IGNORED

M is for Mama 18

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Braggie’s pup is home. And even complained that they shaved the puppy’s legs so now they look like drumsticks. She’s more superficial than Jill. Which says a lot. I remember when she had to shave her 4 month old baby’s head because she didn’t like how it was growing uneven. Wtf? It’s a baby. Who cares?

I had a miniature schnauzer who had to be professionally groomed every eight weeks. And the first thing I would tell the vet if needed blood drawn, etc, is "I don't care if you shave him." Because the hair grows back, and vets and their techs have enough to contend with. I'd rather they weren't struggling to get a needle into a vein they couldn't see.

Edited by FiveAcres
typo
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

With regards to kids and animals: we got "pandemic kittens" for our kids, who were 11 and 13 at the time, with the full knowledge that we were the ones taking on the responsibility.  Because we're adults, and they're kids.  It was our first time having actual kittens, since previously we'd always adopted adult cats.  In fact, this month is the one year anniversary of the loss of our oldest cat.  She had lived in a shelter her entire life and we adopted her at age 12 to keep another elderly cat company and she lived to two months shy of 20 years old.  She was terrified of everything for about nine months and then decided we were okay and fell madly in love with my husband and followed him around devotedly.  He misses her.

We got the kittens at 12 weeks, which is when my sister in law said was the right age for maximum bonding, and the cats are each madly in love with "their person" and want nothing to do with us, sigh.

People seem to forget that pets are living creatures that take time and care.  We adopted our first long-haired cat last year and I pay $140 every eight weeks to have him washed and groomed, otherwise he gets hairballs and I get a floor full of kitty fur tumbleweeds. But we're the ones that got a long haired cat and it's our job to care for him, even if it was something of a surprise to realize the little furball needs so much maintenance. 

(I would have put the above under a cut but I can't seem to figure out how to do that, despite the fact I've been on FJ for like 18 years.)

Does anybody think this dog is going to get re-homed pretty quickly due to vet expenses and the fact that the kids are in no way ready to care for a fragile little creature that is likely to have long-term behavioral issues due to the trauma it's experienced?

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, bea said:

With regards to kids and animals: we got "pandemic kittens" for our kids, who were 11 and 13 at the time, with the full knowledge that we were the ones taking on the responsibility.  Because we're adults, and they're kids.  It was our first time having actual kittens, since previously we'd always adopted adult cats.  In fact, this month is the one year anniversary of the loss of our oldest cat.  She had lived in a shelter her entire life and we adopted her at age 12 to keep another elderly cat company and she lived to two months shy of 20 years old.  She was terrified of everything for about nine months and then decided we were okay and fell madly in love with my husband and followed him around devotedly.  He misses her.

We got the kittens at 12 weeks, which is when my sister in law said was the right age for maximum bonding, and the cats are each madly in love with "their person" and want nothing to do with us, sigh.

People seem to forget that pets are living creatures that take time and care.  We adopted our first long-haired cat last year and I pay $140 every eight weeks to have him washed and groomed, otherwise he gets hairballs and I get a floor full of kitty fur tumbleweeds. But we're the ones that got a long haired cat and it's our job to care for him, even if it was something of a surprise to realize the little furball needs so much maintenance. 

(I would have put the above under a cut but I can't seem to figure out how to do that, despite the fact I've been on FJ for like 18 years.)

Does anybody think this dog is going to get re-homed pretty quickly due to vet expenses and the fact that the kids are in no way ready to care for a fragile little creature that is likely to have long-term behavioral issues due to the trauma it's experienced?

Not re-homed, no, but I could see them putting her outside…and whoops, she went missing. That’s how the H’s roll. Animals are disposable and teach the temporary condition of life. 

• Upvote 9
  • Disgust 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Not re-homed, no, but I could see them putting her outside…and whoops, she went missing. That’s how the H’s roll. Animals are disposable and teach the temporary condition of life. 

I do think they’ve mentioned their cats have been gotten by coyotes. 

• Sad 5

On 9/13/2024 at 11:24 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I do think they’ve mentioned their cats have been gotten by coyotes. 

That's horrifying. If the coyotes will take a cat, they'll take a smaller dog, too.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, bea said:

If the coyotes will take a cat, they'll take a smaller dog, too.

They do. Warning from the city of Bloomfield, CO:

Guard Your Pets
Never leave pets in the yard by themselves! Always be in the yard with your pet. Coyotes are opportunistic hunters. If they see an animal that they can easily prey upon, they will take the opportunity. It’s up to you to keep your pet safe and that means staying with them in the yard.

Attend your pet; If your pet is outside, be outside in the yard with them. Coyotes can scale even a 6-foot fence. Standing by the door will not deter coyotes from entering your yard. To a coyote, a pet is not protected if you are watching your pet from inside. Colorado Parks and Wildlife recommends always being within 5 feet of your pet. Your presence can help deter a coyote from making an attempt to prey on your pet.

Edited by hoipolloi
Formatting
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

I have been following this thread and nodding my head firmly about the immorality of crap insurance and even more firmly at repellant practices of animal ownership.

Yet what makes me saddest about this story is that the girls will likely lose the only entity that could love them unconditionally.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Anyone catch today’s story on IG? What is that critter running around in the house with the puppy?

It look like a ferret. I think they were letting the puppy be a little too rough with it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

31 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

It look like a ferret. I think they were letting the puppy be a little too rough with it.

That ferret looked annoyed. She showed Winnie on the outdoor Pickleball court and Winnie was trying to eat the tape they were sticking down. They are going to end up in the ER again because I know they aren’t supervising that dog enough. And she’s going to eat something again that could be toxic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4

Watching that video of Winnie with the ferret was horrible. That dog was way too rough and some one should have stepped in instead of videoing the two. That dog could definitely injure that ferret. I don't get why they have animals 😢

• Upvote 6