IGNORED

Idaho Mom Lori Daybell 2

Coconut Flan

Posted (edited)

Did anyone watch Emma Daybell Murray‘s testimony? So many weird statements…

“no one should have an autopsy done on them“

„Latter-day Saints believe we will be resurrected and with our families forever. A funeral isn’t saying goodbye forever – it’s a see you later, it’s a break“-describing Chad‘s demeanor 

*the fact she was searching for „south-southwest winds“ and was casting the day before Tylee died

*describing Chad as the patriarch of their home

And then there is all the implicit fat shaming of Tammy to try to prove her health was bad. She ate McDonald’s the night she died, messed with her FitBit, etc.

Edited by Pleiades_06
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

11 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

And then there is all the implicit fat shaming of Tammy to try to prove her health was bad

I’ve been watching the lunch break recaps and occasionally the psychologist recap from the Hidden True Crime podcast.  I was amazed at how much the defense is pushing this ill-health agenda due to Tammy being slothlike and obese (which doesn’t appear to be true).  Emma is really seeming to be over-the-top with her testimony in favor of her father, at the expense of her late mother.  It’s all very odd. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

The defense doesn't have a lot to work with. I don't think Chad Daybell will allow him to say: "My client was a con man who used religion to get sex and attention from women who had a weird taste for apocalyptic fiction. He met a superficially attractive blonde bombshell whose brother was her pet assassin, and before he realized what was happening, three to five people, including two children, were dead. Who could have known? All he wanted was a little extra-marital nooky but she took it far too seriously."

And the other defense narrative, about how local LE was bullying his poor client because they found one shooting death and two missing children to be somewhat suspicious, isn't much better. Local law enforcement might have its issues, but I think probable cause for the warrants was pretty easy to prove, even in Idaho.

And then he had to put up three of the family cult members on the witness stand, and they actually acted like cult members! What a surprise!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, FiveAcres said:

The defense doesn't have a lot to work with. I don't think Chad Daybell will allow him to say: "My client was a con man who used religion to get sex and attention from women who had a weird taste for apocalyptic fiction. He met a superficially attractive blonde bombshell whose brother was her pet assassin, and before he realized what was happening, three to five people, including two children, were dead. Who could have known? All he wanted was a little extra-marital nooky but she took it far too seriously."

And the other defense narrative, about how local LE was bullying his poor client because they found one shooting death and two missing children to be somewhat suspicious, isn't much better. Local law enforcement might have its issues, but I think probable cause for the warrants was pretty easy to prove, even in Idaho.

And then he had to put up three of the family cult members on the witness stand, and they actually acted like cult members! What a surprise!

I wanted to use the laugh emoji at your description of the defense because it is so correct but it felt wrong.

Everyone is entitled to a defense but it is so cringe-y.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Tuesday morning, after a four day break for Memorial Day, the prosecution presented its last rebuttal witnesses. Closing arguments will be given on Wednesday morning, and then the case will go to the jury.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

Verdict has been reached, after about six or seven hours. Will be given at 2pm mountain time.

Judge Boyce's livestream:

• Thank You 2

Posted (edited)

Guilty on all counts of first degree murder and conspiracy to commit first degree murder. Also guilty of grand theft for insurance fraud.

ETA: The penalty phase will start at approximately 15:15 pm MDT. For death penalty cases, first guilt is established and then there is another phase where the jury deliberates on the sentence.

Edited by FiveAcres
  • Upvote 7

@Coconut Flan What a long, strange trip it's been. How I wish we didn't know now what we didn't know then.

On 3/23/2023 at 8:42 AM, Coconut Flan said:

Continued from here:

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I am normally anti death penalty but I think I can make an exception in this case. 

• Upvote 2

Lori's defense attorney barely started to throw Chad under the bus and Lori became visibly upset (so I read, it wasn't televised.) Chad sat in his unphased flat-line pose while his defense attorney went on and on during closing about what a harlot Lori was and how she was planning to kill Chad for even more life insurance money. 

When Lori sees this for herself or hears it, and if she ever comes out of her religious delusion, it will be interesting to see if she eventually has something to say about Chad manipulating her and Alex into all this. Lori and Alex were still completely involved regardless of Chad's "guidance" but it does seem like Chad's trial drove home how he was the one in control of "the plan."

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1