IGNORED

Keep sweet: pray and obey

Just starting a thread because the Netflix Dic “Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey” came out today. I haven’t watched it yet but I’ll report back when I do. 

• Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Just starting a thread because the Netflix Dic “Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey” came out today. I haven’t watched it yet but I’ll report back when I do. 

I plan on watching it this weekend. 

• Upvote 5

The one thing that ALWAYS gets to me when I watch stuff on Warren Jeffs is that how many people were completely 100% fine with the extreme control and fucked up things his father (Rulon) did for many years running the cult. But then when Warren came into power and was even harsher and stricter, they suddenly were all upset about it. Of course many did nothing. But suddenly they were upset on the inside about all these rules. When they had been living by many rules under Rulon that were beyond fucked up and controlling. My brain is like, “you were forced to wear dresses past the knee for your whole life and now it’s a step too far because he said no red and not patterns.” It just goes to show how conditioned these people are to accept this kind of control like it’s no problem. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The one thing that ALWAYS gets to me when I watch stuff on Warren Jeffs is that how many people were completely 100% fine with the extreme control and fucked up things his father (Rulon) did for many years running the cult. But then when Warren came into power and was even harsher and stricter, they suddenly were all upset about it. Of course many did nothing. But suddenly they were upset on the inside about all these rules. When they had been living by many rules under Rulon that were beyond fucked up and controlling. My brain is like, “you were forced to wear dresses past the knee for your whole life and now it’s a step too far because he said no red and not patterns.” It just goes to show how conditioned these people are to accept this kind of control like it’s no problem. 

Well Warren did start taking wives away from many of these men, I bet that was something that got them angry. I am going by what I have read. 

• Upvote 13

9 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Well Warren did start taking wives away from many of these men, I bet that was something that got them angry. I am going by what I have read. 

Oh yes definitely. Some of his rules were insane. Breaking up families and everything. But it always amazed me that they were happy to force their 18 year old daughter to marry an 85 year old man (Rulon Jeff’s) but they got upset when their 14 year old had to marry a 35 year old. Both are horrible. Yes, one is technically against the law while one isn’t. But both are forcing a very young daughter to marry a much older man. There were so many problems long before Warren Jeffs took control. But no one seemed to bat an eye. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh yes definitely. Some of his rules were insane. Breaking up families and everything. But it always amazed me that they were happy to force their 18 year old daughter to marry an 85 year old man (Rulon Jeff’s) but they got upset when their 14 year old had to marry a 35 year old. Both are horrible. Yes, one is technically against the law while one isn’t. But both are forcing a very young daughter to marry a much older man. There were so many problems long before Warren Jeffs took control. But no one seemed to bat an eye. 

I remember one book I read from someone who had left/escaped, she seemed to really respect Rulon but not Warren. If I remember correctly she said you could always go talk to him and  he would be fair. You might not always agree with him, but it was okay. There was some form of "joy" in their lives. With Warren, no.  Warren was always creepy. No one could talk to him. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I remember one book I read from someone who had left/escaped, she seemed to really respect Rulon but not Warren. If I remember correctly she said you could always go talk to him and  he would be fair. You might not always agree with him, but it was okay. There was some form of "joy" in their lives. With Warren, no.  Warren was always creepy. No one could talk to him. 

Definitely. Warren got rid of anything fun. He’s like Steve Maxwell in that way. And look how that turned out for Steve! His kids are all having lots of fun without him 😉

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 3

I binged this yesterday when I saw it on my way to true crime.  

I'd just like to give everyone a general trigger warning for the whole thing (they don't shy away from discussing things) but a particular warning for Part 4. If CSAM is something you would like to avoid, be very ready to fast forward when it gets to the part below the spoiler cut.

Spoiler

When they get to the audio tapes. They play a portion of the audio of Warren Jeffs raping an underage girl around 12 years old. 

Edited by lexiloumarie
  • Upvote 2
  • Disgust 4
  • Thank You 7

23 minutes ago, lexiloumarie said:

I binged this yesterday when I saw it on my way to true crime.  

I'd just like to give everyone a general trigger warning for the whole thing (they don't shy away from discussing things) but a particular warning for Part 4. If CSAM is something you would like to avoid, be very ready to fast forward when it gets to the part below the spoiler cut.

Reveal hidden contents

When they get to the audio tapes. They play a portion of the audio of Warren Jeffs raping an underage girl around 12 years old. 

Thank you for the warning. 

• Upvote 7

As much as I hate many of the politicians and law enforcement officers in Texas, I will never forget that at least they managed to arrange for Warren Jeffs' life sentence plus twenty years. 

• Upvote 15
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

I don’t think they focus a ton on this, but a lot of people who got out of the cult, have moved back to short creek. This is a great move in my opinion. It’s the best way to help get anyone out that wants out. If the town is a mix of those still in and those who have left, those wanting to leave don’t have to go far To escape. They can just go to the center in town set up for those who are leaving. They see those people out and about in the community. They see that there is life outside the cult. They can possibly even catch a glimpse of family members who have left and who they are supposed to shun. Thankfully there are so many more options for leaving than there used to be. I hope more and more keep leaving each year as Warren rots away in prison. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 22
  • I Agree 3

I believe most of the FLDS have actually left Short Creek because former members are moving back. They've been told if they are faithful to the church they need to leave. I think a few families haven't left, but if they haven't left they're probably not in the good books of FLDS leadership.

The one thing that really bugged be was the Utah mormons in politics talking about how the FLDS is oppressive to women, especially around polygamy. I find that rich coming from a man who is part of a faith that doesn't practice polygamy on earth anymore, but believes the same thing as the FLDS in the afterlife: that men will be polygamous and their wives will just have to deal with eternity as sister wives.

• Upvote 15

25 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

I believe most of the FLDS have actually left Short Creek because former members are moving back. They've been told if they are faithful to the church they need to leave. I think a few families haven't left, but if they haven't left they're probably not in the good books of FLDS leadership.

The one thing that really bugged be was the Utah mormons in politics talking about how the FLDS is oppressive to women, especially around polygamy. I find that rich coming from a man who is part of a faith that doesn't practice polygamy on earth anymore, but believes the same thing as the FLDS in the afterlife: that men will be polygamous and their wives will just have to deal with eternity as sister wives.

From what I have read in various sources, the LDS church gave up polygamy, not because they stopped believing in it, but because in order to get statehood for Utah, they had to stop practicing it. Those who are FLDS believe the church strayed from the correct beliefs. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

A lot have spread out and left, but some are still there. Some don’t have that much of a choice and I don’t think they have the money to move away like some. 

• Upvote 1

I was really impressed by this series, I think they did a great job. I’ve seen and read so much on the subject but there was still footage and pictures that were new to me here, plus interviews with people I was not familiar with in the FLDS orbit. Really well done I thought.

• I Agree 5

I’m glad they pointed out how in the CPS raid, the mothers were crying on the today show and bunch of news outlets saying CPS broke up their families. When in reality, Warren Jeffs had been breaking up families on a whim for years. And he had done more harm breaking up families than CPS ever did. And the women interviewed lied through their teeth about underage marriages. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

Just started watching today (on ep. 2 now)... so far it's pretty much exactly the story from "The  Witness Wore Red".  But good to hear the stories as a show rather than just reading.  

• Upvote 2

What I find impressive (probably not the right word) is that Warren Jeffs took a super boring, oppressive, restrictive, sexist cult and made it worse. That's some skill. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Mr Dress and I binged the whole thing.  I can't remember hearing Jeffs speak before. I was surprised to hear this voice -- soft, soothing, somewhat hypnotic.   His tone made him sound so reasonable when saying the most unreasonable things.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Mr Dress and I binged the whole thing.  I can't remember hearing Jeffs speak before. I was surprised to hear this voice -- soft, soothing, somewhat hypnotic.   His tone made him sound so reasonable when saying the most unreasonable things.

I thought he had the most monochromic voice I've ever listened to.  While his followers scrimped and wore prairie dresses, while he was on the run, he and Naomi, the favorite wife lived it up in Vegas, St Louis, DC playing tourist in but shorts and tee shirts. (I know that's a run on, sorry.) Followers sending 300K a week to support his evil habits. 

I hope he's wasting away in his cell. Too bad the Pest couldn't be his cellmate. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

He has the creepiest voice in the universe.  And his singing sounds like those super old recordings from like 1906 with the weird accent and constant vibrato.   

• Upvote 9

The motel in Caliente, NV, where the young girls were taken was bought by Narconon. Narconon is a rehab facility based on Scientology. From one cult to another.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

I watched it over the past few days. I feel like I need to watch it again to fully absorb it. I knew about most of it from reading things at the time. There is a special place in hell for Warren Jeffs.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

If the faithful sent him $300K a week that's $15, 600, 000 in one year.  Where did all that money go? Did he spend it all while on the run? Is it in a bank somewhere and those that took over after Jeffs now have it?

Where did  rest of the money Jeffs accumulated while he was the Prophet end up?

• Upvote 8