IGNORED

Joe Biden 2: President Dark Brandon For The Win!

GreyhoundFan

2 hours ago, noseybutt said:

Newsom is from the liberal wing of the party. He also likes to be glitzy and glamorous and associated with the wealthy and famous.

Harris is much more moderate. She is pro-LGBTQ rights but also very much a DA. For example, while personally opposed to the death penalty, she prosecuted (worked to deny appeals) at least one death penalty case.

Even without 12th amendment issues, I don’t think Harris will tap anyone more liberal than herself.

I remember back during the pandemic when that prick Newsom decided rules for thee but not for me by going to the French Laundry.

Gov. Gavin Newsom attended a birthday party for a political adviser last week that included people from several households, the type of gathering his administration has discouraged during the coronavirus pandemic.

The dinner the night of Nov. 6 at the famed French Laundry in Yountville in Napa County brought together at least 12 people to celebrate the 50th birthday of Jason Kinney, a longtime friend and adviser to Newsom who is also a partner at the lobbying firm Axiom Advisors. In addition to the governor, his wife, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, was in attendance.

State guidelines limit gatherings, defined as “social situations that bring together people from different households at the same time in a single space or place,” to no more than three households. Representatives for Kinney and Newsom declined to specify how many households the diners represented, but did not dispute that it was more than three.

That's one thing that still goddamn well burns me up about some Democrats.  Such Democrats decide rules for thee but not for me they all well failing to realize they play straight into Republican ads about the Democrats being a bunch of elites.  Newsom and Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot did the party no favors with their actions.  (She went to a hair stylist at the height of the pandemic and had a lot of excuses at the ready why she had to go there).   

• Upvote 3

Even if legally possible, Newsome is too savy to do that. Word on the street is he and some other have been planning to make their big after trump/biden trash each other and it's a clear field. I don't think he's a good candidate, he's too left for either VP or pres. 

• I Agree 1

10 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Even if legally possible, Newsome is too savy to do that. Word on the street is he and some other have been planning to make their big after trump/biden trash each other and it's a clear field. I don't think he's a good candidate, he's too left for either VP or pres. 

He and his wife also just moved their 4 kids back to Marin County (Bay Area) schools from Sacramento. I don’t think he could get his family to move again for a few years. 

TIL that Sunday, the day President Biden stepped down from the campaign, was:

Spoiler

National Ice Cream Day!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

TIL that Sunday, the day President Biden stepped down from the campaign, was:

Hide contents

National Ice Cream Day!

lol of course it was. Very fitting

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Newsome is the Dem’s version of DeSantis. You either love him or are unimpressed. Newsome is my Gov and I don’t think I’ve ever voted for him. He doesn’t even submit a statement letter in the voter handbook when he runs for office. Nope, if you’re mailing in your candidacy, I will not vote for you, period. Obviously lots of voters in CA support him. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Newsome is the Dem’s version of DeSantis. You either love him or are unimpressed. Newsome is my Gov and I don’t think I’ve ever voted for him. He doesn’t even submit a statement letter in the voter handbook when he runs for office. Nope, if you’re mailing in your candidacy, I will not vote for you, period. Obviously lots of voters in CA support him. 

Yay! Good for you. (Just my opinion - I am an Ohioan.)

I agree. I have my list of the Democrats I'd like to see run for President and Newsome isn't on it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I agree. I have my list of the Democrats I'd like to see run for President and Newsome isn't on it.

I really don't know one way or another. I do know that VP pick should be young enough to run in 4 or 8 more years. I really like  Mark Kelly. 

• Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I really don't know one way or another. I do know that VP pick should be young enough to run in 4 or 8 more years. I really like  Mark Kelly. 

I think Kelly would be a fabulous pick. She needs to pick someone from a swing state, and if they are a senator or rep., they need to be in a safe position (not from a state with a Republican Gov.,)-it’s a big ole puzzle, for sure.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

My current list includes Andy Bashears, Josh Shapiro, the Minnesota governor, Mark Kelly, possibly Gretchen Whitmer, and Peter Buttigeg. I would also be okay with the Iowa guys mentioned by another poster. I would have the North Carolina governor on my list, but he would be over 70 by the next election and if we get eight more years he'd be pushing 80. 

I think that we need to consider more thoughtfully the candidates who won in either purple States or even more strongly red States and my list shows this, except for the Minnesota governor. 

In my perfect world, I would see America with a three-party system but I don't see this happening in my lifetime. I think we need a conservative Branch a very liberal branch and a middle of the road branch.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

My current list includes Andy Bashears, Josh Shapiro, the Minnesota governor, Mark Kelly, possibly Gretchen Whitmer, and Peter Buttigeg. I would also be okay with the Iowa guys mentioned by another poster. I would have the North Carolina governor on my list, but he would be over 70 by the next election and if we get eight more years he'd be pushing 80. 

I think that we need to consider more thoughtfully the candidates who won in either purple States or even more strongly red States and my list shows this, except for the Minnesota governor. 

In my perfect world, I would see America with a three-party system but I don't see this happening in my lifetime. I think we need a conservative Branch a very liberal branch and a middle of the road branch.

As much as I think Buttigeg would be a wonderful VP, I still think we need the straight, white guy. 

• I Agree 10

4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

As much as I think Buttigeg would be a wonderful VP, I still think we need the straight, white guy. 

I agree, that's my future presidential candidate dream list.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I wonder if, after all the drama and criticism, Biden may have actually done the Dems a favour by pulling out so late in the election year. Because now the party is kind of forced to rally behind a candidate quickly and without too much public debate or in-fighting. If he’d declared his intentions earlier, there might have been a wide list of candidates and debates and campaigns, but this way they have to present a front of unity which can only benefit them. 

Time will tell if I’m right, I sure hope so!

(Note, I don’t think Biden did it that way on purpose, I do believe he was set on running until it became apparent he really shouldn’t, for various reasons.)

• Upvote 15

1 hour ago, Shrubbery said:

I wonder if, after all the drama and criticism, Biden may have actually done the Dems a favour by pulling out so late in the election year. Because now the party is kind of forced to rally behind a candidate quickly and without too much public debate or in-fighting. If he’d declared his intentions earlier, there might have been a wide list of candidates and debates and campaigns, but this way they have to present a front of unity which can only benefit them. 

Time will tell if I’m right, I sure hope so!

(Note, I don’t think Biden did it that way on purpose, I do believe he was set on running until it became apparent he really shouldn’t, for various reasons.)

100%

I am guessing that when all is revealed we will find out that Biden has a progressive neurological disease (like Parkinsons) and that some of his stubbornness around letting go may have been a symptom of his disorder. 

But, the timing appears to be genius. I never would have guessed that waiting until after the Republican convention and their awful choice of VP would be good timing. Nor would I have expected Harris to rally party support so quickly and competently. There's energy that I don't recall since the first Obama campaign. The young people around me are actually talking about politics instead of rolling their eyes. 

It's still an uphill battle for Harris to win. But dang, it looks possible. Dare we hope?

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Yeah, in this instance I completely agree. Sadly in order for Harris to have any hope of winning, straight & white is the only chance. 

• I Agree 6

28 minutes ago, noseybutt said:

It's still an uphill battle for Harris to win. But dang, it looks possible. Dare we hope?

I am cautiously optimistic. But I'm also a pessimist. 

• I Agree 6

1 hour ago, noseybutt said:

But, the timing appears to be genius. I never would have guessed that waiting until after the Republican convention and their awful choice of VP would be good timing. Nor would I have expected Harris to rally party support so quickly and competently. There's energy that I don't recall since the first Obama campaign. The young people around me are actually talking about politics instead of rolling their eyes. 

I've seen someone describe the timing in pro wrestling terms as a "worked shoot" - meaning a real thing that happens but the timing is carefully orchestrated for maximum impact. Thinking about it, it does seem to be pretty genius to wait until JUST after the convention - they've spent the whole weekend going after Biden, they've set their nominee and VP, and then boom. All that anti-Biden fervor wasted, the focus on age now backfires, everything's changed in a moment.

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

Yeah, in this instance I completely agree. Sadly in order for Harris to have any hope of winning, straight & white is the only chance. 

I agree, sad but true at this point. I even won't be surprised if they go with Roy Cooper as VP even though he's 67 or something, just to throw a bone at the boomers. Like "Here, yes, if we win the first ever female president will also be a black/Indian woman married to a divorced Jewish man. But look! Straight Christian older married white guy! Just like most of our other presidents! He'll be VP!"

Ideally people would choose based on ability and intelligence and character. But that's clearly not a consideration for a lot of people. But I think there are unfortunately enough bigoted people that the VP choice really needs to be as unobjectionably white bread as possible this time for Harris to have a real chance. A female president is already a big leap for some people, and she's a woman of color as well. Add in another woman, another person of color, someone who is gay, and it might be just that little bit too much for some people. Which is dumb and sad, but that's where we are.

I'm feeling slightly optimistic. Not super optimistic, but a bit. Hopefully some younger people will be moved to get out there and vote for Kamala Harris. Hopefully some of Trump's fans will be upset about Vance's wife, remember Trump said he only cared about their votes, or just be lazy and not bother to vote.

And hopefully no matter what happens, when Trump eventually shuffles off to the hot place (while being buried on a golf course for a tax write-off), the disaster of a party he left behind will collapse.

• Upvote 6

47 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I'm feeling slightly optimistic. Not super optimistic, but a bit. Hopefully some younger people will be moved to get out there and vote for Kamala Harris. Hopefully some of Trump's fans will be upset about Vance's wife, remember Trump said he only cared about their votes, or just be lazy and not bother to vote.

And hopefully no matter what happens, when Trump eventually shuffles off to the hot place (while being buried on a golf course for a tax write-off), the disaster of a party he left behind will collapse.

I have read that they already are as how can Vance support "white interests". 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I have read that they already are as how can Vance support "white interests". 

So wild, especially given that South Asian Indians are classified by anthropologist as Caucasians. (Although SCOTUS disagreed in 1923, US v Bhagat Singh.)

• Thank You 1

Also, maybe Lincoln Project could do an ad directed at Usha Vance without explicitly saying so? Something like: Hey girl, it's never too late to escape misogynistic and racist people....

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I agree. He’s pretty much a left wing version of DeSatan.  He figures he can get by with the large city votes and ignore the rest of the state. 

I hate to say it, but it’s a problem a lot of blue states have.  They’re only blue because they have large blue population centers (Chicago, MSP, etc).  It’s not like the old days now where our side could rely on working class support no matter what. The democrats need to fucking wake up to that and reach out to rural areas instead of ignoring them. 

• I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

I agree. He’s pretty much a left wing version of DeSatan.  He figures he can get by with the large city votes and ignore the rest of the state. 

I hate to say it, but it’s a problem a lot of blue states have.  They’re only blue because they have large blue population centers (Chicago, MSP, etc).  It’s not like the old days now where our side could rely on working class support no matter what. The democrats need to fucking wake up to that and reach out to rural areas instead of ignoring them. 

I am in Illinois and it is kind of hard when those areas are waving trump and f--- Biden flags. When they didn't think Covid was real and ignored the mask mandate and the shelter in place. When they laughed when the number of deaths from Covid was printed in the newspapers. And every mile or two is yet another small church that tells them trump is anointed by God himself. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

I’m old.

Old enough to remember when a divorced man could never get elected President. Until Regan did. 
Old enough to remember when having a woman on the ticket was unthinkable. Until Walter Mondale put Geraldine Ferraro on the ticket. 
Old enough to remember when having an affair ( or many) would definitely make a candidate unelectable. Until Clinton came along. 
Old enough to remember when a POC becoming president was unthinkable. Then Obama came along. 
Old enough to remember when a woman on the top of the ticket was too crazy to contemplate. Then Hillary came along (and won the popular vote). 
Old enough to believe I’d never see a woman VP in my lifetime. Until Kamala came along. 

As somebody wrote above I’m somewhat optimistic, but also a skeptic. 
But, I saw all of the above ( and more) in my lifetime. Maybe, hopefully, America is finally ready for a President Harris. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 12