IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 17: How Many and Counting?

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Cam said:

My humble apologies if it’s already been mentioned, but a recent conversation with relatives included discussing common names given to children today as compared to those of yesteryears. One of the relatives was going to verbally describe a redit page, changed their mind and instead, wrote it down on a post-it note. The visual told me all I needed to know: tragedeigh. Omg. 😱 

That's not actually a common name given today. If you look at the top 10 names, they're more traditional than that and those are "common names" given to children today. 

I just think of a first grade class I subbed for this year with Aiden, Kayden, Grayden, and Zayden.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Some names you can tell aren’t from other countries or just old names that aren’t used anymore. Names like Kinzleigh and Brexlynn come to mind. 

It’s hard to say what percentage of kids in the US get very unique names like those. Because our SSA naming site only has the top 1000. There are many many more names than that used every year. 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Cam said:

My humble apologies if it’s already been mentioned, but a recent conversation with relatives included discussing common names given to children today as compared to those of yesteryears. One of the relatives was going to verbally describe a redit page, changed their mind and instead, wrote it down on a post-it note. The visual told me all I needed to know: tragedeigh. Omg. 😱 

15 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

That's not actually a common name given today. If you look at the top 10 names, they're more traditional than that and those are "common names" given to children today. 

I apologize for not being more clear what I meant. My relative was sharing the title of an ongoing redit discussion called r/tragedeigh with the topic being names deliberately misspelled or completely made up to appear more unique than they actually are. Quite the “tragedeigh”. Browsing through it is just omg nauseating. The names mentioned make Bobbye look tame in comparison.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I just think of a first grade class I subbed for this year with Aiden, Kayden, Grayden, and Zayden.

I'm a teacher and so tired of the ---ayden names. Enough already. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

17 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Zayden.

Zayden? That’s even worse than Carlin and Evan’s Zade. And i can see one of the Bates girls using it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sk8ter said:

I think the Aiden names were at their peak in the early 2000s but they’ve stayed pretty popular since. Hayden, Jayden, Brayden, Aiden, Caden, and I’ve even seen Grayden. 

• Upvote 1

One year in just one class of 2nd graders, I taught 3 Kevins, a Genesis and a Jenesis, a Sophie and a Sophia. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, postscript said:

Zayden? That’s even worse than Carlin and Evan’s Zade. And i can see one of the Bates girls using it. 

Zayden was an absolute sweetheart. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, postscript said:

I first read that as "Ziplock" and now I'm wondering if I should see a doctor.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sk8ter said:

My son is going into 4th grade, but when he was in 2nd he had a Kain, Cade, and Kaden in his class. Plus two Masons. Those long a names were going strong in the mid-2010s!

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

My son is going into 4th grade, but when he was in 2nd he had a Kain, Cade, and Kaden in his class. Plus two Masons. Those long a names were going strong in the mid-2010s!

One of my nephew's closest HS friends is Mason. I like him because I once heard him telling another friend, "Julian's aunt is so cool!" Also, I was the source of my nephew's name. The last pagan Roman emperor. Gore Vidal wrote a GREAT historical novel about Julian.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Some names you can tell aren’t from other countries or just old names that aren’t used anymore. Names like Kinzleigh and Brexlynn come to mind. 

It’s hard to say what percentage of kids in the US get very unique names like those. Because our SSA naming site only has the top 1000. There are many many more names than that used every year. 

You can actually view the entire list by going to “social security names beyond the top 1000”. It includes every name given by gender in the US for every year as long as it was given to at least 5 children. I’m a bit of a name obsessive so I frequent that list often!

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

9 minutes ago, Johannah said:

You can actually view the entire list by going to “social security names beyond the top 1000”. It includes every name given by gender in the US for every year as long as it was given to at least 5 children. I’m a bit of a name obsessive so I frequent that list often!

Can you link it?

• Upvote 2

On 7/11/2024 at 7:22 PM, Audrey2 said:

A few years ago I had a grade six class with Aiden, Brayden, Caiden, Jayden, Jaeden, Hayden and Zayden. All the moms were friends and it was a small town. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 2

When people say they don’t want their child to have a popular name, I try to explain that even the most popular names are less popular than they I used to be. And that’s because there are just more names in general now. If you look at names in the past, there would be like 10 girls named Mary in one small elementary school. But nowadays, that just doesn’t happen. And this is a good example of how names are just becoming less popular in just the last 10 years. A third of all girl names aren’t even in the top 1000. That’s nuts to think about.

CC528900-2F1A-44B2-8F3C-046B5AA0D84E.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think the Aiden names were at their peak in the early 2000s but they’ve stayed pretty popular since. Hayden, Jayden, Brayden, Aiden, Caden, and I’ve even seen Grayden. 

Don't forget Zayden, Trayden, Blayden, Payden, Xayden, Layden and Vayden.  

Okayden? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

51 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

A few years ago I had a grade six class with Aiden, Brayden, Caiden, Jayden, Jaeden, Hayden and Zayden. All the moms were friends and it was a small town. 

The irony is, their moms might have been Emily G., Emily R., Sarah P, Sara N, Jen, Jenny, and Jennifer. These moms wanted to give their children names that are a little more unique so there wouldn't be so many of them in one class. Granted, except for Jaden they're all slightly different but to my mind they're not much different than the list of girls names at the beginning of my post.

• Upvote 6

All the names that are given to more than 5 babies are available, for each state as well. You could then compare numbers given top 100 names with number of births in that state and see what state has the most uniquely named  children, or for the whole of the US. 

Here are beyond the top 1000 both state and whole country: https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/limits.html

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 7/11/2024 at 8:22 PM, Audrey2 said:

was Braden absent?

• Haha 11