• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

image.png.c7bc10ffa5c880acf40cad12526069ee.png

• Haha 6

image.png.817dbca767f6cd1ef8bba4ce70b6e68b.png

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurkerOG said:

Ok But... objectifying a woman and her body 

Yeah I was a bit uncomfortable with that meme too. It feels too much like the creepy fan fic pictures of a very buff Trump, or really any of the Trump fan fic pictures.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.png.817dbca767f6cd1ef8bba4ce70b6e68b.png

Sure, dumbass go ahead lol I'm no TS fan, but they'll help us! 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Yeah I was a bit uncomfortable with that meme too. It feels too much like the creepy fan fic pictures of a very buff Trump, or really any of the Trump fan fic pictures.

So does the actual Statue of Liberty objectify women as well? Or is it just the dress you object to?

Screenshot2024-08-219_15_48AM.png.e7f7c603b6bb450fd8ac98034adfead5.png

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 7

image.png.5ff84cbd890e0bf01e18d1262465915d.png

• Upvote 6

image.png.9984dfee14ea6d87fedfbd21e95a03e3.png

• Upvote 5

image.png.315eb3bb63638e8225471b1f330fa539.png

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

I love Mrs. Betty Bowers:

image.png.8d6ab9e9b6e4f4996b38361cd8ceb858.png

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

image.png.6839b3bb2ac9e9d7b92191e8886f8660.png

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

So does the actual Statue of Liberty objectify women as well? Or is it just the dress you object to?

Screenshot2024-08-219_15_48AM.png.e7f7c603b6bb450fd8ac98034adfead5.png

Um, that should be obvious... the way the dress is and her body is depicted. And I'm not Black, but I understand cultural context, and have a very diverse family. Objectifying and sexualizing the body of a Black / Indian American woman, really? (there's research, too on the impact on girls and women; I read something for work today actually)

The point I'm trying to make is completely different though, than dumbasses who try to blame women for how they dress. ("asking for it" BS)

What someone chooses to wear for herself is one thing, but this is different. 

Edited by LongTimeLurkerOG
Clarity
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, LongTimeLurkerOG said:

Um, that should be obvious... the way the dress is and her body is depicted. And I'm not Black, but I understand cultural context, and have a very diverse family. Objectifying and sexualizing the body of a Black / Indian American woman, really? (there's research, too on the impact on girls and women; I read something for work today actually)

The point I'm trying to make is completely different though, than dumbasses who try to blame women for how they dress. ("asking for it" BS)

What someone chooses to wear for herself is one thing, but this is different. 

Yes, thank you for verbalizing this.  The actual statue of liberty shows no cleavage or thigh.  This image overrides Kamala's dignity and gravitas in favor of titillation.  In fact, I would not be surprised if it were actually created to do just that.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Becky said:

Yes, thank you for verbalizing this.  The actual statue of liberty shows no cleavage or thigh.  This image overrides Kamala's dignity and gravitas in favor of titillation.  In fact, I would not be surprised if it were actually created to do just that.  

That's exactly what it is... rather than Madonna/whore, the bitch/sexy (to put it nicely). Pantsuit comments previously... They devalue women (obviously). My brain can't think of other words right now lol I'll post more later. It's like the Duggars, etc. ideology... women are just a vessel (vomit), and try to or do take away or minimize our power 

• Upvote 1

I feel like I'm the one who started the discussion of Kamala Harris and Donald Trump and the images and icons that are used for them, like the picture of Kamala Harris is the Statue of Liberty so I want  to weigh in with my thoughts.

The way that Kamala is portrayed as the Statue of Liberty, and Donald Trump has been portrayed in many ways, from superhero to savior feels too much like putting a regular person in in religious iconography. I see Uncle Sam and the Statue of Liberty as symbols of the United States and for me it's very distasteful to see a real human face being superimposed on what I consider as an icon of the United States. In my mind it almost turns these people into idols when they're just people.

I guess I see the Statue of Liberty and Uncle Sam and the bald eagle and some of the other symbols as permanent symbols of the United states, not to be co-opted by one person or one party. 

I hope that makes sense to someone else too.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I understand the concern, and yeah the high slit there and cleavage weren't necessary. If the pic was approved by Kamala I'd be all for it though just as it is - to me it appears powerful and strong and unapologetically feminine, and there's nothing wrong with that. But because it's not from her or approved by her (to my knowledge) it does seem potentially objectifying. 

But if she chose to wear that exact dress somewhere and have a photoshoot done? I'd think it was amazing. It's not what I'd consider skimpy, even with the high slit, the cleavage just seems pretty average for that sort of dress for anyone with much boob, and the pose isn't in any way provocative. To me it looks almost confronting... like "Yep, I'm a woman, and I'm not a 20-year-old, and I'm intelligent and competent. I'm also beautiful and strong and in control. Deal with it."

I don't know that there's any good in depicting her that way, but I can see why many people might look at that (including me when I first glanced at it) and been like "Hell yeah! She can be presidential and powerful and in control and also be beautiful and sexy and whatever else she wants!" I can see why it comes off as objectification, but it also to me initially came off as kind of an affirmation - our first serious female candidate for president was Hillary Clinton, queen of the pantsuit. Which is great, and frankly pantsuits are probably more comfortable than skirts and dresses in many situations, and are feminine in their own right. But there's something inspiring about a potential female president being depicted in a more stereotypical feminine way while still appearing strong and powerful. She doesn't have to cosplay as an old white dude to have the same influence and power as the old white dudes do, if that makes sense.

She's an attorney, so for business type situations I'd expect some variation of suits. But if she dressed in a beautiful flowy dress for the inaugural ball, red carpet event, or a (evening) royal wedding or some other appropriate situation I'd be all for it. If she wore a pretty summery dress for a luncheon in the rose garden, or a springy dress for the Easter Egg Roll, that'd be awesome. She's going to have to navigate how a female president should dress, and I'm sure she'll rock it, but I do hope she works in some outfits here and there that aren't stereotypical suits. Wear the Chuck Taylors. Attending a fancy event in India or with Indian American community leaders? She's got every right to wear a Sari if she chose to. Attending a church event? Wear a church dress and fancy hat if she wants.

I doubt she'll ever put on something with that much cleavage or that high a thigh slit, for sure. And if she did hoo boy there'd be an outcry from the prudes. But I hope she does push the expectations a little here and there, where she can. If she chooses to. I'd rather see her try some Princess Di fashion efforts than just wonder what color pantsuit she'll wear to each event.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

image.png.15495585a917d344e50268a145afb80f.png

• Upvote 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic