IGNORED

Dillards 94: After Counting the Cost

Coconut Flan

26 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

It wouldn’t shock me if an IRS audit is in Jim Bob’s and the adult children’s future. 

I hope it is and I hope the IRS comes at him with everything. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Me too. Depending on how deep shady dealings go this could topple multiple branches of the family.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

5 hours ago, Giraffe said:

We need a FUCK YES emoji.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I got audited a few years ago by the CRA; it was not a big deal and they found everything was fine. In fact, I ended up with a bigger tax rebate than I expected. But I gather the IRS is more soul sucking than the CRA.

I doubt the IRS is more soul sucking than the CRA. However, the IRS has been seriously underfunded for its mission for many years, which means that when they do decide that someone warrants an audit, that is a big deal.

ETA: When the feds raided the Josh's car lot, my first reaction that there was money laundering involved and my second was fencing stolen cars.

Edited by FiveAcres
  • Upvote 14

Derick chose his words and it sounds like JB/M have had an audit of some kind prior to this interview, probably prior to the book release. I'm not a bit surprised we didn't hear about

• Upvote 4

I'm watching it. Derrick is definitely pointing stuff out that Jill still seems to accept as totally normally (taking care of siblings, cosleeping with siblings,  not being able to afford AC and a friend having to buy them for the family). Meanwhile JB was able to afford a state senate campaign at that time. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, JMO said:

I'm watching it. Derrick is definitely pointing stuff out that Jill still seems to accept as totally normally (taking care of siblings, cosleeping with siblings,  not being able to afford AC and a friend having to buy them for the family). Meanwhile JB was able to afford a state senate campaign at that time. 

It is really hard to unravel your idea of normal. I know that sometimes I will say so,e thing about my child that will have my husband staring at me with ‘WTf’ eyes but it’s not stuff I ever give much thought too. 

In the comments on an article about Aaron Rodgers and his brand of crazy, someone commented thwt he reminds them of Derick and now I can’t unsee it lol

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

I finished the interview.  It's really good and I recommend it, even if it does run an hour.  I watched it on youtube.  Jill is very honest and grounded in terms of where her relationship is with her siblings and her parents.  I suspect that this was filmed prior to Christmas since she specifically says that Freddie is 17 months old (placing the interview in December) and that they hadn't seen her family since the previous year.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 9

9 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

It is really hard to unravel your idea of normal. I know that sometimes I will say so,e thing about my child that will have my husband staring at me with ‘WTf’ eyes but it’s not stuff I ever give much thought too. 

I call those Muggle moments, where you don’t realize something isn’t normal until you see the horrified reactions. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 7

I watched the interview yesterday and enjoyed it. I’ve been amazed at the transformation in Jill. I think she is a lot more poised than she was even a year ago.

Jill has broken away from IBLP and the most extreme of the beliefs held by her parents, but at great cost to her family relationships. I could tell she still loves her family and is trying hard to maintain ties with her siblings (and mom) while establishing strong boundaries. Both in the interview and in the book I thought Jill was careful not to point fingers and place blame. She was very matter of fact about things — it’s just the way things were and it’s all she knew.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 6

I would hope the IRS has a policy of looking closely at every reality television "star". Off the top of my head I know members of both The Real Housewives of New Jersey and Dance Moms casts have done time in prison for tax fraud - like they forgot that federal workers watch tv too.

I suspect Jim Bob already has been audited due to the large number of dependent deductions he claimed. Once upon a time, taxpayers could claim dependents without proof, then in 1987 the IRS instituted a rule that said every child claimed needed a Social Security Number and thousands of "children" vanished from their paper existences. Since claiming extra kids is a known tax cheat, any return listing a high number of dependent children should trigger some sort of red flag. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/declaration-of-non-dependents/

• Upvote 6

Not to mention those who use their kids for income on YouTube. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 3:02 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Adalyn is basically a type of Adeline. Which I think is a pretty old name. 

At least here (Germany), a lot of “old” names are making a comeback. Like “Frieda” or “Wilhelm” or “Karl”, it would have been so odd to name a baby those names when I was a kid, but nowadays they’re really common. I think it’s always just a matter of time until names perceived as “old fashioned” return and become trendy again. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, GreenBeans said:

At least here (Germany), a lot of “old” names are making a comeback. Like “Frieda” or “Wilhelm” or “Karl”, it would have been so odd to name a baby those names when I was a kid, but nowadays they’re really common. I think it’s always just a matter of time until names perceived as “old fashioned” return and become trendy again. 

That happens in the US too. When I was very young, Sophia, Emma, Evelyn, and  Isabella were all considered old fashioned names. But now they aren’t considered old fashioned at all. They are considered popular and mainstream. 

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

Here in Canada there are a lot of old names coming back. Mavis, Audrey, George, Stella, Frank, just to name a few that I know personally. 

• Upvote 4

With the exception of Mavis, all of those names are names of current students in my school. lol. Everything old is new again. 

• Upvote 3

In the UK too. The old-fashioned names are super popular - off the top of my head I know (and some multiples of) Elsie, Edie, Bertie, Sidney, Stanley, Frank, Stella, Audrey, Ada, Olive, Arthur, Iris, Ivy, Sylvie... all the nursing home names.

• Upvote 2

I live in a very white middle class or upper middle class area. There are plenty of older names around here. Florence, George, Georgia, Frances, Rosalie, Jolene, Elaine, Nell, Alice, Georgina, Clementine, Louise, Simone, Sylvia, Colette, Vera, Victoria, Olive, Ruby, and Harriet. With a million little boys named Henry, Charles, or William. 

• Upvote 3

I think unless they're naming a child in honor of an ancestor, people tend avoid using the names of their grandparents/great aunts, etc.  

When my generation gets old, the nursing homes will be filled with Jennifers and Michaels (there were always multiples in every class) being cared for by Emmas and Ethans (I don't know any over 25)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, shesinsane said:

I think unless they're naming a child in honor of an ancestor, people tend avoid using the names of their grandparents/great aunts, etc.  

When my generation gets old, the nursing homes will be filled with Jennifers and Michaels (there were always multiples in every class) being cared for by Emmas and Ethans (I don't know any over 25)

There’s typically a cycle. Names from the silent generation are popular right now. But not boomer names. When my kids are grown up and naming their kids, more boomer names will be back in style. Of course cycles could change in the future. They could become shorter or longer depending. 

• Upvote 7

I love the name Eleanor.  Gave it to our daughter.  Soooo, she prefers the  name Nellie.  She's lucky I love her so much that I call her that.  The best laid plans of mice...

Had a male cousin who was nicknamed Stinky until he was in his mid 20's when he asked to be called by his given name.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Queeen Victoria said:

I love the name Eleanor.  Gave it to our daughter.  Soooo, she prefers the  name Nellie.  She's lucky I love her so much that I call her that.  The best laid plans of mice...

My stepmother’s name was Eleanor. She died a couple of years ago in her mid 90s. She always disliked her “old lady” name and was so surprised when it started becoming popular again.

I love the name Nellie. So cute.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There’s typically a cycle. Names from the silent generation are popular right now. But not boomer names. When my kids are grown up and naming their kids, more boomer names will be back in style. Of course cycles could change in the future. They could become shorter or longer depending. 

I've been saying for a while that in a decade or so we will see Lisa, Linda, Nancy, Donna, Debra/Deborah, Christine, Patricia, Cheryl, Julie, Sharon and Susan all make a comeback-all the popular later Boomer/Early GenX names you don't hear so much anymore.  And let's not forget Barbara, especially since the "Barbie" movie was so popular.  It's only a matter of time.  Heck, Deborah is already being used by the fundies such as the Maxwells and Wallers.   

I would have included Karen, but the connotation it has now may have killed it.  

• Upvote 6

I love oldfashioned names but somehow not all of them, plus some names might be from a different 'era' in different countries. On r/namenerds people seem to love Petra but in here in the Netherlands no one would ever think about naming their kid Petra. 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic