IGNORED

Lawson and Tiffany 10: Grifting for Children's Toys on the Newborn Registry

Coconut Flan

Part 3 of birth story is up. This one is somewhat more interesting, since we get lots of cute baby footage. 

They move to a regular hospital room. Boy, do they have a lot of luggage! Tiffany's parents come in and hold the baby. Then Gil, Kelly and Callie come in. Kelly takes right over. She has the sense to use lots of hand sanitizer and makes Callie do it, too. Everyone cuddles the baby and poses for pictures. Lawson says something about four US presidents being named William. Gil prays. Tiffany, sitting in the hospital bed, is absolutely radiant. She eats sushi. 

Next morning. They tell us they didn't get much sleep because the hospital staff kept coming in to check vitals and wake Tiff and the baby to eat. Tiffany says he's nursing well. Lydia takes pictures of them as a family of three. 

Nathan, Esther and Kenna arrive. Kenna is initially upset when Esther holds the baby. She thinks she should be the one being held. Eventually she warms up and holds the baby, with considerable help from Lawson and Esther, though when Lawson asks if she wants to give the baby back to her mother, she thrusts him at Esther. They tell her she'll be getting a baby brother soon. 

Michaela and Brandon show up. She made the hat and swaddle, which are lovely. There is also a gorgeous knitted blanket; I wish they'd said who made it. More baby cuddles. Michaela asks what they're calling him, and Lawson confirms they're calling him Will. 

We end with baby Will being given his first bath. The nurse explains what she's doing. She unswaddles Will and he immediately starts to cry. He obviously prefers being swaddled. She swaddles him again before washing his hair, which he seems to like. He is awake but calm for this. Then Tiffany brushes his hair.  End of video. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9

I thought Kenna was adorable. She did not seem interested in sharing her mom 😂. I love when little ones are allowed to be real. 

There were a few very sweet moments in this video, like Lydia brushing Tiffany’s hair and helping her clean up for the photos. Also, when Michaela looked at Lawson and said “I can’t believe you’re a dad”, it just felt very real and sweet. 

They all made a big deal of the baby looking like Tiffany, especially the hair (which is beautiful), with Michaela saying that she hoped the baby would look just like Tiffany (while Brandon made a joke about the baby looking like Lawson, which Lawson quickly sidestepped).

I thought Gil and Kelly did a better job of paying attention to Tiffany and checking in on her than they did some of their daughters (I remember they seemed to straight up I ignore Katie and go straight for the baby).

also, it seems like they didn’t announce the name until birth (although I guess Kelly knew they were considering William) and both Gil and Tiffany’s dad were very emotional about it. I checked and the packing video where Tiffany accidentally leaked the name was posted right around when he was actually born, so it wasn’t pre-leaked. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 8

New video. Going home from the hospital. Another one which could have been condensed to a couple minutes.

They have been in the hospital 2-3 days (it’s unclear from Lawson’s narration, but William appears to be 2 days old). They rate the hospital 10 out of 10, while commenting that the food wasn’t great. Talk about who the baby looks like. Nathan films as they get ready to head for home. Lawson, holding the baby in one arm, attempts to figure out the baby carrier. Tiffany directs him as Nathan, more experienced as a father, laughs. I yell “put the baby down!” at the screen. William seems to be a chill baby; he doesn’t fuss until they have to take the swaddle off to put him in the carrier. 

They make it out to the car and Lawson has similar issues with fitting the carrier into the car sets. Eventually the nurse passes him. He then lifts Tiffany into the car. As they drive home, they run into a nasty-looking storm cloud. Lawson worries it might be a tornado. Tiffany cautions him to drive carefully. Lawson tells us Nathan and Esther’s boy is due in 10 weeks and they’ve suggested the name William Nathaniel so the kids will be name twins. Please, no. 

At home, Esther has put up “it’s a boy” decorations in the front yard and living room. Lawson lifts Tiffany up the front steps. She seems fragile after the birth. They get the baby into the house and Lawson removes him from the carrier. Lawson informs us the baby has just pooped. End with the baby sneezing as they change him and Tiffany saying how cute it is. 

On the whole, they come off as normal first-time parents, fascinated by everything their baby does and enthusiastic but inexperienced.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 6

I was so convinced that his first name would be William, but they would call him by his middle name, I keep thinking of him as Daniel. So weird. I’m so curious to see how a newborn affects their lifestyle. They don’t have any nearby sister-aunts to pop over and babysit like rest of the family has.

Have they ever used their camper after they made a video about getting it all fixed up?

• Upvote 3

On 6/15/2024 at 7:52 PM, marmalade said:

I am neither hot nor irritable, and I have absolutely zero desire to support their lifestyle by clicking on their lame ass videos.

I’m sorry this was ages and ages ago but for me, who’s been in the throes of perimenopause all summer, the idea of being neither hot nor irritable is just like WOW WHAT A THOUGHT, thank you for reminding me that this exists 💙

• Love 6

1 hour ago, JDuggs said:

I was so convinced that his first name would be William, but they would call him by his middle name, I keep thinking of him as Daniel. So weird. I’m so curious to see how a newborn affects their lifestyle. They don’t have any nearby sister-aunts to pop over and babysit like rest of the family has.

Have they ever used their camper after they made a video about getting it all fixed up?

If they have, they haven't vlogged about it. 

I'm also curious to see how they adapt to a newborn. They seem to think the baby isn't going to affect their lifestyle at all. I think they're in for a bit of a shock. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

I’m sorry this was ages and ages ago but for me, who’s been in the throes of perimenopause all summer, the idea of being neither hot nor irritable is just like WOW WHAT A THOUGHT, thank you for reminding me that this exists 💙

The "hot" part is definitely perimenopause/menopause. The "irritable", though? I felt like it was more hitting the wall of "No more bullshit FFS."

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I don't think so, but maybe it will house Callie or Addallllllllleee or what ever sistermom has been dispatched to help.

• Upvote 4

On 8/2/2024 at 5:56 AM, CanadianMamam said:

Per Esther, it appears they are calling him Will.

I would have bet on „Liam“! 

• Upvote 5

They did a road trip before Christmas in the camper, I think they may also use it when they go to the farm as it has been stated that a lot of the siblings use campers there as there is not enough beds for everyone. 

16 hours ago, postscript said:

If they have, they haven't vlogged about it. 

I'm also curious to see how they adapt to a newborn. They seem to think the baby isn't going to affect their lifestyle at all. I think they're in for a bit of a shock. 

Honestly, it depends on the baby. Our first didn’t Change anything for us. He was super chill and could sleep anywhere and we would bring him out to visit people, even to game nights at the pub and he would sleep in his stroller, happy as a clam. Even as a toddler he was chill and well behaved in public and could eat in restaurants without an issue. We still travelled and hung out with our friends, etc. it was when we had baby #2 that everything change. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

I was surprised that Lawson as such a know-it-all when the baby was first born. When Tiffany seemed surprised that the baby was purple, Lawson reassured her that it would go away quickly. How would he know that? I wouldn't expect any of the Bates women to allow Lawson in the birthing room so quickly after birth, since the Mom might still be receiving medical care, and not be fully covered up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

They did a road trip before Christmas in the camper, I think they may also use it when they go to the farm as it has been stated that a lot of the siblings use campers there as there is not enough beds for everyone. 

Honestly, it depends on the baby. Our first didn’t Change anything for us. He was super chill and could sleep anywhere and we would bring him out to visit people, even to game nights at the pub and he would sleep in his stroller, happy as a clam. Even as a toddler he was chill and well behaved in public and could eat in restaurants without an issue. We still travelled and hung out with our friends, etc. it was when we had baby #2 that everything change. 

You are very lucky. I’ve never met a single mom who said their first kid didn’t change their lives much. My nephew was a first born and was the chillest baby I ever saw but my sister’s life was still changed. My life changed drastically both times I had a baby. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, moreorlessnu said:

I was surprised that Lawson as such a know-it-all when the baby was first born. When Tiffany seemed surprised that the baby was purple, Lawson reassured her that it would go away quickly. How would he know that? I wouldn't expect any of the Bates women to allow Lawson in the birthing room so quickly after birth, since the Mom might still be receiving medical care, and not be fully covered up.

His knowledge might come from visiting babies soon after the birth.  It might be that his family discussed things about babies in front of him.  It might be that he read up about newborns.  It may come from Kelly delivering most of her children at home. It also might be something he said to calm her down or make her feel better. "Don't worry; it won't last." 

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You are very lucky. I’ve never met a single mom who said their first kid didn’t change their lives much. My nephew was a first born and was the chillest baby I ever saw but my sister’s life was still changed. My life changed drastically both times I had a baby. 

This is one of those  things where I wonder ifs situation does impact, although I have a lot of friends who were in similar boats with number one and found more changes from the later kids. But most of my friends do have very good support systems, I live in Canada where you get a year of parental leave, etc.

I mean, my life did change obviously, but not drastically as many as other peoples and we still did travel, go out to eat, etc. and having a baby didn’t change any of that. It did make the adjustment from one to two harder because I had gotten used  to just taking my eldest places and with two (and the personality of my middle), it just wasn’t possible. I know I am very lucky and am privileged enough that my children have to this day (and I have a teenager) been left with a babysitter who wasn’t family or an extremely close friend. 

I think Lawson and Tiffany with a big family and no jobs may have an easier adjustment than most. They don’t have to accommodate jobs, etc. 

33 minutes ago, moreorlessnu said:

His mother had like 11 home births in his life time (wasn’t Addallee the last), even if he wasn’t physically present for the birth, I am sure he picked up on the terminology and was used to see brand new babies. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 4

My grandchildren have never been left with non-family as a babysitter.  They're old enough now that they have spent the night with friends, but as a visit not for babysitting.  There's a reason they made sure to buy a house with plenty of bedrooms.  

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

2 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

My grandchildren have never been left with non-family as a babysitter.  They're old enough now that they have spent the night with friends, but as a visit not for babysitting.  There's a reason they made sure to buy a house with plenty of bedrooms.  

It definitely makes a difference. I am an only child and my mom is fairly young (in her 60s), but retired and she lives nearby and she loves to take my children. So I have been able to do a lot of things I might not have otherwise. 

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I’ve never left my children with a babysitter and they are 9 and 11. My youngest was never away from me for more than 8 hours until he was 5. He never spent a night without me until he was 5. And it was hard as hell. I look back and wish I had hired someone just occasionally because it was very rare for a family member to watch my kids for a few hours. But I think I was overwhelmed by the prospect of hiring someone and felt some sort of ridiculous guilt for possibly paying $15 an hour just so I could get a little time to myself. 

Conservatives shit all over women who are child free by choice (JD Vance and his childless cat lady insult). Yet they won’t ask them WHY. Here’s a hint, many might actually want a kid if housing prices were not through the roof, had universal healthcare, had paid maternity leave longer than 6 weeks, and affordable childcare. Motherhood is HARD in the US and the government could make it much easier. But they constantly vote not to. And then get pissed when no one wants kids. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 15
  • Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve never left my children with a babysitter and they are 9 and 11. My youngest was never away from me for more than 8 hours until he was 5. He never spent a night without me until he was 5. But it’s was hard as hell. I look back and wish I had hired someone just occasionally because it was very rare for a family member to watch my kids for a few hours. But I think I was overwhelmed by the prospect of hiring someone and felt some sort of ridiculous guilt for possibly paying $15 an hour just so I could get a little time to myself. 

Conservatives shit all over women who are child free by choice (JD Vance and his childless cat lady insult). Yet they won’t ask them WHY. Here’s a hint, many might actually want a kid if housing prices were not through the roof, had universal healthcare, had pain maternity leave longer than 6 weeks, and affordable childcare. Motherhood is HARD in the US and the government could make it much easier. But they constantly cite not to. And then get pissed when no one wants kids. 

JD Vance is deranged individual who grew up in an extremely dysfunctional family (according to his own memoir). Also according to his memoir, he thinks poor people are lazy and just need to get it together (also in his memoir). He recently converted to Catholicism, and takes extreme positions based on his new religion (wanting to get rid of all contraception, etc.). 

I agree that child caring experience can vary wildly. My parents had very little family help.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

Trust me, there's a whole demographic of us moms who would KILL to be able to leave our kids with family members. I'm very much from the generation of "our parents didn't raise us, they sure aren't helping with their grandkids". Now I know full well it's not a grandparents job to help out, but growing up my husband and I both recall being with our grandparents ALL.THE.TIME. Weekends, extended stays here and there during the summer, etc. My mom was a SAHM until I was close to 13, so it wasn't a matter of them *needing* childcare for us - it's just how things were.

Now as a 39 year old mom of two small kids, I don't get a break unless I hire a babysitter. I'm a self employed SAHM, but my husband travels extensively for work so I'm here doing it all solo a lot of the time. Three sets of grandparents, and none of them overly involved (unless you count posting photos on facebook like they see them daily). And sadly, my high school and college girls are far better babysitters than the grandparents. They actually stick the schedule, follow the rules, and overall actively play and engage with the kids. I wish we were in a position to lean on family more. One thing I've come to realize as a parent is your family is often the village you make yourself. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 5

After I found my 8 month old in the middle of the street when we came home from an afternoon party, my MIL never was alone with one of my children again. Perhaps that's why I'm willing to give up so much to be with the grandchildren.  The other side of the family loves the kids and pitches in a lot along with the childfree auntie and uncle on our side.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

Bates Milestone:

Baby’s first time being used as a prop for daddy’s social media singing. This cute newborn will force you to listen to Lawson’s terrible songs. 

08806206-CF45-4B2C-8CBA-3C13B947753C.jpeg

• Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 10

I’m so repulsed by a shirtless Lawson. Just seeing his bare shoulders is...yuck. And I’m always careful to have the volume off when Lawson is singing.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

On 7/25/2024 at 8:24 PM, postscript said:

Lawson gives us a brief history of each hat. Lawson eliminates the first names. Choices are Samuel, John, William, Lawson and Carter.

Thank goodness Lawson put his own name twice in the choices!!!! For a second, I thought he was being humble. Don't want to be too out of character.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Bates Milestone:

Baby’s first time being used as a prop for daddy’s social media singing. This cute newborn will force you to listen to Lawson’s terrible songs. 

08806206-CF45-4B2C-8CBA-3C13B947753C.jpeg

Up until now I thought that Lawson is an okay singer. Not great, not as good as he seems to think himself, but okay. Not anymore. This is so out of tune I can’t believe he posted it. Is he deaf? Is Tiffany deaf? Oh, of course she would never hurt his ego. No wonder his music “career” is non-existent.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1