IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 47

Coconut Flan

On 9/1/2024 at 2:04 AM, JDuggs said:

Carver Bowers married a different 18 year old, Haley Paul. Those two are discussed a lot on the Bontrager/Bowers forum because Haley is very active and annoying (along with beyond cool Carver) on Instagram.

Her instagram has 'plantationlife' in the username, and that tells me all I need to know about her.

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 1

8 hours ago, Tenyari said:

Her instagram has 'plantationlife' in the username, and that tells me all I need to know about her.

oh yes. And people have challenged her on it and she doubles down by saying that plantations are just part of history where she lives (North Florida) and she doesn't understand why it is a problematic name.🙄  And never forget that her husband Carver attended the January 6 insurrection.  Her mom has posted recently  that Crockett Bowers has basically moved into the Paul compound now. [If the Bowers are still living around Troy, AL, they are a couple hours from the Pauls]. I wonder if he has done it to make more room for the secret couple, Charlie and Heistheway, back at the Bowers compound.

• Upvote 9

28 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

oh yes. And people have challenged her on it and she doubles down by saying that plantations are just part of history where she lives (North Florida) and she doesn't understand why it is a problematic name.🙄  And never forget that her husband Carver attended the January 6 insurrection.  Her mom has posted recently  that Crockett Bowers has basically moved into the Paul compound now. [If the Bowers are still living around Troy, AL, they are a couple hours from the Pauls]. I wonder if he has done it to make more room for the secret couple, Charlie and Heistheway, back at the Bowers compound.

It’s Charlie and Pelaiah. Heistheway is still single. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Heistheway is still single. 

Gosh, I wonder why!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s Charlie and Pelaiah. Heistheway is still single. 

I don't know this family - but ... is that someone's name? Heistheway? Or a nickname like JimBoob?

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Gosh, I wonder why!

She’s actually so pretty and she seems like a great kid. But yes, that name….

5 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I don't know this family - but ... is that someone's name? Heistheway? Or a nickname like JimBoob?

She’s the oldest daughter of Duggar friends named the Whites. She has by far the craziest name of all her siblings. I believe they have 10 kids and some of the other names are ordinary Bible names. But poor Heistheway got a raw deal. Pelaiah is second born and even though it’s a very uncommon name, it’s kind of pretty. Pelaiah married Charlie Bowers and we believe the Whites disapprove. They don’t mention a thing about the marriage on their social media. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

31 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She’s the oldest daughter of Duggar friends named the Whites. She has by far the craziest name of all her siblings. I believe they have 10 kids and some of the other names are ordinary Bible names. But poor Heistheway got a raw deal. Pelaiah is second born and even though it’s a very uncommon name, it’s kind of pretty. Pelaiah married Charlie Bowers and we believe the Whites disapprove. They don’t mention a thing about the marriage on their social media. 

Wow - I thought Spurgeon was the worst... 
Pelaiah isn't great either but... Heistheway is just mean.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

Yeah, Spurgeon and Pelaiah are terrible, but Heistheway is actually downright criminal. 

• Upvote 12

I personally see Spurgeon and Heistheway as very similar. Their parents were young fundies when naming their first child so they went balls to the wall with the name. Then I think there must’ve been some regret because all the younger siblings are nowhere near as crazy as the first. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

14 hours ago, Tenyari said:

Just looked at her IG. Like a junior high girl would do

Holy Hell! Another kid stuck with "Spurgeon"--I'm going down the Bowers/Bontrager rabbit trail! I get it--he was a theologian but the names in these two families. Screaming Macaulay Culkin GIF by Home Alone

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, Tenyari said:

For the foreigners in the group, please explain. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1

During the times of slavery in the United States the enslaved worked on plantations. There would typically be a large ornate house, lots of fields, and cabins or shocks in which the slaves would live. By using plantation life, it is like a dog whistle of lettuce return to the time of plantations.

• Upvote 13

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Looking at the mother's Instagram, it's so clear that Pelaiah was never the favorite child (maybe the scapegoat even, but I don't know enough about them to claim that) and Heistheway is the golden child (she seems like a sweetheart though). Always with the "sweet, precious Heistheway", and Pelaiah as barely an afterthought. I do wonder what happened with that marriage, how it came to be, why the family seems to be against it, why neither family acknowledged the wedding itself, etc. Her in-laws at least seem to like and support her, but there's a story there.

8 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

For the foreigners in the group, please explain. :)

I'm a foreigner in this group too, haha. But like the other user said, it's a dog whistle basically. It has a really bad connotation. Maybe you've recently seen online that people call Blake Lively "plantation princess"?

Edited by Tenyari
  • Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, Tenyari said:

Looking at the mother's Instagram, it's so clear that Pelaiah was never the favorite child (maybe the scapegoat even, but I don't know enough about them to claim that) and Heistheway is the golden child (she seems like a sweetheart though). Always with the "sweet, precious Heistheway", and Pelaiah as barely an afterthought. I do wonder what happened with that marriage, how it came to be, why the family seems to be against it, why neither family acknowledged the wedding itself, etc. Her in-laws at least seem to like and support her, but there's a story there.

I'm a foreigner in this group too, haha. But like the other user said, it's a dog whistle basically. It has a really bad connotation. Maybe you've recently seen online that people call Blake Lively "plantation princess"?

N FL is like lower Alabama lol / sad. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I think it’s so weird when people romanticize plantations. Like the only reason why there was this big beautiful house is because of slave labor. That’s the literal truth. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds have apologized for getting married at a plantation. They claimed ignorance. But the place they got married at had literal slave quarters still on the property. And labeled as such. How is that not a reminder that this place was built by slaves? 

I’ll add that I don’t think all plantations should be completely torn down and all that. To me that’s almost like people want to forget they even existed. What I would like is people to actually remember the history of the places. And not romanticize them. So like if you make the plantation into a bed and breakfast, make it educational for the people who stay there. Let them learn about what happened there. And learn some history of the US and how it still affects us today. 

• Upvote 15

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurkerOG said:

What does this mean?

I only know sweet home Alabama 😄.

• Upvote 2

If maintained they'll be beautiful buildings and lots of space for an outdoor ceremony, so makes sense people would want to used them for a wedding venue.  I wouldn't want to step in that, though, and honestly wouldn't feel like making my wedding about educating people on a pretty tragic period in history.

I might not have known the connotations if I got married in my early 20s because I was a bit naive, but I didn't and I don't live in the south anyway.  Unlike Haley, I try to take correction when I learn new information.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Tenyari said:

What does this mean?

I only know sweet home Alabama 😄.

🙂

Part geographic location, part ... ideology /  ..mannerisms for lack of a better word in my brain rtn lol

And no, not all southerners are the stereotype, but that area... Tracks. 

More later, back to work! 😇

Edited by LongTimeLurkerOG
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, LongTimeLurkerOG said:

FL= Florida so I think they mean Northern Florida. Northern Florida is like Alabama.  Alabama has a bad reputation and is often made fun of.  It's not flattering to Florida or Northern Florida to be compared to it. Here's an article about Alabama (link). Northern Florida is also where Destin is. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

During the times of slavery in the United States the enslaved worked on plantations. There would typically be a large ornate house, lots of fields, and cabins or shocks in which the slaves would live. By using plantation life, it is like a dog whistle of lettuce return to the time of plantations.

What does this mean???? "like a dog whistle of lettuce" 

Thank you

19 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

like a dog whistle of lettuce

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

What does this mean???? "like a dog whistle of lettuce" 

Thank you

A fatal error of trying to do talk to text while I was in bed without my glasses. 

Like a dog whistle of "Let us return to the time of plantations."

The brain moves much faster than the finger so I do talk to text way too much.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

FL= Florida so I think they mean Northern Florida. Northern Florida is like Alabama.  Alabama has a bad reputation and is often made fun of.  It's not flattering to Florida or Northern Florida to be compared to it. Here's an article about Alabama (link). Northern Florida is also where Destin is. 

Yep, north Florida.

and I say that as a native Floridian 😏 Very different experiences/culture/feel, depending on where you are in the state. I blame the transplants and snowbirds LOL

Translation:

"snowbirds" come down from the north U.S. and Canada to visit short term; typically during the winter since it's comparatively warmer here most winters.

"transplants" move here from another state ...and typically bitch all the time about how whatever is so much better wherever they came from (usually NY and Chicago) ...So IMO go back then! and the terrible driving! which Floridians get blamed for but look at the license plates 😁 (I have a family member who was a transplant, dealt with Many Many Many at work for Decades, and exPOS ) Thank you for coming to my TED talk. Lol

I've been to Monticello in VA for the tour of Thomas Jefferson's place, the slave quarters, and they have family info (Sally Hemmings, Jefferson descendants). Pretty, disturbing, and informative. 

If you haven't read any, read some slave narratives. 

• Upvote 5

22 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

OMG how embarrassment I so see it now 

I promise you I was having a stupid day not a stupid life 

out of curiosity how do current owners of plantations work around the history with regards to social media 

Does this person with the handle actually live on an old plantation? I am assuming by their handle they are promoting some way of life living on one, if so could he/she just used the name of the house rather than the loaded word plantation?

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Love 4

44 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

OMG how embarrassment I so see it now 

I promise you I was having a stupid day not a stupid life 

out of curiosity how do current owners of plantations work around the history with regards to social media 

Does this person with the handle actually live on an old plantation? I am assuming by their handle they are promoting some way of life living on one, if so could he/she just used the name of the house rather than the loaded word plantation?

When she says plantation life I take it as someone who wished she lived in the time of plantations because in her mind she would automatically have lived on a plantation. It's definitely a racist thing but it's also kind of a classist thing as well. In all likelihood, even if she would have lived at the time of plantations, she could just as easily have been a poor white and probably would have been a poor white.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it’s so weird when people romanticize plantations. Like the only reason why there was this big beautiful house is because of slave labor. That’s the literal truth. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds have apologized for getting married at a plantation. They claimed ignorance. But the place they got married at had literal slave quarters still on the property. And labeled as such. How is that not a reminder that this place was built by slaves? 

I’ll add that I don’t think all plantations should be completely torn down and all that. To me that’s almost like people want to forget they even existed. What I would like is people to actually remember the history of the places. And not romanticize them. So like if you make the plantation into a bed and breakfast, make it educational for the people who stay there. Let them learn about what happened there. And learn some history of the US and how it still affects us today. 

Some former plantations are starting to do just that. Here's an interesting NPR story:

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/09/672349672/a-former-plantation-begins-to-tell-a-fuller-story-of-slavery-in-america

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic