IGNORED

M is for Mama 18

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Don’t they have another huge fridge? I think AH mentioned that they had 2 now that they did the remodel. Just like they used to have 2 stoves, until they bought the 60 inch one and they currently have 2 dishwashers. If there’s one thing the Hs do well it’s overconsumption.

Yes. She got a new fridge even though their old one worked perfectly fine. So they moved the old one away so it was hidden somewhere and they still use it. 

• Upvote 3

You guys will laugh but I was born in the early 80s in the middle of nowhere in a town full of working class folks. If you had an extra fridge in the garage or basement, in my mind, you were RICH. Now I think it’s actually pretty common. Also if your kitchen fridge had water in the door, you were RICH. I still don’t have an extra fridge or one with water in the door! But a big reason for that is we live in an old house and I’m not about to run a waterline to the fridge. That seems like a waste of time and money. Our old fridge fully broke so I wasn’t about to put it in the basement for an extra fridge when we had to buy a new one. 

• Upvote 7

@JermajestyDuggar I think you and I are the same age.  When we bought our house 10 years ago there was a fridge with water in the door and an ice maker and I was pretty excited about it.  I really felt like we were moving up in the world!  Then the seller sold the fridge before she moved out and we didn't notice until we got to do a walk-through after she had left.

We negotiated a credit towards buying another fridge, but it wasn't enough for an exact replacement.  I may have been a bit of a brat and insisted on paying the extra to get my water/ice.  I had had my brush with being all "fancy" and I was not ready to have it ripped away from me!

We do have an extra freezer in the garage, but we got it cheap and I never associated it with being rich.  Almost the opposite.  Rich people can just go to the store every week and buy whatever they need or want.  Not rich folks like us plan ahead and buy things in bulk when an opportunity comes along.  (We actually got the freezer in 2020 when the shelves at the supermarket were empty and we were going the "whole half cow" route to make sure we had meat...)

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, 4boysmum said:

@JermajestyDuggar I think you and I are the same age.  When we bought our house 10 years ago there was a fridge with water in the door and an ice maker and I was pretty excited about it.  I really felt like we were moving up in the world!  Then the seller sold the fridge before she moved out and we didn't notice until we got to do a walk-through after she had left.

We negotiated a credit towards buying another fridge, but it wasn't enough for an exact replacement.  I may have been a bit of a brat and insisted on paying the extra to get my water/ice.  I had had my brush with being all "fancy" and I was not ready to have it ripped away from me!

We do have an extra freezer in the garage, but we got it cheap and I never associated it with being rich.  Almost the opposite.  Rich people can just go to the store every week and buy whatever they need or want.  Not rich folks like us plan ahead and buy things in bulk when an opportunity comes along.  (We actually got the freezer in 2020 when the shelves at the supermarket were empty and we were going the "whole half cow" route to make sure we had meat...)

I lived in town but all of my friends who lived on farms had to have a deep freezer in their basement or garage. Because they were often very far away from the closest grocery store. The rich folks were the ones with a fridge in the garage that often held mostly pop and frozen treats. Now that was luxury to little Jermajesty in the 80s 😂

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

40 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You guys will laugh but I was born in the early 80s in the middle of nowhere in a town full of working class folks. If you had an extra fridge in the garage or basement, in my mind, you were RICH. Now I think it’s actually pretty common. Also if your kitchen fridge had water in the door, you were RICH. I still don’t have an extra fridge or one with water in the door! But a big reason for that is we live in an old house and I’m not about to run a waterline to the fridge. That seems like a waste of time and money. Our old fridge fully broke so I wasn’t about to put it in the basement for an extra fridge when we had to buy a new one. 

We got our first fridge when I was 16,  late 1996 or early 1997. Until then it was the kitchen cupboard, the cellar, or the freezer. (Big freezer to fit a whole pig after slaughtering.)

• Upvote 4

I never had an extra fridge growing up, we didn't have the money, need, or room for it. But my husband's entire family all did. It was always in the garage and called the beer fridge. All the drinks were out there- sodas, beer, juice boxes, then later bottled water and seltzers. We eventually got one when we had a garage off the kitchen and it was nice, I'll admit it. Drinks took up a lot of room in the kitchen fridge. The house we live in now doesn't have the garage  near the kitchen so we don't have it anymore, but the kids are grown so space is only an issue when everyone is home. If we need to, we will put drinks in a cooler and set it outside. Seems to work for us. 🤷‍♀️ What I'd love is a deep freezer. I'd love to be able to freeze more in the summer and make more soups and broth in bulk. There's just not space for it right now.

Edited by fluffernutter
  • Upvote 4

Both of my grandparents had garage/basement fridges and chest freezers. We have a little one - not the full sized basement one that you could a six foot corpse in without having to chop off limbs - ours is like 7 cubic ft? It fits a turkey and a ton of vaccum packed fish/game, and we keep it on the back deck next to the grill. 

We have a wine fridge and a regular azz fridge; the regular fridge is white (NOT stainless) and doesn't have a fancy snack drawer or an ice maker/water dispenser, and I like it that way. I think our next major upgrade will be a dry age meat fridge or a different oven. We love having the two ovens, but our last one had a smaller size on top and I miss it. Probably want to get two wall units - it's nice to have more than one oven when hosting as well. 

Have you all heard of fridgescaping? I'm honestly surprised Braggie hasn't latched on to that. 

• Upvote 3

My grandma had an extra freezer in the basement. And it was always filled with a certain cookie in the summer. I asked her once about it. And she said they made the cookies differently in the summer and she could taste it. So she bought a bunch in the winter and froze them to get her through the summer. My grandma is probably a super taster now that I think about it. She and I would always argue with family members that Mayo and miracle whip taste completely different. Because we were the only ones who could taste the difference! Everyone else said they are the same. I was always so picky as a kid. Now I think I know where I get it! 

• Upvote 6

@JermajestyDuggar I found a kindred spirit! Do you like cilantro or does it taste like dirt? I am going to have to ask my kids if the can taste a diff between mayo and miracle whip. I grew up on miracle whip and switched to mayo as an adult and cannot go back. Miracle whip is too sweet now.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Sweetpickle said:

@JermajestyDuggar I found a kindred spirit! Do you like cilantro or does it taste like dirt? I am going to have to ask my kids if the can taste a diff between mayo and miracle whip. I grew up on miracle whip and switched to mayo as an adult and cannot go back. Miracle whip is too sweet now.

So funny! I loved miracle whip growing up! I hated Mayo. But now I’m Mayo all the way. I can’t stand miracle whip. I don’t mind cilantro but I hate hate hate anise or fennel. I would rather eat dirt.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Mayo and Miracle Whip are not the same.  No. Nope. Never. No how.  Them's fightin' words in the South.

And the only Mayo worth buying is Duke's.  You can taste the difference between Duke's and other mayos.

Fun fact -- Sauer's mayo is very very close to Duke's taste, It works in a pinch if you need a cheap mayo.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

21 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Mayo and Miracle Whip are not the same.  No. Nope. Never. No how.  Them's fightin' words in the South.

And the only Mayo worth buying is Duke's.  You can taste the difference between Duke's and other mayos.

Fun fact -- Sauer's mayo is very very close to Duke's taste, It works in a pinch if you need a cheap mayo.

I’ve tasted Duke and I do taste a difference between Duke’s, Hellman’s, and Kraft. My kids only like Kraft because they are super tasters like me. And they will only eat Heinz ketchup. No Hunts allowed in this house because my kids are condiment snobs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Best Foods Mayo or Hellman's (Same product, different name depending on which side of the Mississippi you are buying it) all the way.  Kraft everything is disgusting and tastes plastic-y. I can always tell when Mayo is kraft vs made in house vs Best Foods. 

Heinz is better than Hunts but Ketchup is largely pointless in my house. Or catsup, whichever spelling you prefer. 

I'm honestly concerned that there are people out there who can't tell the difference between miracle whip and mayo. They are two completely different products and flavor profiles. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I really wanted a fridge that made its own ice and dispensed water but my parents hate them, and got mad at me when I was thinking of buying one. I bought the one they liked for my house but in black (my colour choice. They wanted me to buy white). My fridge is 14 years old and will likely need to be replaced in a few years and this time, I am buying what I want. Fancy pants fridge, here I come! 

• Love 11

Kiddo prefers the clove in Trader Joe’s ketchup. And we all like the Primal Kitchen mayonnaise. Crucially, that mayonnaise is not sugared. We will always prefer a mayonnaise that prioritizes fat over sugar.

It has been wonderful reading everyone’s thoughts on condiments. Little changes between regions are irresistible to me. Thank you all.

Now, to the necessary: Cholula is better than Tabasco. I will fight you if you say otherwise, ;)

• Upvote 3

Any Mayo is vile- I mean vile. I am a mustard gal through and through. The red stuff is for fries only, and even then, I would use BBQ sauce first. Interestingly enough, I do like ranch dressing, but only Hidden Valley. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

On 8/22/2024 at 8:20 PM, SassyPants said:

Any Mayo is vile- I mean vile. I am a mustard gal through and through. The red stuff is for fries only, and even then, I would use BBQ sauce first. Interestingly enough, I do like ranch dressing, but only Hidden Valley. 

I agree with your first sentence. The ONLY time I ever use mayo is on egg sandwiches. White bread, mayo, and scrambled egg.

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2024 at 2:35 PM, 4boysmum said:

I may have been a bit of a brat and insisted on paying the extra to get my water/ice.  I had had my brush with being all "fancy" and I was not ready to have it ripped away from me!

It’s similar with dishwashers! When I lived in a shared apartment during university, we didn’t have one and it was fine. As one person, you don’t have too many dishes anyway.

But then I had my first real job and the apartment (I lived alone) came with a dishwasher left by the previous tenant. You bet I purchased a new one when it broke eventually! Once you’ve had a dishwasher, you just can’t go back!

• Upvote 5

Braggie getting paid to sell a Christian scam to her followers. 

3EBFC012-8176-472E-B649-853B35CF2113.jpeg

• Eyeroll 14
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 3

So under CHM people can decline to support your medical costs? Wonder how much Abbie puts in, rather than takes out.

(Also no way would I want a twin pregnancy only covered by CHM, no matter how many routine pregnancies I'd had. Too many things to go wrong.) 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

Braggie should just be honest. They can afford to pay out of pocket if they scameritan wont pay. If you can afford a 6 week long vacation to Europe for 13 people, you can afford a few hospital bills. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 9

I hope someone has a CHM horror story to share about not covering pre-existing conditions or cancer treatment. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

As a healthcare provider I hate nothing more than seeing kids in clinic on these "plans."  Their parents try to negotiate the workup and treatment with you.  I'm left saying "Well, your child had a seizure and standard of care and recommendations from all concerned societies agree that they need an MRI brain and an EEG so that's what I recommend. But you are their parent, so you can certainly decide not to proceed with that recommendation." 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 12
  • I Agree 1

On 8/21/2024 at 6:54 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes. She got a new fridge even though their old one worked perfectly fine. So they moved the old one away so it was hidden somewhere and they still use it. 

Raises hand as member of the two fridge club, lol. 

On 8/22/2024 at 7:36 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

She and I would always argue with family members that Mayo and miracle whip taste completely different. Because we were the only ones who could taste the difference!  

What's the opposite of a super-taster? Because mayo and miracle whip taste nothing alike, lol. 

On 8/22/2024 at 10:18 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

And the only Mayo worth buying is Duke's.

I will have to strongly disagree and add Blue Plate as at least an equal to Duke's. 

Most mayo brands include lemon juice; Duke's and Blue Plate do not, and that is a big part of the taste difference. Apparently, southerners do not like lemon juice in their mayo. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, mhainlen said:

As a healthcare provider I hate nothing more than seeing kids in clinic on these "plans."  Their parents try to negotiate the workup and treatment with you.  I'm left saying "Well, your child had a seizure and standard of care and recommendations from all concerned societies agree that they need an MRI brain and an EEG so that's what I recommend. But you are their parent, so you can certainly decide not to proceed with that recommendation." 

It’s heart breaking. There should be mandatory insurance for children at least. If parents opt against insurance and proper treatment for themselves that’s one thing. But it should be illegal for children.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 12