IGNORED

Bridgerton on Netflix

jillpm

I’m really enjoying all the seasons. I haven’t read the books, but plan to start. I’m not usually a fan of frothy romances, so mostly tuned in for the gowns, but I’m very much liking these and am interested in the characters. Also, of course, extremely hot people in very erotic scenes helps lol.  

The most interesting thing to me is how they young women are so incredibly naive and sheltered about anything remotely sexual - but also so extremely practical and honest about being on the marriage market looking for a man. And how that is their only option. With their inheritance structure it must have been incredible on them, and their whole family. 

For Season 1 - While the Duke is just insanely sexy and charming -and I love their love story - he is also just SUCH a whiny, sulky, emo brat. Yes he had a horrific childhood, yes he made a vow not to marry or have a child. But he very well knew the rules of his society. Once he made out with Daphne in the garden and was seen — he knew the consequences to her if he didn’t just marry her. Suck it up buttercup! And then the taking advantage of her complete ignorance of biology and lying to say he “couldn’t” have children….for so long and willing to have her live a lonely separate life with no options, because he was big petty about his daddy issues? No.  BUT - his pretty privilege really sweeps much of that away. So I’m glad they get their babies and happy ending, instead of him just having happy endings. 

Season 2 - I liked this one much more on rewatch. The first time both of their hyper-responsible domineering martyr complexes rubbed me the wrong way. And I very much disliked poor Edwina having to find out at the alter that her groom and sister were hot for each other. But the chemistry was undeniable, and the bantering was fun. I was more understanding of how much pressure they were both under the second time, the inclusion of Anthony having to becoming responsible for 7 siblings and his Mom when he was just a kid was very well done. 

Season 3 -  Extremely good chemistry. That last scene was ammmmazziiinnngg. I have mixed feelings about Penelope, she seems like a good heroine, but she is so quick to trash anyone who crosses her, and she has so much power to do so…. I don’t know. I’ve seen that in the books she’s supposed to be 28 in her story. I think if they had more time go by between each season so she was at least 25 ish it would make her story come across more natural. It would explain the years of longing, why she feels she’s completely on the shelf with no hope of a husband. Why she’s not as closely chaperoned. Why Colin in his late 20’s is bored and lonely just f#$& his way through Europe. Benedict’s story also comes before Pen and Colin in the books, which would have made more sense for the timeline.

I’m also liking the side stories, and love the Queen, Violet and Lady Danbury.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I read 5 of the books but romances set in this time period aren't my usual thing. I'm more into westerns but I will say they are pretty charming and witty. Eloise is my favorite character both on the show and in the books. The show mentioned the Smythe-Smith quartet but very little. They have books of their own and I have read one of them so far. The quartet is notorious for being very bad but at members of the ton are obligated to go see them perform. I hope that they might get their own series too. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 1