IGNORED

Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 4: Plotting The Grift for the New Location

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, MargieB said:

Does anyone really believe their memoir will ever be written? 

I wasn't expecting it earlier but this last post would've smashed any expectations I might've still had. They all but tell people it's rude to keep asking.

12 hours ago, grateful3 said:

Accounting would be an excellent idea. I think they did the books for Pa Jeub at a young age. I'm currently working on my accounting degree completely online through the local University. It's second week and I've already seen multiple internships that are also work from home.

Ah, but then they might have to meet DEADLINES :o Which they've made clear they can't. They forgot to explain what they're doing to solve that issue, which very conveniently means there's basically not a job in the world they can do. (Except maybe uncommissioned arts and crafts where they just sell what they happened to finish, but for most people that's a pocket money hobby, not a job.)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I haven't read enough of their writing to know if this sounds like them or not. To me it feels like someone outside of Ryann and Art helped Art phrase things in a much less whiny, entitled way than what I've become used to from them over the last year or so. Time will tell. 

Art has said they are in therapy.  It is possible they are still seeing the same provider.  They never made it clear if they were going in person or not before but my daughter's therapist will do virtual as well.  Although the health insurance in another state is probably prohibiting that (medicaid in their new state).  Either way, they could have worded this with phrasing and verbiage from their therapist. 

I am really curious about their new apartment.  I wish they had posted some pictures (empty is fine).  I can't remember if they said it was a studio or not like their previous place.  I wonder with Art and Ryan do all day.  At some point it must get boring to lay in bed all day every day.  Do they go out for walks?  Is there anything within walking distance that they enjoy doing?  Do they visit Ryan's sister or does she come see them?  None of that gives away their location but would be good blog stuff. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

10 minutes ago, keepercjr said:

Art has said they are in therapy.  It is possible they are still seeing the same provider.  They never made it clear if they were going in person or not before but my daughter's therapist will do virtual as well.  Although the health insurance in another state is probably prohibiting that (medicaid in their new state).  Either way, they could have worded this with phrasing and verbiage from their therapist. 

I am really curious about their new apartment.  I wish they had posted some pictures (empty is fine).  I can't remember if they said it was a studio or not like their previous place.  I wonder with Art and Ryan do all day.  At some point it must get boring to lay in bed all day every day.  Do they go out for walks?  Is there anything within walking distance that they enjoy doing?  Do they visit Ryan's sister or does she come see them?  None of that gives away their location but would be good blog stuff. 

I mean they’ve said that they have to use wet wipes sometimes because they can’t shower.  I believe Ryann may be in a wheelchair but Art is not.  I don’t understand how someone could be so lazy.  And I don’t think they leave the apartment or even their bed much.  Not getting up and walking around makes it harder to do it when you need to.  And therefore makes Art think they can’t do any work when they can.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, keepercjr said:

None of that gives away their location but would be good blog stuff. 

But if they show themselves actively doing fun things people will say the could use that same energy to work a paying job. It's a bit like Jill's Plexus/ministry conundrum where Plexus wants people to flood their social media with "look how glitzy my life is!" content while the ministry needs her to look poor and hardworking in order to bring in the donations. 

• Upvote 7

On 8/27/2024 at 9:56 AM, Maggie Mae said:

Art thinks they can't do things because of lack of education, but what's more important is showing up, being agreeable, being passionate, and going the extra mile. 

The jobs Art is applying for apparently fit into their idea of ones you can do without qualifications. If Art's disabilities mean they can't keep showing up or do physical labour then they need to look at casual and more online work. 

At this point I doubt the memoir will be written but if Art confirms that then the Patreon likely dies as well. 

• Upvote 2

I think it may be too late for the book.  The Jeubs were on TV in 2007 and 2009.  I'm sure a lot of people have forgotten the Jeubs.  Artemis no longer has the name recognition that came from being Cynthia Jeub.  Other ex-fundies, such as Jill Duggar, have already written about escaping a cult.   Artemis has written so much on their blog about their upbringing that I don't know what else they could cover; my curiousity is satisfied.  I think they have taken so long with the "writing" process that their will not be a market for their book.  I doubt if they were planning to self publish it.

Edited by MargieB
Spelling
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, MargieB said:

I think it may be too late for the book.  The Jeubs were on TV in 2007 and 2009.  I'm sure a lot of people have forgotten the Jeubs.  Artemis no longer has the name recognition that came from being Cynthia Jeub.  Other ex-fundies, such as Jill Duggar, have already written about escaping a cult.   Artemis has written so much on their blog about their upbringing that I don't know what else they could cover; my curiousity is satisfied.  I think they have taken so long with the "writing" process that their will not be a market for their book.  I doubt if they were planning to self publish it.

Agree, and the Jeubs were never huge in the first place. They (Chris) certainly thought / acted like they were, but they were part of a series of families and then in one episode of a show that looked at more than one. That’s it. They tried to be “DuggarLevel” but failed miserably. 
Likewise, Art would just be joining a line of memoirs now - we’ve had some from the Westboro Baptist Church, we’ve had a Duggar book, several from the FLDS. It’s nothing new. Art should have struck when the iron was hot. 
If they had the willingness and motivation, they could write a great book about pulling yourself up from nothing. Jill was never truly in financial danger based on who she is. Westboro, despite everything, ensured their children were educated and pushed careers. Art left the Jeubs with nothing. That could have been a good angle. But they’re still not doing anything so hardly inspiring.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Agree, and the Jeubs were never huge in the first place. They (Chris) certainly thought / acted like they were, but they were part of a series of families and then in one episode of a show that looked at more than one. That’s it. They tried to be “DuggarLevel” but failed miserably. 
Likewise, Art would just be joining a line of memoirs now - we’ve had some from the Westboro Baptist Church, we’ve had a Duggar book, several from the FLDS. It’s nothing new. Art should have struck when the iron was hot. 
If they had the willingness and motivation, they could write a great book about pulling yourself up from nothing. Jill was never truly in financial danger based on who she is. Westboro, despite everything, ensured their children were educated and pushed careers. Art left the Jeubs with nothing. That could have been a good angle. But they’re still not doing anything so hardly inspiring.

This is an interesting take! I always think there is a small market for a well-written memoir on escaping a cult (family or otherwise) or an abusive past. However, we are discussing a theoretical book that will never be written, so it's just a thought experiment at this point. I think it was over with the name change. People shorten Artemis to Art to make it sound more normal, but the reality is that a name like Artemis Stardust is not serious, not a good pen name, and has nothing to do with their past.

So, given all that, I agree with Artemis that they should just move on and not waste their time retriggering themselves by digging up memories since it seems to take so much away from their mental state. They should focus on finding some simple work they can do consistently, and if that is too lofty of a goal, break up that goal into smaller goals. Start with volunteering or something. SOMETHING. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9

They should take my doctor's advice:  get out of the house every day.  Even if it's just a stroll around the block go get some fresh air and natural light. A side benefit it makes sure you are out of pajamas for at least a little while and that's great for mental health.  I was already getting outside after surgery, but he thought it was worth emphasizing.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 3

I have ADHD and have struggled my entire life with anxiety and depression.  Having a set routine where I get up and dressed right away is essential to my ability to function during the day. Eating well and going outside are essential to my mental health. I’ve had to be really serious with myself about food recently, because the more sugar and crap I ate the worse I was feeling.  

All that to say it’s always the little things (sleep, food, exercise, routine) that end up making my life and days manageable and good. I’ve been a SAHM mom for years now, but I have always thrived with routine, even if it wasn’t what I wanted. When I had a job it was easier with the imposed routine. These days it’s the school year. I still struggle in summer when I have to make up a routine, not just for myself, but also for the kids. 

I understand Art’s struggles, but I honestly think there are things they could do to help themselves a bit. It’s really basic stuff though, and it doesn’t feel like it should matter, which makes it hard to start doing it. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

I have a family member with a mental health disability similar to Art's and it is true...my family member can land a job and perform well for a time until mental health takes a total, apocalyptic sh*t. They loose everything--house, roommates, partners, friends, thousands and thousands of dollars. With the way state or federal disability works, you have to stop working for a period of time to show you are unable/un-employable. This is the phase Art is in...and it is very depressing and very hard to be very poor. It is also challenging to see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and the best skill learned from family of origin has been begging. I wonder if Art sees the similarities... 

Put in the hands of a more worldly editor, I think Art's early blog posts could be published "as is" with some notes and context. But Art seems unable to let them stand without word vomiting about what their views are now, what has changed. For example....would Anne Frank's diary be compelling if an adult went through and changed everything that was juvenile, or immature, or outdated, or incorrect? 

I agree...the publishing market has shifted and there probably isn't as much interest as when "Educated" first hit.

Edited by QuittersTry
  • Upvote 13

I don't know whether Artemis' disability keeps them from working but I doubt it.  They do not want the jobs (such as call center work) that they are qualified for because the work is too demeaning.  I have worked with quite a few people suffering from mental disabilities -- depression, bipolar, and PTSD (Vietnam).  I have suffered from depression from age nine.  Yes, sometimes it is really difficult to get out of bed and do things but just lying in bed accomplishes nothing.   I think what bothers me about Artemis is that they don't even TRY.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Art learned to grift and learned from the best Chris Jeub. They may have "escaped" but has that same mentality that the world owes them something. They may not be fundie but the pendulum has swung the other direction to think they deserve handouts when they wont do anything to help themselves. Their story when it hit was hot news, but that time has long since come and gone. They will eventually get cut off from mooching off family and strangers and then hopefully the reality check will set in that there are no free rides in life. 

8 hours ago, MargieB said:

I don't know whether Artemis' disability keeps them from working but I doubt it.  They do not want the jobs (such as call center work) that they are qualified for because the work is too demeaning.  I have worked with quite a few people suffering from mental disabilities -- depression, bipolar, and PTSD (Vietnam).  I have suffered from depression from age nine.  Yes, sometimes it is really difficult to get out of bed and do things but just lying in bed accomplishes nothing.   I think what bothers me about Artemis is that they don't even TRY.

I take it you haven't fallen down the thismadmama rabbit hole? She is the worst of them all she refuses to get a job having 12 kids. She would constantly beg fans for everything from funding trips to Christmas, but would blow it on junk given by "fans". Well CPS ended up removing her younger kids and she knowingly let her oldest daughter's father live in the home and have access to her youngest children. He committed CSA on her eldest and who knows who else. She has refused to wok this entire time and has always begged her followers for money.

Well CPS removed her youngest kids from the home and she's given conflicting stories, but won't own up to the CSA among other unsafe things is why they were removed. It was all public record of his arrest by the way. She refuses to do anything but beg online. Her 16 year old daughter has a job and goes to school. While she sits home doing nothing. It's heartbreaking to see her so stuck in a victim mentality and taking no responsibility for the danger she put her kids in. Even worse her house is set to be condemned and people have given her ample solutions for help. Like get a job to show you can do SOMETHING while your house is going to be condemned. Her littles in foster care are thriving however and look amazing well feed, gained weight, and her little girls always visit with the cutest little hairstyles. She just doesn't care to try and I don't think she will ever get her kids back she's done nothing to try but make tiktoks for money. Sorry for the novel.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 2

It seems to me , from what I have just now read from their blog , quoted below , that they had never really made preparation for a future way of life , as an adult .  And while I don't wish to rush to judgement about what the situation is , and assume what they're thinking , until such time as they log in here , and respond themselves , all that we have to go on is whatever they choose to post to their blog . If they are even being honest with themself , much less their audience.  

I honestly didn’t expect to live this long. As a child, I didn’t think about what I wanted to be when I grew up, because I didn’t think I would live that long. I was told so many horror stories about how the rest of the world was determined to persecute Christians, I thought I was going to be killed for my faith. I thought if I was lucky, I’d only be shot and have it over quickly. However, I wanted desperately to be one of those god thought of as strong and worthy enough to endure torture without denying him. That’s what I was taught was the most righteous, honorable way to be in the kingdom of god – to take up your cross and follow Jesus.... 

Our lives are brief. The existence of our entire species is brief. The existence of our planet itself is brief. We know enough about space now to measure boggling lifespans of gigantic things, and we are so very small in this universe. As my last therapist would say, I wouldn’t expect to wake up and be able to control the trajectory of the planets; so why should I fixate on other aspects of life that are outside of my control?

I am learning about control and patience through a deep meditation practice. I am learning that I cannot control what other people think of me, but I can gradually alter how I think about myself. I am not the center of the universe, and I don’t expect that my birthday means much to others. Rather, I record these posts to mark milestones in my development. Anyone who reads along is welcome to garner what they wish for themselves.

I am better than I’ve ever been in my life, and that’s magnificent. My mental health is more stable than ever. My physical health is better managed than it was when I was trying to understand the influence of demons at battle with angels, treating symptoms with alternative medicines. I have a toolkit of coping skills to rely on when things are difficult. I have a trusted community to turn to for support. I love my partner with more authentic intimacy than I could have previously imagined. I even appreciate knowing my cats as fellow creatures on this earth who just need space and care.

Today will not be spent celebrating. We’re flying the rest of the way to our moving destination, and late at night we will finally arrive in our new home.

I cannot thank you all enough for joining me on this journey of learning and growth. Thank you for your support over the years, and for helping us move again. We have high hopes for this new location. It means everything to be able to turn to our community for care.  Link to Their Blog Post

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/1/2024 at 10:26 AM, QuittersTry said:

Put in the hands of a more worldly editor, I think Art's early blog posts could be published "as is" with some notes and context. But Art seems unable to let them stand without word vomiting about what their views are now, what has changed. For example....would Anne Frank's diary be compelling if an adult went through and changed everything that was juvenile, or immature, or outdated, or incorrect? 

I agree...the publishing market has shifted and there probably isn't as much interest as when "Educated" first hit.

I agree with all of this, and have often thought that their early blogposts could have been made into a book with a little massaging. I think Artemis even had an interested publisher at some point. But they failed to produce, and right around that time changed their name and lost any name brand recognition they might have been able to use to their advantage. It's hard to sell yourself as a product, memoir is very personal. I'm glad they have a blog as an outlet, but I don't see it gaining the traction of their former trajectory.

I read their recent post about passion. It was meh. Appeals to a 12 year old intellect, perhaps. Artemis has downsized themselves to some really narrow aspects of their former selves-- an abused kid from a dysfunctional family who never saw themselves living this long, but is "SO passionate about saving the world" (I see no evidence of this aside from the rage posting on social media). I grew up with martyr culture too, but managed to see past the end of the world rhetoric and entertained a future where I survived into adulthood (and therefore made some plans, all of which basically fell through but that's life). I think they are just trying to fit into victim culture in any possible way. 

"But what can I do? I used to think my writing was a major factor in changing hearts and minds, sparking this passion in others.

I’m not so sure anymore." So much drama. So little meaning.

The blog and name are generic and sophomoric, and in taking this turn they've deliberately cut themselves off from the adult world and handicapped themselves needlessly. If they want to circle that drain, they need to get back on their continuing education/"high school as an adult" track. This whole thing is giving Flowers For Algernon vibes. 

• Upvote 8

Does anyone know if they've been meditating for a long time? I love meditation and think it's a healthy habit but people who don't have their feet planted firmly in reality (and possibly call themselves names like "Artemis" or even "Stardust") who suddenly mention their "deep meditation practice" can be easy prey for more cultish groups who pretend it's basically magic.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

They've mentioned it a few times over the years. No idea how serious a practice it's been, but it's not a new thing.

As for their name, it's not unusual for trans people to choose out-there names. "Stardust" was picked because of the famous Carl Sagan quote. People who don't grow up with a strong basis in science or fact sometimes get attached to pop astronomy or physics out of a longing for something concrete. Source: I've seen how overeager people glom onto my physicist and chemist in-laws. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

I think Artemis enjoys being a victim.  They are immersed in self-pity.  They can't do ANYTHING because they are disabled and uneducated. They talk about being passionate about justice but they do nothing.  Artemis does not vote. Writing letters to the editor must be too much work so they just blog about it which is basically useless since they do not have a lot of followers.  Artemis really does not seem interested in justice for anyone that is not like them -- gay, disabled, and unemployed.  The only thing Artemis has shown any passion for is grifting large amounts of money for their personal needs.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9

19 hours ago, Willowfer said:

They've mentioned it a few times over the years. No idea how serious a practice it's been, but it's not a new thing.

As for their name, it's not unusual for trans people to choose out-there names. "Stardust" was picked because of the famous Carl Sagan quote. People who don't grow up with a strong basis in science or fact sometimes get attached to pop astronomy or physics out of a longing for something concrete. Source: I've seen how overeager people glom onto my physicist and chemist in-laws. 

Stardust is a troll on last names, period. Might as well be Twinkletoes. I think they are picking "fun" at people who take names seriously, so they are like, "watch me take a name that is so ridiculous it is in direct opposition to the sensible name I was given at birth." It's just variations on the theme of "everything I was taught was wrong" and it's all bs. 

But, Stardust aside (I read their past explanation of it, I still think it's a mockery of social norms) can you explain Artemis to me? If they didn't want to be seen as she/her, why pick an inherently feminine name? The whole things feels like a mockery of convention, and they are entitled to make that statement with their name (it's their choice), but that doesn't mean they are off the hook for it. It's trollolol all the way home. 

They posted this quote on their social media about the heaviness of names:

"Parents set themselves up for failure by giving their kids names that mean too much. Some people put so much weight in names, and how is a baby supposed to carry anything so heavy as their parents’ dreams?"

@RantingOwl

(From the book Ariel Crashes a Train)

Anyways. It's just so ridiculous. Reminds me of that Rachel chick with her pomes. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, formerhsfundie said:

But, Stardust aside (I read their past explanation of it, I still think it's a mockery of social norms) can you explain Artemis to me? If they didn't want to be seen as she/her, why pick an inherently feminine name? The whole things feels like a mockery of convention, and they are entitled to make that statement with their name (it's their choice), but that doesn't mean they are off the hook for it. It's trollolol all the way home. 

I don't remember them saying anything about why they chose "Artemis" as a first name. Maybe it's a holdover from their pagan phase? Maybe they just think it's neat? IDK, I'm non-binary and have no interest in changing my feminine given name, though I usually go by nicknames. I think one of the consequences of living in a country where adults are allowed to change their names to whatever is that sometimes people will choose names we hate or think are childish. For me, at least, I think having the freedom is more important than adherence to a style guide, even if I do agree that some names are terrible ideas. I hope Art gave "Artemis" enough thought to understand that it'll come with a lot of people assuming it's a woman's name. Maybe they gave it a lot of consideration and are fine with it? Fingers crossed for their own sanity, I guess.

• Upvote 4

To me "Artemis Stardust" just means "look at how special I am! They may have a great reason for picking this combo but it clearly isn't jumping out at others. Which of course may make them feel even more special in a "normies could never understand" kind of way. 

If I didn't know about the godess the name Artemis wouldn't scream feminine to me and she's not the most commonly known out there in modern times so maybe they thought people wouldn't clock it as female? Like only someone as special as them would know that much about mythology? Would be ridiculous but I think it might match how they see themselves in comparison to the rest of the world.

Edited by MariaariaM
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

Some of grew up watching Ross Martin play the male character Artemis Gordon in the Wild, Wild West.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

some trans or nonbinary people try to pick something similar to their origin name to make the transition for other people easier. so Maddie to Matthew or Bailey to Bryan. considering Artemis real name is Cynthia, they could have gone by Cy, pronounced "sigh" or Cyril, Cyrus, Cyd. Artemis Stardust just seems like art wanted a name they deemed as "cool". but honestly makes them standout in a negative way since people know art did it on purpose and probably wasn't named that at birth. And if Art wants to change their last name why doing they just takes their partners last name. They said a while ago they were engaged and tried to thrift money for a courthouse wedding. with matching tailored tuxedos and custom rainbow rings. Art if your health  and death wishes are so important to you  just go to the courthouse and get married, you dont need to beg hard workin people for money so you can have pride rings and a custom tuxedo, there are suits at the thrift shop and cheap rings anywhere

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I know a trans person (male to female). It’s been about a year since they came out. Their birth name is Harry but they go by Hari.  Saw new pictures of them today & they look like a natural female. 

• Upvote 4

I would say that if Art isn't fundraising, that their basic needs are being met by their income.  Sure they aren't going to go out to dinner or buy lottery tickets but if their basic needs are met, they can work towards other goals without the stress of knowing if they can make rent or pay for utilities.

image.png.6b586d4d9c727fafac9189d39934c6da.png

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 4