IGNORED

Dillards 94: After Counting the Cost

Coconut Flan

6 minutes ago, viii said:

I know multiple girls ranging in age from newborn to 12 named Brynley that it doesn’t seem like a weird name to me. And they’re all spelled that way as well, so BrynLeigh looks dumb to me. I thought it was a common name but perhaps just in my area. 

Yeah, I don’t get all the fuss about the name Brynley. I live in the South and Brynley is not as common as all of the Emma Claire, Anna Clair, Mary Claire’s, etc, who are running around, but there’s enough Brynlee/Brynley/Brinleys down here that no one bats an eye or thinks it’s an unusual name. 
I do know a Whitley who is in elementary school (which is paired up with her common one syllable middle name) and would consider that more rare than Brynley, tbh, but both names make sense in the southern region of the US.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, DalmatianCat said:

Yeah, I don’t get all the fuss about the name Brynley. I live in the South and Brynley is not as common as all of the Emma Claire, Anna Clair, Mary Claire’s, etc, who are running around, but there’s enough Brynlee/Brynley/Brinleys down here that no one bats an eye or thinks it’s an unusual name. 
I do know a Whitley who is in elementary school (which is paired up with her common one syllable middle name) and would consider that more rare than Brynley, tbh, but both names make sense in the southern region of the US.

I think the biggest thing is that Bryn is already a name. And then adding Leigh to any established name often isn’t a person’s taste. So I guess it’s grouped into names like Amberleigh. I would say it’s a more common practice in Mormon areas. But a lot of people do it. I definitely don’t think Brynleigh is the worst name ever. There are so many worse names. It’s more of my brain going, “what’s wrong with Bryn?” Because I’ve always liked the name Bryn. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

I like the name Brynn too but Brynley is a more common name in the areas we have lived in. I have only personally met one Brynn and she is in her 30s but know quite a few Brynleys in the under 20 crowd   

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think the biggest thing is that Bryn is already a name. And then adding Leigh to any established name often isn’t a person’s taste. So I guess it’s grouped into names like Amberleigh. I would say it’s a more common practice in Mormon areas. But a lot of people do it. I definitely don’t think Brynleigh is the worst name ever. There are so many worse names. It’s more of my brain going, “what’s wrong with Bryn?” Because I’ve always liked the name Bryn. 

I don’t know any Bryns (not common in my area), but I wonder if Brynley took off 10-ish years ago (based on the age of all the Brynleys around here), from moms who liked the name “Bailey” but wanted something a little more original, but not too off-the-beaten-track. It fascinates me how so many parents who don’t seem like “follow the crowd/trend” types end up choosing a name that does become popular with other kids born in a 5-7 year span. I noticed that several years ago when I suddenly had three unconnected friends in different states all decide to name their new daughters Adalynn and they all considered the name pretty original/unique. Now, Adalynn (and it’s variations) are starting to seem—not super popular—but fairly common.

• Upvote 7

I have a young niece named Adalynn. I think it's fairly common in elementary school aged girls. 

• Upvote 3

Adalyn is basically a type of Adeline. Which I think is a pretty old name. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

My great grandmother was an Adeline

It’s a pretty name. I like Ada, Adeline, Adelia, Adele, Adelaide. They are all pretty. 

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s a pretty name. I like Ada, Adeline, Adelia, Adele, Adelaide. They are all pretty. 

I teach an Adelaide and I love it. It helps that I’m huge fan of “Guys and Dolls” 😂

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

“Adalynn” is to Madeline as “Addison” is to Madison. Just leave off the M. The name Addison, which I don’t care for, started getting popular around here about 15 years ago. Is that a TV character name? Two of my adult nieces both wanted to use the name if they had a girl. The first of them to learn she was having a girl had a big pow wow with the other to make sure there were no hard feelings that she was claiming the name for her daughter. Worked out, since the other one had only one child, a boy. 

When Madison became a popular name it was apparently due to the movie Splash as it was the lead character’s name who was played by Darryl Hannah. The name Hannah also became popular at that time, too.  Also, the name Zack got popular from the movie An Officer and a Gentleman whose main character played by Richard Gere was named Zach.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Cam said:

“Adalynn” is to Madeline as “Addison” is to Madison. Just leave off the M. The name Addison, which I don’t care for, started getting popular around here about 15 years ago. Is that a TV character name? Two of my adult nieces both wanted to use the name if they had a girl. The first of them to learn she was having a girl had a big pow wow with the other to make sure there were no hard feelings that she was claiming the name for her daughter. Worked out, since the other one had only one child, a boy. 

When Madison became a popular name it was apparently due to the movie Splash as it was the lead character’s name who was played by Darryl Hannah. The name Hannah also became popular at that time, too.  Also, the name Zack got popular from the movie An Officer and a Gentleman whose main character played by Richard Gere was named Zach.

Yes, Addison was a female character on Grey’s anatomy and that’s why it got popular. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

I teach an Adelaide and I love it. It helps that I’m huge fan of “Guys and Dolls” 😂

Adelaide reminds me of the spunky protagonist, Adelaide "Addie" Mills, in the novel and 70s CBS Christmas special "The House Without A Christmas Tree".  It's one of my all-time favorite holiday specials.  I actually toyed with using the name if I had a girl because I loved the character so much.  

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 3

On 1/5/2024 at 9:40 PM, DalmatianCat said:

Adelaide was our second choice girl name but unfortunately we didn't get to use it. It was my great aunts name. I always thought my Great Grandparents picked amazing names for their girls. They were Adelaide Catherine, Julia Louise (my grandmother, my sister used her name for my niece) and Alyce Marie. 

• Upvote 5

On 1/1/2024 at 10:50 PM, Expectopatronus said:

Upper Canada College? I have heard that private schools in Ontario are nuts cost wise. 

Right Province, wrong school. Lakefield.

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2024 at 7:44 PM, DalmatianCat said:

I don’t know any Bryns (not common in my area), but I wonder if Brynley took off 10-ish years ago (based on the age of all the Brynleys around here), from moms who liked the name “Bailey” but wanted something a little more original, but not too off-the-beaten-track. I

The Brynn I know is a senior in HS.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

Right Province, wrong school. Lakefield.

RIP Hamblins

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, flowergirl said:

Jill and Derrick made a podcast with the unplanned podcast. 

Maybe someone could give us a recap about it? 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C15YrR4P5OC/?igsh=MXhoN2tmenQ4ZzN5MQ==

Derrick is spitting up some truth. I’m not far into it but already he used the word cult to describe IBLP, pointed out Jill changed her first diaper at 6 whereas he was 26, coslept with her younger siblings as a kid, and reminded Jill when she used to have to freeze her blankets when there was no ac. 

Per Jill there was no running water at the TTH when they moved in, they used a port a potty for 2 weeks.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 14

At 50:15 Derrick says he wouldn’t be surprised if Jim Bob/ mad family, Inc. got another audit. 

When was the first audit? Has there been more than one?

At 52:52 Derrick talks about “people” not paying their fair share of taxes so they can control a pile of money. He didn’t come out and say Jim Bob but it seemed implied.

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

What does "audit" mean in this context? 

Non-native speaker here. Thanks in advance. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, flowergirl said:

What does "audit" mean in this context? 

Non-native speaker here. Thanks in advance. 

An audit is an "independent examination of financial information of any entity, whether profit oriented or not, irrespective of its size or legal form when such an examination is conducted with a view to express an opinion thereon." Auditing also attempts to ensure that the books of accounts are properly maintained by the concern as required by law. [from Wikipedia]

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

An audit can come from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) which is the government entity that oversees taxes. They have a reputation for being quite invasive and painful. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

An audit can come from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) which is the government entity that oversees taxes. They have a reputation for being quite invasive and painful. 

And the IRS will get the money!  At my bank where I worked, we had no end of IRS garnishments.  

• Upvote 5

It wouldn’t shock me if an IRS audit is in Jim Bob’s and the adult children’s future. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I got audited a few years ago by the CRA; it was not a big deal and they found everything was fine. In fact, I ended up with a bigger tax rebate than I expected. But I gather the IRS is more soul sucking than the CRA.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic