IGNORED

Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 4: Plotting The Grift for the New Location

Coconut Flan

31 minutes ago, LurkyLurkerson said:

They couldn't help themselves, their opening paragraph dangles the possibility that they'll need another fully-funded (as when isn't it) move in the near future. Or more likely a move that's actually pretty straightforward which they pretend requires $$$ donations. 

The laundry not working will probably feature in the next move.

20 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

What do other people do?  

Well personally I just manifest the furniture into the new location using the power of my mind. /s

I think Art thinks everyone hires movers to do all the packing and unloading. Some people do, or partially hire them to move the heavy stuff. Most people still go through and work out what needs to go and what doesn't so they're not either moving or paying to have unnecessary stuff shifted. From memory we started the actual downsizing and packing process about a week after we bought the house (and finished a week after settlement), but like many we were also both working full time.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

I don’t understand why Art feels the need to mention in nearly every post that they are disabled. Unless Ryan’s doctor specifically recommended they move to their new location, disabilities are not relevant to moving. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

22 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

I don’t understand why Art feels the need to mention in nearly every post that they are disabled. Unless Ryan’s doctor specifically recommended they move to their new location, disabilities are not relevant to moving. 

I think Artemis feels being disabled is a free pass.  Get a job?  No, I AM DISABLED.  Expect special privileges? Yes, BECAUSE I AM DISABLED. 

I have known disabled people and none of them bring it up in ordinary conversation and they have jobs.  Art is just plain lazy.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 12

6 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

My father was an alcoholic and open about it. It was his excuse for everything and he expected that he not only got cut him slack, but to manage everything so he could spend his days drinking in front of the tv. My mother spend her days the same but hid the fact she was as much an alcoholic like him. I became the life manager in my early teens. Art reminds me a lot of my parents with her constant begging, demanding and mentioning of disability. 

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 20

14 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

The laundry not working will probably feature in the next move.

Since that happened and electricity was weird for the first couple of days my money is on them claiming their landlord is abusive.

• Upvote 11

I wonder if Artemis realizes they are just like Chris. The religion is now “disability” instead of Jesus but it is all the same.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 24
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

My money is on Ryan's lungs... the new, different climate will be harmful to them. (and that whole premise is entirely plausible) At the moment they are secretive about their new location (if they even moved out of Seattle at all) so it would be easy to claim that the climate is bad for them.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Watch them suddenly discover they oopsie moved to a poor air quality area. 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

You would think they would have checked with Ryan's doctor regarding the suitability of the climate for his lungs but with these two clowns, who knows?

When I was a child in Illinois, I had really severe asthma and the doctors advised my parents to move to a better climate (and told my parents what areas would be best) or send me to National Jewish in Denver.  My dad transferred and we moved to Denver.  My parents would not have moved to a place without the assurance that my health would improve.  Rational people check these things out ahead of time.

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

One thing we have learned about these two is that they don't do the usual, rational, practical thing very often.  They either have never learned how to investigate alternatives and find a low cost option or they think that is beneath them.  They want a well funded person's life while on the barely stay alive SSI budget.  

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

On 8/2/2024 at 8:19 PM, GreenBeans said:

It is way more convenient and less of a hassle to just switch planes, with bags checked through to your final destination, than getting off the plane in the middle of the trip with your cats, picking up all the bags from the baggage claim, getting transport from the airport to wherever you’re going carrying all your bags and the cats, unpacking what you need during these days fron your carefully packed bags, then packing everything again a couple days later, hauling it all back to the airport, being there early killing time with bags and cats, checking all the bags again and going through security with mobility aids and cats again…

I've just returned from an international trip to visit family that involved 2 long flights and I'm astounded by how much more of a toll this took on me than a similar journey did 3 years earlier. This time, I had connecting flights instead of the last trip's straight shot. Yes, a superlong flight is brutal but not as brutal as 2 longish flights with a layover in between, and I didn't even have to leave the airport. For all the reasons @GreenBeans has listed, it seems insane to me that they fashioned their trip as they did. 

I could have almost gotten behind them grifting for the extra money to avoid a layover of any length given their physical limitations. What they did boggles the mind. It seems like so much work

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new here, but I've been following Artemis's story and this thread for quite some time, so I wanted to give my input, if that's okay. 

I have a friend from college who is a lot like Artemis: neurodivergent, trans, and was disowned by his conservative Christian parents and homeless for a time. Unlike Artemis, he now has a stable job and doesn't ask for money unless he gets desperate, but he has a lot of the same personality traits: arrogant, black and white thinking, nothing is ever his fault. He's had problems with literally every roommate he's ever had, which makes me suspect that he's unpleasant to live with. He's always pulling the "ableism" card and seems to think everyone is out to get him. He went on a rant on Facebook about how his doctor was trying to get him to eat healthier and warning him he might develop diabetes if he didn't change his diet, and he brushed it all off as "fat shaming." Sure enough, he got diabetes and blamed it on "healthy foods not being affordable" but I call bullshit. He has the money to go to out of state concerts regularly, so he can afford healthy food, he just chooses not to eat it. He seems to have an excuse for everything and thinks he is right about everything. He's blown up at me and others on Facebook for not using 100% politically correct jargon for disabled people (idk if my words really were "politically incorrect" or if he was just being an ass.) Like Artemis, he's not very religious anymore but seems to have made disability his new religion, like having an unhealthy obsession with it. Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for my friend, I empathize with him because I'm also on the spectrum, but at the same time I'm getting fed up with his attitude. 

I'm wondering if this is a universal thing among people who leave Evangelical Christianity and have never learned how to undo their condescending attitude towards people who don't think the way they do, or think outside of black and white terms? Especially if they're neurodivergent? I was raised by atheist parents and don't know much about how religious deconstruction works, so I have to ask. 

Edited by Lightfyre
  • Upvote 30

On 8/14/2024 at 4:32 PM, Lightfyre said:

I'm wondering if this is a universal thing among people who leave Evangelical Christianity and have never learned how to undo their condescending attitude towards people who don't think the way they do, or think outside of black and white terms?

I think it's a family trait among these people. They are more likely to join a religion in the first place, due to their inability to see nuance. IE, I don't think it's because of religion, I think they are like that and therefore more likely to be religious in the first place. 

I've seen similar black and white thinking in many fandoms as well - some people just don't understand the concept of moral relativism or even just context.  For example: Shameless.  If you haven't seen the show, it was a comedy-drama on cable, starring William H Macy as an alcoholic, drug-addicted father of 6.  His six kids are raising themselves, the mother left town, etc.  Antics happen. But some people who watch the show do not understand that Macy's character is written to be bad, but that still makes him an interesting tv character. They get so upset when you say anything like "oh, he's great on that show."

Or another example - politics.  I have a coworker who does NOT understand that when I talk about local politicians in my work capacity (making judgments like x is a good candidate, because (list reasons)) is not me agreeing with that particular politician's policy.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

Has Art suddenly become a model citizen, working 9-5 to support themselves and their partner, or have people just become bored of their antics so they're not posting them here? 

Edited by MariaariaM
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, MariaariaM said:

Has Art suddenly become a model citizen, working 9-5 to support themselves and their partner, or have people just become bored of their antics so they're not posting them here? 

I think it's because nothing's happening with them at the moment. 

While I don't want to criticize Art too much for not working, because we truly do not know how bad their disability is and it could be they truly can't work, I agree that they need to do something other than grift. People have given them suggestions on how to improve their life and Art just ignores them, which is frustrating.

Edited by Lightfyre
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Didn't they move close to Ryan's family? Maybe the family is taking care of some of their needs. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

Maybe they grifted enough money to last them through August.  Seems unlikely since money seems to flow through their hands like water but it is remotely possible.

I think Artemis posted something recently in Patreon but I refuse to pay any money to support them so I cannot access it.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:44 AM, Coconut Flan said:

One thing we have learned about these two is that they don't do the usual, rational, practical thing very often.  They either have never learned how to investigate alternatives and find a low cost option or they think that is beneath them.  They want a well funded person's life while on the barely stay alive SSI budget.  

They live like they have a trust fund. Shipping art supplies and canvases across the country; putting together puzzles and asking strangers to pay for their partner's birthday trip to the museum instead of using the free passes. It's not even champagne taste on a beer budget anymore, it's just out-of-touch behavior that doesn't match their income or lifestyle.  

I just can't with the "starving artist" nonsense. I grew up in a very artistic community and know many people who went to art school. I also applied to art school and took a couple of classes at the community college that shared professors with the "real" schools. Almost every single "artist" comes from a wealthy family. Art supplies are expensive. It's time-consuming. And the job prospects - let's be real. Unless you go into graphic design, corporate art, or commercial advertising, artists aren't making a living. Most are propped up by other sources of income - day jobs, parents, trust funds, wealthy spouses or significant others. 

Of course it would be wonderful if everyone who has talent gets to go to art school, and those who show a gift for writing can write books and those who are great at managing budgets and people should run businesses and governments; but that's not how the world works anymore. Art needs to grow up. It's a hobby. If they want to make money writing, they could try writing for Carina Press https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit (basically harlequin dime store novels - there's a formula and they accept unsolicited manuscripts without an agent). It's a writing job that can be done at home. They could blog regularly. Start a podcast or something. What do they do all day? They can't run errands and shop without money.

• Upvote 9

This is their newest blog post titled "Whats Going on With the Memoir"

In 2015, I started a Patreon and announced that I was beginning work on a memoir about growing up in a large (or should I say gigantic?) Christian, conservative family.

I am the third oldest child of 16 children, and while most of my siblings would end up getting some primary schooling, two of us were entirely homeschooled from Kindergarten through, well…whenever our parents decided we should say we’d graduated high school. It wasn’t really based on any academic performance, because we were expected to teach ourselves once we learned how to read.

I didn’t have an official release date for this memoir. I still don’t. This is because the results of such a complex background caught up with me very quickly. Within days of my first blog post about my parents’ neglect and abuse, I needed to take mental health time away from my day job. In the years that followed, I struggled a lot with career options. It wasn’t just that I couldn’t get jobs – a major problem itself – but when I did, I couldn’t keep them.

My mental and physical health deteriorated quickly. It would only take five years for me to be unable to show up consistently anymore, even for the most basic part-time work. I tried everything I could with my limited skill set and educational neglect: dishwashing, cooking, copywriting, nannying, freelance, grocery store delis…the list goes on. Not having consistent work makes the rest of life inconsistent, too: everything from financial stability to a daily routine goes out the window.

Throughout all this, I’m extremely grateful to say that many generous people came through for me. They supported my writing on Patreon and helped me fill in the gaps between to cover my needs. They even sent gifts to support my writing. It’s impossible to describe what it feels like to be believed in when you’re too worn down to believe in yourself. Thank you all so much for everything you’ve done to help me out.

For the past few years, I’ve been relying entirely on writing and fundraising while I work on my disability benefits case. This kind of living is not sustainable and it means being extremely poor. This desperate situation is the reality for many disabled people in the United States, and even with the prospect of eventually winning my case, regular benefits do not offer a livable income.

The good thing is that I’ve been putting serious effort into my recovery, and it is paying off. I am both neurodivergent and disabled, but my depression has eased as I practice better coping. My ability to grasp hope has improved as I’ve allowed my perception of hope itself to shift. This is wonderful news! My outlook was once so bleak and dreary, and I don’t carry that heavy dread with me anymore.

My Complex PTSD symptoms are more managed, but one thing never fails to make them worse: writing about my trauma. This leaves me in a difficult position, because I don’t want to give up on writing. At the same time, I know I shouldn’t sacrifice my own livelihood and mental stability for it.

I still plan to return to writing my memoir, but I don’t know how long it will take to get from here to a finished book. Or multiple books to break it up into different topics? We’ll see.

What I need is to pursue a future I can look forward to, instead of emphasizing the past. More than that, I am learning how to be mindful of the present. I think to truly write something great, I need to have more education. The goal is to make that happen soon.

• Thank You 7

It all sounds so reasonable when you haven't seen their grifty ways in action...

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

Just another whine fest.  If they don't see disabilityy as a livable income, then why give up on everything else trying to get it?  Work on a plan to attain the income they think they can live on. I know that's a messy goal since I don't think they're changing their ridiculous expectations any time soon.  They're one of those people who start thinking of objections before they hear any possible solutions because they have no true desire to change anything.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

I haven't read enough of their writing to know if this sounds like them or not. To me it feels like someone outside of Ryann and Art helped Art phrase things in a much less whiny, entitled way than what I've become used to from them over the last year or so. Time will tell. 

• Upvote 2

Does anyone really believe their memoir will ever be written?  I think this is just another attempt to justify their grifting by exposing why they can't work or even finish the long-promised memoir (for 10+ years) in anticipation to their upcoming grifting campaign.

Edited by MargieB
Spelling
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Accounting would be an excellent idea. I think they did the books for Pa Jeub at a young age. I'm currently working on my accounting degree completely online through the local University. It's second week and I've already seen multiple internships that are also work from home.

• Upvote 4

Half the time I wish I had gone into accounting. I sometimes wish I had a job that had tangible work that I could point to, and a schedule where I could just leave it at the end of the day. And pay bills. In my area accounts are so rare - I've had the same accountant through 4 different companies. Same with bookkeeping - good bookkeeper make better than decent livings around here. 

Art thinks they can't do things because of lack of education, but what's more important is showing up, being agreeable, being passionate, and going the extra mile. 

I feel really sad that this person is so defeated in their early 30s. 

• Upvote 7