IGNORED

CarVan 15: Exposed Bras Make Baby Jesus Cry, Carlin.

nelliebelle1197

New thread! Why not?

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Where's Gil in all Kelly's traveling? Married people are just as free to travel separately as anyone else but aside from a few times I rarely see anyone posting about Gil & Kelly traveling together. Is it strange Kelly does so much solo traveling? Or just me? 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Don’t threads usually go to Pages in the 20s? Seems a little early for a new thread but I love the title.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Where's Gil in all Kelly's traveling? Married people are just as free to travel separately as anyone else but aside from a few times I rarely see anyone posting about Gil & Kelly traveling together. Is it strange Kelly does so much solo traveling? Or just me? 

No, it isn’t just you. I had the same thought. 

The perfect thread title for this annoying couple. They’re not quite Lawson and Tiffany level annoying, but run them a very close second. 

• Upvote 4

On Carlin’s IG story, it appears that she and Layla are in NWA. Carlin tagged Jessa in her video of Layla holding George (I assume). I thought it’s been awhile since we’ve seen Carlin and Joy together.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

It is especially jarring since one of the show's narratives was that they were basically attached at the hip. There was never any air between them in the interviews what with all the clinging on and everything. There were scenes where they traveled separately to see Alyssa and comments were made about how they still greeted each other like teens "courting" because they couldn't stand to be apart. I know the show was not a documentary or real but it is such a juxtaposition from the things they said and way they presented it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, JDuggs said:

On Carlin’s IG story, it appears that she and Layla are in NWA. Carlin tagged Jessa in her video of Layla holding George (I assume). I thought it’s been awhile since we’ve seen Carlin and Joy together.

Quoting myself. It looks like the opposite: Jessa is in TN. Carlin posted a little more and it looks like Jessa is at BSB. The only one with her seems to be George.

Edited by JDuggs
Missing word
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, sleepygirl1 said:

Don’t threads usually go to Pages in the 20s? Seems a little early for a new thread but I love the title.

We can change them whenever we want. The other thread is nearly a year old anyway.

• Upvote 5
  • Move Along 1

I'm not sure I understand the thread title. Don't fundies get enough clothing and body shaming from inside fundamentalism? Didn't they get told enough times their bodies could cause people to stumble and to remove the eye-traps? Weren't they even told that if they were assaulted it could be blamed on their clothes not being modest enough?

It doesn't matter what women wear; a woman's clothing choice never justifies assault. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 2

I think it’s more about their hypocrisy. Gothard was all about being ‘unworldly’, and half the kids are literally instagram influencers. For Jesus. 🙄

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'm not sure I understand the thread title. Don't fundies get enough clothing and body shaming from inside fundamentalism? Didn't they get told enough times their bodies could cause people to stumble and to remove the eye-traps? Weren't they even told that if they were assaulted it could be blamed on their clothes not being modest enough?

It doesn't matter what women wear; a woman's clothing choice never justifies assault. 

I wrote the thread title, so I'll respond. Its about the hypocrisy, and the general shabbiness and unprofessionalism of the Bates Sisters Boutique (BSB). BSB sells cheaply made fast fashion (and I don't know for sure, but at least some of it is probably made in Asian sweatshops), and the Bates gals have never shown any evidence about caring about sustainability, natural fibers,  supporting ethical businesses, or worker conditions while running their businesses. They make a big deal about being a small business, but all they are doing is importing cheap disposable crap from overseas. Their photoshoots are kinda half-assed--shiny & pretty on the surface, but then you noticed the unsteamed/unironed clothes/loose threads/missmatched seams and EXPOSED undergarments. They often model clothes that are too big and they actually roll the sleeves up. 

But you know why they have a successful business? Because they are D-list celebrities who market themselves as Jesus-lovers. A lot of fellow fundy Christians fork over $$ because of the Jesus angle.  They overlook all of the shabbiness of the business just because they want to give their $$ to fellow "Christians."

• Upvote 16

53 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I wrote the thread title, so I'll respond. Its about the hypocrisy, and the general shabbiness and unprofessionalism of the Bates Sisters Boutique (BSB). BSB sells cheaply made fast fashion (and I don't know for sure, but at least some of it is probably made in Asian sweatshops), and the Bates gals have never shown any evidence about caring about sustainability, natural fibers,  supporting ethical businesses, or worker conditions while running their businesses. They make a big deal about being a small business, but all they are doing is importing cheap disposable crap from overseas. Their photoshoots are kinda half-assed--shiny & pretty on the surface, but then you noticed the unsteamed/unironed clothes/loose threads/missmatched seams and EXPOSED undergarments. They often model clothes that are too big and they actually roll the sleeves up. 

But you know why they have a successful business? Because they are D-list celebrities who market themselves as Jesus-lovers. A lot of fellow fundy Christians fork over $$ because of the Jesus angle.  They overlook all of the shabbiness of the business just because they want to give their $$ to fellow "Christians."

Those are good points about BSB, but not really what the title of thread refers to. The thread title is just commenting on her appearance and sounds like we're the fundies snarking on someone who isn't modest enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Move Along 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 5

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Those are good points about BSB, but not really what the title of thread refers to. The thread title is just commenting on her appearance and sounds like we're the fundies snarking on someone who isn't modest enough.

No, it isn’t.  You are missing the point entirely.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 7

12 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Those are my words. I know what I meant, and I said what I said.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 9

I thought it was a snarky, funny title making fun of fundy modesty standards, not really poking at Carlin’s modesty standards, because everyone here seems perfectly fine with Carlin’s modesty standards. It’s like it was a fundy making the comment to her. The deep meaning of the title about hypocrisy and the ethics of BSB went way, way over my head.

But jeez, I wish people could lighten up on @Bluebirdbluebell for expressing a legitimate opinion in a respectful way.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

On 6/20/2024 at 1:05 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

It is especially jarring since one of the show's narratives was that they were basically attached at the hip. There was never any air between them in the interviews what with all the clinging on and everything. There were scenes where they traveled separately to see Alyssa and comments were made about how they still greeted each other like teens "courting" because they couldn't stand to be apart. I know the show was not a documentary or real but it is such a juxtaposition from the things they said and way they presented it. 

Kelly can no longer get pregnant so I guess it doesn't matter if they're together lol. You're sure right about how they acted on the show. In their interviews it always looked like Kelly was 3 seconds away from giving Gil a handie.

Edited by Kiki03910
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2024 at 1:47 PM, JDuggs said:

I thought it was a snarky, funny title making fun of fundy modesty standards, not really poking at Carlin’s modesty standards, because everyone here seems perfectly fine with Carlin’s modesty standards. It’s like it was a fundy making the comment to her. The deep meaning of the title about hypocrisy and the ethics of BSB went way, way over my head.

But jeez, I wish people could lighten up on @Bluebirdbluebell for expressing a legitimate opinion in a respectful way.

Bluebirdbell has been active in the Jrod threads which are chock full of legit full on body and weight  shaming and clothes shaming.  But calling Jill out for filters and tight tacky immodest clothes or saying the kids are too skinny or David is a fat lazy lump never gets this kind of call out.  I wonder why not? The hypocrisy is pretty stunning.

Edited by nelliebelle1197

6 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Bluebirdbell has been active in the Jrod threads which are chock full of legit full on body and weight  shaming and clothes shaming.  But calling Jill out for filters and tight tacky immodest clothes or saying the kids are too skinny or David is a fat lazy lump never gets this kind of call out.  I wonder why not? The hypocrisy is pretty stunning.

I’m not stunned by the hypocrisy because I don’t know anything about bluebirdbell or her commenting history. I’m not going to attempt to discern people’s various levels of indignation over various topics. I was just commenting on this particular  situation. However, I personally feel that the Rodrigues family body size issues compared to Carlin’s take on modesty are apples and oranges, Carlin is not claiming to be a “modest” Christian. Jill R, on the other hand, claims modesty while wearing what many consider to be immodest fits of clothing. She also comments on the figures of her “trim” daughters while also mentioning how godly her children are for fasting or giving up a chicken leg for the benefit of family. Jill is actually SAYING these things, while Carlin is not. 

I appreciate discourse and different opinions and perceptions on these topics. I don’t like it when I think people are purposely made to feel dumb because they don’t “get it.” And my perception is still that it was a funny thread title.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Carlin does not talk about modesty, yet she gets the blame for her mainstream dressing. She is twenty something, dressed as many twenty something women... If her bra is exposed or her skirt is short, it's irrelevant. She may have the worst political beliefs, but as far as I know, she neither has said how people must dress, nor has pretended to be modest.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Serious question, because I don't want to be an asshole: is it generally considered body shaming if I observe that the Rod kids are really thin and unhealthy looking and that this appears to be connected to Jill feeding them little and poorly? I don't feel like I'm judging their appearance, just Jill's questionable choices.

The BSB clothes are heinous to me completely divorced from any issues of modesty or lack thereof. And the thread title made me spray wine out my nose. Satire is fun!

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

Serious question, because I don't want to be an asshole: is it generally considered body shaming if I observe that the Rod kids are really thin and unhealthy looking and that this appears to be connected to Jill feeding them little and poorly? I don't feel like I'm judging their appearance, just Jill's questionable choices.

The BSB clothes are heinous to me completely divorced from any issues of modesty or lack thereof. And the thread title made me spray wine out my nose. Satire is fun!

Yeah, I think it can be. I am not convinced they are underfed- just fed bad food. I mean, pics of Jill's sisters and Jill herself in their teens show some seriously skinny girls.  Any derogatory conversation about someone's body is shaming. I just am not sure anyone cares because it's Jill.

Making fun of Carlin for pretending to be a model while producing sloppy and weird pictures in ugly, overpriced clothes she is shilling to others?  I still don't get how anyone thinks that is body shaming.

• Upvote 6

Jill's kids are probably suffering mostly from sleep deprivation and poor quality diet.  At the spring dance recital, I was tempted to take a photo of one ballet class where not one child was larger/heavier than the younger Rodrigues kids.  I won't violate the kids' privacy though.  These are all upper middle class and upper class kids for whom food, usually wholesome, is freely available.  My daughter worked behind the stage for the first show and that was one of the classes she assisted.  Every child had a stuffed lunchbox with cheese, hummus, fresh vegetable, fruit, and usually some crackers or pretzels or similar items.  Some also had frozen yogurt or shelf stable milk.  They were sent with plenty of food even though the evening performance began after dinner time.  

I do have to admit to living in southern California in an area not known for obesity.  I did not see a single obese appearing child or parent at sixth grade promotion.  Since one family moved out of the area, I never see anyone morbidly obese at the children's actitivities. Jill's kids would stand out here, but not because of their size or weight.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

Did anyone talk about the Q+A they did a couple weeks ago on the vlog? They mentioned how Evan didn't get paid for the show when they were dating but he was able to write off gas and food to travel to film when he was back in Nashville. They also said that Carlin's dad has a corporation and the payments were split between kids and grandkids when they appeared on the show. I was glad to hear they included the grandkids in the earning structure of the show. 

9 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

After the Ruby Franke case, I don't think it is shaming to consider the health and well being of children you see on social media. 

Edited by gobucks
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

They are definitely underfed as well as poorly fed.

• Upvote 5

On 6/22/2024 at 1:53 AM, HereticHick said:

Those are my words. I know what I meant, and I said what I said.

and I endorsed them for a thread title and I got it and it made me chuckle 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1