IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips? Part 13

Coconut Flan

On 9/20/2024 at 2:18 PM, Howl said:

Going through my aunt's things after she passed, I found a shawl made from a silk parachute.  Still quite lovely and it had some type of official military stamp on it.  During that time (WWII and immediately post war) I'm sure it was quite patriotic to wear it. It may also have been part of my grandfather's military gear, although I think he was retired by WWII or close to retirement. He was in the military and was required to make parachute jumps, which he HATED. 

I'm genuinely curious if someone is actually giving them pieces of parachutes, from France AND the Netherlands? Maybe these are commonly found at D-Day battlefield sites, and Liberty and Faith are telling the truth?? It seems suspiciously redundant. I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to sell these as they did the American flags they jumped with in France.

On 9/20/2024 at 2:18 PM, Howl said:

Going through my aunt's things after she passed, I found a shawl made from a silk parachute.  Still quite lovely and it had some type of official military stamp on it.  During that time (WWII and immediately post war) I'm sure it was quite patriotic to wear it. It may also have been part of my grandfather's military gear, although I think he was retired by WWII or close to retirement. He was in the military and was required to make parachute jumps, which he HATED. 

One of my mother’s friends had a wedding gown made from her husband’s service parachute silk! It wasn’t uncommon post-WWII for veterans’ brides. I saw one such gown on display at the hot air balloon museum in Albuquerque.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hane said:

One of my mother’s friends had a wedding gown made from her husband’s service parachute silk! It wasn’t uncommon post-WWII for veterans’ brides. I saw one such gown on display at the hot air balloon museum in Albuquerque.

An article about wedding dresses made from parachute silk.

https://dustyoldthing.com/wwii-parachute-wedding-dresses/

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3