IGNORED

Karissa Collins 2: Riding Her High Horse

Coconut Flan

I wanted to experience natural childbirth, kind of to see what my body was capable of.  (Also my mom had 3 kids with no pain relief and said it wasn't any worse than a bad period.  Either she lied or she has some serious amnesia or the worst periods in human history....). For a variety of reasons it took me until Baby #6 to actually deliver with no epidural.  It was a very fast labor.  Husband left the car running outside the main entrance of the hospital.  We showed up, the nurse asked if I was wanting an epidural, I said "I didn't originally, but please give me all the drugs you have to make this stop!". She said " okay, we'll get the doctor right in to have a look.". The doctor came in and informed me that he could feel my son's head and there was no time for an epidural.  I pushed and thought to myself "Why do women actually choose to do this without pain meds?  What was I thinking?" Ten minutes later I was holding a baby and my husband asked if I would be mad if he left to go move our car that was still idling by the door.

So now, having tried pretty much everything (vaginal delivery, c-section, induction, epidural, no meds) I will say that I decided after the birth that I liked the unmedicated one best because I could just get up and walk around and take care of my baby as soon as it was over.  Easiest postpartum recovery ever.  As opposed to recovering from surgery or feeling swollen or like I had been hit by a bus.  I did not, however, feel that way when I was in the middle of giving birth.  Not at all.

BUT... that was me.  Everyone is different.  No one way is easier or better.  No one gets extra mommy martyr points for doing it a certain way.  I hate the way everything about motherhood turns into judgment and comparison and competition.  Every birth is amazing.  Every mom who gives birth has done something hard and impressive.  The details don't make anyone superior or inferior.

@mango_fandango I have not had the kidney stones, though I have heard horror stories from friends.  I did have lots of gallstones and a semi-emergency gallbladder removal.  At that time I told everyone the gallbladder attacks hurt worse than labor.  But I had gotten an epidural for the later stages.  Birth sans epidural now holds the record.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

Karissa spouts so much bullshit as fact and never backs it up. Where is it proven that it takes longer to heal when you have a girl? 

8AA9F9B7-A62F-4EAC-AA23-78CFDF815295.jpeg

• Disgust 2
  • Confused 2
  • Eyeroll 9
  • WTF 5

I hate the 40/80 day thing. It completely ignores reality. I can't imagine having intercourse slightly more than a month after giving birth! 

• Upvote 10

Like what if she has a boy and a 3rd degree tear? She shouldn’t be having sex 40 days later if she hasn’t healed yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

It's not just her. It's biblical I  think. And Bill Gothard used to talk about it. Jim Bob and Michelle all used to talk about it on tv. It was one of the first Duggar snarks I ever heard. It brings me back to before we wasted all this time talking about them. 

• Upvote 4

I think it was a kindness to a woman. Back then the man had absolute authority over a woman and if she did the unthinkable and delivered a girl the husband could not get right to work trying to get a boy. The poor woman got a break. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

"It's hard on our husbands?" That's more than I ever needed to know about their sex life. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

58 minutes ago, postscript said:

"It's hard on our husbands?" That's more than I ever needed to know about their sex life. 

Oh she’s said a lot. Along with how he never pulls out and BJs are a sin. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh she’s said a lot. Along with how he never pulls out and BJs are a sin. 

This is where a shudder emoji would come in handy. Preparing for the possibility of them romping through my nightmares. No wonder their gaps between kids are so short. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

20 hours ago, postscript said:

It's also stunningly uncaring towards the person who just gave birth!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 15
  • Love 1

I would like to hear more about this scientific proof that has never been mentioned by any medical professional I have ever seen.

Having ancestral roots in the part of the world that is pretty close to where the Old Testament came from... I have always assumed that it was to protect women who had just had girls from disappointed husbands who immediately wanted to start trying again for a boy.

Interestingly, the standard seems (at least where I live in the USA) to be that the doctor or midwife green lights you for sex if all is well at the 6 week postpartum visit... which does put you around 40 days after the birth.  However, I have now had 6 of these visits and my reaction is usually that just because I *can* doesn't mean it sounds like a good idea yet.

• Upvote 10

I would have loved to have an epidural. But after examining my spine the doctor said "no way" so I could either have a vaginal delivery without epirural or a c-section under general anesthesia. Not being keen on general anesthesia I tried it vaginally. It worked out. I mean yes it was painful but I'm constantly in pain so I'm kinda used to it. It was just another level of pain.

Every woman should have the right to choose the delivery she wants as long as medically advised and no woman should be shamed for (not) having an epidural or for (not) having an elective c-section or whatever. Every woman and every birth is different and birthing is in no way a competition.

As for the healing. It took me about 8 weeks to heal after the birth of my boy and about 2 weeks after the birth of my girl. But my boy inherited my big head and it was a rough birth whereas my girl with my partner's small head just popped out.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Karissa had Arrow. On the toilet. Of course she immediately made a video and posted it:

73BEE4C9-0035-47D1-93EE-2260B5511A50.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Thank You 7

Thank goodness he’s finally here. This felt like the longest pregnancy ever. Not sure I want to hear the birth story for this one. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9

At least she had a midwife. I don’t think she did for the last two babies. After Armor spent two weeks in the NICU, she opted for a home checkup at least.

Also, #soblessed that there are no photos or videos of this birth. Thank you, Arrow, for saving us the need for eye bleach like after your brother’s birth.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

At least she had a midwife. I don’t think she did for the last two babies. After Armor spent two weeks in the NICU, she opted for a home checkup at least.

Also, #soblessed that there are no photos or videos of this birth. Thank you, Arrow, for saving us the need for eye bleach like after your brother’s birth.

Except that the midwife wasn't there for the birth; she showed up two hours later. Karissa says in that above message that "the midwife didn't make it" during her three hours of labor, but she also says that the midwife showed up two hours after the birth. This makes me think she didn't really want the midwife there or the midwife was far away. Why else would the midwife be hours late?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Except that the midwife wasn't there for the birth; she showed up two hours later. Karissa says in that above message that "the midwife didn't make it" during her three hours of labor, but she also says that the midwife showed up two hours after the birth. This makes me think she didn't really want the midwife there or the midwife was far away. Why else would the midwife be hours late?

If she’s a licensed midwife, it’s likely she wouldn’t even want to be there. Because there are a lot of things that make Karissa a poor candidate for a homebirth. She’s probably just a lay midwife. And I’m sure Karissa never planned in having her there while she gave birth. Karissa always invites a ton of her friends over for the birth. But no professional. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

The way Karissa glorifies her ability to give birth I wouldn't put it past her to wait until she was basically crowning to call the midwife. My other thought is the only midwife ("midwife" most likely) who would take her may live a decent ways away from them and couldn't make it in time. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Yes, I know. I was thinking more about the baby’s health after birth. For Armor’s birth she threw a party and had her mom and home church friends over. It was her mom - who is a nurse - who recognized that the baby was grunting and should be seen. I think they took him in around 4 hours after birth, and then he was admitted for two weeks. Karissa also had to be admitted for a few days.

So I was glad that, despite the fact that the midwife didn’t attend the birth, that she was there to check on the baby and mom after.

Just watch though and we will find out the midwife is not licensed. Or that Karissa is stretching the truth because she knows how many people would hound her in the comments if she didn’t say upfront that the baby was checked out.

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

This isn’t surprising at all. She’s had major issues with her body and weight for years. She says she’s 182 and 5’10.” She literally just had her 11th baby less than 2 weeks ago. And she’s stressing about her weight and trying to have some sort of extremely unhealthy weight loss contest. She will lose her milk supply if she doesn’t eat enough in order to lose weight. 

99C398F9-587C-4A5E-BCA2-3EA07EA766BF.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 6
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This isn’t surprising at all. She’s had major issues with her body and weight for years. She says she’s 182 and 5’10.” She literally just had her 11th baby less than 2 weeks ago. And she’s stressing about her weight and trying to have some sort of extremely unhealthy weight loss contest. She will lose her milk supply if she doesn’t eat enough in order to lose weight. 

99C398F9-587C-4A5E-BCA2-3EA07EA766BF.jpeg

Watch Jill try this same tactic in 3...2....

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Watch Jill try this same tactic in 3...2....

At least Jill isn't less than one month post partum! 

• Upvote 2

And of course this involves taking Plexus and requires anyone joining her to be signed up under her. It’s a ploy to get new customers/recruits to her down line. 

She posted the other day with a picture of the baby next to their reborn doll, commenting on their similarities. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

You can win $200 but it will cost $125 per month in “recommended” products. Sign me up!!11!! 🙄

Edited by Mrs Ms
Hadn’t fully formed the thought
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 8