IGNORED

M is for Mama 18

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, Maggie Mae said:

I think a lot of people like the poodle cross because they shed less and are supposedly hypoallergenic.  Cavapoos and cockapoos are adorable dogs and I think the King Charles Spaniels are more laid back/less energenic overall than the cocker spaniel. IDK though. I don't like to think there are that many people buying dogs specifically to look good on social media, more like "i like how that one look, and i had a good time interacting with it" Obviously there are exceptions like Jake Paul. 

The sad part though is the hypoallergenic portion of poodles has been way over sold, plus the mix of other fur types hasn't panned out well for most people I know sadly. The other issue is even if you don't get the hypoallergenic nature of the poodle too often the coat issues still come in and it leads to a need for more grooming at a higher cost. I know a few dog groomers that will tell you all about why they hate the poodle mutts. The majority of the issues being most owners have no idea of what the are in for in regards to coat maintenance and then owners are mad that they have to pay for regular grooming. 

Sadly also how dogs look and are sold has been an issue for decades. Everyone who cares about a breed used to get stressed out when a new film hit with a dog star of a certain breed. So people being sold on a breed that looks cute on SM isn't a stretch to me at all. All the dalmatians we saw dumped about 8 months after the live action 101 dalmatians film, made me too pessimistic to have faith. 😪

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 3

21 minutes ago, tankgirl said:

The sad part though is the hypoallergenic portion of poodles has been way over sold, plus the mix of other fur types hasn't panned out well for most people I know sadly. The other issue is even if you don't get the hypoallergenic nature of the poodle too often the coat issues still come in and it leads to a need for more grooming at a higher cost. I know a few dog groomers that will tell you all about why they hate the poodle mutts. The majority of the issues being most owners have no idea of what the are in for in regards to coat maintenance and then owners are mad that they have to pay for regular grooming. 

Sadly also how dogs look and are sold has been an issue for decades. Everyone who cares about a breed used to get stressed out when a new film hit with a dog star of a certain breed. So people being sold on a breed that looks cute on SM isn't a stretch to me at all. All the dalmatians we saw dumped about 8 months after the live action 101 dalmatians film, made me too pessimistic to have faith. 😪

Yep. Talk to any dog groomer and they say doodles have the most matted problematic coats because people who get them don’t know how to take care of it. I remember the 101 Dalmatian craze. Those dogs are high energy. People could not handle them. So they ended up in shelters and it’s so sad. I live in a state with the second highest amount of puppy mills. Because it’s the same state with the second highest number of Amish. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 4

“The sad part though is the hypoallergenic portion of poodles has been way over sold…”

very true @tankgirlThere is no such thing as a truly hypoallergenic dog

Edited by Seeking
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yep. Talk to any dog groomer and they say doodles have the most matted problematic coats because people who get them don’t know how to take care of it. I remember the 101 Dalmatian craze. Those dogs are high energy. People could not handle them. So they ended up in shelters and it’s so sad. I live in a state with the second highest amount of puppy mills. Because it’s the same state with the second highest number of Amish. 

During Covid we actually drove to your general neck of the woods to buy are youngest dog from a breeder. Sadly, our girl has had some problems likely associated with overbreeding. She is a great, smart and thoroughly well behaved dog. Since our older girl died we have been thinking of getting another dog, but I do not think we’d get such a well mannered dog (despite some medical issues) again. There is no jumping, digging, barking, fleeing, such an easy dog.

• Upvote 2

On 8/31/2024 at 1:15 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

They are still fashionable. What’s more fashionable are newer poodle mixes. It used to be just labroadoodles. Now they are making lots of mixes with poodles to look best on social media. 

In our neighborhood of 23 houses there are two cockapoos and one labradoodle.  All three of those dogs are unfriendly, high energy and barkers.  Not a good advertisement for poodle mixes. When their owners are walking them I cross the street.

• Upvote 4

Getting a dog is a tricky one. People say "adopt don't shop!" but it's not that straightforward. People are gonna want to adopt puppies and popular breeds, leaving less desirable dogs languishing in rescues for months if not years. It's a bit like adopting children in that regard. People tend to want babies, and white babies at that. Plus rescues often have very strict adoption requirements. It's understandable why they would, but it means that many otherwise great families aren't allowed to adopt a dog because of one small issue. Also, rescue dogs may not be the best choice for first-time owners, since they're likely to have issues that a new owner would struggle to deal with. 

• Upvote 8

9 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Getting a dog is a tricky one. People say "adopt don't shop!" but it's not that straightforward. People are gonna want to adopt puppies and popular breeds, leaving less desirable dogs languishing in rescues for months if not years. It's a bit like adopting children in that regard. People tend to want babies, and white babies at that. Plus rescues often have very strict adoption requirements. It's understandable why they would, but it means that many otherwise great families aren't allowed to adopt a dog because of one small issue. Also, rescue dogs may not be the best choice for first-time owners, since they're likely to have issues that a new owner would struggle to deal with. 

It’s funny how getting a cat and getting a dog are completely different experiences. We got our cat from a shelter and it was pretty easy. There were tons of great cats to choose from. He’s a mutt kitty and he wasn’t a kitten. Yet he’s a great fit for us. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Dogs are not easy to get from a shelter (understandably) and most shelter dogs are not a good fit with children. 

We have a sheepadoodle who we got as a puppy. She isn’t completely hypoallergenic but she doesn’t shed and she doesn’t bother my husband’s severe, environmental allergies. When we got her we took her to k9 training immediately because we had a 3 and a 1 year old. She is very well behaved and the chilliest dog I know. We love her to pieces. 

Grooming her is expensive but she is the perfect dog for our family. We’ve had her 9 years already, and I don’t know where the time has gone. We looked at so many shelters and rescue dogs before we got her, but none of them would have worked with such small kids in the house. 

This is not to excuse Braggie. She can’t even give her own children enough attention. Getting any dog for her was a terrible idea.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, treehugger said:

Dogs are not easy to get from a shelter (understandably) and most shelter dogs are not a good fit with children. 

We have a sheepadoodle who we got as a puppy. She isn’t completely hypoallergenic but she doesn’t shed and she doesn’t bother my husband’s severe, environmental allergies. When we got her we took her to k9 training immediately because we had a 3 and a 1 year old. She is very well behaved and the chilliest dog I know. We love her to pieces. 

Grooming her is expensive but she is the perfect dog for our family. We’ve had her 9 years already, and I don’t know where the time has gone. We looked at so many shelters and rescue dogs before we got her, but none of them would have worked with such small kids in the house. 

This is not to excuse Braggie. She can’t even give her own children enough attention. Getting any dog for her was a terrible idea.

My dog needs to visit the groomer every 8 weeks, it just comes with his kind of fur and it's my responsiblity as his owner to get him there. I could learn to groom him myself, but I prefer to pay for a professional. He is a pekingese and bolonka zwetna mix and has a very soft fur, that don't shed much, but will get tangled and matted easily after reaching a certain length. If someone gets a dog with high maintenense fur, either pay for the groomer without complaining or learn to groom the dog themselfes, like my coworker did with her golden doodle.

Is Braggie's new dog female? If so, I dread that she will also breed that poor dog as soon as possible like the poor beagle she had previously. What happened to that pet, will likely happen to the new one as well when

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

My dog needs to visit the groomer every 8 weeks, it just comes with his kind of fur and it's my responsiblity as his owner to get him there. I could learn to groom him myself, but I prefer to pay for a professional. He is a pekingese and bolonka zwetna mix and has a very soft fur, that don't shed much, but will get tangled and matted easily after reaching a certain length. If someone gets a dog with high maintenense fur, either pay for the groomer without complaining or learn to groom the dog themselfes, like my coworker did with her golden doodle.

Is Braggie's new dog female? If so, I dread that she will also breed that poor dog as soon as possible like the poor beagle she had previously. What happened to that pet, will likely happen to the new one as well when

I completely agree! Sadly talking to groomers it seems too many " for the money breeders" are out there selling the story of these perfect mixes, but leaving out the fact they need regular grooming beyond an occasional wash, wipe and brush that say a Lab needs for it's coat. I know a coworker was completely shocked when I told her, her poodle mix needed to be professionally groomed more often as she said the breeder said she didn't need professional grooming at all.

Dogs of any breed can be a mixed bag of luck on personality and health conditions and some more inate breed personality traits might be stronger in one dog verses another. So I get people chose dogs different ways, we had a purebred puppy and a rescue older purebred that basically fell into our lap. I just hate the way some mix breeds and purebreeds are sold, by people like Abbie who just see money not a family member.

• Upvote 7

On 9/3/2024 at 11:23 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s funny how getting a cat and getting a dog are completely different experiences. We got our cat from a shelter and it was pretty easy. There were tons of great cats to choose from. He’s a mutt kitty and he wasn’t a kitten. Yet he’s a great fit for us. 

My daughter had a ridiculously complicated interaction with one cat rescue organization. They not only wanted to see her home before they’d consider her for a cat, but insisted that every member of the family be present. She got the cat, but went elsewhere for her next one.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 5

7 hours ago, Hane said:

My daughter had a ridiculously complicated interaction with one cat rescue organization. They not only wanted to see her home before they’d consider her for a cat, but insisted that every member of the family be present. She got the cat, but went elsewhere for her next one.

That’s crazy. This is how so many cat owners end up with their perfect pets:

08C40B2C-416E-4C93-9F7C-8F336B0D9DD1.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s crazy. This is how so many cat owners end up with their perfect pets:

08C40B2C-416E-4C93-9F7C-8F336B0D9DD1.jpeg

There are numerous reddit threads dedicated to The Cat Distribution System. It's rather amusing all the random ways cats wiggle into our lives!

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, Hane said:

Wow! That's a rescue with a lot of money if they can send personnel to check out every single home!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

Wow! That's a rescue with a lot of money if they can send personnel to check out every single home!

She does live in a frighteningly expensive area. I’ve encountered some folks involved in pet rescues who are, let’s say, monomaniacal in their dedication. It’s led to schisms and backstabbing in their organizations.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hane said:

She does live in a frighteningly expensive area. I’ve encountered some folks involved in pet rescues who are, let’s say, monomaniacal in their dedication. It’s led to schisms and backstabbing in their organizations.

Absolutely. There are some "rescues" around me that are simply animal hoarders who've figured out how to get money for animal food. Occasionally they'll adopt out an animal but it's sketchy af. Sadly it seems like the good ones around here are few and far between. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3

There's a "rescue" near me that requires adopters to sign a pledge to continue feeding the cat a raw chicken diet, conveniently available at the hoarder/rescue house, of course. On top of paperwork, home visit, and building a catio. 

Like OK but I'll just keep this cat I found under my porch that just happens to be the same breed as your cats, crazy lady. He hates chicken, BTW. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 5

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

There's a "rescue" near me that requires adopters to sign a pledge to continue feeding the cat a raw chicken diet, conveniently available at the hoarder/rescue house, of course. On top of paperwork, home visit, and building a catio. 

Like OK but I'll just keep this cat I found under my porch that just happens to be the same breed as your cats, crazy lady. He hates chicken, BTW. 

Wow, talk about sketchy af! I'd be looking for strays at that point, too!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

Wow, talk about sketchy af! I'd be looking for strays at that point, too!

All of my cats were strays/semi-ferel. I basically operate a rescue but you know. I take them or get them to a legit rescue. We found that three cats was too many cats. Two cats feels like too many sometimes. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

We had a wonderful experience this weekend with my father in law. My mil passed away almost a year ago and they were in the middle of moving to a retirement community. He is now in this big house by himself, and really has done an amazing job joining some clubs and getting out there. But he has been lonely and kept talking about getting a cat. They never had cats, only dogs, because that was what she liked. Anyway, he texts me and asks where we got our cat a few years ago. It was a local cat rescue place that does check ups, spays/neuters, and gives the cats their shots before adopting out. We met him there, and of course he fell in love with a gorgeous kitten. We had to "co-sign" (just give our name and number on the form) since he is older, which we gladly did. Once it went through, we went shopping for everything and then got the kitty and went to his house and helped him get all set up. We visited him yesterday and the cat is already the queen lol. So sweet. 💕 I hope him and the new kitty have many happy years together. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 30

14 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

We had a wonderful experience this weekend with my father in law. My mil passed away almost a year ago and they were in the middle of moving to a retirement community. He is now in this big house by himself, and really has done an amazing job joining some clubs and getting out there. But he has been lonely and kept talking about getting a cat. They never had cats, only dogs, because that was what she liked. Anyway, he texts me and asks where we got our cat a few years ago. It was a local cat rescue place that does check ups, spays/neuters, and gives the cats their shots before adopting out. We met him there, and of course he fell in love with a gorgeous kitten. We had to "co-sign" (just give our name and number on the form) since he is older, which we gladly did. Once it went through, we went shopping for everything and then got the kitty and went to his house and helped him get all set up. We visited him yesterday and the cat is already the queen lol. So sweet. 💕 I hope him and the new kitty have many happy years together. 

That is beautiful and I hope they'll be SO happy.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

My best friend growing up had this cat that would hang out by their house and they would feed it sometimes. One day they noticed it limping, so they brought it inside to take it to the vet. Cat stopped limping and never limped again. Damn thing faked an injury to get inside. They kept him of course. He earned it.

Back to Braggie - they're building like a sport court / event space next to their house? With lots of parking and viewing space.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-08at7_03_00PM.thumb.png.23eb435455d4d9cf20eb10005778cc1e.pngScreenshot2024-09-08at7_06_35PM.thumb.png.1962af1c07d9e2571115e4ab54cc9ca8.png

Who's gonna be calling a square dance? Are they opening this place up to the public? Are they starting their own church? What is this for? I am so confused.

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 4

26 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

My best friend growing up had this cat that would hang out by their house and they would feed it sometimes. One day they noticed it limping, so they brought it inside to take it to the vet. Cat stopped limping and never limped again. Damn thing faked an injury to get inside. They kept him of course. He earned it.

Back to Braggie - they're building like a sport court / event space next to their house? With lots of parking and viewing space.

Hide contents

Screenshot2024-09-08at7_03_00PM.thumb.png.23eb435455d4d9cf20eb10005778cc1e.pngScreenshot2024-09-08at7_06_35PM.thumb.png.1962af1c07d9e2571115e4ab54cc9ca8.png

Who's gonna be calling a square dance? Are they opening this place up to the public? Are they starting their own church? What is this for? I am so confused.

I think the initial plan was for a pickleball court. But I could see Braggie wanting to invite people over to be the hostess with the mostest. She doesn’t get enough online butt pats. She needs in person validation as well. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think the initial plan was for a pickleball court. But I could see Braggie wanting to invite people over to be the hostess with the mostest. She doesn’t get enough online butt pats. She needs in person validation as well. 

Yeah building a pickleball court / large sports slab I get. It's all the parking and viewer loft that perplexes me.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1