IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 47

Coconut Flan

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s the biggest factor. He’s an adult. He’s in his 20s and can make his own decisions for his relationship. Parents shouldn’t have any say in their adult children’s relationship boundaries. And the fact that JB thinks he should have a say is beyond bonkers. Especially something as benign as kissing before marriage. You can’t get pregnant. You can’t get an STD. The most you’ll get is a cold or the flu. But you can easily spread that without kissing. JB and Michelle kissed before marriage and they say their marriage is wonderful. Yet they push their kids not to. 

It reminds me so much of the fundies who went to college and got a good job based on their college degree. And then tell their kids college is of the devil and they can’t go. 

This reminds me a bit of my mom - I know they did NOTHING beyond kissing before they got married. VERY religious Catholic etc. And mom did drill it into my brain that s3x was for marriage, kissing was for special things like prom (?)etc. But yeah... I mean - I fooled around a lot later than my peers did (but I fooled around more than my parents did) - but I didn't take kindly to mom giving me crap for the guy I was dating spending the weekend with me - IN MY APARTMENT - THAT I PAID FOR ALL ON MY OWN - at like... 24. She was horrified that he spent the weekend (she had called and I said we were waiting for my new bed to get delivered - I'd just moved and was upgrading - all on my own dime). She asked who "we" were and I told her and she was horrified. She asked if I was sleeping with him - I asked if she was sleeping with Dad. She said it was none of my business and I said "exactly - it's not my business and what I do isn't YOUR business". 

She was quite distressed - saying that he was an older man and clearly taking advantage of me. (He was - and is - cuz I did marry him eventually) - 5 years older than I am. Which is the same age gap as my parents so... nice try. 

Ugh. Crazy religious parents... 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 7

On 7/7/2024 at 10:55 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s the biggest factor. He’s an adult. He’s in his 20s and can make his own decisions for his relationship. Parents shouldn’t have any say in their adult children’s relationship boundaries. And the fact that JB thinks he should have a say is beyond bonkers. Especially something as benign as kissing before marriage. You can’t get pregnant. You can’t get an STD. The most you’ll get is a cold or the flu. But you can easily spread that without kissing. JB and Michelle kissed before marriage and they say their marriage is wonderful. Yet they push their kids not to. 

It reminds me so much of the fundies who went to college and got a good job based on their college degree. And then tell their kids college is of the devil and they can’t go. 

Why do you all think the Bateseseseses encouraged their kids to try college, or at least the sorry Crown version of it? Maybe a bid for them to get positions in IBLP or marry someone high up there?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Kiki03910 said:

Why do you all think the Bateseseseses encouraged their kids to try college, or at least the sorry Crown version of it? Maybe a bid for them to get positions in IBLP or marry someone high up there?

Kelly likes to act like she prizes education. But they limit it so much to just Crown. Which is near their hometown so everyone can commute. And it’s a very strict conservative college. The only one who went to an actual college is Michael. And she was already married and older than 18-22. I think Kelly just does it to show people her kids are educated. But it proves nothing imo. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, gobucks said:

Is Liberty U where Carlin went accredited?

Yes. Very conservative but accredited.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

49 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

Tiffany allegedly has a Master’s Degree from Liberty. I still think she’s a vapid nitwit and I’d  love to read one of her grad school papers. 
PS I’ve always been surprised that no Bates or Duggar has gone off to Pensacola Christian College yet. 

• Upvote 9

36 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Tiffany allegedly has a Master’s Degree from Liberty. I still think she’s a vapid nitwit and I’d  love to read one of her grad school papers. 
PS I’ve always been surprised that no Bates or Duggar has gone off to Pensacola Christian College yet. 

Isn't PCC where Kelton and Bobby went?

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, EmiSue said:

Yes, I think that’s where they met. If it wasn’t there, then it was some other Bible college in Florida. 

4 hours ago, EmiSue said:

She also didn’t attend in person. I don’t think Kelly would allow a daughter to attend Liberty in person. They would have to live away from home unmarried.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, EmiSue said:

Yes, and that is why I am surprised no Bates has attended yet.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

Yes, and that is why I am surprised no Bates has attended yet.

I think it’s because none of the Bates boys seem to care about going to college. And the girls aren’t allowed to go to college away from home when they are young and single. 

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Tiff’s bachelors is from Liberty and her masters is from Grand Canyon University, both online.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I don't think they have an online undergraduate degree (although you can take courses as dual enrollment with the high school program). Couldn't let those kids out from under the umbrella of protection. https://www.pcci.edu/grad/onlinelearning/

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it’s because none of the Bates boys seem to care about going to college. And the girls aren’t allowed to go to college away from home when they are young and single. 

Even the boys that have gonne to college chose Crown too. To be honest i imagine its just more convenient and cheaper to go there since they can stay home and dont need to pay for an accomodation.

Both Isaiah and Trace did the 1 year bible certificate, but they have mentioned in one of the siblings vlogs that Isaiah is back at school this year, i think something bible related again. He may be the only one of the Bates kids to go into preaching.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, llucie said:

Even the boys that have gonne to college chose Crown too. To be honest i imagine its just more convenient and cheaper to go there since they can stay home and dont need to pay for an accomodation.

Both Isaiah and Trace did the 1 year bible certificate, but they have mentioned in one of the siblings vlogs that Isaiah is back at school this year, i think something bible related again. He may be the only one of the Bates kids to go into preaching.

Yeah, I read somewhere that Isaiah wanted to be a preacher. At least he may get some formal training, unlike his blow hard father?

• Upvote 4

Is Isiah the little kid who talked like a Faulkner novel?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

One of them wanted to be a chef, when Erin was initially cooking (and fresh vegetables were a new revelation /s). Was that Isaiah? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurkerOG said:

One of them wanted to be a chef, when Erin was initially cooking (and fresh vegetables were a new revelation /s). Was that Isaiah? 

If it wasn’t Isaiah, then it was warden or Jackson

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurkerOG said:

It was Warden, but its very possible that it was a storyline for the show because he doesnt seem at all interested in cooking nowadays.

• Upvote 8

On 7/7/2024 at 6:55 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s the biggest factor. He’s an adult. He’s in his 20s and can make his own decisions for his relationship. Parents shouldn’t have any say in their adult children’s relationship boundaries. And the fact that JB thinks he should have a say is beyond bonkers.

I fell down a rabbit hole and read about "Patria potestas" (Latin: “power of a father”) in ancient Rome. And I feel so reminded of JB...

The legal potestas of the pater familias over his wife depended on the form of marriage between them. In the Early Republic, a wife was "handed over" from the legal control of her father to the legal control of (the father of) her husband in the form of marriage cum manu (Latin cum manu means "with hand"). If the man divorced his wife, he or his father had to give the dowry and the wife back to the pater familias of the wife's former family.[12] By the Late Republic, manus marriage had become rare, and a woman legally remained part of her birth family, under the hand of their pater familias*.[13]

Adult filii remained under the authority of their pater and could not themselves acquire the rights of a pater familias while he lived. Legally, any property acquired by individual family members (sons, daughters or slaves) was acquired for the family estate: the pater familias held sole rights to its disposal and sole responsibility for the consequences, including personal forfeiture of rights and property through debt.

Jill´s story comes to mind, the fact that she was still expected to be under her parents´ (father´s) authority, even after she was married, also the fact that JB held on to all the money from the show, even when dealing with his adult children. It seems strange to us that it does not seem to matter to JB at all, whether his children are minors or full-grown adults, his rules still apply. But it is completely in line with the concept of pater familias. As long as he lives, what he says goes.

Considering that this way of life was practiced by heathen Romans 2000 years ago, one could wonder how a modern day American Christian could think that would be right model for him to emulate. Well...

Outside of the Roman context, various slavery regimes in world history have adopted the concept of pater familias to structure the legal, cultural, and social relationships between slaveowners and enslaved people. [...]

In the context of plantation slavery in the antebellum U.S. South, slaveowning planters developed a rhetorical defense of slavery as a benevolent, paternalistic institution based on the ancient Roman model of the pater familias.[26] Some planters employed the concept as a legal protectionary measure, instructing renters to whom they “hired out” their enslaved laborers to “treat” them “as good pater familias,” in an effort to stymie abusive practices.[27] Others used the concept to rationalize planter rule, claiming themselves sovereigns of their households who provided for all constituent members, and demanding their loyalty and labor in return.[28] Drawing on the Roman precedent in this way, these planters claimed that their enslaved laborers were their “dependents,” who ultimately benefitted from the paternalistic ordering of the household. Southern newspapers and print media repeatedly promoted this idea in order to square the intrinsic brutality that defined the institution of slavery with the democratic ideals the nation was supposedly founded on, often developing this paternalistic ideology to irrational heights and ignoring the contradictions that it masked.[29][30][31] This paternalistic ideology persisted after the legal abolition of slavery, as white employers and political leaders in the South attempted to maintain a hierarchical socioeconomic class status over formerly enslaved persons, as well as women and poor laborers, whom they viewed as “dependents,” thereby expanding the Roman household model of pater familias to the level of broader society.[32][33]

Turns out JB proudly maintains the tradition of plantation slaveholders. Why am I not surprised.

*bolding in the quotes is all mine

Edited by St.Clara
  • Upvote 6
  • Disgust 4
  • Thank You 3

Laura and Katie are checking people in at Fort Rock this week. Jed is there too of course:

EB8E0DD1-DB64-4E4A-B854-5B073DC417D2.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

On 7/18/2024 at 9:41 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Laura and Katie are checking people in at Fort Rock this week. Jed is there too of course:

EB8E0DD1-DB64-4E4A-B854-5B073DC417D2.jpeg

I read that as dipshitsummit. 😂

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 26

8 hours ago, yeahthatsme74 said:

You win!!!!  What I don't know but I bow down in adoration before you

Spoiler

bow down taylor swift GIF

Edited by Coconut Flan
Animated gif.
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, yeahthatsme74 said:

Potayto potahto 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, yeahthatsme74 said:

Accurate!

• Haha 2

If you look at more pictures from the dipshit summit, you can spot Hannie, Jennie, Jordan, Josie, Jackson, and Mackenzie. Mack gets to wear pants while her four aunts must wear skirts still:

01422D94-2B13-4001-8478-7EA16A1AD4CB.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic