IGNORED

Joe Biden 2: President Dark Brandon For The Win!

GreyhoundFan

5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Well, now we can confidently say that the orange one is too old.

The Lincoln Project has a bunch of ads ready to go hammering TFG on age.

I've seen speculation about Beshear, Mark Kelly, Josh Shapiro (PA governor), and Pritzker (IL governor) tossed about as potential VP candidates, along with Pete.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I've seen speculation about Beshear, Mark Kelly, Josh Shapiro (PA governor), and Pritzker (IL governor) tossed about as potential VP candidates, along with Pete.

NC's governor Roy Cooper seems to be becoming a viable contender as well. I live just north of NC and we often get NC campaign commercials, but I don't remember many of his. I need to do a quick Google search on him because I know so little about him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Loveday said:

NC's governor Roy Cooper seems to be becoming a viable contender as well. I live just north of NC and we often get NC campaign commercials, but I don't remember many of his. I need to do a quick Google search on him because I know so little about him.

I've been hearing this name more and more as the day has gone on. Mostly NC guy, Kentucky guy and Pennsylvania guy. I hope they're all boring white guys because boring white guys will reassure many of the white voters.

I love/hated Hillary there's a lot I didn't like but at the end of the day I felt like she was a professional and I didn't need to like her. I was happy and proud to vote for her and it was devastating how it turned out.  Honestly the short amount of time I think is likely to benefit Harris as long as she doesn't do anything obnoxious like bomb a debate or call Hakim Jefferies Mr Putin.  Like somebody posted above - this is going to take ALL the wind out of the Biden is too old sails and blow it straight into Trump's face. And with his VP pick of a total inexperienced radical sycophant - I think there's a lot of people who will be worried. Trump is old he could die (or apparently be assassinated, never would have thought that! wild year) and I think some people will be pretty nervous about Vance being lined up next. Big mistake. They should have picked Pence 2.0. Somebody conventional and boring to appeal to moderates.  Which is also what Harris should do for the same reasons.

I'm very curious if the young folk who think biden is just as bad as putin and trump over gaza will transfer that feeling to harris. I feel like it could go either way. Harris is associated with biden but her name isn't all over the news of dealing with israel. So...maybe just maybe...they'll continue to focus that wrath at biden.

• Upvote 5

In a weird way, I feel somewhat anecdotally responsible for the timing. Last Saturday I had an adventure out of cell service range. I got home and checked my local news site, hoping to find out about the accident that caused me to turn around on the way back. That's how I found out about Trump.

I'm visiting my best friends now and 3 of us decided to take a hike out of cell service. When we got back to my best friend's house, his brother came outside to tell me the news. 

I don't know if I'll have an adventure on Tuesday out of cell service, but I'm a little nervous if I do.

• Upvote 4

What do you all think about a split ticket? Liz Cheney as veep??

Edited by livinginthelight

7 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

I think that would ensure most Dems stay home and don't vote.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Just now, GreyhoundFan said:

I think that would ensure most Dems stay home and don't vote.

Not that I think Harris would actually tap Cheney, but I wonder if we could ever achieve that kind of unity as a country. Kind of a pipe dream, I guess.

I heard Cheney talk a few months back. I was impressed. And I think she has the respect of a lot of Democrats for the way she sacrificed her career to go after Trump.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I wish they would stop already on age. Good grief.

Age doesn’t make my top 10 list of why Trump is a terrible candidate. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

Was just looking into some things (since I'm up ridiculously early for no reason and . ..no, I didn't start drinking,  yet!). The "beloved" Reagan did some damage to education during his administration, cutting funding in half, wanting school prayer, and a lot more. Fortunately, wanting to not be behind other countries and remain a superpower helped change that direction (A Nation at Risk).

Congress has the power to abolish DoE and President can change the "scope" or agenda basically. Of course, the governmental structure means nothing if they just create their own little dictatorship... 😕

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Given the Republicans apparently just called for his resignation I think this would be a good plan.

Screenshot_20240722_193753_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.74c5f68ec2ebf60bc8162dd41f86237b.jpg

• Upvote 8

9 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

Not that I think Harris would actually tap Cheney, but I wonder if we could ever achieve that kind of unity as a country. Kind of a pipe dream, I guess.

I heard Cheney talk a few months back. I was impressed. And I think she has the respect of a lot of Democrats for the way she sacrificed her career to go after Trump.

I like Liz Cheney, even when I might disagree with her on some things. I think she has integrity and guts. I think she is officially an independent now (not completely sure on that) but I don't see the powers that be putting her on the ticket with Harris.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

Liz Cheney is still a republican in views if not name and has voted with them most of the time. Just being right about Trump does not mean her views aren't freeking awful 'cause they are. I would hold my nose and vote for such a ticket, but I'd be fucking pissed to have to vote for someone who doesn't share my values, and if I lived in a place where my vote doesn't matter, I'd probably not vote for president.

I think sacrificing principles in the name of unity isn't the way to go personally. Cheney does not share my values on things that matter to me, so I would not want her a heartbeat from the presidency. If she did share my values, then I would give zero fucks about the R or I next to her name.

Don't get me wrong, I respect her for her work on Jan 6th, and may like her as a person, but I don't want her anywhere near the White House.

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

Newsome wants to be president someday. I wonder if she'll pick him for her running mate. No doubt they're familiar with each other from her time in the DA's office. 

(Don't mind me. I'm just cackling at the thought of Kimberly Guilfoyle and Gavin Newsome being in close proximity for a time)

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Newsome wants to be president someday. I wonder if she'll pick him for her running mate. No doubt they're familiar with each other from her time in the DA's office. 

(Don't mind me. I'm just cackling at the thought of Kimberly Guilfoyle and Gavin Newsome being in close proximity for a time)

If memory serves me correctly, Harris would have the same issue with Newsome that Trump would have had with Rubio because they are both from the same state. We can't afford to give up all of California's electoral votes.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

If memory serves me correctly, Harris would have the same issue with Newsome that Trump would have had with Rubio because they are both from the same state. We can't afford to give up all of California's electoral votes.

I hadn't thought of that but for the record I hope she doesn't pick Newsome. I think Mark Kelley or Andy Beshear would be more appropriate picks. 

I spoke with a relative last night who wants Butigieg - but only because he thinks it'd be cool to have two "first" husbands, lol. 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, noseybutt said:

I wish they would stop already on age. Good grief.

Age doesn’t make my top 10 list of why Trump is a terrible candidate. 

I think though that age might be something that works, slightly, on the few Trump supporters who still have functioning brains. I mean, he's been hammering on about Biden's age for most if not all the campaign. And now HE'S the old guy. Now all that applies to him only. Might as well use his own words - and his incoherence - against him.

He's already a few times acted like he thought he was campaigning against Obama. I'm interested to see if Trump can remember he's no longer campaigning against Biden.

And I think there should be a maximum age limit for president. I know, ageism, all that. But really. It's a hard job that ages people and with Trump he'll be setting up problems that he'll never live to have to deal with. I think that requiring a presidential candidate to be no older than like 65 or 70 at the time of election makes sense. And a mandatory retirement age for Supreme Court Justices makes sense as well. Jobs where working past the age you are able to do your best have mandatory retirement ages, there should be age limits on making laws and setting precedents that affect generations beyond you.

5 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Given the Republicans apparently just called for his resignation I think this would be a good plan.

Screenshot_20240722_193753_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.74c5f68ec2ebf60bc8162dd41f86237b.jpg

I think Biden, if he has sense enough to use this power, will wait until the election is over before really going off.

But I really hope he does go OFF and make real use of this. All the stuff he wanted to get done in a second term? Get on it NOW. Investigate the Supreme Court justices for corruption. Strengthen education and the separation of church and state. Shore up as much as possible while he can. 

And if he can manage to get Trump disqualified for office or into prison, all the better.

Oh and I think Biden should have made this decision a year ago. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

8 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Oh that is my office's opinion too. It would be the worst trash reality TV ever, and we are there for it.

8 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Is he that unpopular? I have very little idea about him.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

It’s not about popularity. The president and VP can’t have the same state as their official residence. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

This article largely disproves fuck face's attacks blaming President Biden for high grocery prices.  (The Dubuque newspaper ran this article today but given how they're pay walled I found this non pay walled version).

So yes, inflation is down, but many people don’t notice because food prices are still high, partly due to several years of price gouging by monopolies. And this dynamic goes well beyond the grocery store. In 75 percent of US industries, whether pharmaceuticals, airlines, health care, utilities, energy or others, fewer companies now control more of their markets than 20 years ago.

What role do presidents or politics play in all of this? During the recent debate, Donald Trump attacked President Joe Biden over high grocery prices, saying, “He caused the inflation … it’s killing people. They can’t buy groceries anymore.”

Certainly it’s true that prices have greatly increased during the Biden presidency. But much of that initially was a result of the pandemic — which began during Trump’s presidency. It’s unlikely that either president could have controlled those pandemic-unleashed economic forces.

To Biden’s credit, his administration has been pressing grocery retailers to lower prices, and actually has done more than any president since Teddy Roosevelt to crack down on monopolies. His FTC has taken action against price-fixing in the meat industry and filed a lawsuit to block the merger of supermarket giants Kroger and Albertsons that would eliminate even more competition and lead to higher prices.

And it goes on to say fuck face's ideas about tariffs would do a lot more harm than good given how much food we import now.  It says if implemented it would lead to higher prices.

And there's some real conservatives assholes down in Dubuque who will probably pick up the paper and not think critically about this at all. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

Oh that is my office's opinion too. It would be the worst trash reality TV ever, and we are there for it.

Absolutely! It would be awesome!

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

It’s not about popularity. The president and VP can’t have the same state as their official residence. 

Interesting. I never knew this. So it can't be Newsom?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

All else aside, if Newsome were to wind up being her VP pick I'm OK with supporting him.  I doubt she would given how many electoral votes California has and the 12th Amendment's requirements.  Along with anyone else she picks. 

I hope that she picks someone from Middle America.  I think a strong Democratic leader from Middle America could gain support from fence sitters.  And it would help defuse the inevitable attacks from the reich wing about having a "coastal elites" or "east coast liberal" ticket.

Personally, I think former Iowa Governor Chet Culver might be a good choice for VP.  He's not a left wing culture warrior and is about the same age as Harris so fuck face's party wouldn't be able to make legit age attacks on the ticket.  (Neither could the Judas Iscariots from our own party that I still have a serious bone to pick with).   He is part of Iowa's Culver family so that might carry weight some weight from Democrats who look fondly upon both Gov. Culver and his father US Senator John Culver.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

33 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Interesting. I never knew this. So it can't be Newsom?

I didn't know about it either but if she went forward with Newsom as her VP it would invalidate California's 54 electoral votes.  The 12th Amendment makes it clear.

While the office of vice president can be a springboard for the presidency, the chances of Newsom taking that route are slim.

Longtime national Democratic strategist Bob Shrum said it is “practically impossible” Newsom would join a Harris ticket. He references the 12th Amendment, which lays out how members of the Electoral College cast ballots for the presidential ticket. It states that electors “vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves.”

Legal experts told the Sacramento Bee that this means California residents would essentially void the state’s 54 electoral votes, as Harris and Newsom maintain legal residences and are registered to vote in the same state.

The article goes on to say that neither would change their residency to another state, especially Newsom since he would have to leave office early. 

• Thank You 3

21 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Oh I’m so glad the Lincoln Project is on the job. 
I still remember the great commercial they had in 2020 with the felon saying the most ridiculous and dismissive things about Covid while the graphics showed cases going up, up, up each month. 

No other words or pictures necessary. 

I’m sure they had others, but that one was so spot on. It might have changed a mind or two. 

• Upvote 5

The only good thing about the Convicted Felon sticking around is the Lincoln Project has also stuck around and hasn't just called him out but others as well.

• Upvote 7

Newsom is from the liberal wing of the party. He also likes to be glitzy and glamorous and associated with the wealthy and famous.

Harris is much more moderate. She is pro-LGBTQ rights but also very much a DA. For example, while personally opposed to the death penalty, she prosecuted (worked to deny appeals) at least one death penalty case.

Even without 12th amendment issues, I don’t think Harris will tap anyone more liberal than herself.

• Upvote 2