IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 18: Faux Royals

Coconut Flan

39 minutes ago, viii said:

I think that because an article reported it that way and I don’t know LA enough to know the difference. A bit BEC for you but I’m not surprised. 

I'm a born fact checker and I don't need your judgment.  We have access to maps for a reason and apparently no article can be accepted completely without trying to verify it.  There's quite the difference in Beverly Hills and where Doria lives.  To anyone with even tiny knowledge of LA, it was an easy to spot goof.

The project had disaster written all over it.  Meghan didn't even sign the correct forms.  Apparently hiring a proper attorney with experience in trademarks didn't occur to anyone on the team or Meghan rejected the idea. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Love 1

On 9/3/2024 at 10:12 PM, Coconut Flan said:

I'm a born fact checker and I don't need your judgment.  We have access to maps for a reason and apparently no article can be accepted completely without trying to verify it.  There's quite the difference in Beverly Hills and where Doria lives.  To anyone with even tiny knowledge of LA, it was an easy to spot goof.

The project had disaster written all over it.  Meghan didn't even sign the correct forms.  Apparently hiring a proper attorney with experience in trademarks didn't occur to anyone on the team or Meghan rejected the idea. 

I don't think we need to jump on people who live in Canada for not knowing anything about Los Angeles. It was reported in an article and there is not need to treat each other like this.

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1
  • Love 1

Eh, she snipes at me regularly.  I actually meant the author of the article should have been fact checking, but whatever.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Eh, she snipes at me regularly.  I actually meant the author of the article should have been fact checking, but whatever.  

Awright so let’s all stop sniping and downvoting just because a person is irritating us. You too @viii!  Let’s focus on content so we don’t end having to go to those toxic Sussex subs on Reddit!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

This article makes his life seem somewhat isolated. But of course he might have a social life and activities that the locals know nothing about

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13816791/inside-prince-harry-life-royal-exile-california-sussexes.html

I may not be rich or live in a huge mansion. But I would be bored to tears in a few weeks with their every day lives. And I'm pretty boring and don't have many friends. What do they do all day to fill the many hours of a day?

• Upvote 5

I don't envy their life. I think Harry probably is lonely and isolated. He had a group of friends in the UK that he gave up, but they were "peers", or as close as he would get. They understood wealth and privacy. The average person in the US doesn't, not to the same extent that the aristocratic society does. 

I'd like the money to be able to travel where ever and life without financial stress, but I wouldn't want to be a goldfish, swimming in a bowl, like they are. 

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1
  • I Agree 4

I think the biggest issue for H is privacy. The social circles around the aristocracy in the UK are extremely private. If you snitch you are on outs effective immediately. That’s why there almost no photos of them from private events and all „close“ sources are unnamed and can never be dug up- because they aren’t as close as they make it out to be. 
I don’t think they have really found the same in the US. And I am not sure that M is on the same page what the level of privacy entails. Apart from being seemingly adrift in his business endeavours and not accepting his new level of popularity, influence and importance, I do believe this privacy issue is what must negatively impact H the most. Not being able to really confide in deeply trusted friends makes you feel isolated really quick.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 1

On 9/7/2024 at 5:09 AM, just_ordinary said:

I think the biggest issue for H is privacy. The social circles around the aristocracy in the UK are extremely private. If you snitch you are on outs effective immediately. That’s why there almost no photos of them from private events and all „close“ sources are unnamed and can never be dug up- because they aren’t as close as they make it out to be…I do believe this privacy issue is what must negatively impact H the most. Not being able to really confide in deeply trusted friends makes you feel isolated really quick.

That’s makes for an interesting conundrum for Harry. He can’t ever go back to the UK because (checks notes)…”security,” and he’s perpetually mad at paparazzi, but he did have a tight circle of friends who would never sell him out.

Now, he seems to be generally left alone by paparazzi in CA, but it’s hard making friends in your late 30s/40s. The parents of your kids friends become your default friends, but I imagine it’s an uphill battle when you’re as distrusting as Harry, and have such wildly different backgrounds (not insurmountable, and Harry is well-traveled and adept and relating to different cultures, but there is something to be said about the shared background of “home”).

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

(not insurmountable, and Harry is well-traveled and adept and relating to different cultures, but there is something to be said about the shared background of “home”).

Well traveled, yes. Good at relating to other cultures??? Not sure about that. As a working royal, he had an office full of minders making sure he didn't screw that up. And he still managed to go out in a Nazi uniform and get caught on tape using racial slurs. He related on royal tours by doing as he was told. He and Meghan have behaved questionably otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I think it's difficult to know what Harry is truly like, because the Firm was great at covering up the bad stuff while he was a working royal. Since he's been on his own, his behavior has been a little more questionable, but overall he's probably still a somewhat charming person. There aren't many reports suggesting otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

I think „good at relating to other cultures“ is easy enough if you are on a little visit/work for most people. It gets more complicated if that is what surrounds you 24/7 and are expected to fit in. I have never heard of anyone that left their home country behind to not experience some level of feeling on the outside, finding some things annoying/crazy/stupid. Even if you don’t regret your choice. There millions of videos on YT thanks to that.

H had an easier time to appear relaxed and engaging  I don’t doubt that he is to a certain extent- when everything goes right. We have seen what happens if he gets some head winds.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Harry's new show about making heroes out of rich gits riding stressed horses will be available in December.   https://people.com/prince-harry-polo-documentary-series-title-release-announced-netflix-8709092

No idea who was in charge of the timing but this came out just a few hours after Catherine's cancer update, so some think it comes across as a bit, "so you beat cancer huh? but what  about us!"

I will leave it for you to decide whether it upstaged anything or not. 

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I don’t know if H&M always have power over when their stuff gets out BUT- it’s just a desperate look for them. The ones deciding this might very well be strategic in that it will get picked up in the wind of a royal announcement/engagement. It will get more traction, even if it just adds negative attention.

However it works- it’s not working to the benefit of H&M. They should make sure their stuff gets its own attention build up  if not by timing it themselves than by putting it in contracts.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

Is there enough general interest in polo to support an ongoing Netflix series?  

My personal circle is very small, but I don't know anyone even mildly interested in polo. Not my 2 coworkers that own horses. The majority only know what polo is because they saw Pretty Woman. Or the neighbour I met regularily to walk our dogs together that watches a wide varity of sports, even horse jumping competitions or golf competitons.

• Upvote 2

All I know about polo I learned from Jilly Cooper...  :=)

Personally I don't know anyone with an interest in polo. I looked it up to see if it's even played around here and found out that there is a polo association with three member clubs, two of which seem to be defunct.  The last time the website was updated with photos from the games was 24 years ago. So it does not seem to be a thing in my part of the world. 

But I think most documentaries I've ever watched were about subjects I knew very little about to begin with, and others might as well, if they're marketed right.

(that said, I won't be watching this, I don't have Netflix)

Sussex fans might tune in to the first episode regardless of their interest in polo, to see if Harry is going to be filmed and interviewed on the show but if it's mostly about some polo superstars they've never heard of that sort of interest might not carry to the end of the series.  After going all out with the gossip with Spare and  the HM couples reality show there is not going to be much they can do going forward that's not going to seem tame and boring in comparison. If you want dirt about BRF and get a lecture about the feeding schedules of polo ponies...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Well, Holy. Crap.  Color me minus a few brain cells.  I live in the Memphis area and there is in fact an active Hunt and Polo Club; I knew there used to be but thought it was defunct.  Initiation Fee is $25,000; yearly fees upwards of $5k plus some more various fees and membership rules.  I think there are houses where the Polo Grounds used to be, so I don't know where they were moved to, and I don't know what they hunt.  

Humph!

• Upvote 2

William and Harry were in town 10 years ago for their buddy Guy Pelly's wedding.  Reception at Memphis Hunt and Polo Club.  I retained a brain cell that was wandering in space and finally remembered that.

• Upvote 2