IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 47

Coconut Flan

I don’t really think that JB and Michelle want any of their kids to stay single for the purpose of running their household/taking care of them in their old age. I think they know that some how, some way, if they need help, they’ll get it. I think they’d prefer all of their kids to marry and produce arrows. So the fact that Jana doesn’t seem to be pressured by them to get into a marriage she’s not 100% sure about actually strikes me as a positive about JB/Mich.

On one of Joy's videos where she interviewed the younger sisters, Jennifer talked about wanting to raise miniature cows, so she seems into this stuff too. Can someone tell me why people raise goats? Is it just the cuteness factor?

At one point in the last couple of years, there was some speculation that Johannah and Carver Bowers might be interested in each other. Now it’s interesting to see him married to an 18 year old living on her parents’ “plantation.” That would been interesting to see him living on the Duggar compound yucking it up in pickup trucks and ATVs with James and Jackson. I’m hoping that Johannah is way too nice of a person and wouldn’t have even considered Carver seriously.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, JDuggs said:

On one of Joy's videos where she interviewed the younger sisters, Jennifer talked about wanting to raise miniature cows, so she seems into this stuff too. Can someone tell me why people raise goats? Is it just the cuteness factor?

I don't know about goats, but I do know that Jennifer was always into animals.  At one point she expressed wanting to be a veterinarian and even had her own guinea pig named "Nibbles". 

In an alternate universe, Jennifer, now 17, would be entering her senior year at an agricultural high school with a concentration in small animal or large animal science and contemplating whether to attend college with a major suitable for attending veterinary school in the future, or attend community college in a two year veterinary technician program to get immersed in the career with a long-range goal of attending veterinary school.

Damn, these kids were robbed of so many opportunities.  So sinful.  

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

11 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Some people raise goats for their milk which is made into cheese and added to soap or drink it as an alternative to cow's milk. 

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, JDuggs said:

…Can someone tell me why people raise goats? Is it just the cuteness factor?

Where I live they sometimes bring in herds of goats to devour the underbrush & theoretically reduce the wildfire risk. They are big & smelly & not at all ‘cute’ IMO & although the areas they’ve grazed are indeed cleared of brush after they’re gone, it doesn’t take long for the brush to regrow & it seems to me poison oak is first to return & covers even more land than before the goats grazed.

I’m no expert, but goats are raised for their meat & milk/cheese since they are hardy animals & will eat anything. Some species of goats are raised for their yarn. They were one of the earliest domesticated animals, only dogs were domesticated earlier.

But Bates/Duggars keeping a couple of goats is unlikely to be for any reason other than the cuteness factor IMO.

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I haven’t seen the video, but this conversation makes me wonder if she’s trying to be ( inspired by) Mommy Farmer.  MF has miniature goats ( and frequently says don’t get goats), chickens, ducks  geese, a couple of ponies, a pair of pigs, barns cats and a trio of dogs,  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Does it seem likely that the Duggar girls or Erin Bates are actually milking their goats? That seems like it would be a big chore.

I don't believe we've seen any evidence that Erin and Chad milk their goats.

PS I was just on holiday in Greece and had goat's milk ice cream for the first time. Yum!!!

• Upvote 3

On 7/1/2024 at 11:12 PM, JDuggs said:

I don’t really think that JB and Michelle want any of their kids to stay single for the purpose of running their household/taking care of them in their old age. I think they know that some how, some way, if they need help, they’ll get it. I think they’d prefer all of their kids to marry and produce arrows. So the fact that Jana doesn’t seem to be pressured by them to get into a marriage she’s not 100% sure about actually strikes me as a positive about JB/Mich.

At one point in the last couple of years, there was some speculation that Johannah and Carver Bowers might be interested in each other. Now it’s interesting to see him married to an 18 year old living on her parents’ “plantation.” That would been interesting to see him living on the Duggar compound yucking it up in pickup trucks and ATVs with James and Jackson. I’m hoping that Johannah is way too nice of a person and wouldn’t have even considered Carver seriously.

Goats are useful for eating grass if you have a lot of land. Could be other reasons, but that's one I know of 

• Upvote 2

On 7/1/2024 at 10:12 PM, JDuggs said:

I've been raising goats since 1998 and can't tell you. You just fall in love with their personalities, with the hope of new life each spring, the planning for improvements. . . it's like any passion. Either you're similarly afflicted or you don't get it. In my defense, it's a genetic affliction. I'm the 4th generation.

There's different types of goats. As someone mentioned, there are goats who are raised for their fiber: mohair or cashmere. My grandfather and great-grandfather raised Angora goats which produce mohair. There are goats raised for their meat- one of the healthier meats for you- which is what my 93-year-old grandfather currently raises as getting on the ground to shear 200 Angoras twice a year got to be too difficult for him. There are dairy goats (which my mom and I have and yes, need to be milked twice a day). More goat milk is consumed than cow milk world wide. Makes really good ice cream and I really like it for dairy based soups. And there are goats that are kept for pets like what Chad and Erin seem to do. They have the funniest personalities and are wicked smart. https://www.facebook.com/DadSaysJokes/videos/821971572896865 People enjoy showing their goats and competing against each other for grand champion. Next week there will be 4115 goats traveling from all over the US--California to Maine, Minnesota to Texas--to Louisville, KY for the American Dairy Goat Association National Show. I am not alone in my affliction, LOL.image.png.ecef6cea092f9a07f6c7152ca696dfde.png

Edited by nolongerIFBx
expound (probably too much!)
  • Love 9