IGNORED

Joy & Austin 34: Baby Three

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, JDuggs said:

loved her FU to JB of wearing pants to Jason’s wedding.

I hadn’t even noticed that! Funny to think of how much of an issue it would have been on the show.

• Upvote 3

On 10/17/2024 at 8:03 PM, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

the podcaster made the joke about ACDC or Kiss being rebellious, not Austin - Austin corrects him and says, no just country music, which was scandalous enough at the time they were courting.

Austin probably listened to contemporary music that was scandalous that is made during the 2010s/2020s. ACDC and KISS are Gen X music. There are people who listen to older songs, but those people are usually into music. People just starting off listening will pick music that is being made around the time they're getting into it. 

• Upvote 3

Now I’ve watched the interview. A few things I noticed:

I think it’s wise to remember that Joy is early on in her journey to discover how her upbringing has impacted her. I hope she keeps reflecting on different matters, although it doesn’t seem to come naturally to her.

It’s obvious to me that the Duggar kids were raised to not question things nor think for themselves (nothing new there). Joy saying that she didn’t question the courtship rules confirms that. It was just the way things were done, period.

Austin gives a much better impression than in their YouTube channel. He seems supportive. It still surprises me that he and Jeremy get along so well. To me they seem so different.

I think the Duggar kids are different from each other. Some of them, I think, may have easier to cope with how they were raised than others. I mean, if your personality is less reflective it’s easier to just go along. Plus there’s a difference in the circumstances between the older and the younger kids.  The younger girls don’t have to take care of multiple younger siblings.

There’s a lot of stuff that isn’t said in the interview, which is healthy. Joy doesn’t have to share everything and I don’t think she is ready to throw her parents under the bus, at least yet. Maybe she’ll never be. I think it’s okay to keep some stuff private. I got the impression that she has talked through a lot more stuff with her counseler (spelling?). It would be weird if she hadn’t discussed Josh with her/him.

I’ve been thinking about Joy and also Jinger sharing happy episodes from their childhood. In a way it seems contradictory considering that we know what an asshole Jim Bob is, but I don’t think it is. No matter how damaging a childhood may be, there’s also room for good stuff. The way Joy talks good about her mom, though. Is it really true? I want to believe her and why would she lie? I don’t know.

The last thing on my mind is that it seems like what rocked the Duggar boat is the publishing of Jill’s and Jinger’s books NOT all the stuff around Josh. Or was it just that it coincided with Joy suffering from postpartum depression? Strange.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

19 hours ago, Cupcake79 said:

The last thing on my mind is that it seems like what rocked the Duggar boat is the publishing of Jill’s and Jinger’s books NOT all the stuff around Josh. Or was it just that it coincided with Joy suffering from postpartum depression? Strange.

My guess is it was so life altering information for her that she's still processing it. It could be years (if ever) before she talks openly about it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Giraffe said:

My guess is it was so life altering information for her that she's still processing it. It could be years (if ever) before she talks openly about it. 

I agree. I think that Joy that is just now starting to really dive into questioning her upbringing and everything she was taught to believe, in a deeper way that just scratching the surface by wearing pants, so it's still early days for her. Meanwhile Jill & Jinger have already "been there done that". As a mom of very young kids myself, I can totally see how maybe over the last couple years as this was all coming to head Joy just wasn't in a place in life to really give it too much thought. Now she's coming out the other side of some of her personal stuff and I think it's all hitting her. I know for me, my second kid rocked my work...and he's 3 and I just now feel like I'm coming out the other side of PPD that I never allowed myself to admit that I had. 

• Love 2