things done. I think he's done a great job as the governor of Minnesota and I'm even more excited about the ticket!

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 12

3 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I'm actually very happy about the choice. Originally, I wasn't too sure how I felt about Walz, probably because he never came across my radar, and I had no idea who he was really. Over the past weeks though, I've become fairly impressed!

Do you have a brief rundownon him? I only heard his name recently and know nothing about him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

So he seems pretty cool.

That is a striking difference, there. The kids on the left are all like "heck yeah LUNCH for EVERYBODY!" and the ones on the right look like "Oh crap. Will I have to go work in a factory? What's a resume?" while the adults look like "heck yeah another paycheck coming in!"

I'm sure there's context I'm missing, but damn.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

That is a striking difference, there. The kids on the left are all like "heck yeah LUNCH for EVERYBODY!" and the ones on the right look like "Oh crap. Will I have to go work in a factory? What's a resume?" while the adults look like "heck yeah another paycheck coming in!"

I'm sure there's context I'm missing, but damn.

Basically I think the kids at the Walz signing wanted to be there for him to sign the free lunch bill.  On the other hand the kids in the other photo were pretty much forced to be there by their parents, who were in the back with stupid little psychotic grins on their faces.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

Just now, 47of74 said:

Basically I think the kids at the Walz signing wanted to be there for him to sign the free lunch bill.  On the other hand the kids in the other photo were pretty much forced to be there by their parents, who were in the back with stupid little psychotic grins on their faces.

I'll add a conspiracy theory also. I think the kids on the left are just average normal everyday school kids and the kids on the right look like they are homeschooled and dragged around to wherever their parents think they need to be indoctrinated into politics.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

6 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Do you have a brief rundownon him? I only heard his name recently and know nothing about him.

On a purely superficial level, he’s extremely personable, a great speaker, he’s great at engaging with a diverse group of people. He’s a veteran, a farmer, gun owner (and apparently excellent shot), yet he’s very progressive politically, a much loved teacher and football coach.  To quote the eminently quotable West Wing (😂) - he’s good for all time zones

On a policy level, he increased his state’s education budget, instituted free breakfasts and lunches, expanded access to student mental health resources. He signed a law codifying abortion rights and other reproductive and gender affirming health care in Minnesota. He firmed up gun laws and legalized pot (no, they’re not related - I was just trying to avoid small sentences 😆). He also shored up protections for workers and restored voting rights to former felons (this one is going to be a whole lot of fun if Trump and crew try to hammer him with it). 

Anyway, that’s my very small nutshell, and I’m hoping it’s somewhat coherent. I probably should’ve responded before the wine, but we had some leftover in the fridge,  I’m the only one in my house who drinks it, and we needed the fridge space. 🤷‍♀️😆

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 8

We texted a friend we have in Minnesota to ask her her opinion of Walz. She gave him a ringing endorsement and said he is very popular in MN. I've read in other places that he will be a real boon for Dems as they conduct rallies in the Midwest.

How can you go wrong with a former teacher, winning coach, and a National Guardsman with a sense of humor? I think he seems like a great choice after listening to him speak. He's full of energy. I also liked that his wife Gwen had a normal appearance - no over the top hair styling or makeup. And she was wearing what I consider teacher clothes (slightly wrinkled dress and a cardigan). So excited to vote for the first time since Obama. Go Harris/Walz!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

59 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

On a purely superficial level, he’s extremely personable, a great speaker, he’s great at engaging with a diverse group of people. He’s a veteran, a farmer, gun owner (and apparently excellent shot), yet he’s very progressive politically, a much loved teacher and football coach.  To quote the eminently quotable West Wing (😂) - he’s good for all time zones

On a policy level, he increased his state’s education budget, instituted free breakfasts and lunches, expanded access to student mental health resources. He signed a law codifying abortion rights and other reproductive and gender affirming health care in Minnesota. He firmed up gun laws and legalized pot (no, they’re not related - I was just trying to avoid small sentences 😆). He also shored up protections for workers and restored voting rights to former felons (this one is going to be a whole lot of fun if Trump and crew try to hammer him with it). 

Anyway, that’s my very small nutshell, and I’m hoping it’s somewhat coherent. I probably should’ve responded before the wine, but we had some leftover in the fridge,  I’m the only one in my house who drinks it, and we needed the fridge space. 🤷‍♀️😆

Oh wow! This makes me excited to have him!

• Upvote 1

Conservative family members and acquaintances of mine are losing their minds on social media over this guy. Anyone else?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

IMG_7253.thumb.jpeg.8fcd540d6f9f8ab1690c92459c4e89f7.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

We texted a friend we have in Minnesota to ask her her opinion of Walz. She gave him a ringing endorsement and said he is very popular in MN. I've read in other places that he will be a real boon for Dems as they conduct rallies in the Midwest.

How can you go wrong with a former teacher, winning coach, and a National Guardsman with a sense of humor? I think he seems like a great choice after listening to him speak. He's full of energy. I also liked that his wife Gwen had a normal appearance - no over the top hair styling or makeup. And she was wearing what I consider teacher clothes (slightly wrinkled dress and a cardigan). So excited to vote for the first time since Obama. Go Harris/Walz!

I'm also a Minnesota resident for at least a little bit longer and in the time I lived there and seeing all the work he's done and his ability to bounce back from the lows of life (such as his 1995 DWI arrest)  he has my total endorsement as well. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

IMG_7253.thumb.jpeg.8fcd540d6f9f8ab1690c92459c4e89f7.jpeg

This makes me want a Rochester NY native in the white house so the chef would have learn about the garbage plate.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2