IGNORED

Mississipi hunters encourages to take one more deer

47of74

Mississippi hunters are being encouraged to take one more deer in the season.

Hunters in Mississippi are being urged to help thin the deer population in the state.

Despite drought conditions in the state, wildlife experts said there are record numbers of deer in the woods.

Bow hunting season is currently underway, and the woods are reportedly crawling with deer.

Experts are estimating that 1.5 million deer are roaming the state forests, which is more than the land can handle.

Well having done some vehicular deer hunting in the past I'm down with that. 

Pretty sure cars and trucks are the primary predators of mule deer in the area I'm in right now (SW Colorado).  

I don't think this area has an excessive number of deer, though.  I live adjacent to a large open area.  There were 2 does and their fawns that checked in every evening and ate apples that were thrown out for them. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2023 at 6:56 PM, Howl said:

Pretty sure cars and trucks are the primary predators of mule deer in the area I'm in right now (SW Colorado).  

I don't think this area has an excessive number of deer, though.  I live adjacent to a large open area.  There were 2 does and their fawns that checked in every evening and ate apples that were thrown out for them. 

I'm not sure if I mentioned here or not but I just about took a deer when I was down in Iowa.  Fortunately he was far enough ahead and I was able to slow a little bit that he got across the road.  And no I wouldn't have saved the venison if I wasn't so lucky.